Air 2 Air Refuelling Panel Explanation Please

Weegie

Can anybody help with some explanations

I understand ASC stab and the probe extension switch but that's about all I know

I'm specifically interested in the Annuciator Panel as I'd like to know what the lights are meant to be telling me

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

most of the stuff is written in the manual - page 138 onwards.

the panel (6 lights) below the AAR switches are:

1. Probe extended

2. Refueling/taking fuel

3. Tanks full

4-6 Are neutral trim lights

The Refueling Pod lights displays the distance of the refueling cone to the pod. - There is a pic in the manual. I attached it.

Copy paste from the manual:

1. Yellow – distance of the cone to the refueling pod from 3 to 13 meters

2. Yellow and green – distance of the cone to the refueling pod from 13 to 16 meters.

3. Green – distance of the cone to the refueling pad from 16 to 22 метров.

4. Green and red - distance of the cone to the refueling pod from 22 to 24 meters.

5. Red – distance of the cone to the refueling pod from 24 to 26 meters.

6. During hose deployment and extension to its effective length, and during contact authorization, the signaling system will display a flashing green light alongside a solid red.

1. All lights flashing - refueling cessation and disconnection.

2. Yellow light flashing – rate of closure greater than 0.4 m/s.

3. Red light flashing – rate of separation greater than 0.4 m/s.

The relative speed of closure when attempting contact must be within 0.5 to 1.8 m/s (0.8 to 1.5 m/s is recommended during contact itself.) This relative speed must be visually determined by the pilot. After contact is made, the closure/lag speed must be kept under 0.4 m/s – a lag speed of greater than 2.5 m/s will lead to a loss of contact between the two ends, and a closure speed of greater than 0.6 m/s may lead to a buckling failure of the refueling boom.

Refueling is impossible when the refueling pods displays a yellow light. When this happens, the pilot must increase the distance between their aircraft and the tanker. Upon entering the green zone the pilot must then maintain formation and continue the refueling process, keeping a negative altitude difference of 3 to 6 meters. When the pod begins to show a solid red light alongside a flashing green light, the pilot must break and reestablish contact in order to prevent damage to the refueling boom.

After successful completion of the refuelling process, the indicator showing “REFUEL” will go out. The pilot will then have to break contact with the tanker and move to a safe distance. Flying

boom.PNG.dfcee59d9708fd03b8d2e5f1d9c52ec9.PNG

• Like 1

[100☭] holimoli #13, 100-й КИАП

you're welcome!

if you have troubles with the AAR here are some tips which might make it easier for you

- Use ASC stab ( I recommend it unless u have a good joystick/curve setup)

- Use Autothrust. Makes your life easier ;)

- Set your HUD to the right refueling position. This will make it easier cachting the basket as you will have a HUD indicator (circle) where to point your nose.

- The HUD will also show you the speed needed to catch the basket. It is on the top left of your HUD (above your IAS number, the smaller one). It will change after you catch the basket and will show you the speed needed to keep in position.

- Try to keep the refueling pod lights on the top edge of your HUD.

- When using ASC stab, use trim. I almost exclusively use trim in AAR. Especially when the tanker turns I just trim the aircraft in the same direction. I barely touch my stick only in the beginning of a turn I use the stick to overcome the sharp and fast turn of the tanker.

- Make sure your tanker is not flying too slow. Should be around 550-600.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask:). You can also join our discord. I usually respond much faster there.

[100☭] holimoli #13, 100-й КИАП

Thanks Again

Yeah I think I got A2A pretty much down now, but it took a while and it's one of the hardest things I've being doing so far

The tips though are appreciated because there are a few things in there I haven't being doing so I'm going to give them a try