[REPORTED] Game Locks Up / Freezes

statrekmike

I have been experiencing a rather severe issue with the Hornet. Every time I fly the plane, the game will freeze up tight (have to close it via task manager) after somewhere around ten or fifteen minutes of play. There does not seem to be any particular event or condition that brings it on (tried in a variety of missions/maps) but it happens consistently.

The odd thing is that this does not happen at all with other modules. I have no troubles with them. It is only the Hornet that causes these freezes.

Sadly, this does not seem to produce anything in the log that I can see. It does not create a crash report.

I tried to do some troubleshooting. I updated my video drivers, updated windows, ran a repair on DCS word, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the Hornet module itself. Nothing seems to do anything.

Just for reference, I am running a i7 6700K, 16 gigs of RAM, GTX 1070, and a 1080p monitor. Nothing is going wrong with the parts, the temps are fine and everything works as it should.

Since this is only happening with the Hornet and nobody else seems to be reporting problems, I have to surmise that I am a fringe case.

Edited by statrekmike

nope have the same issue as you in persian gulf module will try thge other map, seems to occur all the time when i bank or turn sharply to the left, might be a concidence but will keep trying i do get a crash report, check your logs in your saved games, also forgot to mentioned happens at the same point just after contacting the tanker for refuel

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: DCS.exe

Application Version: 2.5.2.17978

Application Timestamp: 5b0d4d8c

Hang Signature: a0c8

Hang Type: 2048

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: a0c802cca239f59ce77054e32b05bc85

Additional Hang Signature 2: 1098

Additional Hang Signature 3: 10983df08f114063748f27e7bf5cf62c

Additional Hang Signature 4: a0c8

Additional Hang Signature 5: a0c802cca239f59ce77054e32b05bc85

Additional Hang Signature 6: 1098

Additional Hang Signature 7: 10983df08f114063748f27e7bf5cf62c

dcs.log-20180601-060553.zip

Edited by pete_auau

I'm getting the same issue, my screen went black for a second or two before the freeze, all good at my end DCS World stable runs fine

MoBo Asus TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) / CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / GPU Asus TUF RTX3080 / RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 @ 3600MHz / V-NAND SSD 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 / PSU Corsair RM750 / CPU Cooler Corsair H100i Platinum / OS Win 10 :pilotfly: 

• ED Team

Hi

try deleting your metashader folders here

C:\Users\start\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\

restart DCS and try a single player mission, first load will take a long time due to new shader creation.

does it help?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

very strange with it just being the hornet.

What antivirus are you using? wonder if something is going on there?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Not using a anti-virus beyond the basic Windows 10 setup.

Oddly enough, I went ahead and deleted just the "metashaders2" folder just now and was able to do a couple of long flights without incident. I will go ahead and do some more testing tomorrow but if things go as they are, it seems to be fixed.

also forgot to mentioned happens at the same point just after contacting the tanker for refuel

I have had that happen as well, but at the exact time my belly tank got filled up.

I also had it happen when a bogey turned towards me, with my radar in boresight mode and AIM-7 selected.

I went through the log file but can't seem to find anything that would explain the crash.

I always delete the fxo and metashaders/metashaders2 folders after a patch, but I'll try it again now and see if I have issues again.

dcs_log.zip

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I have had that happen as well, but at the exact time my belly tank got filled up.

I also had it happen when a bogey turned towards me, with my radar in boresight mode and AIM-7 selected.

I went through the log file but can't seem to find anything that would explain the crash.

I always delete the fxo and metashaders/metashaders2 folders after a patch, but I'll try it again now and see if I have issues again.

be interesting to see the results,

Nope, I thought it was fixed last night but I just tried a basic scenario this morning (a player flown F/A-18 and a AI Tu-22 flying towards each other) and after about ten or so minutes in the air, it just froze dead.

Again, this does not happen in other modules so there is something going on specifically with the Hornet here. It does not crash but it hard freezes and I need to end the task to quit the game.

This has happened to me a number of times. I first noticed it last night when using the "Fast Action" missions on Caucasus. I have not had this issue with the Persian Gulf. I created my own mission with me flying towards an IL-76, once the IL-76 got within 100 nm, my game froze and had to be terminated. I attached the log file from that flight.

It seems to happen when I get within a certain distance of an enemy plane, but it isn't consistent. I was able to use my guns on the IL- 76 in the AIM-7 practice mission, but the second I got close to the MIG-25, my game froze.

If it helps, I have the same specs as Mike, but with DCS on an SSD.

dcs.zip

Edited by Chilcix

So I have been spending the better part of the day troubleshooting this (in hopes that I can get some information that can actually help solve this issue) and I can't. The DCS.log file is not really producing any meaningful results (that I can see), and there are no tracks produced or crash log to find.

What I have noticed is that it seems to happen reliably when I set up a mission in the Caucuses where I am in a F/A-18 (set to client) that air starts at 25,000 feet. I put a Tu-22 (that I can spawn in using the F-10 menu) about 100 nautical miles away and we both head straight for each other. The mission starts fine and performance is very good. I do experience very occasional micro-freezes every now and again but that does not seem to be a issue. Once I get inside 40 nautical miles, (generally takes about nine minutes or so), the game will lock up entirely. It does not crash or quit on its own. It just freezes with audio in the background (probably looping over and over).

At that point, I have to use the task manager to force the game to quite via "end task" but since it was a freeze and not a crash, I don't think DCS can generate a meaningful report.

It seems to be kinda random. Sometimes I can get more than ten minutes (like last night when I flew the waypoint training mission). In the scenario I just described, it happens 100% of the time.

Also, I have tried both the Persian Gulf map and the Caucasus and it freezes in both maps. I have also routinely deleted the metashaders and FXO folder.

My graphics driver is up to date, windows is up to date. I have no idea what else to do at this point.

[MORE DETAIL NEEDED] Freeze during AAR

Not sure if it is a particular tanker or now, but when i am trying AAR, and i have made contact and disconnect, the game freezes 10-15 seconds after my probe is retracted. Tried with both S-3 and KC-130B.

Advise if Track file or anything else is needed unless this has been reported

LEGS - JTF-13

be interesting to see the results,

No problems today. Fingers crossed!

Thread title says need more info, but there is not much we can do really. There is NO crash, just freeze.

Indeed, and nothing special mentioned in DCS.log cry.gif

I understand more info is needed for the sake of reproducing things, but you can't even make a screenshot to show what exactly you were doing at the exact time the game freezes...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I will include what I can but keep in mind that it is not crashing so there is no crash log at all. Here is everything, I put the DCS.log file in a zip since it would not let me upload it otherwise.

Not sure why, but your steam streaming mic is showing up as a speaker "audio output". also you have x2 device recognitions for your throttle and stick.

I will include what I can but keep in mind that it is not crashing so there is no crash log at all. Here is everything, I put the DCS.log file in a zip since it would not let me upload it otherwise.

also...here's this link because you're having the same app crash

Problem signature:

P1: ATKEX_cmd.exe

P2: 0.0.0.0

P3: 00000000

P4: KERNELBASE.dll

P5: 10.0.16299.402

P6: 81d25214

P7: 0eedfade

P8: 00103f12

P9:

P10:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/upgraded-from-windows-7-to-windows-10-now-world-of/e9bd0e88-9daf-412e-86cc-6d7d74ce82ff

nope have the same issue as you in persian gulf module will try thge other map, seems to occur all the time when i bank or turn sharply to the left, might be a concidence but will keep trying i do get a crash report, check your logs in your saved games, also forgot to mentioned happens at the same point just after contacting the tanker for refuel

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: DCS.exe

Application Version: 2.5.2.17978

Application Timestamp: 5b0d4d8c

Hang Signature: a0c8

Hang Type: 2048

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: a0c802cca239f59ce77054e32b05bc85

Additional Hang Signature 2: 1098

Additional Hang Signature 3: 10983df08f114063748f27e7bf5cf62c

Additional Hang Signature 4: a0c8

Additional Hang Signature 5: a0c802cca239f59ce77054e32b05bc85

Additional Hang Signature 6: 1098

Additional Hang Signature 7: 10983df08f114063748f27e7bf5cf62c

Haven't had the issue just flying around yet, but have just been playing a simple mission I created and DCS froze several times, restarts inbetween, on pressing the comms key. Sometimes could ask AWACS for Bogey Dope multiple times and it worked fine, then the next press of "" causes instant freeze, have to close DCS via task manager (Not responding).

No crash log as game froze

Comm 1 and 2 both tuned to 251

AWACS \ TANKER \ WINGMAN also on 251

Haven't had the issue just flying around yet, but have just been playing a simple mission I created and DCS froze several times, restarts inbetween, on pressing the comms key. Sometimes could ask AWACS for Bogey Dope multiple times and it worked fine, then the next press of "" causes instant freeze, have to close DCS via task manager (Not responding).

No crash log as game froze

Comm 1 and 2 both tuned to 251

AWACS \ TANKER \ WINGMAN also on 251

Can you list any background apps that you have running at the same time this occurs?

Hi guys, firstly just loving the Hornet, Well Done.

I am having a little issue, after about an hour of flight my sim just locks up. I have to go into task manager and kill DCS. It only seems to happen when i fly the Hornet, A10 and TF51 seem fine. I have attached the mission.

I am only new to DCS, is there a known trick to reseting things in the game that might be causing the lockup? Or do you think I should just do a reinstall of the whole thing.

System specs

Win10 Home 64bit, AMD Ryzen 1600X, GeForce 1060 3GB, 1TB SSD, 16GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz, TIR5, Thrustmaster Wathog, Saitek Combat Rudders, 2 x Thrustmaster MFD's, Virtual ICP.

I think I have added the log and the miz file. To be honest I was in level flight not touch the controls at all during the lockups.

dcs.zip

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

In order to give you guys as much info as possible, I have done a couple of things. Since it seems most people here are having the same issue I really hope this helps.

To start, I created a video that shows everything running on my PC, the mission I used, everything before the freeze, and everything afterwards. It also show how many resources DCS is using up via Task Manager.

The freeze happens around 11:34 when I first see the enemy plane on radar. I don't believe that to be the cause however, because I am able to load up another mission, destroy multiple enemy aircraft using the radar before I freeze. I believe it to happen within a certain time frame. For me it is between 9 and 12 minutes.

(Please note video quality will improve as it gets processed)

I have also attached my dxdiag file, log, and the mission that I used.

Really hope this helps! Let me know if I can help by supplying more footage.

dcs.zip

DxDiag.txt

teasstr.zip