IFF?

maquez

how do I enable and use the IFF?

there is no description in the manual on how to use it neither on how to enable it.

most important question how do you differ friend from foe, visual xD ?

i9 11900K, ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming, ROG STRIX RTX 3060 TI, G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz, Thrustmaster T1600 Flight Pack, TrackIR 5

Hardware Benchmark

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F-86F, F/A-18C, FC3, JF-17, Ka-50, M-2000C, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, SA342, UH-1H, Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Combined Arms

Steam Profile, Twitch, Youtube

guess there will be a lot of team kills on any PVP servers with labels not enabled :megalol:

i9 11900K, ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming, ROG STRIX RTX 3060 TI, G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz, Thrustmaster T1600 Flight Pack, TrackIR 5

Hardware Benchmark

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F-86F, F/A-18C, FC3, JF-17, Ka-50, M-2000C, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, SA342, UH-1H, Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Combined Arms

Steam Profile, Twitch, Youtube

Basic IFF is a high priority.

I was just saying on a server today, even if you guys implement a half a$$ IFF until the proper system is ready to go.

IFF is a must, it's really too bad some half-baked version wasn't released with EA.

... it's really too bad some half-baked version wasn't released with EA.

ED has slowed down a lot on half-baked version functionalities. If they see an opportunity to implement a feature realistically, they're going for it. Hats off to them.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

IFF is a must

this is a sort of attitude that really irks me.

better tools are better, but success starts with an attitude of being able to make the best out of anything you have. there are a lot of tools already at our disposal to deal with a lack of iff.

if you choose not to take advantage of them the problem is yours and yours alone.

if you choose not to take advantage of them the problem is yours and yours alone.

Unfortunately that's untrue in PvP multiplayer.

Calling out raygun works great but only as long as everyone is on comms. And that never happens.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

this is a sort of attitude that really irks me.

better tools are better, but success starts with an attitude of being able to make the best out of anything you have. there are a lot of tools already at our disposal to deal with a lack of iff.

Great except it would be more fun if we could just have IFF. We can't declare with AWACS atm either so unless you expect everyone on multiplayer to be on comms or you expect every server to not have aircraft available on each side. IFF is a must.

Great except it would be more fun if we could just have IFF. We can't declare with AWACS atm either so unless you expect everyone on multiplayer to be on comms or you expect every server to not have aircraft available on each side. IFF is a must.

Even on a server where everyone IS on comms (like the Dynamic Caucasus server) - it's very annoying to have blind and clueless F/A-18Cs raygunning everything they can see trying to find the enemy. The other aspect is that the RWR is currently giving off false-positives - it's saying you're locked when a radar is locking someone in your general area, so raygun-buddy doesn't work so well.

The F/A-18C is a bit of a liability/sitting duck right now in PVP, and most of the serious CAP fighters have gone back to other modules while they wait for improvements. It's been a turkey shoot - Hornet drivers fly straight into the AO, not aware of what's around them and then don't fire when they should because they're not sure what they're firing at. Those doing best are the ones that leave the radar off and just fly it like an F5 with more missiles.

The other aspect is that the RWR is currently giving off false-positives

I would say that's probably fairly realistic, so I wouldn't really expect that to change...could also be completely wrong. The RWR is only going to know how the radar is behaving that's pointed in it's direction, it doesn't know exactly who it's pointed at.

It will be interesting to see how the playing field gets leveled going forward. If the system fidelity is going to be high with the F/A-18s, there's going to probably be a pretty distinct advantage to those that are flying your more basic FC airframes due to the fact that they will have a little better SA in the fog of war unless they adopt the same limitations as your newer aircraft that are getting a more realistic sensor package.

Basic IFF is a high priority.

"Basic IFF"? So far all modules that have IFF only have a basic IFF functionality. Does that mean the Hornet will be the first module to recieve advanced IFF functionality later?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I would say that's probably fairly realistic, so I wouldn't really expect that to change...could also be completely wrong. The RWR is only going to know how the radar is behaving that's pointed in it's direction, it doesn't know exactly who it's pointed at.

It will be interesting to see how the playing field gets leveled going forward. If the system fidelity is going to be high with the F/A-18s, there's going to probably be a pretty distinct advantage to those that are flying your more basic FC airframes due to the fact that they will have a little better SA in the fog of war unless they adopt the same limitations as your newer aircraft that are getting a more realistic sensor package.

Yeah it's difficult to know if it's intended or not - as a complete layman, it *feels* like the STT beam is way too wide if it's triggering as many 'buddy' calls as it is (it's not like these people are flying in formation). I would have thought the beam would have to be fairly narrow so that the missile tracks the right target. We probably need Beamscanner to make an appearance here and set us straight.

And I agree - I was hoping the F/A-18C would be able to take over from the Mirage as my workhorse A2A fighter, but right now the difference in SA is night and day. Even if it does get IFF, the radar is significantly worse (in terms of picking up targets, not talking about realism) than that in the Mirage. Flicking between the F/A-18C and the Mirage in PVP is like gaining the gift of sight.

Even on a server where everyone IS on comms (like the Dynamic Caucasus server) - it's very annoying to have blind and clueless F/A-18Cs raygunning everything they can see trying to find the enemy. The other aspect is that the RWR is currently giving off false-positives - it's saying you're locked when a radar is locking someone in your general area, so raygun-buddy doesn't work so well.

The F/A-18C is a bit of a liability/sitting duck right now in PVP, and most of the serious CAP fighters have gone back to other modules while they wait for improvements. It's been a turkey shoot - Hornet drivers fly straight into the AO, not aware of what's around them and then don't fire when they should because they're not sure what they're firing at. Those doing best are the ones that leave the radar off and just fly it like an F5 with more missiles.

Well said, completly agree with this

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

as they said so

Where? Seems like I missed something.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

And I agree - I was hoping the F/A-18C would be able to take over from the Mirage as my workhorse A2A fighter, but right now the difference in SA is night and day. Even if it does get IFF, the radar is significantly worse (in terms of picking up targets, not talking about realism) than that in the Mirage. Flicking between the F/A-18C and the Mirage in PVP is like gaining the gift of sight.

I was hoping for the same. I feel the F15 radar already has quite an advantage over the mirage one. Isn't the F/A 18 radar better than the mirage IRL?

I wanted to buy the 18 as single aircraft able to do almost everything, but if A2A is worse than mirage.... unsure now

Isn't the F/A 18 radar better than the mirage IRL?

Not necessarily in pure head-on range, but APG-73 brings things like TWS or MFR (better resistance to “beaming” target).

Yet it’s early access, so don’t jump to fast on definitive conclusion.

The radar may get improved in DCS, eventually you will get IFF interrogator + L16 and you will see the light again.

But guys, if early access isn’t your thing, just wait for a more mature module...early access birds are not the best to shine on massive MP servers !

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Yeah it's difficult to know if it's intended or not - as a complete layman, it *feels* like the STT beam is way too wide if it's triggering as many 'buddy' calls as it is (it's not like these people are flying in formation). I would have thought the beam would have to be fairly narrow so that the missile tracks the right target. We probably need Beamscanner to make an appearance here and set us straight.

Typically for that generation of fighter the radar beam is around 3 degrees wide.

So at 20Nm it’s 1Nm wide :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

And so the Early access complaints start, citing "lack of functionality" as the cause why a module, in their eyes, is unusable.

The list of features was available to all. If you are going to spend 60 dollars on a module and not read what is in or out of the EA release, and then complain that it is not available, when it has been listed for months, and suggest it's the developers faults...then there is no hope for you guys in this lifetime.

Go practice carrier landings, or something the module does right now, whilst the EA functionality list is being added to by ED. Same thing happened with the Mirage in EA and the same complaints about PvP.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

And so the Early access complaints start, citing "lack of functionality" as the cause why a module, in their eyes, is unusable.

The list of features was available to all. If you are going to spend 60 dollars on a module and not read what is in or out of the EA release, and then complain that it is not available, when it has been listed for months, and suggest it's the developers faults...then there is no hope for you guys in this lifetime.

Go practice carrier landings, or something the module does right now, whilst the EA functionality list is being added to by ED. Same thing happened with the Mirage in EA and the same complaints about PvP.

I don't think anyone is complaining, just being frank about the current state. You're also not being fair - IFF wasn't mentioned as being either in or out of EA, we only found out it wasn't coming from Crash Laobi the day before release.

Based on just a reading of the EA features, the F/A-18C sounded like a good basic fighter like the Mirage - AIM-7s, AIM-9s and basic radar modes - but it turns out it's not quite there yet. I'm waiting till the features get added/improved before taking it out in PVP again as an A2A fighter (after a fairly frustrating first few days trying) - that doesn't mean it's unusable in other roles/activities or that people are angry.

From my end it was intended as a complaint about the community, less about ed. Almost all PvP servers have a fair amount of 18's and the necessity to perform a secondary iff via comms, gci or visually makes the whole experience somewhat difficult. At least if you are used to working iff in fc or m2k

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk