NTTR fps capped at 60

VladyVostok

Hello everyone!

I've got a strange issue: I recently bought the Nevada map, but my fps never go above 60 when I fly there. With the same settings, nothing changed in-game or in the Nvidia control panel, I got 100+ fps on the Caucasus map. Is Nevada fps-locked in some way due to technical reasons? Or is the problem on my end?

Don't get me wrong, it's not a big issue, I activated v-sync to have a stable 60fps on both maps and still have a good time, it's just that I know my rig could pump a bit more in the Nevada skies and I'd like to see it :)

Cheers!

Hello everyone!

I've got a strange issue: I recently bought the Nevada map, but my fps never go above 60 when I fly there. With the same settings, nothing changed in-game or in the Nvidia control panel, I got 100+ fps on the Caucasus map. Is Nevada fps-locked in some way due to technical reasons? Or is the problem on my end?

Don't get me wrong, it's not a big issue, I activated v-sync to have a stable 60fps on both maps and still have a good time, it's just that I know my rig could pump a bit more in the Nevada skies and I'd like to see it :)

Cheers!

If you have vSync switched on, that's why you're only seeing 60 FPS. vSync locks your frame rate to the refresh rate of the monitor. Try disabling it?

I definitely get more than 60 FPS on NTTR with vSync off.

Yes, when v-sync is on, I got 60fps on both maps and that's perfectly fine. But when it is off, I got 100+fps on Caucasus but it would not go above 60 on Nevada.

EDIT: after 20 minutes of tinkering with the nvidia control panel, my fps are cappedat 60 on Nevada but not on Caucasus, and I got screen tearing as well... which shouldn't happen with v-sync right? I am at a loss... is it because I have old installs of the game, namely my old steam version and a back up, stand alone 1.5 version?

Edited by VladyVostok

Is there any point in having vsync off? Surely having a frame rate higher than your monitor refresh rate is redundant.

Yeah, often regular vsync causes horrible input lag and genrally reduces performance. I'm not sure how freesync works but for gsync you should disable vsync ingame and turn vsync and gsync on in the nvcp.

This allows very high framerates without the input lag from normal vsync or tearing from having no sync at all.

And if you don't have freesync/gsync monitor you likely get better results by capping framerate to your refresh rate (60, 144, whatever) with software like rivatuner instead of using regular vsync.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Is there any point in having vsync off? Surely having a frame rate higher than your monitor refresh rate is redundant.

Yes, I have a 140Hz monitor with G-sync, maybe that's the culprit? I heard it caused a few issues in other games.

EDIT: welp, updating my graphics driver did the trick!

Edited by VladyVostok

Yeah, often regular vsync causes horrible input lag and genrally reduces performance. I'm not sure how freesync works but for gsync you should disable vsync ingame and turn vsync and gsync on in the nvcp.

This allows very high framerates without the input lag from normal vsync or tearing from having no sync at all.

And if you don't have freesync/gsync monitor you likely get better results by capping framerate to your refresh rate (60, 144, whatever) with software like rivatuner instead of using regular vsync.

I am not sure if its still required to turn v-sync off in game with g-sync. I don't and still get a variable synced refresh rate.