Nasty vent on Norton Products

Downloaded and installed a LEGIT version of Norton 360 from their website and shelled out 80 bucks for the transaction. (not sure if it was 80 but its close to.) Now I cant get windows update to work, and if I uninstall Norton 360 or even disable ANYTHING I cant log online at all...my wi-fi card is useless, my wireless dialup card is useless, and so is my landline DSL connection. Yet Norton insists this is a Microsoft issue.

Now I hate Microsoft for my own personal reasons but if something works prior to me installing something 5 minutes beforehand and doesnt work 5 minutes afterwards...something is up. I spent 5 godly hours on the phone with my ISP trying to figure out wtf was going on. Norton's first blow was that my ISP was running on an outdated Apache 2.0 server. My ISP confirmed that not only am I not on an Apache 2.0 server but theres no reason for me not to be able to update, and that EVERYONE ELSE has been able to use their windows upate, including their tech support.

I haven't contacted Microsoft about this as I need to do so shortly just to figure out wtf is going on with winupdate and how to resolve this, but as soon as I uninstall Norton and get my money back, it looks like I will be responsible for any damages incurred on my o/s. This blows. This blows chunks like Boy George on a cocaine bender. One thing is for damn sure, I am not sticking with this BS as Ive had enough of it to last me a lifetime here in the last 2-3 weeks.

Ps. If anyone has an idea why I cant use my windows update give me a PM. Im stuck till this is cleared. God forbid I get any updates for my mp3 player or whatever.

Hitman, the problem could be a couple things. First off you better not be useing two anti virus or firewalls at the same time.

Second, these new bloat ware like this and internet security is not something a power user gamer uses. I suspect a comflict with VISTA. I hope you have system recovery monitoring the c drive.

"If anyone has an idea why I cant use my windows update give me a PM"

Well if you have automatic updates on , thats ok but here is the trick. It wont automatic install windows validation. You have to go to the microsoft website , click updates and go through the procedure manually to get the windows validation thing installed. Then reboot, After that you should be updateing no problem.

Now before you try a OS recovery do this. Delete the symantec stuff in Safemode. Run system file checker http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Run the command this will unscrew up windows files. Will not do anyharm.

Now see if you can restore your comp to a day or time prior to the time you installed the symantec software if things still are not working right.

The firewall Norton is useing was the old Sygate firewall, they bought them out a few years ago. I still use sygate firewall pro and norton antivirus 2003. Your problems are obviously software related. Since the product is new and VISTA is new you took a real chance here. I wouldnt do that again if I were you. I work at an office systems dealer and its a road to hell living on the bleeding edge of software .

good luck

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

Well its not like I took a chance here, its something that I needed desperately. Now I did know that Vista is very new and Norton 360 was new too, but then again everything is new to vista. Ive tried just about everything short of system restore on this computer to no particular avail. Right now my internet connection is dependant on Norton until I can figure out what, exactly the problem is. I do have Norton SystemWorks 2005 but there are mad amounts of conflicts and issues with it and Vista. 2006 version is flippin' horrible, not to mention anything about compatibility issues...I did need a bundled package to clean and unclutter my hard drive as finding the temporary folders is a cast iron biatch, and if you do manage to find them its even harder to delete the files as you need this authority and that authority then you need to make sure nothings using it, all the while having to not only confirm deleting but has to ask your request to confirm your request to delete it...and ultimately doesnt delete it because it doesnt like all of your yes answers.

Ask any computer tech what they think about noton system works. It causes more problems and is a POS. Man if I were you id load in xp and keep system works out of it. Your internet dependant on Norton? What your describing is a mess. System works can ruin an OS too.Seriously a computer tech will laugh at a machine that has system works on it and might not spend too much time trying to fix it before wipeing it and starting over. Thats the way it is.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

Well...Im doing exactly that tomorrow morning. Uninstalling Norton caused (and I CAN prove this) my network cards to fail to connect, disrupted my dvd-rw, and basically caused me to reinstall all of my hardware. Here is a list of what I did.

1. Uninstalled all game apps, including LO-FC w/starforce (starforce is better than norton) :)

2. Uninstalled Yahoo toolbars and eccentric programs

3. Uninstalled Norton 360.

Tomorrow I am wasting approx. 200 bones for Xp Pro. Its sad that its come down to this as I do love Vista...the increase in game performance was very significant, but damn...be nice to sync my cell and mp3 player to this 1500$ laptop. Definately returning the key for Norton and getting my money back. Ill stick to freewares this time, fuggin' Norton.

Ask any computer tech what they think about noton system works. It causes more problems and is a POS. Man if I were you id load in xp and keep system works out of it. Your internet dependant on Norton? What your describing is a mess. System works can ruin an OS too.Seriously a computer tech will laugh at a machine that has system works on it and might not spend too much time trying to fix it before wipeing it and starting over. Thats the way it is.

Have to agree. You stay away from Norton and McFee products like the plague. You never should use a Suite they are resource hogs all interconnected with each other. Stay with single applications. Research and take a look at the new kids on the block, but still stay away from Suites from anyone. WebRoot Products, Panda, Kerspaskey are all rated high. People think that Norton and Mcfee are the ones to buy and that is the first big mistake, they are the worst, as my friend in the quote above has said, techs just laugh if you put these systems softwares on your OS. Norton has been a real notourious Piece of s--t for a number of years. Don't read the advertising stuff in Computer Mags, do some real internet searches for what you require and you will find some very pleasant surprises out there. Even a couple of freebies make the honor roles. Sorry for your problems Hitman, you have certainly had your share lately. Chin up , it will get sorted out soon. Vista will be a pain for a while but your other stuff that you need should start falling into line soon. Cheers.

I'm still on legacy Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5 :)

If someone finds anything better, low on resources and fast (low pings), lemme know.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Actually I had McAfee for several years and just recently Installed Norton on my new system... Well McAfee was getting to be harder to deal with and was taking renewals right out of my bank account without asking ...

As far as Norton was concerned they seemed to be a little better then McAfee but still weren't where they should be for the price they were asking..

So they both had to go, and I've since installed Stop Sign which has been doing a much better job then the anything I've used so far...

But speaking about Vista isn't the MS software that came with the O/S any good ??

And its free as well??

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Its good but all it is is just spyware removal. Think of it as a microsoft tool that you download from windows update that deletes malicious software when the threat is detected. Its ok, but I dont even feel secure with it.

If someone finds anything better, low on resources and fast (low pings), lemme know.

Its a crying shame symantec bought out Sygate. NIS now has the best firewall in it but they totally botched the intergration. With large companies screwing up and taking the market share away. I dont know when will see another firewall program on the level Sygate was.

Whats even worse most people do not realize they really need to study how a firewall works if they want security, its mandatory now. The Sygate forum is still operational and you can still install and update it to the latest signature BTW.

Antivirus? Im about to start using NOD32 Antivirus System , its becoming the choice AV program with one drawback. Its very technical to someone who doesnt know whats going on.

Ok. Heres the new story development:

I called Symantec and demanded my refund. The Indian guy behind the phone asks me why I want to refund it, I flat out told him its junk and I had to reinstall a brand new o/s because of this. So he tells me to destroy the download, which I did and expect to get my refund back within 7 business days.

I contacted my isp provider and they were so overwhelmed with joy that they rebated me an extra 60 bucks off my next month bill...dont ask why, I was having some nasty internet connectivity issues with this. Seems like now its just this anti-phishing filter thats on IE7 ATM. Sooo...I used all this money I recouped and purchased (suck it up, it comes with professional help by contract) Vista Ultimate for 150 dollars, with a free upgrade to 64bit anytime I feel the need to update. A somewhat happy ending for the crap I just went through...

I wouldnt have had the need to install ultimate had norton not destroyed or rerouted all my proxies. I couldnt get windows to update after I installed norton, so I got my refund of 79.99 back today. As far as the trash goes, my laptop is kind of trash but its like one of them 52" big screen tvs that have a rgb bulb out and its in the trash. Little fix up and shes brand new...not that Im sayin my laptop is old, lol...

I have the Vista 64 Bit RC1 on a spare HDD for testing purposes and I use Avast! I always shyed away from free AV software and used Norton but realised what a resource hog it was and how inept it was at catching viruses so I tried Avast! and was surprised how well it worked out for me. My girlfriends PC was infected with a virus that Norton missed, Avast picked it up straight away upon install. IIRC in a review I read comparing AV software Avast and a few other free AV progs update themselves far more frequently than McAfee or Norton.

Ok. Heres the new story development:

I called Symantec and demanded my refund. The Indian guy behind the phone asks me why I want to refund it, I flat out told him its junk and I had to reinstall a brand new o/s because of this. So he tells me to destroy the download, which I did and expect to get my refund back within 7 business days.

I contacted my isp provider and they were so overwhelmed with joy that they rebated me an extra 60 bucks off my next month bill...dont ask why, I was having some nasty internet connectivity issues with this. Seems like now its just this anti-phishing filter thats on IE7 ATM. Sooo...I used all this money I recouped and purchased (suck it up, it comes with professional help by contract) Vista Ultimate for 150 dollars, with a free upgrade to 64bit anytime I feel the need to update. A somewhat happy ending for the crap I just went through...

Awesome Bro.. Now I'm really interested.. So where did you get the Ultimate upgrade with a 64 bit option for 150.00 USD?

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Awesome Bro.. Now I'm really interested.. So where did you get the Ultimate upgrade with a 64 bit option for 150.00 USD?

Check post on your previous thread. If need be, give me a pm and Ill show you the easy way. I ordered the 32 bit and 64 bit upgrade disks through Acer. I can uh...help...out. As far as I know, these cds are legal to copy, just as long as you purchase the upgrade online to activate. You need to purchase the activation before installation though.

Speaking of which...how does vista 64 run??Im thinkin of switching over but I need to find all sorts of drivers that are compatible with this laptop...

Not done a lot of gaming so far, been testing a few things on it. As its Vista RC1 I'll probably wait until I have the rig running with all the drivers I need and be sure its running well before springing for the retail release of Vista Ultimate 64 Bit. Driver support has improved a great deal though in a few short months and if you have a 64 bit CPU why not use a 64 Bit OS. There are only a few games taking advantage of it now but 64 Bit will become the standard just as 32 Bit computing did before it.

Well Im expecting the x64 disk in the mail here shortly but regarding how hard it was to find all of my old drivers was a cast iron biatch and be damned if I spend more than 8 hours again looking for all of them. I heard of smoother gameplay under a 64bit o/s under notebookforums.com or whatever, but the biggest gripe so far (goes with xp64) was the lack of drivers.

It might be easier to get 64bit drivers for Vista... I think much of the hold up with 64 bit on XP was most of the manufacturers were waiting for the release of Vista.. At least that's what the scuttlebutt was on most of the hardware that I own...

And I just stands to reason ...

As far as My Vista upgrades I want to say thank you for insights as well as giving me some ideas on how to solve this problem...

So today I received an e-mail from Microsoft that they were going to check out my documentation and would contact me some time during this week ...

Anyway I sent out more documentation yesterday by mail again..

So I'm gong to see just what they do next before I give your suggestions a shot ..

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

maybe jetico firewall ....

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

Norton has been a no-no for long time now .... (and mcafee has been one for even longer, but at least it hasnt been messing (with) the inner works of windows)

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64