Crash to desktop upon start

Red Squirrel

Hi there,

I would be most grateful for some advice on this:

I´m running Open Beta 2.5.2.17978 (which I created from the stable release using Skate Zillas extremely helpful Updater Utility). Worked great until I tried to use the new Persian Gulf Map and the F 18. Both didn´t work i.e "crash to desktop" when trying to use them (different story, I guess, or is it?) but after doing a restart in order to fix this, DCS won´t start at all (have tried all available methods including start in VR or without VR via the Updater Utility). Two login popups appear very briefly, then nothing, i.e. desktop (and no sign of DCS in the task manager). The only thing I remember that I might have changed between everything ok (except the new modules) and nothing is working at all is that I have clicked "stay logged in" at some point...

Now comes the strange part. After doing a repair (I was afraid to do a cleanup as this seems to eliminate all kind of stuff from downloaded missions) with the Updater Utility I followed Big Newys advice and deleted the DCS folder in Saved Games. The login window pops up, I enter the login data and then again DCS vanishes. On the next attempt (after deleting the DCS Folder again) I "quit" the login procedure (without logging in), and DCS opened correctly (however informing me, that of course I can't use any of my bought modules). When I tried to login from inside the game´s Main Menu, DCS crashes again. So it´s the attempt to login which stops the game instantly.

When I enter a wrong password, I get the "incorrect password" notice (not sure whether that's an indication that there is connection to the ED server...)

I have checked, that the DCS.exe is on the whitelist for the Windows firewall and my Norton firewall. I have disabled my Norton Anti Virus, no change...

With my limited knowledge I´m really out of options and any help would be extremely appreciated!

Have attached the zip file as per Bignewys instructions...(and an additional file which was created after my successful start without prior login and the crash upon the subsequent login from the game).

Thanks a lot!

DCS Log offline start.txt

Logs.zip

• ED Team

Hi Red Squirrel,

My guess is something has corrupted your install, probably norton.

Try replacing your updater here, under troubleshooting

http://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks so much for your very fast reply.

As I´m pretty close to "dumbest assumable user" I sort of messed it up. What I did is downloading the DCS_updater_64bit.zip (the one under Troubleshooting), extracted it in my download folder and ran it (I can see you rolling your eyes). It downloaded and copied for a while (I shutoff the Norton AV beforehand) and then told me that it has finished installing 2.5.0.1536.345 (the stable version), and then I got an error message that the bin/dcs.exe file couldn´t be found.

I checked in the explorer and found, that my Open Beta installation in my Programmes Folder (the one thats not working) is untouched, but that the updater has created some sort of part installation of the stable version in my download folder, the one in which I extracted the new updater. That version cant run (and has no bin folder by the way). I should probably have extracted the updater to the DCS file under Programmes.

As I´m very short of SSD space and have been planning to get a separate larger SSD for my simulators/games I will try the following:

Delete the newly created files in my download folder via Explorer

Copy the DCS Saved Games Folder to save my config files

Copy folder with my mods which I manage with OVGME.

Uninstall my current Open Beta installation using the unins000.exe in the DCS World

Install the new SSD

Deactivate Norton

Go to https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/ and download installer

Run installer (as I understand the Installation Instruction on the DCS Website while running I will be prompted to chose a directory (not sure whether I have to create a special folder or just give the letter of the new SSD)

When all is finished take a deep breath, cross my fingers and run DCS.

If DCS runs, install all my modules via module manager

Substitute config file in Saved Games with the old one.

Reinstall OVGME (and _Mods file) and Skatezillas Updater Utility in new DCS folder.

Does that make sense?

Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it.

• ED Team

I think that makes sense :)

you could always go nuclear and go with a full delete of dcs and fresh install if not :)

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

"go nuclear"... for a very short moment I was tempted to throw in an incredibly funny pun involving North Corea

Thanks again and I´ll let you know how it went.

So this will be about a week of DCS cold turkey with the new PG map and the F 18 just out of reach... I guess, poor old Tantalus wouldn´t want to be in my shoes…

Have a great weekend!

Me, again… Sorry.

Installed OB on my new drive, worked ok for a couple of times, then after a restart the same problem again (may be pure coincidence but the last time I used the game before the restart, I ticked the box "save password"; I seem to remember that bevor my old installation failed, I checked "stay logged in").

As I have enough SSD space now I installed the release version, that works just fine.

Just for fun, I tried the OB Version again, and all of a sudden, it works (didn´t change a thing).

So that issue is miraculously solved for the time being...keep my fingers crossed.

But, as I have a very bad IT karma, (I just attract everything that can go wrong) if have two issues (not sure if it´s ok to post this here, if not just give me a hint and i´ll move it to where you think it´s appropriate):

When trying to fly the F 18 (Quickstart Mission) after loading is complete, I´m not sitting in the Aircraft, but back in the Hanger (in VR) with the map in front of me (just the map if I start with VR off). When I type f2, f3 and so on, I can see my aircraft externally, but pressing f1 does nothing, especially not bring me in the cockpit. The other modules work fine. Have attached a log with that scenario (dcs log f18) which is incredibly long...

When trying to use the Persian Gulf map I get an " terrain initialisation error". Have attached the log file "dcs log UH PG" (Quick start mission for Huey). From the log it seems to me that the issue is dcs not being able to load "mods/terrains/persiangulf/terrain.cfg.lua.dll.crypt" (there is something with that name in the folder specified in the error message, so the file exists at the right spot) and "mods/terrains/persiangulf/terrain.cfg.lua.dll" - that file -i.e. without the "crypt" - doesn´t exist in the folder. I have searched the forum and in the German section there is one guy with the same problem but no report how this was solved.

It´s a fresh install, no mods or stuff, did repair and clean but that didn´t change anything on both issues.

Again, help would be greatly appreciated!!!

dcs Log F 18.zip

dcs Log UH PG.zip

• ED Team

Hi

what antivirus are you using?

2018-06-07 21:23:23.299 ERROR SECURITYCONTROL: failed to load ./Mods/aircraft/FA-18C\bin\FA18C.dll.crypt

2018-06-07 21:23:23.300 ERROR WorldPlugIns: Can't load plugin module FA18C.dll

try adding the whole DCS folder to your allowed list for your antivirus.

something is preventing it from loading correctly.

Try a cleanup and repair also

thanks

IT WORKS!!!

I had whitelisted the DCS exe files in my regular Antivirus (Norton) right after installation but - according to recommendation of our federal "Agency for Risk Assessment" (I guess you are not surprised that we have something like that in Germany) - I´m running a second opinion Anti Malware something called Hitman Pro Alert which I had totally forgotten about. After deactivating this, everything works great...Just did the Huey City Tour in the PG map and the F 18 carrier start, I just love it (this is going to be a loooong night..). Great job, Guys.

Thanks to the ED Team giving us Close User Support on this forum. Never in the field of flight simulation was so much owed by so many to so few!