F/A-18 Case I Carrier Recovery Tutorial

Excellent tutorial, Jabbers. Thank you :thumbup:

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Superb, i like that you include stuff like the ball call. :thumbup:

Matt probably is proud of you preventing many ashamed hornet pilots. :megalol:

Anyone doing a straight in during VFR conditions should hang their head in shame ????

Btw. Jabbers you have VR. Is it even possible to see the meatball, and see how its aligned with the datum lights?

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Btw. Jabbers you have VR. Is it even possible to see the meatball, and see how its aligned with the datum lights?

Yes I actually did this in vr, just recorded the replay for quality

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Yes I actually did this in vr, just recorded the replay for quality

Good news, thx.

Finally a daytime carrier landing video I can endorse!

Well my plan was to post a video of daytime carrier landings covering the basics based on my 1200 hours/hundreds of traps in the Hornet but someone beat me to it.

I only saw two minor discrepancies with the video everything else was spot on.

I highly recommend anyone who wants to learn how to simulate real-life carrier landings start with this video. Notice in his landing approach how the ball does not deviate from the datums all the way down and how he keeps his eyes on the ball all the way down to touchdown, that's how it's done in real life! :book:

I plan to post a video to compliment this one, covering more advanced topics shortly after module release later next week.

Some of the topics I will cover in my video:

visualizing the burble, establishing proper interval between a/c in the pattern (multiplayer), a breakdown on how the LSO grades your pass, "spotting the deck", real world landing experiences, Difference when landing at a Navy airfield.

I might post follow-on videos to address mid-air refueling once ED updates their basket physics (I am hearing rumors about this). Night-time landings and why they are more stressful. :cry:

Superb, that to me is what it's all about. Thank you for sharing this.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

I only saw two minor discrepancies with the video everything else was spot on.

Will you cover them in your video or may you elaborate them here?

We are really lucky to have you here. I am looking forward to a good technique to brake the deck.

Yes I was. I am retired now with over 1200 hrs in the Hornet with several hundred traps (day/night).

Over 2000 hrs in Navy aircraft.

two questions:

1. will you let me shoot you down once so i can tell people that i won a dogfight against an IRL hornet pilot?

2. what lot# was your aircraft?

two questions:

1. will you let me shoot you down once so i can tell people that i won a dogfight against an IRL hornet pilot?

2. what lot# was your aircraft?

Heh, I would be an easy kill since I rarely do the combat side of sims, I prefer to just fly around enjoying the flight model and sight seeing.

I flew lot 10s through 20s so this module is based on the plane I flew.

And for those that are wondering, no based on my numbers, I did not have a full career as a Hornet pilot (medical issues) but I did have a full career as a naval officer.

Looking forward to it. What's your YT channel?

I will make sure to announce my video posting on these forums in which case you can subscribe but be warned I have no desire to be a streamer so what that means is I will be posting only a handful of videos in the future.

Some things to make clear I will never discuss: BVR tactics, radar performance, RWR topics or weapon engagement tactics. Those topics are personally too sensitive for me to discuss in public.

Instead I will focus on talking about take off/landings, mid-air refueling, formation flying and general performance characteristics and possibly classic gun's only techniques (that apply to any jet) in my future videos and that's about it.