To Destroy a Bridge

Captain Orso

How does one go about destroying a bridge through a triggered action?

I'm trying to trigger the destruction of a bridge, by putting a small trigger zone on the bridge, which is then used in an action EXPLOSION with volume 2000 on the trigger zone.

I'm getting the explosion, but the bridge does not appear to be damaged.

Is is possible to destroy a bridge using an explosion?

Do I need a larger volume?

If I use too large of a volume (5000), it will blow my P-51D out of the sky when flying within 50 yards of the explosion when it goes off :doh: , and I'm not even sure if that even destroyed the bridge.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Add a SCENERY DESTRUCTION ZONE action in addition to the EXPLOSION. A SCENERY REMOVE OBJECTS ZONE can remove trees and/or objects too. A combination of those should do the trick.

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

Hi JLX,

thanks for the answer.

I was aware of that, but I wanted to have a destroyed bridge, well actually two destroyed bridges possibly, and not missing bridges :cry:

I've never created a mission that I might post for others to use, and I kind of want it to be really nice and not klunky. So many things just don't work realistically, or like I'd want them to work, beyond not being able to destroy a bridge (BTW at an explosion volume of 2000 I got one of the two bridges to collapse, but not the other, maybe bc the collapsed bridge is longer and has a center section, which is easier to destroy, while the other doesn't).

I guess I'll have to try to use a larger explosion volume, and warn the player that if he flies over the bridge too close while hitting it with HVAR's, that he'll be blown up :(

Any idea how to get a group of trucks etc. in convoy to disperse per trigger, and not just when they are attacked?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Hi JLX,

thanks for the answer.

I was aware of that, but I wanted to have a destroyed bridge, well actually two destroyed bridges possibly, and not missing bridges :cry:

I've never created a mission that I might post for others to use, and I kind of want it to be really nice and not klunky. So many things just don't work realistically, or like I'd want them to work, beyond not being able to destroy a bridge (BTW at an explosion volume of 2000 I got one of the two bridges to collapse, but not the other, maybe bc the collapsed bridge is longer and has a center section, which is easier to destroy, while the other doesn't).

I guess I'll have to try to use a larger explosion volume, and warn the player that if he flies over the bridge too close while hitting it with HVAR's, that he'll be blown up :(

Any idea how to get a group of trucks etc. in convoy to disperse per trigger, and not just when they are attacked?

My suggestion is to use multiple explosion commands with smaller radii. I do this all the time for large ships that I want to destroy with an SC500 or slavo of HVARs.

Hi Kyridious,

thanks for your answer.

Thru more thorough testing I discovered that a volume of 1500 would bring both bridges down, on which I was testing, BUT not immediately.

After the detonation(s) the bridge had a fire sprite on it, which did not appear to be anything other than graphics bc I could stand in it with an M113 indefinitely without taking any damage, but other than the sprite, there appeared to be no damage.

However after about 15-30 seconds, a section of the bridge would collapse, as if it took time for the "fire" to exacerbate damage and eventually cause the bridges structural integrity to fail, which just seem dumb to me for a bridge constructed of steel and concrete, as there is nothing to be burning after the explosion(s).

--

When you say, multiple explosions, are you executing them all in the same trigger? I couldn't figure out how to put delays between multiple explosions without using flags and separate triggers, which is just a PITA to write and ugly AF.

I was playing round with this idea, but using only one trigger, will all the explosion commands within its Action section.

EG:

1 explosion command with volume 1600

2 explosion commands, each with volume 800

4 explosion commands, each with volume 400

I could not recognize any difference between those methods. It seemed to be the difference between having all your TNT in one box, or divided up between 4 boxes, which sat next to each other, but then again, I didn't test for effects on nearby vulnerable units, because... I got lazy :doh:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler