F/A -18C VR first impression

dburne

• ED Team
Very nice! Had some trim issues, but worked that out by centering the axis curve and then it would trim. Also had to set up 40 TM MFD buttons and they work like a champ! All in all, very pleased.

Setting trim for landing after the flaps come down takes getting used to. Will start around 4 degrees, but you will need to manually trim to 8.1.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty impressive in VR

just crushed into the carrier during landing ))

quite impressive!

i7-6700k (4.7 GHz) // RAM 32 Gb // GTX 1070 // // Windows 10 64-bit LTSB;

VKB Gunfighter Mk2 Pro + VKB MCG Pro // BRD-F1(v.2) // Oculus Rift cv1 // BRD-N(v. №4) // VKB King Cobra MkII Fat // VKB King Cobra MkIII Fat // Saitek X55 // Saitek throttle Quadrant // Microsoft FFB 2 // Saitek X45 // Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog // VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals // VKB RDRXXI-L // TrackIR 5

Woohoo!

I finally made it, a successful carrier landing after about 10 tries.

Hopefully I am getting the hang of it.

What a rush!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Docs, Lessons, intuitive FM, great cockpit, graphics and systems and no nasty surprises... Beyond expectations ED for an Early Access.... thank you and well done. An Early Access DONE RIGHT! Nice....:thumbup:

SIGBLOCK.png

Congrats, Don! You really seem to enjoy the experience with the Hornet in VR. Sadly I have to wait until next week to enjoy her with the Rift as I have to work in the next days.

I was just wondering how the readability of the cockpit/screens is? And also how good the VR-performance (fps) is compared to other moduls? Any drawbacks because of the sophisticated cockpit?

Readability of the instruments? About par for the course I guess in VR, I tried to take a look as really have not used them that much yet, from what I could tell they are fairly legible. A quick VR zoom certainly helps that when needed also. I don't see a big issue here.

Performance - about the same for me as the other maps really. Normandy is probably a little more demanding. While I wish it was better, it is certainly acceptable to me so far. I fly with ASW off and don't have any serious performance issues like stuttering.

I flew around the Persian Gulf Map some in the Spit prior to today, I see no performance hit from the F/A - 18.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I noticed just how intuitive the A/A weapons usage was. Radar locking, visual locking, etc isn't "simple" but is very intuitive. Thing is a breeze in a dogfight, no worries about weapons usage.

I also noticed you can do a radar altitude hold with the autopilot, and that's just neat and funny (especially over REALLY mountainous terrain, you can see it struggling).

Haven't tried carrier landings yet. Wish me luck.

I noticed just how intuitive the A/A weapons usage was. Radar locking, visual locking, etc isn't "simple" but is very intuitive. Thing is a breeze in a dogfight, no worries about weapons usage.

I also noticed you can do a radar altitude hold with the autopilot, and that's just neat and funny (especially over REALLY mountainous terrain, you can see it struggling).

Haven't tried carrier landings yet. Wish me luck.

Get to it man !! It is quite the rush.

Good luck!

:thumbup:

Don B

Running much better in VR than I anticipated. Very pleased

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Readability of the instruments? About par for the course I guess in VR, I tried to take a look as really have not used them that much yet, from what I could tell they are fairly legible. A quick VR zoom certainly helps that when needed also. I don't see a big issue here.

Performance - about the same for me as the other maps really. Normandy is probably a little more demanding. While I wish it was better, it is certainly acceptable to me so far. I fly with ASW off and don't have any serious performance issues like stuttering.

I flew around the Persian Gulf Map some in the Spit prior to today, I see no performance hit from the F/A - 18.

Thanks! Sounds good. Looking forward to trying it myself.;)

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Ok so now 4 successful carrier landings in a row, oh yeah!

Now time to study and really learn this gorgeous bird.

Don B

I am amazed how GREAT this looks in VR. ED never seizes to surprise me. The cockpit is stunning. I grabbed the 4th wire on my first try. I didn't do the pattern routine though. I just took off, flew around, and landed. Got to get used to the throttle. It takes a while to kick in. Overall, this was definitely worth the wait. Great job ED.:thumbup:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I am going to have to unlearn everything I thought I knew in 30 years of flight simming. My first 2 flights I went in the drink, poor power management. Yeah boys and girls, its that good!!

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Absolutely loving this in VR I remember being blown away by F18A interceptor on the Amega & never dreamed of this.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

How is it possible that some people can fly and I don't even see the purchase under "Modules" and if I go to the DCS Hornet site, it clearly shows "Already Purchased". Having said THAT, WHY CANT I DOWNLAOD??? I have DCS 2.5.2. What is the problem?

How is it possible that some people can fly and I don't even see the purchase under "Modules" and if I go to the DCS Hornet site, it clearly shows "Already Purchased". Having said THAT, WHY CANT I DOWNLAOD??? I have DCS 2.5.2. What is the problem?

Not sure , right after I updated DCS I launched it and it was right there in Module Manager prompting me to download.

Don B

Not sure , right after I updated DCS I launched it and it was right there in Module Manager prompting me to download.

This is exactly what I was expecting but unfortunately I still cant download. I don't have "open beta" just normal DCS 2.5.2. Could that be the issue?

A nice first impression. Thank you ED. I thinks this bird becomes the "baddest boy" of the fleet! :D Time to study!

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

This is exactly what I was expecting but unfortunately I still cant download. I don't have "open beta" just normal DCS 2.5.2. Could that be the issue?

Yep, that is the problem. It is currently on the Open Beta branch only.

Don B

Spot on boy. Go to Open beta and you're IN! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Yep, that is the problem. It is currently on the Open Beta branch only.

So if I understand you correctly, you have two different types of DCS you play on? Which one do you normally use and apart from Early Access, it is useful to download and install "open beta" on my computer too??

So if I understand you correctly, you have two different types of DCS you play on? Which one do you normally use and apart from Early Access, it is useful to download and install "open beta" on my computer too??

You can do that or change your install to the beta if you wish?

I have all the different ways to do this here explained here .

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I only have the Open Beta, for space concerns and I really like getting stuff like this a little earlier.

Sure may run across more bugs early on, but for most part it is usually pretty darn good.

Don B