Massive RAM usage on Persian Gulf map

Dun_Aenghus

I have 16GB of RAM and after a few minutes in the air, things slowed down considerably. After checking the task manager, 15.6GB of that was being used. Everything is working well on the Caucasus and Nevada maps so wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem. Was hoping ED's new memory manager would make sure RAM consumption stayed lower. I'm sure all of those cities consume a lot of memory but that much is a bit worrying...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Memory usage can be misleading, as some memory may appear to be used, but is instead reserved, and it will be given up if needed by another process. Also, unused RAM is wasted RAM.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

I get the same...

NTTR and Caucasus runs smooth, but Persian Gulf is stuttering and freezing with much higher memory consumption.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Dun are you on max. viewdistance? What preload radius? What CPU, GPU ? how much CPU load?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Running with a Xeon E3 @ 3.40 GHz and a GTX750 TI 2GB. Tried again and RAM hit 14.8GB while CPU load was only 17%. Screenshot of my settings attached - preload radius is 12,800. I had the same issues with the new Caucasus map but that improved after two updates. Might just have to wait and hope for the best.

Screen.thumb.png.ad1ec678cc00c3c695e0f20e6f1f1438.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU load? Pls go into detail, how many cores/threads, how many threads on how many % ? Those are the important details :P

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Ok definitely doesn't look like a CPU issue. Have you checked your virtual RAM setting? (google your windows version + "virtual ram size setting" or so)

Thanks for the help Daniel. I'm not an expert on the virtual ram setting but checked and it seems 16320MB is allocated. Again, the performance is reminiscent of the Caucasus map when it first came out. That is now running really well on my system, strange that there is such a huge difference with the Persian Gulf.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes it's weird, I assume object count is super high on PG map.

the best app I found to automate process tweaking is process lasso. Once set you ill never have to make changes again.

Here's a great thread with pdf to help:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=203614

Before I was unable to even play any MP since 2.1 (after a patch mid 2017), but now I have no issues loading other than in-game crashes, lag spikes, stutters which are standard fare with 2.5.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=203614

Thanks for the help Daniel. I'm not an expert on the virtual ram setting but checked and it seems 16320MB is allocated. Again, the performance is reminiscent of the Caucasus map when it first came out. That is now running really well on my system, strange that there is such a huge difference with the Persian Gulf.

Thats also my experience.

Seems that the PG map still needs alot of tweaking and optimazion.

Maybe the new "texture unloader" is not put into use on this map yet.

NTTR, Caucasus and even Normandy runs much smoother than the Persian Gulf, though both NTTR and Caucasus ere bigger and at least Caucasus alot mor diverse in terrain features and objects.

+ NTTR is 366.000 square kilometers, mostly desert plus Las vegas.

+ Caucasus is 250.000 square kilomters with alot of forrest, open land and smaller towns.

+ Normandy is 92.916 square kilometers with alot of trees and small villages

+ Persian Gulf is 200.000 square kilometers and mostly desert, though have some big towns.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

There is ground clutter, too, rocks and possibly shrubs and so forth that may add to overhead though of course we see that with Caucasus which handles it well.

Pure speculation; I think if there's any optimization to be done, it'd be done after the missing airports, airbases and so on have been added. At least that's the general workflow with building models and such.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

On my dedicated sim machine 17 6700 OC 4.8, SSD-16 G w/ 1080TI i am showing any where from 75 to 120+ frames any where, smooth with no hiccups and then WHAM. I get slammed to desktop. Have not checked my resources. I do run other very detailed sims/games and any weakness would have surfaced as I run 4k VR. In DCS I am only running 1080 and trackir. If I make any change, say VM, graphics, reboot, delete shaders, the sim will again load and run really great right up until WHAM. I see no common denominator or specific place, activity that it happens. Might be while the mission is loading. Might be within 5 minutes or the one I just had was after a 30 minute freeflight in the Harrier. Reading the crash post tells me they are all over the place.

Edited by JIMJAM

NTTR, Caucasus and even Normandy runs much smoother than the Persian Gulf, though both NTTR and Caucasus ere bigger and at least Caucasus alot mor diverse in terrain features and objects.

It would be nice if we could get some official word from ED on whether more optimization is expected for the new map.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would be nice if we could get some official word from ED on whether more optimization is expected for the new map.

Yes, agreed. Other maps run smoothly for me. PG stutters hard with lower settings. More optimization in the pipeline?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's a desert with little trees, object count is much much lower than Caucasus

Maybe total count is lower than Caucasus, but unique items are probably significantly higher. Whereas you can copy/paste objects that have already been rendered in Caucasus map, you have to render each unique item in PG map.

And I only have 16gig of RAM as well. I can play PG single player fine, but if I go to Multiplayer and am anywhere near a city...I might as well play another game, since I crash back to desktop every time (after hitting 0 FPS for like 5min).

My RAM usage in MP is not so much different from the usage in Caucasus,(between 15 and 23 GB) but surprisingly for me , the PG map stutters a bit... I believed its the other way round , with PG map beeing less performance consuming then Caucasus,..... any tips / tweaks for making PG bit more fluent ?

I use same settings for all maps , (with preload radius to med , grass / cutter med etc..)

anyhow PG is bit below caucasus in terms of fluent MP gameplay .. hmm

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

• 7 months later...

Having the same problem as OP. I don't know if the most recent expansions made it worse but the PG maxes out my ram almost instantly in MP and stutters or freezes completely when I look around. CPU usage is low and my performance looks similar to the screenshot of Task maneger that OP posted.

I have 16GB DDR3. Should I expect to need 16GB DDR4 or even 32GB of DDR4 to run it well?

anyone running PG with 16GB DDR3 RAM?