INS ATT

Borderline

I also had this even though my INS was aligned. I think its related to the ATT switch below the UFC. Its right next to the ALT switch where you can change from barometric alt to radar alt. I think the ATT switch needs to be on AUTO. Have seen some tutorial where someone used this switch during startup so I thought it might be good, but I actually dont really know what it does. I just wondered about the INS ATT message and figured out that it was related to this switch....

I've also experienced that after cold starts. After alignment done and finishing the last checklist steps: switching attitude source to stanby and i got ins-att. Switching back to auto and it was gone. No impact on flight/nav...

Anybody else?

I may miss something important there but I really can't think of what it could be... as alignment completed and rotary set to nav.

I've also experienced that after cold starts. After alignment done and finishing the last checklist steps: switching attitude source to stanby and i got ins-att. Switching back to auto and it was gone. No impact on flight/nav...

Anybody else?

I may miss something important there but I really can't think of what it could be... as alignment completed and rotary set to nav.

That is correct. I think the dcs manual had a mistake there. During startup you set the altitude source to stby to check if the Hud switches and shows the stby sources (not implemented yet). Someone told me the dcs manual missed the step to set it back to auto.

I also had this even though my INS was aligned. I think its related to the ATT switch below the UFC. Its right next to the ALT switch where you can change from barometric alt to radar alt. I think the ATT switch needs to be on AUTO. Have seen some tutorial where someone used this switch during startup so I thought it might be good, but I actually dont really know what it does. I just wondered about the INS ATT message and figured out that it was related to this switch....

Thanks I will try.

1. How does INS/nav differ from INS/gnd? I think gnd is how it gets its data to make nav operational
  2. When in INS/gnd I just see GRND QUAL:99.9 and a blinking timer below it on the HSI. I see nothing when it's in INS/nav.
  3. I only do auto start or missions with the plane already running. Does this mean that INS will be running or do I actually have to do the INS start up? I am able to always fly the waypoints accurately.
  4. Is GPS/INS update implemented?
  5. In the M2000 INS alignment required input of your ground co-ordinates. In the F18 is there anything to do or does it auto align and you just have to sit and wait?

Edited by fitness88

Lots of reading from the NATOPS.

24.2.3.1.2 INS CV Alignment (RF OR CBL) (SINS Procedures). The alignment procedures using

SINS by RF or CBL input are the same. If the cable is not hooked up by the ground crew, then RF is

used. For either RF or CBL alignments, the aircrafts INS automatically compensates for the difference

between the aircraft deck position and the SINS position. Waypoint align data is not required for an

RF or CBL carrier alignment since it is supplied by SINS.

• If the INS shuts down abnormally (power loss), set the INS mode

selector knob to OFF for a minimum of 3 minutes (AN/ASN-130A).

The AN/ASN-139 and EGI requires 5 seconds OFF time.

• If the INS mode selector knob is turned OFF in less than 40 seconds

after selecting CV, the system must be left off for a minimum of 3

minutes (AN/ASN-130A). The AN/ASN-139 requires 5 seconds OFF

time.

1. Parking brake - SET

2. ATT select switch - AUTO or INS

3. INS mode selector knob - CV

NO ATT appears on the HI/MPCD during the first 1 to 2 minutes of alignment and then is removed.

CV RF or CV CBL, QUAL:, TIME:, and WYPTS are displayed on the HI/MPCD. The RF or CBL

symbol flashes until the SINS data is tested for validity, then the QUAL digits start counting down and

the TIME digits start counting up. If the alignment is interrupted for any reason, the TIME digits stop

counting up and flash. After 20 seconds NO is displayed to the left of the word WYPTS if waypoints

have not been received. When the INS alignment is completed, the word OK is displayed after the

QUAL number. Time to align is normally less than 10 minutes. On aircraft 161925 AND UP, D/L align

frequency is automatically displayed on the UFC scratchpad for 30 seconds after selecting CV align.

After alignment is complete -

4. INS mode selector knob - NAV (without GPS)/NAV or IFA (with GPS)

24.2.3.1.3 CV MAN (Manual) Alignment. A CV manual alignment is performed if the data link

signal is not available or not desired by entering CV data via the UFC. Manual carrier alignment takes

approximately 15 minutes.

NOTE

In aircraft equipped with GPS, GPS alignment may be performed in

lieu of a manual alignment.

To perform a CV manual alignment, the parking brake must be set and the INS mode selector knob

must be switched to CV. When this is done the INS and data link are turned on, and the CV align

display appears on the HI/MPCD and UFC. Now select the MAN option to enable the manual align

A1-F18AC-NFM-000

ORIGINAL VII-24-14

• 3 years later...

Is there a way to fix the INS ATT? I can’t quite figure what causes it and cycling the INS on and off doesn’t work. Maybe I’m too quick on releasing the parking brake once the alignment is complete or something. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

14 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Is there a way to fix the INS ATT? I can’t quite figure what causes it and cycling the INS on and off doesn’t work. Maybe I’m too quick on releasing the parking brake once the alignment is complete or something. 

Yup, that was it for me.  I thought it was random when I got that issue but realized that at some point I was releasing the parking brake early thinking the wheel chocks would keep me in place.  I had no idea the PB was necessary for alignment.  I now wait until after alignment to release PB and haven't had an issue since.

Dirty

• Like 1