DCS-BIOS F/A-18C library. Get it here!

Hi DeadMeat,

I'm having an issue with the buttons for the Flight Control Interface Panel, I was wondering if you could help?

Looking in the devices.lau file it's (DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts) it's ID 2.

devices["CONTROL_INTERFACE"] = counter()--2

Looking in the FA-18C_hornet.lau file (\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\DCS-BIOS\lib)

defineToggleSwitch("FCS_RESET_BTN", 2, 3003, 349, "Flight Control System Panel", "FCS RESET Button")

The device ID's look okay yet none of the buttons work. RUD_TRIM assigned to a rotary does work.

I'm calling

DcsBios::Switch2Pos fcsResetButton("FCS_RESET_BUTTON", PIN);

I see the DCSBIOS messages,

< 2018/09/06 21:07:47.503926 length=19 from=27104 to=27122

FCS_RESET_BUTTON 1

< 2018/09/06 21:07:47.613633 length=19 from=27123 to=27141

FCS_RESET_BUTTON 0

< 2018/09/06 21:07:47.963708 length=19 from=27142 to=27160

FCS_RESET_BUTTON 1

< 2018/09/06 21:07:48.083893 length=19 from=27161 to=27179

FCS_RESET_BUTTON 0

Yet the sim button doesn't respond.

Thanks.

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also can't get any of the intercomm controls to work. The device ID's were incorrect (41, changed them to 40.) But still can't get them to work. I've confirmed all parameters are correct. I must be missing something.

e.g.

...\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\DCS-BIOS\lib\

FA-18C_hornet.lau:

definePotentiometer("COM_RWR", 40, 3004, 359, {0, 1}, "Communication Panel", "RWR Volume Control Knob")

...\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\

devices.lau:

devices["INTERCOM"] = counter()--40 -- Intercommunication Amplifier-Control - AM-7360/A

command_defs.lua:

-- intercom

count = start_command

intercom_commands =

{

CommSw = counter(); -- 3001

VOX_Volume = counter(); -- 3002

ICS_Volume = counter(); -- 3003

RWR_Volume = counter(); -- 3004

WPN_Volume = counter();

clickabledata.lau:

elements["pnt_359"] = default_axis_limited(_("RWR Volume Control Knob"), devices.INTERCOM, intercom_commands.RWR_Volume, 359, 0.0, 0.1, false, false, {0,1})

Thanks

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

Hi John,

I fear that I may have complicated matters by suggesting you guys edit the module since we're now no longer working on the same file. If AndrewW updates his original upload it would make sense to revert to that to make troubleshooting easier.

Anyways, I've just tried the FCS reset and the T/O trim and they worked fine for me with no edits, so I'm not sure what's wrong on your end here.

I then tried the comm panel and it didn't work at first but after updating the device IDs to 40, they worked fine. Tested the IFF and ILS toggles and the RWR volume pot with no issue.

I can think of a few things that could have gone wrong for you

• You may have broken something in the module during your edits - re download and edit one thing at a time and verify it works
  • You may be copying commands with wrong addresses if the documentation is not updated after edits (try to delete the JSON files and then start a mission and refresh the command reference)
  • There's an issue with your switches or wiring - confirm they work with other functions you know work in the sim

Thanks DeadMeat you helped me once again, I do appreciate it! You were correct, my documentation was out of date.

cheers

John

Hi John,

I fear that I may have complicated matters by suggesting you guys edit the module since we're now no longer working on the same file. If AndrewW updates his original upload it would make sense to revert to that to make troubleshooting easier.

Anyways, I've just tried the FCS reset and the T/O trim and they worked fine for me with no edits, so I'm not sure what's wrong on your end here.

I then tried the comm panel and it didn't work at first but after updating the device IDs to 40, they worked fine. Tested the IFF and ILS toggles and the RWR volume pot with no issue.

I can think of a few things that could have gone wrong for you

• You may have broken something in the module during your edits - re download and edit one thing at a time and verify it works
  • You may be copying commands with wrong addresses if the documentation is not updated after edits (try to delete the JSON files and then start a mission and refresh the command reference)
  • There's an issue with your switches or wiring - confirm they work with other functions you know work in the sim

Has anyone looked into exporting the inflight idle and AB retractable detent positions? I'm trying to add these features to my throttle (diy).

I had thought about using other data, such as the rad alt in combination with other info to extrapolate the needed info to roughly simulate the retractable detents, but then I discovered in the NATOPs that the inflight idle detent may retract during high G maneuvers allowing the throttle to be moved to the ground idle position, so a direct export would be more ideal, if possible.

Thanks for any help!

While everyone else has been flying it, I have spent the last couple of days building a library for the F/A18C for DCS-BIOS, in the hopes of one day getting my pit built.

Until I can get in contact with Ian to get it rolled into an official build of DCS-BIOS, I've attached the files for anyone who wants to try it out.

Simply extract the zip file into your Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\DCS-BIOS folder overwriting when asked.

The only things that I am aware are missing at the moment (due to limitations in the hornet module which I am sure will be fixed as development progresses):

1. An input for static source switch (switch does not appear to be currently implemented in the cockpit)

2. An input for fan test switch (switch does not appear to be currently implemented in the cockpit)

3. An export for the top fuel total line when the IFEI is in time set mode

4. An export for the engine nozzle positions on the IFEI

Final disclaimer: This is a beta module, things will change and this will likely break this library. I will try and keep on top of updating it as the Hornet gets updated.

All I ask is that if you find something that doesn't work, please let me know. Even better, if you figure out how to fix it let me know that as well so I can roll it into the final version.

edit 7th June - I have completed the initial version, please let me know if you find anything that doesn't work as expected. This has been tested with the latest 2.5.2.18307 build.

note 13th June - I have discovered that I forgot to include updated json files in the latest package. No problem, they will auto-generate with every flight, so just go fly a mission. Will include updated files in next version.

Hi Andrew,

I download the DCS-BIOS.zip file and extracted it to the the required location (Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\DCS-BIOS), Then i opened the DCS Flight panels.exe utility to config my PZ55 and PZ270 but the F/A-18C module didn't appear in the list.

I followed the instructions , and choose instant action for F/A-18C (there is no any single mission for F/A-18C ) to allow the control reference to auto-generate , and and then I exit from the DCS application. Then I opened the DCS Flight Pannel.exe utility again, but again F/A-18C isn't doesn't in the list.

What i did wrong?

Aviram_AD

hi

i do all steps but the dcs doesnt connect to dcs bios referance nothing work in dcs bios referance on live data

some error on extension

"Unchecked runtime.lastError while running sockets.tcp.connect: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Uncaught -102

how can i fix it

thanks

After a long hiatus due to personal and work committments I've finally been able to update this to the latest version. Just upload v0.6 which support DCS Beta 2.5.3.22176

Will continue to update as required.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

And sorry guys but I don't have time to answer off topic questions. Happy to help with questions on the F18 DCS-Bios implementation, but no other modules or DCS-BIOS basics, there are specific threads for those things.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Update looks good. A small nitpick - looks like you missed the LTexture and RTexture outputs for the IFEI (the small L and R that show up next to fuel quantities in QTY sub modes). Something to consider for your next update..

Hey AndrewW,

were you able to extract the RPM values to a single variable? I kind of need the RPM values for the SimShaker software to play the engine rumble effect...

Ceers

HEy Guys, did the last DCS World update broke dcs bios?

If not then i shouldnt had upgraded to dcsbios 0.6 just before that.

Cheers

Evilfisher

I deleted and the I resintalled DCS Bios, took the file from the homepage/github and installed it like the tutorials says. then i downloaded the v0.6 DCS Bios from this thread and copied/extracted it into the saved games /dcs/scripts/dcsbios

That would mean that i have got a new Hornet lua with no editing at all.

When i do start the batch files com3 com5 where my arduinos are connected to i see the code spitting out a response if i flick the switches ie:

Gear_Lever 1

Gear_Lever 0

But ingame nothing happens i checked the export files, theyre fine as simple radio and simshaker working as expected.

Does anyone experience the same thing?

Cheers Evilfisher

Really ?no one here can report if dcs bios is still working?

It works fine for me in stable release 2.5.3.22176. Are you in the Open Beta?

If you're seeing the commands over the com port but nothing happens in DCS, probably they've changed the IDs around in the modules again. You can see earlier in this thread the same thing happened before. Consider downgrading your install to latest stable until Andrew takes a look...

Update looks good. A small nitpick - looks like you missed the LTexture and RTexture outputs for the IFEI (the small L and R that show up next to fuel quantities in QTY sub modes). Something to consider for your next update..

Thanks mate, will have a look when I get the chance.

Really ?no one here can report if dcs bios is still working?

Sorry, real life and all that.

I've checked and there are no device changes between 2.5.3.22176 and 2.5.3.22652 so there shouldn't be a need to update the dcs-bios library.

I went and did a quick test and it was working fine for me with the latest beta, so there must be some sort of issue in your setup.

Maybe someone can point me towards the right direction.

I have reinstalled dcs Bios. checked the export settings,added firewall and antivirus exceptions for dcs,socat, and the residing folders. still getting the CWD Fast pointer error.

I am unable to see the stream of data as it had done before.

Greetings from switzerland

:helpsmilie:

ps: in the Saved games/ logs folder the dcs-bios log is empty at 0kb

1583086959_errordcsbios.PNG.4929689bacc95967f14c66ed8cebf8cf.PNG

Update:

Reinstalled DCS bios again, installed the fa18 dcs bios from the first thread page here; but didnt updated it to the v6 edition, stream is back online

and the led seems to be working on the caution panel but the buttons arent responding

Cheers Evilfisher

still getting the CWD Fast pointer error.

I think this is a known issue .. it happens to me as well.

To take the F18 out of the equation, do you have A10C and have you tried that to see if it is working?

Update:

stream is back online

and the led seems to be working on the caution panel but the buttons arent responding

It is possible that it is a problem with your arduino code or the way you have the switches hooked up.

I'd suggest trying interactive control reference mode and that will take your physical hardware out of the loop completely:

EDIT 2: Sorry Guys, didn't see there was a 1 Oct Update.

So I was having problems with my switches last night. This afternoon, I was fiddling around and saw that there was a 1 Oct update for the Hornet DCS BIOS.

I updated my machine and now no switches work at all.

I removed DCS BIOS from my machine and started with a fresh copy. Then put back the latest Hornet code, 0.6. Checked my sketches and only had to make a change to the ejection handle switch.

Uploaded to my Uno and Mega, ran DCS and still no luck. Switches do not work in game and if I check the serial connector, there is no code coming in from DCS.

Not sure what I could have missed.

The only difference is I have been trying to setup my TM Warthog since the weekend. I did think it might be because I changed some of the key mappings in DCS so set that back to default.

Any ideas what I could look at?

EDIT 3: Just reinstalled all of DCS BIOS again and went right back to basics. Setup the Master Caution Reset in the A-10C and tested and it works fine. Same switch box I was using with the Hornet.

Edit 4: So I found an older version of the Hornet script and loaded it up. My switch box works again in DCS but back to the original problem I was trying to solve where certain switches don't toggle correctly. For instance, the fuel dump switch, have to flick it up to dump, then to stop dumping must flick it down then back up, like it is a push button.

Edited by TechRoss