[FIXED FOR NEXT UPDATE] Radar and tracking

DarksydeRob

Hornet is great so far , but for BVR it really isnt up for the task at the moment and really its kind of useless as you cant do any manuvering really when your trying to track someone. You can scan an area and never one target properly so far so my question is how long till we can get a properly functioning radar after EA release ?

EDIT:

Here is the radar in action:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lbai6o79d5pfjc/2018-05-31_14-47-01.mp4?dl=0

Edited by DarksydeRob

I think he means the player needs to stay locked onto a single target to guide AIM-7s, and that track while scan isn't implemented yet.

Not talking about TWS , you cant even lock one target properly. If you have a 3 ship in formation it will actually switch lock. It doesnt lock a single target properly but when you lock you select an area vertically to continuously scan , either the STT is really bad at this point or isnt implemented properly.

Edited by DarksydeRob

True! I confirmed that if you "lock" on nowhere without any contact it will "lock" or just scan that point.

I think STT doesnt exists at this point, it just looks for whatever is near the zone where you pressed lock button.

Pls report?

Yeah thats what I'm thinking. You can use RWS which im asuming means Range While Scan , havent looked it up yet. But that just gets an area to scan and even if it gets a target it doesnt keep to it. Sometimes it tries to track two people at once as well.

But sometimes it does follow through, ive put a video at the top as an edit.

Start an instant action mission and try to lock one aircraft in a flight

Lock jumps all over the place, even after getting the shoot cue it jumps onto another ship

Aim 7 is only good for single targets as the radar gets confused and can’t hold a lock

Also it seems to hold a lock even after an aircraft is downed and you have to unlock it

Not sure if it’s meant to happen but TDC always returns to top left corner when unlocking targets

Edited by L4wnd4rt

Radar limitations - maintaining lock

Having the radar simulated in such detail for the Hornet makes the usual tactics I am used to on the Mirage 2000 and other fighters very difficult to execute, as defensive maneuvering while maintaining a lock is very restricted now.

I would really like to see from an official source (by that I mean ED and the SMEs) what the actual limitations are:

What is the max ac. roll rate?

What is the max ac. pitch rate?

What are the recommended defensive maneuvers during a head on engagement with SARH missiles?

Are there any plans to code similiar restrictions to the other fighters radars? (while still keeping them simplified)

Although radars arent 100% reliable they should be able to track a lot more consistently than currently in the hornet. Hopefully it doesnt take too long down the early access timeline to get a hornet that can do BVR at something that isnt just flying straight.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the problem that fly head on towards a target and the radar will never find it. Not one time. Only once did I actually see a target, but my joystick was not working and I was not able to test if I was bale to lock it.

Never again.

I wait for about 3 minutes and then I can see the enemy and he shoots a M9 at me and I'm dead.

My radar will not see him.

Is this WIP or am I too stupid to use it?

I followed Wags video.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

The radar should be able to maintain track while the aircraft rolls. Only issue could be from momentary side-lobes when the plane is upside down and close to the deck, as the guard horn is on the bottom on the antenna.

However, the radar has track memory, so that if it loses the track it continues to predict the targets location and will attempt to reacquire. All of this happens extremely fast, and as such a pilot may not even notice the track was lost and reacquired.

I have the problem that fly head on towards a target and the radar will never find it. Not one time. Only once did I actually see a target, but my joystick was not working and I was not able to test if I was bale to lock it.

Never again.

I wait for about 3 minutes and then I can see the enemy and he shoots a M9 at me and I'm dead.

My radar will not see him.

Is this WIP or am I too stupid to use it?

I followed Wags video.

Its not just you, don't use the Hornet for PvP/A2A untill they work on the radar a bit more and have a functioning STT.

I can't pick up anything on radar....

So I set up this mission like 7 planes flying various altitudes between 2000-7000 meters and I'm trying to pick them up on radar. I have the radar in the 6B mode 140 degrees at 80km view range. and I know theyre no more 40km out. so 80 should be more than enough. I scanned the sky for like 15mins and got nothing....

I would pick up 3 planes for a second and lose them again. never to be seen again they were friendly I dont know if the radar is somehow set to filter off friendlies ?

also how do I select aim 7s? seem to always be stuck in aim9 mode.

heres a picture of my radar set up. I didn't upload a track because this is literally all that happened I scanned for 15 mins like this and got absolutely nothing. what am I doing wrong? is my radar set up wrong?

attachment.php?attachmentid=188173&stc=1&d=1529674919

dsdsds.thumb.png.b793f3f626d428dd4c305eb72e6dd335.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

Click bottom right ddi button "Data", then click the top right ddi button (it should have an 8 below it), and change that to "32".

That will make the contacts stay on the display longer, or so I've heard.

Nothing to do with his question. That's targeting ageing so when a target disappears of your radar view, you get to see his ghost for 2,4,8,16,32 seconds after you lose him on radar.

He specifically said he would pick a plane up for a second then lose them... sounds like aging is at least part of the issue, especially if he's going to run around using a 6bar scan. It takes almost 18 seconds to complete a 6 bar scan, so aging is definitely coming into play.

Nothing to do with his question. That's targeting ageing so when a target disappears of your radar view, you get to see his ghost for 2,4,8,16,32 seconds after you lose him on radar.

He specifically said he would pick a plane up for a second then lose them... sounds like aging is at least part of the issue, especially if he's going to run around using a 6bar scan. It takes almost 18 seconds to complete a 6 bar scan, so aging is definitely coming into play.

ya is there a disadvantage of using the 6bar scan? I just thought it could cover more area, I understand its slower but lets say u dont know where the targets are thats how ur going to be scanning am I wrong?

also yes I picked up the planes on radar for a second but never again...just permanently lost them. so i'm not sure making the ghost image stay on longer is necessarily going to help.

these planes weren't doing anything crazy either btw, they were just flying straight patterns back and forth.

ok It seems this thread as been merged with another one in the bug section so I guess my issue is an early access bug. thats cool I just thought I was doing something wrong.

Edited by Growling Sidewinder

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

had the targets been within a cloud layer, had similar issues with su25s at max bad weather flying in clouds and heavy rain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i've seen that radar lock tweaks has been reported in the changelog, now is possible to keep lock of offboresight target which is great, however the radar loose lock momentarily when you crank too much(but still within the gimbals) or if you crank too fast, and after a second or so re-track the target.

I know this is WIP, just wondering if at some point it won´t be WIP anymore and just bad radar operation from our side. For example if we need to take into account a maximum degree/sec turn so as not to cause a radar lock.

Is there any limitations in the real radar for this? It would be nice to have some real input from a hornet pilot or the devs.

Similar issue just now on the 104th, low level high closure rate the WACQ mode was showing the target 30 degrees left and down when actually the Flanker was sat right on my nose, and even turning into where the symbology showed the Flanker to be (which was actually beneath the ground) the symbology was still showing ~30 degrees regardless of turn rate.

"If the MWS didn't see it, it didn't happen"