New nVidia User - What Settings in Control Panel for DCS?

imacken

OK guys, so I changed my PC, and for the first time since using DCS I am now using a nVidia GPU.

I have read somewhere that it is recommended to use FXAA in nVidia Control Panel rather than the MSAA in DCS. Is this correct? Bear i mind I am almost exclusively using VR.

Are there other nVidia specific settings I should be aware of?

Any help appreciated.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks for that. However, it's not a very helpful reply!

I would like to know from others which are useful settings in nVidia CP.

I know that FXAA has been mentioned several times. I'm sure there must be other little tips. Doesn't have to be VR related.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I've tried playing around with settings in Nvidia control panel and so far haven't noticed a difference. I just reset mine back to defaults and pressed on.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

2D screen user here. NVidia is simple - "thanks" to the deferred shading, most of NV panel settings don't work anywhere, either in 2D or in VR, so it doesn't matter how you set them :D. I keep them on high quality side for other games.

However, energy management on "max performance", as aforementioned above, is always a good thing.

FXAA is a post-processing AA method, so this one actually works, with negligible impact on performance, but also mediocre image quality (shimmering!). In-game MSAA offers superior quality... but at a price of superior drop in fps and/or introduction of microstutters. It's up to you what your "lesser evil" is, though with such a hefty config, you can probably tune in more eyecandy than mere mortals.

V-sync - subjective as well. Keep in mind that to make it work, you have to Alt-Enter often to switch DCS to proper fullscreen mode (though I'd hazard a guess you had to do it on AMD as well?).

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

When you say FXAA has mediocre image quality with shimmering, what is the point of it then?

I’m sure I’ve read threads here saying that MSAA is incompatible with DS, and that FXAA is superior and should be used in preference.

The point of it is to have any AA without fps loss and increase of microstuttering (so in-game AA options are thrown out of window for me, though they might be OK for you on the basis of simple brutal strength of more powerful gfx card).

With no AA we've got eye-gouging jaggies plus shimmering, with FXAA we've got much less jaggies plus shimmering at almost the same fps. So it's an improvement, a small one, but improvement nevertheless. Crappy AA is still better than no AA.

No idea how it applies to tweaking for VR usage, though, with its specific options and settings. Nvidia users at VR section of the forum will certainly offer better advice.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

read this: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3513927&postcount=5

my advice leave the NVIDIA controll panell settings for DCS World 2.5.+ on default

Edited by maquez

i9 11900K, ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming, ROG STRIX RTX 3060 TI, G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz, Thrustmaster T1600 Flight Pack, TrackIR 5

Hardware Benchmark

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F-86F, F/A-18C, FC3, JF-17, Ka-50, M-2000C, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, SA342, UH-1H, Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Combined Arms

Steam Profile, Twitch, Youtube

The point of it is to have any AA without fps loss and increase of microstuttering (so in-game AA options are thrown out of window for me, though they might be OK for you on the basis of simple brutal strength of more powerful gfx card).

With no AA we've got eye-gouging jaggies plus shimmering, with FXAA we've got much less jaggies plus shimmering at almost the same fps. So it's an improvement, a small one, but improvement nevertheless. Crappy AA is still better than no AA.

No idea how it applies to tweaking for VR usage, though, with its specific options and settings. Nvidia users at VR section of the forum will certainly offer better advice.

OK, so my observation is that setting FXAA in nVidia CP makes absolutely no difference at all.

I sat in the F-5E pit in the Instant Actiion Take Off mission trying out various settings for AA.

It's a good test, as the Batumi buildings and side of runway shimmer a lot and are very jaggy.

With FXAA I noticed no difference whether set off or to x8 in the CP.

The in-game MSAA was effective and x4 looks pretty good, but at a price of fps.

I have chosen MSAA x2 as a good compromise, and am reasonably happy with the results.

OK, so my observation is that setting FXAA in nVidia CP makes absolutely no difference at all.

I sat in the F-5E pit in the Instant Actiion Take Off mission trying out various settings for AA.

It's a good test, as the Batumi buildings and side of runway shimmer a lot and are very jaggy.

With FXAA I noticed no difference whether set off or to x8 in the CP.

The in-game MSAA was effective and x4 looks pretty good, but at a price of fps.

I have chosen MSAA x2 as a good compromise, and am reasonably happy with the results.

Not sure what You did - but there is no 8 x FXAA. FXAA is a post process that can either be On or Off and not 2, 4 or 8 x.

FXAA will remove the jaggies, most noticable at the cockpit edges. But it´s not perfect, so You will have some shimmering landscape and objects.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Not sure what You did - but there is no 8 x FXAA. FXAA is a post process that can either be On or Off and not 2, 4 or 8 x.

FXAA will remove the jaggies, most noticable at the cockpit edges. But it´s not perfect, so You will have some shimmering landscape and objects.

Sorry, wasn't clear there. What I mean was that I had FXAA switched on, and AA set to x8.

I can see no difference with FSAA on or off.

Sorry, this topic has been beaten to death for many years, there are SOOOooooo many threads and videos. I’m going to get straight to the point. After reading countless threads and watching the latest YouTube videos, I am still stuck. What it comes down to for me is that if I have MSAA off, the quality is poor (Yucky) but its smooth and frame rates are consistent about 60. Adjusting MSAA x 2 or x4 I certainly get a quality picture, but its very choppy. I spent another couple of days reinstalling Process Lasso and was able to get the frame rates improved, but all was still choppy with MSAA on. Even started overclocking my GPU again, but that was of no help. Seems as though I only have 2 choices, MSAA off to get a nice smooth view but crappy graphics, or go with nice graphics and stutters? I hate to say there has to be a better way, but I have much more hours into this then any module I have it seems. This is on OpenBeta by the way.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

For performance in general I use...

Power Management Mode -> Prefer Maximum Performance

Texture Filtering -> High Performance

These as my general and next for my DCS profile I set the MSAA and AA from there (switched off in-game just in case)

At first you might not see any difference in performance or quality, but when you zoom in you will see that your graphics card utilizes its performance better.

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I did NOT see anything in the nVidia settings categorized as "Enhance"? Where is that located please? Thanks

*** This whole discussion about nVidia settings work and dont work for DCS is also adding to my confusion, although last night I fiddled again with recommended settings, none seem to have any impact?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Oh,,, so you have to use Profile Inspector to access that?

Thanks, I have used that briefly in the recent past. I was not familiar with alot of the options, thats a whole nother learning curve. Thank you sir.

Oh,,, so you have to use Profile Inspector to access that?

No. Just go to Nvidia control panel / antialiasing -mode and select "enhance the application setting"

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Thanks for the tip asparagin

• 4 months later...

In the NVidia control panel none of the sets work, except for Fxaa. Needless to waste more time.

The only solution is to get a good compromise in the internal game settings.

Ciao

Edited by Duster

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU i7 7700K@4.5ghz * COOLER ARCTIC Freezer 13 CO * MB MSI Z270 Gaming M3 * RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4-2400 DDR4 2400MHz * GPU Zotac GTX 1070Ti mini * SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB for S.O. * SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB for DCS * HDD 1TB WD Blue x2 * PSU Corsair CX650M * SO Windows 10 pro 64bit * TrackIR 5 * Saiteck x52 Pro

tip..: if you update your nvidia cards firmware, then you can in most cases get +15fps more in VR and allot more in ordinary mode.

to make the story short after i did this my self my game run more smooth, and my friends are of the same oppinion along with other forum members also have had great success updating the firmware.

tip..: when you update , then turn off your antivirus before you do it and dont touch your computer once the update is being done.

when you finish the update then turn off the power to your computer for minimum 1 minute to avoid something to get stuck in memory that in rare cases will give you a black screen when you boot your computer.

It so to speak need to clear the memory after the update to do a fresh start..

enjoy

https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html