Micro stutters every second

So i'm getting back in cockpit after being grounded for 4 months, updated to 2.5 on stable and 2.5.2 on beta (from 2.5).

I'm experiencing half a second micro stutters every second or so (it is extremely regular) both in 2.5 stable and 2.5.2 OpenBeta.

I have updated my drivers, I have tried several modules/weathers/graphic settings, deleted shader caches and options folder, resetting nvidia control panel settings.

The game runs at 60 fps on my optimal settings just like it did before but with those terribly annoying stutters (which definitely makes the game unplayable, it is way too hard on eyes and brain).

GPU runs between 80 and 95%, stutters happens absolutely everywhere (external or cockpit view), other games run perfectly fine.

Anyone has an idea on wtf is going on ? the fact the stutters are "ticking" like a clock makes me think it is not hardware related. Although it means there is something common between 2.5 and 2.5.2 beta that provokes this.

Regarding graphic settings, I have tried messing with preload radius, MSAA Off (with SSAA 1.5, losing a few fps btw), MSAA 2x and 4x with SSAA off, all textures and shadow options, Vsync on and off, full screen and windowed, with and without my girl in the room. :yes:

I can't think of anymore options.

I'm all ears boys. :helpsmilie:

PC specs :

i7 4790

GTX 970 on 1080p screen 144Hz, I have a second screen, displaying task manager when flying.

16Go Ram

Win10 up to date on SSD & DCS on HDD (yeah I know, but SSD is full, was working fine before update anyway)

EDIT : Interesting thing, with game paused (GPU usage at 0%ish) I still have the same slutters when moving my head around with TrackIR

Edited by kaymelkan

Badoo 4 | iPod

My issue resolved itself, I have no idea why or how.

I rebooted my rig, went straight back into pit and everything was running smoothly. I noticed that my GPU usage is at a constant 100% now which was not the case beforehand.

Only theory I have is that some process was restricting my GPU for some reason, although nothing of the sort was noticeable on task manager ...

Regarding SSD vs. HDD, can u explain to me how it could have any effect on performance in game ?

From what I understand, it sure is relevant regarding loading time but the moment everything is load up in RAM and VRAM, disk usage drops to 0, no ?

I can see how it might have an effect in multiplayer as some units have to be loaded on the fly.

Regarding shadowplay, I have disabled it a long time ago. I tried earlier today to put it back on but it has no effect whatsoever.

Anyway thanks for your replies !

Badoo 4 | iPod

My issue resolved itself, I have no idea why or how.

I rebooted my rig, went straight back into pit and everything was running smoothly. I noticed that my GPU usage is at a constant 100% now which was not the case beforehand.

Only theory I have is that some process was restricting my GPU for some reason, although nothing of the sort was noticeable on task manager ...

Regarding SSD vs. HDD, can u explain to me how it could have any effect on performance in game ?

From what I understand, it sure is relevant regarding loading time but the moment everything is load up in RAM and VRAM, disk usage drops to 0, no ?

I can see how it might have an effect in multiplayer as some units have to be loaded on the fly.

Regarding shadowplay, I have disabled it a long time ago. I tried earlier today to put it back on but it has no effect whatsoever.

Anyway thanks for your replies !

Since we do not have 1TB of RAM for uncompressed Data we are forced to read new data every other occasion and flush the same amount to make space, it's a constant give & take, and that's where the SSD just comes in handy.

Hands down, you will never go back to HDD once you enjoy a SSD.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 3 months later...

So I'm raising my original post from the dead, I keep having this issue from time to time. Only difference from before is I am running DCS on SSD now (a pretty hardcore one for that matter).

I noticed the stutters appear when I restart DCS "lots" of time in a row. This evening for exemple I set up a mission, DCS crashed twice (which I am used to by now), restart again because TrackIR was not tracking shit and then launch the mission.

When finally getting on cockpit I have this very precise stutter every second like a clock, GPU is maxed at 70% or so, won't go higher. No other ressource eating process on the background, no bottleneck of any kind according to task manager, ressource manager and god himself. If I kill DCS and start again, same shit.

So same as before : only workaround is rebooting my PC, start DCS, same mission, no stutters, GPU at 100% no changes in CPU behavior or RAM behavior prior to reboot.

Whenever I have this issue I just reboot, no big deal but hell wtf is happening ?? I have tried restarting GPU drivers, messing with Vsync and fullscreen. Nothing works until I reboot. In the end I don't think it is GPU related since DCS is the only game I am having the problem with. What changes for DCS and/or my system between reboots ?

Edited by kaymelkan

Badoo 4 | iPod

dude, be sure you properly setup you NVCP pannel.

first be sure GPU max performance mode is enabled in NVCP, be also sure windows power plana is set to "maximum performance" as well.

as for reboots fixing this issue, it may be related to win 10 WDM 2.4 issues which will be fixed with next FCU update 1809 coming this october.

Also pls post your full sepcs as well as what win version are you running, which built?'

Edited by Goa

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Hey man, thanks for ur answer !

I did not reboot yesterday, trying to find the cause. OB update came in today and it didn't do shit.

dude, be sure you properly setup you NVCP pannel.

first be sure GPU max performance mode is enabled in NVCP, be also sure windows power plana is set to "maximum performance" as well.

Been there, done that.

as for reboots fixing this issue, it may be related to win 10 WDM 2.4 issues which will be fixed with next FCU update 1809 coming this october.

Having the issue since May, multiple updates since then, no changes in behavior. I have no insights on the WDM issue you mention though.

Also pls post your full sepcs as well as what win version are you running, which built?'

WIN10 Version 1803 Build 17134.286

Sum up :

i7-4790 @3.60GHz

GTX 970

16Go RAM DDR3

OS on SSD 120Go

DCS on SSD Sata III SanDisk Ultra 3D 500 Go 560Mo/s

Full specs here

o7

Edited by kaymelkan

Badoo 4 | iPod

have you tried left-alt + enter after you enter in game?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

• 4 weeks later...

Slow Performance on Alienware 17 R4

Hi guys,

I'm trying to do a new post, but seems to be my account on this forum doesn't allow. I need some help with my system. I just got decent frames overclocking my CPU on LVL 03 overclock from alienware. I would like to know if it is normal for a alienware 17 r4, frames about 38, 30 FPS on cold start F/A 18 with graphics on low.

Alienware 17 R4

GTX 1070

i7 6820HK

32 GB ram DDR 4

3 SSD'S= 100 GB, 128 GB, 960 GB (the game is on this)

1080p resolution

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I forgot another important thing. With the overclock, got 4.0 GHZ on CPU constantly, usually 40 or 36% load, GPU 60.. 80% use and FPS nearby 60Fps with vsync. Some drops to 50.. 56 Fps. The problem is. The temperature at 80c and some top at 94c...

your temp are lets say..a "bit" dangerous???

Edited by Goa

Don't know anything about Alienware , but I do think you should lose the overclock with those temps . And , yeah ,

There is a performance issue . For reference , i'm getting better frames with higher graphics settings on a much less capable system . (See below) You running MSAA ? Shadow settings ? Mirrors ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

What is wrong with the programm DCS ?.

It has a terrible performance & it is not consumer friendly.

So mutch peoples have problems....

What is wrong with EDGE ?. Why take this Sim so mutch resources ? and for what ?.

I played in MP 2H (22Gb ram usage from 24Gb) with 10 peoples and the stutters let me crash in the ground. The game is constantly accessing the disk (HDD/SSD). That is for a game not normal.

I have a pagefile with 40GB. I have never saw that before in any game !.

ED says 32Gb for BIG mission ! but what is BIG ?.. 10 planes ? with no gnd units ?.

REALLY ?.

I am so sad. Qualitatively has deteriorated severely.

The Multiplayer is realy not playable for me since the last update 2.5.3.22877.

1.5 was great & 2.5 is Sh**:mad:

The planes are great ! and makes a lot of fun :joystick: but the game engine design destroys everything.

My wish

Operation Health for DCS.

I totally agree with you, I also have micro-stutterig every second or so.....

I forgot another important thing. With the overclock, got 4.0 GHZ on CPU constantly, usually 40 or 36% load, GPU 60.. 80% use and FPS nearby 60Fps with vsync. Some drops to 50.. 56 Fps. The problem is. The temperature at 80c and some top at 94c...

Well, the Alienware would certainly benefit from a thermal paste change, but you could first try overclocking in a different way.

Install Intel XTU and set up a profile where you set all multipliers to e.g. 40x (for 4.0 GHz) and then add some undervolting to the profile.

E.g. start with -50 mV and see if it works and if it can be increased further. There's a stress test included in the Intel application that you can test the undervolted values with. This should help you bring the CPU temperatures under 90.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Is this for all modules you guys use?

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Thread is going a bit out of subject here.

@GOA Sorry I did not answer your last post because the issue would not happen again since my last reboot.

Regarding all the people here complaining about general performance, 2.5 have never run so good since 2.5.0

Just put your preload radius on 5000 or lower and put the game + pagefile on SSD. That's it. I have 16Go Ram and multiplayer loads and runs perfectly well, as do solo missions.

If you have less than 6Go VRAM on GPU, reduce terrain texture to low. Ease on Shadows and antialiasing if needed.

If you push your hardware, DCS will not forgive and CTD, that's the sad truth but it does not mean it is unplayable, very far from it.

Right now for me only Mission Editor still crashes a lot because terribly heavy on RAM (takes more than missions).

Edited by kaymelkan

Badoo 4 | iPod

I had LOTS of stutters (aka microfreezes). And I mean LOTS. And they've been LONG. Like 2-3 seconds each time. Until I cranked down the textures to medium, which totally killed the overall graphics, especially in cockpits that are not of the Hornet. But that helped most. Also, I reduced the terrain textures, well, there's just high and low, so...

That was on my old GTX 970. VRAM usage was around 3.5GB, so the card was still full on mushy textures. The really strange thing about all this is that even on high settings, this engine throws out absolutely decent FPS (like 80-100), but with lots of stutters on such hardware.

Then... I bought a graphics card, which is a 1080 that is OC'ed by factory. This thing has 2,286 times more VRAM than the old thing rdlaugh.png

This helps big time. Cranked up the textures to high again and even increased the vis range from medium to high. Runs better than before with the lowered settings and the old card. First thought the stutters were completely gone, but after today's update I had some again (metashaders and fxo cleared), but nothings compared to before.

Win 7 64 Pro · Gigabyte GA Z77-D3H (BIOS v.23b) · Intel i5 3570k · Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB CL8 DDR3-1600 · Corsair Force GT 120GB + Crucial MX100 512GB on ASUS U3S6 PCIe x4

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G (390.65) · SB X-Fi Elite Pro (6.0.1.1375) · VIA HD onboard audio (6.0.1.8700) · Eizo EV2436WFS-BK · Teufel Concept E Magnum

MS FFB2 · MFG Crosswind · MS P2 + PP (sliders) · Dual Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant · HOTAS Warthog Throttle · TrackIR 4 (5.1.3)

Nevertheless I think ED can optimize the engine furthermore. It's far from being perfect, but a lot better than the old one used in 1.x.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I don't believe that those stutters are caused by poor system. Still I won't upgrade my system because I know it won't be a solution.

Waiting and waiting. I believe ED will do a fix on coding.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I had micro stutters and tried everything nothing cured it then on my stream one of the Grimreapers "Gumbo" suggested I looked at my over clocking, I lowered my clock by 100MHz from 4.7GHz to 4.6GHz and all the micro stutter disapeared.

I'm not saying that this is a cure all but if you have micro stutters and you over clock its worth looking at :pilotfly:

I had micro stutters and tried everything nothing cured it then on my stream one of the Grimreapers "Gumbo" suggested I looked at my over clocking, I lowered my clock by 100MHz from 4.7GHz to 4.6GHz and all the micro stutter disapeared.

I'm not saying that this is a cure all but if you have micro stutters and you over clock its worth looking at :pilotfly:

yes it could be, I am running my 8700k @5.0ghz, but maybe I'll downloack back to 4.8ghz which seems smoother despite temps are not exceeding 55°C

:(

I don't believe that those stutters are caused by poor system. Still I won't upgrade my system because I know it won't be a solution.

Waiting and waiting. I believe ED will do a fix on coding.

Your absolutely right, it is nothing to do with poor systems. I have a new £3500 system with an i9 and a GTX1080Ti and for months now I have tried Beta, non-Beta and on both there are times when it is smooth as silk and then there is an update and we are back to square one. I have kept in touch with the various debates on the forums and at one point it seemed to have something to do with Wi Fi, but any success gained there was not permanent. I've tried various other things that I wont bore you with. A couple of times I have uninstalled the lot and reinstalled and everything is smooth as silk again, but he situation is only temporary, usually another update and aaaaaagh!. God help us.

Neil

I had no issues with stuttering really until I installed the update last night and I noticed them straight away .....

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2