Cannot activate DMT TV mode

Jamesp1

The DMT has always worked fine except for my last mission and I wonder if anyone knows why.

On the ground I happened to fire up the DMT in TV mode: it showed a black background and a crosshair with a square in it. Never seen that before...

Up in the air i can't activate the TV mode at all. Sensor select aft selects INS (i checked the binding is correct) and nothing else on repeated presses. my loadout is AGM-65Gs, sidearms and the DECM pod if it matters.

master arm is on and I'm in A-G mode.

I've tried turning the DMT on and off but no difference.

Any ideas? Thanks

When this happens to me it is because I have the TV ground locked and I believe the INS indications is saying the TV target is out of view range. Unless i actually have a target locked, I got in the habit of hitting the target undesignate button first and then the Select TV.

slyfly

The DMT has always worked fine except for my last mission and I wonder if anyone knows why.

On the ground I happened to fire up the DMT in TV mode: it showed a black background and a crosshair with a square in it. Never seen that before...

Up in the air i can't activate the TV mode at all. Sensor select aft selects INS (i checked the binding is correct) and nothing else on repeated presses. my loadout is AGM-65Gs, sidearms and the DECM pod if it matters.

master arm is on and I'm in A-G mode.

I've tried turning the DMT on and off but no difference.

Any ideas? Thanks

Please attach a track file so we can check.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old, but I learned that if the DESG is boxed on the EHSI, I was not able to access the TV sensor. The MPCD would stay lock in the LST mode. Once I unboxed the DESG on the EHSI, I was able to bring up the TV sensor. I followed the AV8B training mission over and over many times and I was stuck when the TV sensor lesson came up because the lesson prior to that had me box the DESG on the EHSI, but it did not tell me to be sure to unbox it for the next lesson. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the issue is boxing DESG. The issue is that if the TARGET that is designated is outside the field of view of the DMT, it will show INS rather than TV. As you bring the nose around within the FOV limits of the TV sensor, you will get the TV image of the designated target. At least this is my experience. I think you are confusing the LST symbology with the INS symbology.

• Like 1

@Heliflyr Exactly what @Recluse said above.  When you box DESG on the EHSI, that will automatically slew the DMT to that waypoint that you have designated.  If the waypoint is out of the FOV of the DMT, it will just show a blank screen.  Just make sure you DESG the correct waypoint, or you could slew the waypoint so it is closer to the target area.  What I usually do is designate an area on the ground, which creates a Target point on the EHSI that I can select and then press DESG for.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 5:18 AM, [TF-108] Aero said:

@Heliflyr Exactly what @Recluse said above.  When you box DESG on the EHSI, that will automatically slew the DMT to that waypoint that you have designated.  If the waypoint is out of the FOV of the DMT, it will just show a blank screen. 

AFAIU when you designate a waypoint by boxing DESG when waypoint is selected, you shouldn't get a blank screen when doing SSS Aft for a TV mode. You should have a compass rose that is guiding you to attack on that TD.

This because the real manuals say that once you reach DMT gimbal limits, the right side DMT display should be replaced with compass rose.

If you performed an attack by releasing weapons (gun, rockets or bombs), then you should get the ground track heading from the (generated or existing) Target Designation as course line. So you know that what was the attack direction you performed and where is the target designation.

When you turn toward the Designated Target (waypoint, markpoint, target point etc) and you have DMT/TV selected, page should be swapped automatically from the compass rose to the TV mode where it has a large open crosshair. The DMT/TV is at that moment only pointing to TD as video, but it is not tracking anything. You need to perform contrast lock again by pressing a TDC to acquire a lock, and then the DMT/TV will perform a contrast detection in the whole large crosshair area, and select the highest contrast and shrink around it with a small crosshair and box inside it (the current implemented crosshair). You need to then "sweeten" the lock if so required and each time that 180 ms is performed to try find contrast and lock on it. Each successive lock, the ARBS starts recalculating the slant range and you get new guidance on that position. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.