Can I "Play Sound" over a specific radio frequency?

moespeeds

I tried the "Radio Transmission" item to play a sound (radio messages) over a specific frequency, but it doesn't seem to work. I have easy comms off, and was using SRS in my multiplayer server when I tested. Does this actually work or am I doing something wrong?

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!

I set music to play through the radios on some of my missions. You set the comms channel when you create the plane. Then when you make the trigger, just make sure it broadcasts to the right channel. The problem I've run into in Multiplayer on my own missions with the sound set up that way, is that the music is qued when ANYONE flys through that trigger zone. So if one trigger is playing music to the channel and someone else flys through another trigger with sound it will play that sound on top of the one that hasn't finished playing yet if their trigger plays on the same radio channel. I have clown music set up on triggers on the ends of all my taxi ways so that everyone knows some clown can't be bothered to use the runway to take off, and unfortunately this plays on top of the awesome music sometimes. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, I have no idea what I'm doing in this editor half the time, but that seems to work to get it to actually play music the way you described.

Edited by falken76

I got it working, thanks! I tried all different combinations, but the only thing that worked properly was:

-Under "triggered actions" for a vehicle, make a "change frequency" and a "transmit message" action. Obviously make sure the frequencies match.

-Use a zone, or whatever trigger you'd like, and put the AI task "set frequency" first, then "transmit message" second. This also worked for a switch action, for instance popping green smoke and transmitting every time a unit approaches a farp for landing.

Setting the frequency every time is the only way I got it to work. Even using an advanced action to set the proper freq at mission start didn't work. This also worked with SRS running.

Thanks guys!

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!

In that vein, could one have an audio file - of an arbitrary length - play on a given frequency, like a broadcast, only you'd need to tune your radio into the correct freq' to hear it?

The idea being that one could have a faux radio station playing on whatever, but not disturb anyone unless they chose to tune into it? Single and MP.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Yes that's exactly what I did. If you want you can have it play on a loop as well.

Oh fantastic, thanks for the response on that. It'd be interesting to explore if there's a limit to the length/size/channels, I recall back in the day with ARMA2 we'd have to break up audio files to say play music, as it was limited to N seconds.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Walshtimothy said:

is it completely required to sanitise the .lua file for the mp3 function to work or is this only for the tts function ? thanks, Tim.

This thread isn't about playing mp3 or TTS through SRS. This is about playing sounds over radio frequencies entirely in game, which requires no sanitizing.

• Thanks 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Ah , ok thanks. I take it these make the mission file large then ? We were hoping to run .ogg files using srs radio functions to keep the mission file size low , forgive me if this is daft 😬👍😉 can the above be achieved in game by referencing a .ogg file stored on the server  seperately to the mission file ? Thanks . Tim.

sig sm.png

walshtimothyWW2 virtual flier - currently playing on 4ya ww2 - youtube channel here

https://www.ww2adinfinitum.blog -  https://projectoverlord.co.uk/

14 hours ago, Walshtimothy said:

Ah , ok thanks. I take it these make the mission file large then ? We were hoping to run .ogg files using srs radio functions to keep the mission file size low , forgive me if this is daft 😬👍😉 can the above be achieved in game by referencing a .ogg file stored on the server  seperately to the mission file ? Thanks . Tim.

Not that I'm aware of. When I've done missions in order to have the .ogg sounds playable to the users, they must be included in the mission file. The alternative which I have used as well is to use SRS instead - which depending on the purpose I think is better suited for multiplayer anyway. That way the ogg files can be contained external to the mission file. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this is the right place (a post 3 years old) but while trying to set a couple vehicles transmitting VHF AM for a "recover stolen cargo" mission for the Hind using the R-852 Radio Receiver + ARK-U2 Direction finder I notice that if you are a RED Hind;

if the vehicles are BLUE, you can get a signal on ARK-U2 (and the needle works) but no sound (even with the ARK-U2 switch on COMMS and the radio suite rotary knob on ARK).

if the vehicles are RED, you get the signal and the sound (with the ARK-U2 switch on COMMS and the radio suite rotary knob on ARK).

Didn't had time to check with other modules yet. Maybe is just a Mi-24 bug.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2022 at 1:52 AM, Dangerzone said:

Not that I'm aware of. When I've done missions in order to have the .ogg sounds playable to the users, they must be included in the mission file. The alternative which I have used as well is to use SRS instead - which depending on the purpose I think is better suited for multiplayer anyway. That way the ogg files can be contained external to the mission file. 

Do you have some more info on doing this through SRS? 

Cheers,

Wiggy

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

Do you have some more info on doing this through SRS? 

Cheers,

Wiggy

SRS Text To Speech info can be found here:

https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-SimpleTextToSpeech

On the same page you'll find info on how to play MP3 files as well, such as:

STTS.PlayMP3("C:\\Users\\Ciaran\\Downloads\\PR-Music.ogg","255,31","AM,FM","0.5","Multiple",0)

Hope this helps...

• 5 months later...

this was possible and we had this running on 4ya ww2 a bit back , sr radio was the plugin for srs , was awesome but led to increased cpu usage on server after a day or so. if you run shorter missions or restart the app periodically its mint.

sig sm.png

walshtimothyWW2 virtual flier - currently playing on 4ya ww2 - youtube channel here

https://www.ww2adinfinitum.blog -  https://projectoverlord.co.uk/