Quick first impression (VR)

dburne

VR, free flight:

Last night I purchased and installed Persian Gulf, and crisscrossed the map in the Mirage, with un altered graphic settings - same as I have been using for Caucasus, NTTR and Normandy.

For me it performs a hole lot better than Normandy, and even better than Caucasus. Id say slightly better than NTTR, albeit, I havent tried NTTR since 2.5 initial release. Even low trough Dubai and other major cities and harbor complexes, my fps only dipped below 45, to around 41 for split seconds, when loading stuff in. Was quite smooth actually. Often along coast lines and in the middle of nowhere, Id reach 90 fps. I circled, yanked and banked in many places, including Dubai, to see if I could trigger that annoying 30 fps 'issue' I have been encountering on the other maps, especially Normandy, and it never did. I was pleasantly surprised about its performance to be honest. I was down low at about 300 ft in Dubai, big harbor complexes, and everywhere else I was between 1000 and 5000 ft.

More testing to come with some action, once I have some sandbox put together.

And incase someone is wondering. Im only running DP 1.0 with no MSAA, but then use low shadows (no terrain shadows), medium visib distance and 25k preload radius. I have the best experience with low preload, the load stutters become much smaller and quicker for me. Im allergic to stutters, so I do everything I can to avoid them :)

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Yeah I apologise to anyone with ears. It was a dk move inspired by lack of sleep and never ending CTDs. I have been simming since Microprose F-119 and also know this region well. Just stressing out and posting instead of thinking.

The latest W10 update never completed because of a endless loop of inability to reboot requiring a hard power off. After 3 wks of fail I stumbled across unplugging my system from it's backup power supply and directly into the wall. Well, that worked and it rebooted allowing for the update to complete.

I was told via Nvidia I had the latest release. However, out of desperation I reinstalled Geforce experience I DID NOT have the latest driver.

I could go on and on but bottom line is right when I think the CTDs are solved I get out of the blue usually when loading the Persian map.

Don't post mad..... It is another class map and the devs are quick to reply, get on fixes and updates. Again sorry for being a azzole......

Edited by JIMJAM

As you get towards the ranges the country is certainly not flat and sometimes sparsely tree'd so makes for great low level Gazelle fun.

I haven't changed my settings and I'm finding the PG map to be more resource hungry than even the Normandy map, again I expect this will get optimisations in time just like NTTR and the other maps. The comparison is based on the number of drop frames* (stutters) I get and how close to 100% GPU utilisation indicated by Task Manager scientific I know. :P

That said it's a great map and flies well in VR with the Gazelle and I feel the guys have done great job.

* Yes I know but I'm liking the eye candy to much to back MSAA off to 2 and find PD @1.1 and MSAA @ 4 to be very detailed and crisp with sod all jaggies in the Rift.

Oh BTW DB I thought you were waiting for the FA-18 before flying the PG map,.. :megalol:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Wait a minute doh! Been looking at new shiny thing, seems all the maps have had a significant performance hit. :eek:

Normandy is now unplayable, it was very fluid before update, and Caucasus and PG are okay but with irregular drop frames (stutters).

That means I might have to give up MSAA @ *4 until the code is optimised. Nooooooo..........oooooo! :cry:

<edit>

Okay it doesn't seem to be related to water or basic ground/rock textures, structures, buildings I was doing more research hmm,.. and it's seems to be grass clusters, I'd noted they seem to be late to populate as you approach new regions.Turning down grass/clutter helps and if I avoid grassed areas frame rate and VR quality is pretty good. :D :thumbup:

Edited by FragBum
<edit>

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

tested a few scenarios now

PD 1.5 + MSAA x 0

PD 1.0 + MSAA x 4

PD 1.2 + MSAA x 4

PD 1.3 + MSAA x 2

PD 1.2 + MSAA x 2

for me the smoothest and best looking compromise is the last one (PD 1.2 + MSAA x 2)

so a drop from 1.4PD to 1.2PD to get smooth gameplay over the large cities

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

tested a few scenarios now

PD 1.5 + MSAA x 0

PD 1.0 + MSAA x 4

PD 1.2 + MSAA x 4

PD 1.3 + MSAA x 2

PD 1.2 + MSAA x 2

for me the smoothest and best looking compromise is the last one (PD 1.2 + MSAA x 2)

so a drop from 1.4PD to 1.2PD to get smooth gameplay over the large cities

I found PD @1.1 and MSAA @4 gave me best VR quality.

I have been trying to tweak my settings as well, I am getting a nice smooth framerate but irregular "stutters" that are annoying as all get out. I will try lowering the preload radius and turning down the grass/clutter setting and see what that does for me, or to me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

I found PD @1.1 and MSAA @4 gave me best VR quality.

:thumbup:

I will take MSAA over PD any day. I also am running MSAA x4.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|