[REPORTED] Game Locks Up / Freezes

statrekmike

I'm having the same issue, so I'll post what I can in hope to give more info to solve this problem.

I've had this freeze that requires to kill DCS in the task manager on different servers in multiplayer and in solo on different missions, every time with the same loadout of 3 fuel tanks 4 Aim7M and 2 Aim9M, and I use waypoints and TACAN to navigate. I ran multiple tests and every time the game freeze to death after about the same time, roughly 20 minutes. As for the others, nothing in the log file to exploit, the last entry is from 10 minutes before the freeze, I attached log files and a track file of a flight that ended up in a freeze.

Somehow, I tried the hot start instant action mission and wasn't able to reproduce the freeze after 40 minutes of flying the same way, with waypoints and a Tacan, but this time no loadout.

I tried a cleanup of DCS and a repair, deleting the metashaders folders, and no change, it keeps freezing in the hornet.

My specs are the following:

Win10 Home 64bit, Intel I5-4690K, GeForce 1060 6GB, 500GB SSD, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Edtracker, Logitech X56, Logitech Rudder pedals.

Logs.zip

Patrouilleur_du_FAIL_v89_experimental-20180602-005817.trk

Edited by colasmulo

Well no more 2 second black screen while flying the Hornet but had it freeze.

Something I noticed was you can fly below 20000 and it hasn't locked up, only while up at 28000+ ???

Attached log and dxdiag.

Thanks for your help

dcs.log.zip

DxDiag.txt

MoBo Asus TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) / CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / GPU Asus TUF RTX3080 / RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 @ 3600MHz / V-NAND SSD 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 / PSU Corsair RM750 / CPU Cooler Corsair H100i Platinum / OS Win 10 :pilotfly: 

seems to my issues is that i did a flight a simple nav flight lasted more than 40 minutes no issues last night, today did the same flight but added a refuel plane and imputed tcn which always ctds with a few minutes of imputing any numbers in the tcn channel. might try the update patch see if it will works

Changed loadout from the 1st CAP option to Intercept and have just had a freeze free hour long flight, could that CAP loadout have a bug????

MoBo Asus TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) / CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / GPU Asus TUF RTX3080 / RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 @ 3600MHz / V-NAND SSD 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 / PSU Corsair RM750 / CPU Cooler Corsair H100i Platinum / OS Win 10 :pilotfly: 

not for me tried everything different using the mission editor and have the dreaded freeze all except for one flight all i had done was a simple nav flight soon as i put things in than the issues arise, have tried the instant action as yet thats my next flight see if it happens there:)

dcs.zip

Edited by pete_auau

Hard freezes here too running todays patch.

Mission is a simple PGM single player in the F-18. Cold start on Stennis way out at sea and waypointed to Abu Dhabi. I'll be cruising at ~20k, maybe twenty-thirty minutes into the mission when the sim freezes. It's serious enough that DCS won't even allow access to task manager even when alt-tabbing. I have to use my lock screen hotkey then a full computer shutdown from lock screen.

Other assets on map are a bunch of coastal red and blue sams. No active triggers, airborne threats, or tasks of any kind. Simple A to B flight.

Same as the other posters I have no crash logs or tracks to give. : (

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Did some further testing just now. I was able to have a very long flight in a Hornet that air-started at 10,000 feet. I was able to intercept a enemy aircraft (ruling out any combat related causes) and shoot them down. After that, I continued for a good while at treetop level without any issue. I was even able to maintain exactly 20,000 feet for more than fifteen minutes without any sign of a freeze.

So it seems that when I do a air-start (with the same aircraft loadout, enemy forces, etc) at 25,000 feet, I freeze after nine minutes or so pretty reliably. If I stay at around 20,000 feet or lower, I don't have a issue at all.

In order to narrow this down and hopefully gather some useful and consistent data, I went ahead and created a mission with three Hornet air starts, two Hornet ground starts, and a Mirage air start (as a control). It might be useful for all of us to try out the various Hornet air starts and try to fly at the starting altitude as long as possible to see if we experience freezes. The mission is attached to this post and while it may be tedious to do this kind of testing, it is the best way we can narrow this down without adding in a bunch of random and potentially distracting variables.

crash test.miz

Just did the following ground attack mission. Was only about 10 minutes and froze. I had pickled one bomb (CCIP) was coming off the target in a lazy left hand climbing turn looking over my should checking out my handy work and freeze.

Sting

Hornet Ground Attack Training.miz

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

So it seems that when I do a air-start (with the same aircraft loadout, enemy forces, etc) at 25,000 feet, I freeze after nine minutes or so pretty reliably.

Had the same experience. Started at 25,000 ft from your mission. Stabilized flight at 25,090 flying at 196. Froze around 9 minutes in.

Did you have external fuel tanks loaded? I also had the freeze around 40mins in.

Without tanks, I got no freeze in the same testmission.

I did some testing this morning, 2 flights without loadout, and I flew 300nm without a problem. At the end of the second flight, I landed, got a loadout of fuel tanks and missiles, took off, and game crashed after 5 minutes. I used waypoints and tacan everytime so that shouldn't be the problem.

I restarted a flight with ths same loadout, and game crashed after 10 minutes.

Edit: the problem seems to be caused by fuel tanks, flying with missiles and no fuel tanks doesn't crash the game, flying with 3 fuel tanks crashes every time.

Edited by colasmulo

My game is freezing at the following points. Tested on the persian gulf, standard map setup, no weather, player aircraft only unit on map.

Air start with two fuel tanks:

12k feet after 2005 seconds mission time as viewed on the information displayed with RCtrl + Pause

13k 1651

14k 1409

15k 1240

20k 766

25k 651

40k 356

These times are repeatable down to the second if reflown at exactly the same altitude.

11k did not cause a freeze before fuel ran out at 8200 seconds.

Clean aircraft control run at the same altitudes also fails to freeze before fuel runs out.

I am also experiencing this in multiplayer, sometimes it's when the belly tank is filled up, sometimes it's when retracting the probe, the game freezes and never pick up again, it did this everytime i tried to refuel.

EDTI : No point in using the track, every track file i have when i encounter this bug, whatever the mission i'm flying on, is the same size as the mission itself, so there is no data, the log says nothing since the game only froze and the crash report tool doesn't work since once again, the game doesn't crash. I'm afraid you're going to have to test this one on your own ED.

ot-caucasus-5.182.2.3-ob-20180602-141311.trk

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did you have external fuel tanks loaded? I also had the freeze around 40mins in.

Without tanks, I got no freeze in the same testmission.

Nice just removed all the tanks of all the Hornet Flights and No freeze after 2 hour flight. I think you have found the issue!!!

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

For the OP and Piston85, do you only experience that in MP?

I have not a single hickup while doing aar in singleplayer, s3 or kc130, multiple refuels on the same flight. Not tested that in mp yet, so wondering what your conditions were...

Under wing tanks causes freezes

With under wing tanks DCS crash and freeze. No response at all. Center tank works without freeze until bingo. With under wing tanks, after a few minutes, 10-15min, DCS freezes. Only with F18. At least by me. Tested it multiple times- always with the same result...

Ah nice info. I just got 2 freezes again (deleting fxo and metashaders2 has no effect), both with 3x fueltanks. I'll try again without tanks.

It is annoying indeed...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

We cannot duplicate this. Kindly provide your crash log files.

Sry Matt, no crash file, because it freezes windows and you have to sign out with task manager. DCS makes no crash file. The system freezes. But it seems, that many people have the same issue with fuel tanks.

With under wing tanks DCS crash and freeze. No response at all. Center tank works without freeze until bingo. With under wing tanks, after a few minutes, 10-15min, DCS freezes. Only with F18. At least by me. Tested it multiple times- always with the same result...

Never happend to me, is this in SP or MP? Didn't tried the Hornet in MP yet.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Just finished doing a test where I fly without external tanks at 25,000 feet. I had no freeze at all during the flight. From the looks of things, the external tanks are indeed causing the freeze and how long it takes to freeze depends on altitude.

Sadly, this means that until it is fixed, I can't really fly realistic missions since external tanks are absolutely essential for many of its tasks. This is something that I hope can get fixed quickly as it can be called a game-breaking bug without hyperbole.