No crashes anymore after modifying page file size settings

wernst

After modifying my page file settings I had (so far!!) no crashes anymore with 2.5.2 and PG and any module.

Is it real? How?

As inspired by “David_OC” here and his link to “ask LEO” (thanks David) I modified my page file (Win 7) settings

by increasing the page file size considerably, namely

from

“custom size = 20MB” (which was obviously by far too little)

to

“system managed size”.

Result was a 12279 MB page files size on my only one SSD drive, which is just a bit over my 12 GB installed RAM.

I want to emphasize that my page file size modification and the effect on CTD’s might well be a spurious correlation.

So I’m still keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by wernst

luckily “system managed size” is the default when windows is installed, so

unless someone changes it, most people will be ok

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

luckily “system managed size” is the default when windows is installed, so

unless someone changes it, most people will be ok

Yes, you are right, that's what I learned most recently.

But - since long I was playing DCS in all versions, maps and modules with a somewhat stupid 20 MB page file size setting - without any problem.

After updating to 2.5.2 and installing the Gulf map I had multiple crahses.

After setting page file size to "system managed size" all crashes are gone.

What has happened?

Magic? Placebo? Spurious correlation?

I myself can't believe in the page file size thing, the problem behind it's probably more complex.

But what is it, what has "healed" my recent DCS installations?

Edited by wernst

Don't get to excited. Many MANY times you think it is "fixed" only to crash again. Since the new map I have been CTD so many times I gave up. Deleted the shaders and a MIRACLE!!! No crashes. Then today it's been CTD CTD CTD CTD. Created a new mission and another MIRACLE!!

3 flights later CTD CTD CTD CTD.....

Don't get to excited. Many MANY times you think it is "fixed" only to crash again. Since the new map I have been CTD so many times I gave up. Deleted the shaders and a MIRACLE!!! No crashes. Then today it's been CTD CTD CTD CTD. Created a new mission and another MIRACLE!!

3 flights later CTD CTD CTD CTD.....

No, of course not. My expectations are low, the level of my excitement is below moderate.

I know well from other Windows experiences that solving a problem is

a continuous process of happiness and frustration.

I hope that DCS solves the CTD with a solid solution.

Had another example today of Windows 10 things that make no sense. Tried for a solid week to update the latest W10 update. However each time it rebooted to complete the computer would never reboot. I had just a blank tv screen "no signal". Eventually gave up.

Then later I recalled a situation I had so I unplugged the computer from my APC battery back up and directly into the wall. Ran the update and IT REBOOTED...

Makes no sense. Have not read it any where. Flew a solid hr today with "knock on wood" no crashes. Now later I may put the gear up, turn a light off, fire a weapon and CTD but enjoy it while it last.