Contemplating on getting a VR set but....

gizmo

Again, sorry mate, that video is not a truly representative of what you see, in fact it give a completely false sense of what is achievable. You cannot take a video outside one of the lens and attempt to portray that is what you see in game.

What you actually see and the definition or clarity is dependent on your camera view and your DCS settings which are dependent on your equipment.

OC980ti and an OC i76700 in a correctly set up in cockpit view gives to me perfectively readable gauges and HUD. Sure the small text on small gauges requires a lean in to read but normal position allows reading of all graduations in most aircraft.

SIGBLOCK.png

Again, sorry mate, that video is not a truly representative of what you see, in fact it give a completely false sense of what is achievable. You cannot take a video outside one of the lens and attempt to portray that is what you see in game.

What you actually see and the definition or clarity is dependent on your camera view and your DCS settings which are dependent on your equipment.

OC980ti and an OC i76700 in a correctly set up in cockpit view gives to me perfectively readable gauges and HUD. Sure the small text on small gauges requires a lean in to read but normal position allows reading of all graduations in most aircraft.

I couldn't agree more, I can't believe this is was shown as a resolution example!!!!!

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

I'd also wait 6 months to see what is around the corner.

(especially if you only intend to use it in DCS. But if you make use of other games which are designed to overcome the low resolution, then you will get value for your money)

VR is very fun, but despite all of the enthusiasm here, every other thread is filled with people wishing for a higher resolution display. You can't read the gauges properly (gotta lean in). And in most planes the HUD is hard to read. That is a fact, no matter how much fun anyone is having.

Have you actually got a proper VR setup? You must be trolling, in game graphics look absolutely nothing like the blurred crap you have uploaded! Please do not base your inexperienced opinion on VR off a video on You-Tube!!

Edited by Dav IRL

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

After briefly running at 1.5 PD and 8X MSAA on the Stable version, I've gone back to 2.0 PD and no MSAA. Some things outside have little, barely noticeable jaggies on them, but at 2.0 PD, everything in the cockpit is crisp and clear. I have to agree with the posters above me. The only part of that video that shows how much "better" the Odyssey is than the Vive (similar resolution to the Rift CV1) is a side-by-side comparison with the Odyssey zoomed in MUCH further than the Vive. Of course that's going to give the illusion that one is vastly superior to the other! Aside from that, the rest of the video is pure blurriness from both headsets. My CV1 works just fine. I'll wait for a significant increase in resolution before I plunk down more cash.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

...averaged over 12 months of playing time it’s only like 60 cents a day. less than a cup of coffee.

well worth it.

Indeed! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

You can't read the gauges properly (gotta lean in). And in most planes the HUD is hard to read. That is a fact, no matter how much fun anyone is having.

The only fact here is that this statement is a complete fabrication. Saying it is fact just makes me suspect you are simply trolling.

I knew it anyway - but after you made this ridiculous claim I went into DCS World and sat in three different aircraft. I could read every single gauge without any difficulty whatsoever - and that applied to all the text and titles as well. F-86F, L-39 and P-51D.

I have poor eyesight, as well - but I have an excellent set of prescription VR lenses and I can see very clearly. If you even own a VR headset I suggest you invest in some as you obviously have eyesight issues.

I don't know what your agenda is, but please don't make such misleading statements.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

The only fact here is that this statement is a complete fabrication. Saying it is fact just makes me suspect you are simply trolling.

I knew it anyway - but after you made this ridiculous claim I went into DCS World and sat in three different aircraft. I could read every single gauge without any difficulty whatsoever - and that applied to all the text and titles as well. F-86F, L-39 and P-51D.

I have poor eyesight, as well - but I have an excellent set of prescription VR lenses and I can see very clearly. If you even own a VR headset I suggest you invest in some as you obviously have eyesight issues.

I don't know what your agenda is, but please don't make such misleading statements.

+1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can't read the gauges properly (gotta lean in). And in most planes the HUD is hard to read.

Sorry to bring this back around, but I'm looking at VR too and this is a big concern for me. My budget for VR is pretty much fixed at $500 +tax/shipping so waiting for 2nd gen for me means, really, waiting for third gen to get the 2nd gen knocked down in price. So I can pull the trigger now, but this gauges issue bothers me. With VR, is there any way to sort of make leaning in easier or multiply that movement, like in a Track IR profile? Really, as long as I CAN read the gauges somehow as opposed to it being truly impossible, I could adjust, but no way could I go entirely without a HUD or the DDI in the F-18 or TGP in the A-10. That would be a game-killer.

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

The Odyssey is significantly clearer than the Rift or Vive. Does it have its own set of issues, yes. But the Samsung has 2,304,000 pixels per eye. And the others have 1,296,000 pixels per eye.

People talk about the pentile amoled screens not significantly reducing the screendoor effect compared to the others. This is true, but even with a similar screendoor as the others we are still talking a pixel increase of nearly 80% with a comparable FOV.

I own an Odyssey and have now used a Vive rather extensively in DCS as well as many other games. And I can say with absolute certainty, it is impossible to obtain the picture clarity of the Odyssey with the Rift and Vive.

And if you live near Sumter SC you are more than welcome to come try the Odyssey out.

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Sorry to bring this back around,

It comes down to your settings and that depends on your PC and GPU.

Running a OC 980ti and a OC i76700 I use a PD of 1.6, most setting max'ed, no MSAA and cockpit display set at 1024 (not every frame) and as a guide I have no difficulty reading the main instruments / MFDs / HUDs in ALL aircraft.

I fly mainly all rotary wings and the 8AVNA & LC39L MP using airframe navigation (as in game all F10 map options are turned off) in VR with no issues..... so I use all the instruments all of the time....

Apart from the normal set-up alignment and adjustment of the rift / face angle to ensure 'sweet spot' sharpness, these options may help...

1. Map a HOTAS momentary button to your VR zoom.

2. Using your camera view controls, set 'your seat' at the correct distance from the cockpit panel. Most A/C defaults the seat is too far back, away from the instruments... with VR bring 'your self' forward. Look at the top of the in game joystick and naturally rest your hand on the top... if you 'feel' the real joystick top you are positioned correctly.

3. With some airframes the MFD displays are enhanced and larger in HUD view 'ALT F1' - A10C and Ka50 for example. This makes it easier to identify targets. Map 'ALT + F1' to a momentary button, it acts as a view on/off toggle

4. Use 'a couple of 'snapviews'. In VR you can assign different zoom and positioning of the 'pilot' view to snapviews. It is NOT like 2D, the screen is NOT frozen or static, you still have full head movement it is just the camera or pilot head position that is changed. Map these to a latching toggle switch.... just change your positioning for task.... i.e. for the Mi8 I have a view that is leaning outside of the pilots window and another for the side gunner to lean out of the side door.... helps in very tight landing spaces etc.... For the Ka50 I use one to get closer to the abris for configuration and another which sets me little closer to the Garmin in the Mi8, again for configuring... in use normal view as in 2 above, the positioning is just fine...

SIGBLOCK.png

I've gotten things even further optimized on my system, so now I'm at 2.0 PD and 8X MSAA on the Stable and it runs smooth as glass in VR. I can easily read every gauge, as well as the HUD. I ended up doing all the old stuff that I didn't think applied anymore. I shut off indexing on the SSD that I have DCS on, went back to regularly running spyware checks, and I closed every unneeded item sitting in the tray. Not sure what the biggest contributor was to the performance increase, but prior to doing all of that I was lucky to run 2X MSAA with 2.0 PD without getting visible stutters. The combination of all of those things has breathed new life into this sim. Now I can concentrate on the fight, instead of the graphics glitches.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yeah pretty much my experience as well with my Rift.

HUD is very easy to see, instruments for the most part are as well. I certainly have no issue with it. If the text is very small and I need help a quick press of the button I have assigned to VR zoom is no problem, or just leaning in a little.

In fact to see much of anything on my monitor I have to wear reading glasses, not so with the Rift.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

In fact to see much of anything on my monitor I have to wear reading glasses, not so with the Rift.

That's a good point. I'm a glasses-wearer and they are really uncomfortable with my headphones pinning them to my head.

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

I do believe that there is a wide range of experience with VR HMDs. Some of it could be ill fitting HMDs, non-sweet spot use of HMD, lack of good VR optics if you need glass, and near sighted people now wearing glassed thinking the HMD lenses are "close"

Clearly, there are those who want to translate VR experience to what they know: TrackIR and 4K/multimonitor displays.

I honestly thought the setup below was DCS heaven. *UNTIL* I tried VR. But I respect the folks that want the clarity that 4K monitors can bring to the table. But there is one thing I will violently disagree with: That TrackIR is good as VR in situational awareness. HOGWASH.

eInahD3.jpg

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

OP, here are my two cents. I have the Oculus and the Vive. I prefer the Oculus for a variety of reasons. VR is a game changer for sims and the immersion cannot be beat, I think everybody agrees on that. With that said, I use it maybe 20% of the time and my 1440p monitor the remaining 80%. I cannot acceptably make out certain gauges and objects in VR, unless PD is set extremely high. My personal preference is clarity over immersion. Flight sims are all about sacrifices, from within the sim and how things are simulated to your actual physical setup. At the present, I am not willing to make the visual sacrifices in VR for immersion’s sake. Still, VR is an amazing experience. I hate going back to TrackIR after using my Oculus for a while. At the same time, it is a relief that I’m back to the 2D clarity. It’s also nice to be able to watch TV in the background, which I can’t do with a VR headset.

Ultimately, you should experience VR but whether or not you think the trade-offs are worth it (if you think there are any), are up to you. Anyways, those are my thoughts.

Also, you should have a powerful rig to enjoy VR if you go that route.

Edited by Fuzzysham

OP, here are my two cents. I have the Oculus and the Vive. I prefer the Oculus for a variety of reasons. VR is a game changer for sims and the immersion cannot be beat, I think everybody agrees on that. With that said, I use it maybe 20% of the time and my 1440p monitor the remaining 80%. I cannot acceptably make out certain gauges and objects in VR, unless PD is set extremely high. My personal preference is clarity over immersion. Flight sims are all about sacrifices, from within the sim and how things are simulated to your actual physical setup. At the present, I am not willing to make the visual sacrifices in VR for immersion’s sake. Still, VR is an amazing experience. I hate going back to TrackIR after using my Oculus for a while. At the same time, it is a relief that I’m back to the 2D clarity. It’s also nice to be able to watch TV in the background, which I can’t do with a VR headset.

Ultimately, you should experience VR but whether or not you think the trade-offs are worth it (if you think there are any), are up to you. Anyways, those are my thoughts.

Also, you should have a powerful rig to enjoy VR if you go that route.

Oh dear, some else who hasn’t setup VR zoom.

Using an Oculus rift since december, with an I7 3770k and gtx 980, i'm still switching Vr and flat screen... Vr is really immersive, no doubt, but with my computer specs I use VR with mostly low settings and time to time, I like to run with higher settings to enjoy the full beauty of DCS.

VR is not recommended when you learn a module and use paper documentation or video.

I9 9900k | RTX 2080 | RAM: 32Gb | DCS Installed on SSD, W10 on another SSD | 1440p Screen | Trackir 5 | HP Reverb G1 | Hotas Warthog + Microsoft force feedback 2 stick + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Homemade 5 axis and  lots of button box.

• 8 months later...
Hi All,

As the tittle says it, i am seriously considering on getting a VR but I’m really unsure if i should go down that route. Understand from the forums that the resolution isn’t that fantastic and some areas in the Sim is unreadable. Would like some info from all of you and what the pros and cons of a VR set. Would also like to know what brand of a VR set should i go for with a relatively good resolution.Any sugggestions and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

Regards

Don't do it yet! Wait it out another year until it all comes together between PiTool being optimized if you were go the Pimax route. Best one out there is the HTC Vive PRO with out a doubt, except for FOV. I'd say wait and save your $$$.

Don't do it yet! Wait it out another year until it all comes together between PiTool being optimized if you were go the Pimax route. Best one out there is the HTC Vive PRO with out a doubt, except for FOV. I'd say wait and save your $$$.

Yes, do it! With tech, you can always wait.. and wait.. and wait. When I was buying my first VR headset, some people said 'wait', I didn't, and loved the few months of Rift ownership. Then, when I was about to buy my Vive Pro, some people said 'wait', I didn't and I have really enjoyed my VR experiences since.

Some people seem to regard buying a piece of technology as a one-off permanent decision. It's not. Buy something, then if you want something better down the line, just sell it and move on. It's really no big deal.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes, do it! With tech, you can always wait.. and wait.. and wait. When I was buying my first VR headset, some people said 'wait', I didn't, and loved the few months of Rift ownership. Then, when I was about to buy my Vive Pro, some people said 'wait', I didn't and I have really enjoyed my VR experiences since.

Some people seem to regard buying a piece of technology as a one-off permanent decision. It's not. Buy something, then if you want something better down the line, just sell it and move on. It's really no big deal.

I concur. Our mindset still believes we are going to live forever. When I bought my Rift last May, I wondered why I hadn´t bought it earlier.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Yup. I basically got my Rift thinking id try it out and if i didnt like it i would know what to look for in future HMDs. As it is its pretty good, but now i know i want more res, and better frame rates. But for being gen1 technology its pretty good.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).