Please clarify something for me.

Turnip

I have 2 DCS versions on my desktop. One is a just updated DCS 2.5.0. The other is DCS BETA 2.5.0 ( now being updated to 2.5.2 ). Do I need BOTH of these on my computer? Why is there two of them?

Thanks.

no you only need one. The regular 2.5 is the stable version and contains less bugs but you'll recieve new stuff at a slower pace. (like the persian gulf map)

The beta on the other hand lets you test stuff a little earlier , but on the other hand it's not fully tested, and it will contain bugs.

So it's really up to you what feel is more important

OK, So to TEST the Persian Gulf map, I download the update and install the map. When the release version of 2.5 is final, I can delete the BETA? Or will it automatically delete upon RELEASE VERSION install.

OK, So to TEST the Persian Gulf map, I download the update and install the map. When the release version of 2.5 is final, I can delete the BETA? Or will it automatically delete upon RELEASE VERSION install.

You can delete the Beta - it just depends on whether or not you still want to be trying out the latest the updates and changes before they're ready for the Release branch. You'll always see all of the newest, coolest stuff in the Beta branch first, but it's always going to be more "risky" in terms of potential bugs versus the Release version.

It's really your call.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

I myself like getting access to the new stuff ( Like Persian Gulf and upcoming F/A-18C) as soon as possible rather than waiting for it to make it to stable version.

Yeah it can be buggy but overall I find the experience quite good, enough for me to put up with it for sure.

So I now only run the beta version for this reason. Plus I really don't have enough room now on my gaming SSD for both versions any more.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Turnip, If you intend to engage in multiplayer (MP) at all, be aware that some multiplayer servers are using 2.0 release, and some are using 2.5 open beta. You have to be using the same version to connect to an MP server. The 2.5 release servers are using the release because they don't want changes to the open beta breaking the server. If an update to the open beta breaks your sim, you can just use the release version until they fix the open beta. That's the main reason I use both branches. If you have the space, use both or just one. Your choice.

Edited by Balzarog

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1