Training missions

DCS 2.5.2.17978.385

Great to already have those missions! :) Nicely done, there are just enough explanations to justify the procedure without overloading the user with details.

Just a few remarks, some related to the DCS mission environment.

1. Introduction

1) The next active gate gets bigger, then progressively smaller as the user approaches, which is very confusing because all notion of distance is made impossible. Perhaps a simple change of colour would be much more helpful.

2. Cold Start

1) I've noticed that the training missions were not always registering when the user presses a switch (when he's asked to). It's very noticeable with DDI interaction, also with the trimmer reset for example. The user has to press again until it's registered (and usually one has to cycle back to the mode the mission creator intended to get at).

2) Also, the highlighted brackets that point to which control the user should pay attention to is often masking the labels, which makes it awkward. Example with the INS that we have to set to GND, the user has to guess the position because it's not visible anymore.

3) I noticed that a few switches have to be pulled up with the left mouse button instead of the right. For example the FCS BIT, if it was possible to correctly hold it up with the right button, perhaps the left could still be used to click on the DDI at the same time? Not sure though, perhaps the keyboard shortcut is unavoidable.

4) Perhaps I'd leave the subtitle text somewhat longer or even indefinitely until an action, when the user is expected to press SPACEBAR or wait for something which is not immediate. If he didn't catch what to do, he won't have any support to continue.

5) Why 20% RPM before throttle to IDLE? From the flight manual, it's 15%.

3. Taxi and take-off

1) The user is told not to exceed 75% RPM, but at least 90% is necessary for the aircraft to start moving, and to sustain the roll.

2) No ATC clearance request before taxiing / entering the runway? Approach free before crossing the holding point to the manoeuvring area ;)

3) A phrase is cut at the beginning: "In a Hornet, you always take off [in afterburner. ...]" cut by "As you roll down the runway, ...".

4) I'm not entirely sure it's not my fault, but I noticed before taking off that the flaps were on FULL, not HALF, are they preset that way? I can't check it again right now.

5) I'd give the indications of what to expect next, before the take-off roll, because after that things go pretty fast; the 190 kt limit for the tyres, and 250 kt for the landing gear and flaps seem to be important information.

Edited by Redglyph
Added: 20% RPM vs 15%

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Next missions :)

4. Overview and TACAN-ADF Navigation

(probably "Overview *of* TACAN-ADF Navigation")

1) The user can practice navigation, but the goal is not clear, is that free flight? When does it stop?

Since setting a course has been taught, perhaps an exercise and a check that the user has the correct approach vector could be implemented instead?

5. Waypoint Navigation

1) Setting the Tacan on the UFC. The user is told to press ON, then 67 ENT. But when I press ON, all information that was displayed before (T/R, RCV, ...) is switched off. Sometimes one has to press two times on the ON button, but the logic of the correct sequence is not entirely clear (as the communications with ATC which seem impossible on manual frequency).

Also, the highlight marks make it harder to read the keyboard, they should be removed or made more discreete as discussed before.

2) The user can practice navigation, but the goal is not clear, is that free flight? When does it stop?

6. VFR Airfield Straight-in Landing

1) The user is told to use the barometric altimeter, why not contact tower and ask for QNH, so we know the altitude? It should be a mandatory step.

2) "Press spacebar" at the end of the explanation, then immediately after, no text but "press spacebar to unpause...", could be merged.

3) One word of a text is said, then the voice skips the rest and directly goes on to the next part ("At this point, you should be on-speed with an angle of attack[...]" is cut after the first word by "Being below 250 knots, go ahead[...]").

4) "Do not flare the aircraft, but rather continue on the glidepath and touch down at no more than 800 feet per minute.", and "Maintain on-speed AoA and fly the aircraft into the runway with a vertical velocity of no more than 750 feet per minute, as displayed over the HUD altitude indication. Do not flare.". Is it 750 or 800?

7. VFR Airfield Overhead Pattern Landing

1) In this mission, radar altitude is used, and not in the previous one. Is there a reason? Shouldn't that be said?

2) The velocity vector can be caged. Honestly, I don't see any difference, what should I be looking for when there is no crosswind?

3) The user is told to set course of 70°, but Kobuleti is 64°.

4) I get the indication to drop to 600 feet and so on, on downwind, but nothing after that, even after landing and stopping (trigger issue?).

Note that there is no option to save the track, so I can't provide you with one.

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 6 months later...

This is true even with today's update the, the VFR Airfield overhead approach pattern landing stops triggering on the down wind leg.

On the Instrument approach landing, it will also stop triggering on some occasions just after the waypoint 3 coaching, on other occasions it wont let you select comms menu in game (yes it works else where)

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg