Initial Hornet Impressions w/ Bugs Reports

neofightr

Here is a falling leaf video of the Hornet.

At the very end you hear Betty chime in with "altitude" and "flight controls".

This is the Betty I remembered from my flying days.

Boeing gave ED an updated version of Betty that probably came out of Rhino development.

I have no doubt that the C/Ds were updated with this voice but she was not my Betty ;)

Okay, nvm the sound mixing, this sounds waaay different. Guess ED got an updated voice after all. Nice.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously not, I don’t know him at all, just saw his video. However, what he said and the way he said it in the video convinced me. Now, I’m talking about his flight model arguments specifically, the way the FCS behaves after dropping the flaps to full or the way the plane behaves after reducing thrust.

That’s anyone and everyone’s personal choice.

About the speed brake thing - honestly no idea. Maybe you’re both right and his F/A-18C was different, although I wonder why Boeing would change the speedbrakes all of the sudden.

Legacy manuals are the same. F-16, A-10, etc all the same. F-15 built by the same manufacturer, the same. That’s my point. When you get different applicability codes, you get different notes/flagnotes denoting the difference. Tech data is built that way, there aren’t hidden easter eggs or secret changes.

Thank you very much for your video and comments regarding the flight model. Although I have not flown the F/A-18C, I have flown a number of different aircraft including single-engine pistons, multi-engine turboprops, and multi-engine jets as a professional pilot.

I immediately recognized the same problems you mentioned in the video after flying the DCS Hornet for a few minutes. It is just not how a real jet aircraft behaves. I am hopeful and confident that the developers will look into the issues with the flight model, thrust, and airspeed behavior.

Edited by Chops

This is what I found in the NATOPS manual

NATOPS FLIGHT MANUAL
NAVY MODEL
F/A-18A/B/C/D
161353 AND UP
AIRCRAFT

THIS PUBLICATION SUPERSEDES A1-F18AC-NFM-000 DATED
1 AUGUST 2006 CHANGED 15 JUNE 2007

[b]2.8.4.8.1 Speedbrake Switch. [/b]
The speedbrake switch is on the right throttle grip and has three
unmarked positions.
[b]Aft detent[/b] Extends the speedbrake as long as the switch is held aft. Springloaded to
center detent.
[b]Forward detent[/b] Retracts the speedbrake or maintains the speedbrake retracted and prevents
creep.
[b]Center detent[/b] Stops the speedbrake in any position. The speedbrake may slowly creep
open.

If I understood correctly when switched to AFT it opens automatically until you dont move the switch to CENTER.

As much I read here ED got it right... at least from the manual!

Initial impressions and feedback for the devs

Per NATOPS...must have been a late lot change. Great video though, and thanks for taking the time to help ED refine things

1d7aadeab4079c5f09b06bb6cc35d81f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

This is what I found in the NATOPS manual

NATOPS FLIGHT MANUAL
NAVY MODEL
F/A-18A/B/C/D
161353 AND UP
AIRCRAFT

THIS PUBLICATION SUPERSEDES A1-F18AC-NFM-000 DATED
1 AUGUST 2006 CHANGED 15 JUNE 2007

[b]2.8.4.8.1 Speedbrake Switch. [/b]
The speedbrake switch is on the right throttle grip and has three
unmarked positions.
[b]Aft detent[/b] Extends the speedbrake as long as the switch is held aft. Springloaded to
center detent.
[b]Forward detent[/b] Retracts the speedbrake or maintains the speedbrake retracted and prevents
creep.
[b]Center detent[/b] Stops the speedbrake in any position. The speedbrake may slowly creep
open.

If I understood correctly when switched to AFT it opens automatically until you dont move the switch to CENTER.

As much I read here ED got it right... at least from the manual!

I will talk about this in my next video.

I stand corrected, all my time in the Hornet I assumed the SB would either fully extend or fully retract unless you intentionally went the other way with the SB switch to stop it.

I never ever mentally had to track where the speedbrake position was, in my mind it was either fully extended for fully retracted based on my switch inputs.

Good on ED for getting it right with the NATOPS.

Your Video is Great, I will pay attention to your videos as you release them and maybe skip learning all the "bad habits".

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

You can set up the boat switch on the Warthog throttle to emulate this.

The same goes for the speed brake switch on the Warthog throttle.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

I will talk about this in my next video.

I stand corrected, all my time in the Hornet I assumed the SB would either fully extend or fully retract unless you intentionally went the other way with the SB switch to stop it.

I never ever mentally had to track where the speedbrake position was, in my mind it was either fully extended for fully retracted based on my switch inputs.

Good on ED for getting it right with the NATOPS.

It's awesome to see that some pilots don't know some mini-features of their birds, shows that you guys can overlook stuff just like normal guys like us :D.

BTW, is it normal to struggle with power with gears & flaps full, to the point of using Mil power almost through the whole approach? (with clean bird, no stores, less than 4k lb of fuel no less). Or maybe I've messed up my throttle axis or something.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

SCU, I think that you are being affected by what the pilot was talking about, when he was saying the plane is currently loosing speed to fast and falling like a rock in full land config, we will have to compensate while the dev's perfect the flight model on the slow end.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

So I've launched the F-18 off the deck and played this ^^^^ in the background for a little bit of nostalgia, its like a super updated version of USNF. If i'd have had this in the 90's with VR I would have had heart failure...… Thanks devs the F-18 is superb.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

You can set up the boat switch on the Warthog throttle to emulate this.

Matt, can you please share your thoughts on the flight model, and the comments made in the video? Are the developers aware of these issues?

The Carrier landings and pattern work shown in your early access training videos are quite impressive, especially given the state of the early access flight model.

Matt, can you please share your thoughts on the flight model, and the comments made in the video? Are the developers aware of these issues?

The Carrier landings and pattern work shown in your early access training videos are quite impressive, especially given the state of the early access flight model.

Matt Wagner commented under the video writing that they are aware indeed.

Flap issue was already addressed before this...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=210126&highlight=flap

Boeing handing out wrong Betty remains unresolved tho. Perhaps she is classified.

I wrote earlier that I heard the same Betty from the sim in one of the RL videos.. So she was definitely used in the real jet. I am regretting now that I didn't save that video to reference it here :doh:

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

Boeing handing out wrong Betty remains unresolved tho. Perhaps she is classified.

I don't think there is any real conspiracy there. She does all the Boeing voices in the real F-15, has done so for as long as I know, and it still sounds a bit different than the ones you hear on recorded audio footage. Depending on how it's recorded, what's used to play it back, what's used to record(used to be 8 mil tape now mostly digital recording from what I know of). Raw audio vs what you hear sent over the cockpit system and then recorded again for the videos that most people know can be plenty different.

I wrote earlier that I heard the same Betty from the sim in one of the RL videos.. So she was definitely used in the real jet. I am regretting now that I didn't save that video to reference it here :doh:

A real pilot says on the internet that the Betty "isn't original, but pretty close". I'd not dare to argue with that. The simplest explanation is that Betty is classified.

p.s. I am real Betty and I'll make a video about it. :pilotfly: