New SSAA setting

Thick8

Hi Guys,

Been running 1.7 SS with no AA. Just tried 1.5 SS with 1.5 SSAA. Looks much nicer and there is no drop in FPS. Am I using it right? What is it doing?

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

SSAA works with the Odyssey?

It certainly does not with the Rift.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I too am surprised. All that SSAA did for me (Rift) is make everything look impossibly zoomed in.

It's not even relevant for VR, because essentially it's the same as pixel density. SSAA upscales the resolution to a higher one and scales it down again. So basically it's pixel density for monitors.

I'm surprised you get no fps drop, as you're running at a much higher resolution.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I’m on holiday for the next week so no testing until then. I can’t imagine that it was super sampling twice at 1.5 because that would have been a slideshow.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I expect he was likely referring to monitor use, don't think there is any way ssaa can be used in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've noticed an improvement in the appearance and frame rates with the latest incarnation of the beta. SSAA doesn't appear to do anything, which would be consistent with what others have said about it not being intended for VR. MSAA, on the other hand? Still broken. Even 2X makes everything a jitter-fest, like one eye is lagging the other. With that turned completely off though, things run pretty smoothly. Definitely don't like the affects of the deferred shading being locked on. I'm trying to get deeper into the more advance functions of the CDU in the A-10C, and now the keys are so washed out I can't read them. So, I'll be back on the stable with the A-10C and use the beta for the new modules.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I've noticed an improvement in the appearance and frame rates with the latest incarnation of the beta. SSAA doesn't appear to do anything, which would be consistent with what others have said about it not being intended for VR. MSAA, on the other hand? Still broken. Even 2X makes everything a jitter-fest, like one eye is lagging the other. snip

That is odd I am running 2x MSAA without any issue, very smooth for me. I can even run 4x MSAA without a problem, I prefer 2x due to a little better performance. Your rig is certainly beefier than mine also.

Don B

That is odd I am running 2x MSAA without any issue, very smooth for me. I can even run 4x MSAA without a problem, I prefer 2x due to a little better performance. Your rig is certainly beefier than mine also.

What pixel density are you running, Dburne? I'm running 2.0 on mine. Maybe that's why I'm having issues, or maybe I've got something else going on with my machine. Its a new build, so there's definitely a possibility I haven't squashed all the bugs yet. The jitters I'm seeing look like the image is separating between the left and right eye, so it jumps back and forth. Turning the MSAA off makes that go away.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

What pixel density are you running, Dburne? I'm running 2.0 on mine. Maybe that's why I'm having issues, or maybe I've got something else going on with my machine. Its a new build, so there's definitely a possibility I haven't squashed all the bugs yet. The jitters I'm seeing look like the image is separating between the left and right eye, so it jumps back and forth. Turning the MSAA off makes that go away.

Yeah that may be a little high on PD.

I am running 1.5 currently.

Don B

I've noticed an improvement in the appearance and frame rates with the latest incarnation of the beta. SSAA doesn't appear to do anything, which would be consistent with what others have said about it not being intended for VR. MSAA, on the other hand? Still broken. Even 2X makes everything a jitter-fest, like one eye is lagging the other. With that turned completely off though, things run pretty smoothly. Definitely don't like the affects of the deferred shading being locked on. I'm trying to get deeper into the more advance functions of the CDU in the A-10C, and now the keys are so washed out I can't read them. So, I'll be back on the stable with the A-10C and use the beta for the new modules.

Adjusting the gamma helped with the deferred shading. Someone re-did the A-10 cockpit texture files so that the text is more legible.

Yeah that may be a little high on PD.

I am running 1.5 currently.

I have it set at 1.5 now with 2X MSAA which looks and runs great. 4X MSAA is much better, but still not perfectly smooth. 8X MSAA in the Stable version, with PD set at 1.5, on the other hand, looks and runs amazingly! Thanks for the tip, Dburne! It hadn't occurred to me that MSAA would make 1.5 PD look just as good, if not better than 2.0 PD with no MSAA.

Thick8, I'll try a lower gamma and see what happens. Thanks! :D

I have it set at 1.5 now with 2X MSAA which looks and runs great. 4X MSAA is much better, but still not perfectly smooth. 8X MSAA in the Stable version, with PD set at 1.5, on the other hand, looks and runs amazingly! Thanks for the tip, Dburne! It hadn't occurred to me that MSAA would make 1.5 PD look just as good, if not better than 2.0 PD with no MSAA.

:thumbup:

You are most welcome! From what I have seen PD above 1.5 has very diminishing returns especially with the performance hit, and really for me I will take MSAA over PD any day.

Don B

:thumbup:

... really for me I will take MSAA over PD any day.

Say the person with the ti:smilewink: :) I've turned PD down to the lowest setting with 2xAA and I still get really low fps.:doh: I want a ti so bad.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Say the person with the ti:smilewink: :) I've turned PD down to the lowest setting with 2xAA and I still get really low fps.:doh: I want a ti so bad.

Pimp, what nVidia driver are you using?

I have a GTX1080, and have been flying with a PD 1.5 and AA of 2x just great.

My system specs below. My nVidia driver version = 397.93

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

SSAA is Disabled above 1080P and when using VR.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 month later...

Concerning the PD discussion: try 1.2PD and 2xMSAA. I've found that the graphical difference is minor compared to higher settings, but the performance is optimal. I have a monster system and still choose to run at this setting. See this for more info.

[TABLE]

__PD__

|

_MSAA_

|

_Quality_

|Performance

1|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

1.2+

|

|

|

[/TABLE]

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm