Initial Hornet Impressions w/ Bugs Reports

neofightr

This is a relatively short video talking about my initial impressions of the module and more specifically some shortcomings I have noticed with the slow-flight flight model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynUj60zicDw&t=148s

I make it very clear in my video that I know this is early access and I am not expecting a perfect module so this is why I am posting this video to provide feedback from another subject matter expert source to the devs.

I plan to post an advanced topic video on case 1 approaches and landings real soon.

Edited by neofightr

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff, thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Hi neofightr,

I think the community will very much apprechiate ANY input you can give on the Hornet in the future, no matter what it is about. I know I certainly will.

It is great that we have you here, and it is even greater that you are willing to share some of your knowledge with the community.

I'll subscribe to this thread and will watch anything you upload about the Hornet (;

Thanks !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy

Pretty sure the speedbrake operation is spot on already...

Been around aircrew for almost 20 years now...the skeptic just became a lot more skepticle.

Bottom line: when I pressed back on the speedbrake switch on the throttle I DID NOT HAVE TO HOLD IT IN to get the speedbrake to fully extend. I simply toggled it back and the SB fully deployed.

When I flew the Hornet there was no indicator to show you at what interemediate position the speedbrake was at.

And if this is the case in real life then it was an update after the year 2000 timeframe when I stopped flying.

In any case if the devs are modeling a lot 20 post 2000 then there will be discrepancies between what I flew and what I am seeing in this sim.

I find it fascinating how easily you dismissed my background considering the detail I went into with my first video.

In any case, at this rate you will be calling me a fraud on my next video for sure.

Great video, only thing that I found incorrect was the statement about Betty not being the original one when in fact the sound files were taken directly from Boeing in the making of this module.

Well, 1200 hours in the Hornet and I don't remember Betty having a slight accent (drawl).

It's possible that Boeing updated Betty's voice post-2000 to update the voice lines for the super-hornet and upgraded the hornet but she does not sound like the girl I remember (slightly off both in accent and age).

Remember the Hornet was designed and produced in the early 80s so by 2000 if they were to do new voice lines the original voice actor would have been 20 years older or they got another voice actor to update the lines for the super hornet.

Minor quibble for me obviously.

Edited by neofightr

Mind that this is a 2005 Lot 20. Boeing most probably updated Betty's voice, after all, she isn't there for a one time job! IIRC it was an engineer at Boeing who's voice was used, so it would make sense that it is with every lot that they update the voice, and even if she wasn't an engineer, I'd presume they update the voice every time as well.

Edited by WarrenSkip

Bottom line: when I pressed back on the speedbrake switch on the throttle I DID NOT HAVE TO HOLD IT IN to get the speedbrake to fully extend. I simply toggled it back and the SB fully deployed.

When I flew the Hornet there was no indicator to show you at what interemediate position the speedbrake was at.

And if this is the case in real life then it was an update after the year 2000 timeframe when I stopped flying.

In any case if the devs are modeling a lot 20 post 2000 then there will be discrepancies between what I flew and what I am seeing in this sim.

I find it fascinating how easily you dismissed my background considering the detail I went into with my first video.

In any case, at this rate you will be calling me a fraud on my next video for sure.

Did you make that video then? Or did someone else? Your video shows the exact opposite and you said the exact opposite of what you are saying in your post right now. It incrementally opens in the video, and you say it should not. Now you are saying that it opened all the way and it should not...when it didn’t do that at all in your video.

There’s reasons why I’m not buying into it, that’s just one. Again, I work with fighter guys every day of my life and have done so for the last 19 years...

Did you make that video then? Or did someone else? Your video shows the exact opposite and you said the exact opposite of what you are saying in your post right now. It incrementally opens in the video, and you say it should not. Now you are saying that it opened all the way and it should not...when it didn’t do that at all in your video.

There’s reasons why I’m not buying into it, that’s just one. Again, I work with fighter guys every day of my life and have done so for the last 19 years...

that's not how i interpreted his description at all... may need to read it again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Wow, just wow....

that's not how i interpreted his description at all... may need to read it again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty simple, speedbrake incrementally extends in video, voice claims it should not. Post here says it fully extended without having to hold.

Speedbrake in the sim functions incrementally based on current switch position. As advertised.

Edited by Rainmaker

Rainmaker,

In the video, neofightr is comparing the current performance of the sim vs. the year-2000 Lot 20 F/A-18C he flew in real-life (1,200 hrs reported).

He makes the comment that in real-life, to his recollection, the real jet airbrake behavior was different to that currently shown in the sim.

Rainmaker,

In the video, neofightr is comparing the current performance of the sim vs. the year-2000 Lot 20 F/A-18C he flew in real-life (1,200 hrs reported).

He makes the comment that in real-life, to his recollection, the real jet airbrake behavior was different to that currently shown in the sim.

I get what he is claiming. Go ahead and find previous versions of the flight manual that date back earlier than that. I’ll wait. Wanna bet paychecks operation is the same?

It seems very rash and narrow minded to dismiss any input straight away.

Could you not ask these "Fighter Guys" you works with, see what their recollection of the speed brake operation is?

It seems very rash and narrow minded to dismiss any input straight away.

Could you not ask these "Fighter Guys" you works with, see what their recollection of the speed brake operation is?

Tech data will give you the answer to that. Operational schematics will too. I was an electrician by trade and secondary flight controls are somethig I’m pretty familiar with.

Do you know that to be true? Asking for a friend...

Obviously not, I don’t know him at all, just saw his video. However, what he said and the way he said it in the video convinced me. Now, I’m talking about his flight model arguments specifically, the way the FCS behaves after dropping the flaps to full or the way the plane behaves after reducing thrust.

About the speed brake thing - honestly no idea. Maybe you’re both right and his F/A-18C was different, although I wonder why Boeing would change the speedbrakes all of the sudden.

This part of the video, as well as the probably subjective (and maybe attributable to sound mixing) bitching betty discrepancy aren’t as interesting as the FCS stuff for me though.

Here is a falling leaf video of the Hornet.

At the very end you hear Betty chime in with "altitude" and "flight controls".

This is the Betty I remembered from my flying days.

Boeing gave ED an updated version of Betty that probably came out of Rhino development.

I have no doubt that the C/Ds were updated with this voice but she was not my Betty ;)

Edited by neofightr

Can most definitely hear the difference, I guess Boeing did update the sounds, a southern touch you could say :)

Also your critique of the flaps situation pulling you straight down is great, Wags thankfully acknowledged it and said they are working on it, it's been giving me a real hard time with it lol, that sudden nose-dive!

Your video was fantastic in any case, and ignore those who doubt you, it is very obvious, if it wasn't before, your legitimacy. You are quite the only one to point out that flaps issue, and you turned out correct, and so with the Betty thing, only people who've had real time with the Hornet could have known that.

Keep the videos coming man!

Edited by WarrenSkip

Boeing gave ED and updated version of Betty that probably came out of Rhino development.

I have no doubt that the C/Ds were updated with this voice but she was not my Betty ;)

I guess Boeing did update the sounds, a southern touch you could say :)

I remember I heard the betty from the sim in one hornet video, can't remember if it was a documentary or a cruise video, maybe even was a superhornet, but it was the only time I heard it.. All the other videos I watched, be it HUD tapes or otherwise, had the betty from the falling leaf video so I assumed that only very late hornets got the updated betty sounds.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now