6x Mk82 on MER?

Hey devs, just a question because I'm curious:

Why are the 6x Mk82 on MER disabled currently? I mean, they are in the .lua file but are commented out.

During my tests, there was nothing wrong with them. The SMS recognized them correctly, I could set them up via the SMS with the exception of the current "ignore the QTY and MULT settings"- bug. They came off the airplane and hit their marks.

Greetings

-K

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

No no no, thats not what I'm talking about.

There is a MER adapter wich can hold 6 Mk82. It is/will be/should be a possible loadout option with the Hornet, but currently it is disabled thrugh comments in the .lua file wich defines possible loadouts.

And they are working just fine, no issues besides that Bug since last patch wich affects all GP-Bombs of the Hornet.

Thats why I am asking why the MER are disabled.

Greetings

-K

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

What lua file is it in? For science of course... :)

It's located in /DCS/CoreMods/aircraft/FA-18C/

Filename is "FA-18C.lua"

Yeah it exists, seen in a Wags video. Must be a bug in it is they had to withhold. That's my guess.

I've tested them the last few hours and didn't find anything besides what allready described above and discovered by others...

Greetings

-K

Edited by Kelevra9987

My real time around Hornets, MERS on Hornets were only used for MK-76’s, MK-58’s and LGTR’s. You can pull up all the internet pics you like but I never ever saw Hornets load a MER with full scale Mk-82’s, MK-83’s etc. A-6’s in my wing used them religiously.

Edited by MackM2

Nice! :thumbup:

Nevertheless ED/3rd Party Developer, i'm waiting for an A-6. :smilewink:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

My real time around Hornets, MERS on Hornets were only used for MK-76’s, MK-58’s and LGTR’s. You can pull up all the internet pics you like but I never ever saw Hornets load a MER with full scale Mk-82’s, MK-83’s etc.

I was an ordnanceman in a Hornet squadron in the late 2000's and my experience matches yours. As far as I can recall, I have never seen any procedures in any manual or checklist for loading anything put practice stores and flares on MERs.

Additionally the BRU-42 was only used for the TALD and ITALD. No bombs on that either.

That could explain why it is not aviable in the sim right now, only by MOD, though nice to try until someone is making an A-6.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

That could explain why it is not aviable in the sim right now, only by MOD, though nice to try until someone is making an A-6.

Some of the commented out weapons will be utilized in future F/A-18 updates according to the mini-updates thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3285514&postcount=13 (e.g. AIM-120, etc), so I'm wondering if the 6xMk82/etc MER will ever be one of those uncommented/available for the inner/outer pylon and thus not considered a mod... would be nice to know.

They're disabled right now cause they have a major bug when you use them.

After you used up all your bombs with empty tacks still attached you can go mach 2 while still on deck.

As soon as you drop the racks you start slowing down to normal speeds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

Did some more testing and it's only related to the rack itself.

I can supercruise on the deck after I threw all 24 BDU-33.

Greetings

-K

Sextuple Mk-82 Rack

Hello,

A friend of mine noticed the rack with six Mk-82s on it was not in the rearm list, he made a small mod to make it available, worked great ! Wondering if this will be added later or if this was forgotten. I remember seeing it in one of Wags's stream, not sure.

Cheers,

Rex.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I don't believe it's been approved for use on the Hornet except with BDU-33s, but I may be wrong.

Yes I know, but it could be added even if it is not an official loadout, Heatblur added the loadout of 14 Mk82 to the F-14B even if it was used only during the tests, I would like all the possible loadouts for an aircraft to be available, at the end if a person wants an historical aircraft should simply not use non-historical loadouts.

Edited by Maverick966

• 7 months later...
Yes I know, but it could be added even if it is not an official loadout, Heatblur added the loadout of 14 Mk82 to the F-14B even if it was used only during the tests, I would like all the possible loadouts for an aircraft to be available, at the end if a person wants an historical aircraft should simply not use non-historical loadouts.

ED isn't simulating a generic Hornet, it's a specific Hornet, specifically I think it's the third to last FA-18C ever delivered to the US Navy.

Along with this they only want to include in the sim US Navy weapons systems that were available for whatever time period it is they are simulating, they say the 2005 time period.

This is why we have the weapons we have available, only weapons the US Navy used prior to and including 2005.

This is why we don't have the AGM-65G, it was available for a bit but they said they couldn't find any evidence that the US Navy ever used it so they took it out.

If it was in the US Navy inventory and available to the Charlie Hornets after 2005, we miss out.

The only exception to this that I'm aware of is the Litening TGP, the US Navy doesn't use it, but we (users) kept demanding it so they have included it because the ATFLIR is still too far away, waiting on other DCS World improvements before they can deliver it to us.

I would argue that ED could go a little bit further and include any US Marine weapon systems the Charlie Hornets use along with the Litening, since the real plane is currently in service with the US Marines but it would only be possible if they have the documentation, maybe they just don't because it's too recent.

I know other developers do it differently, the US Navy never launched an F-14 with 6 AIM-54's other then in tests as far as I'm aware but HeatBlur are making loadouts like that available, it's just how they want to do it.

And this is her in the US Marines in July 2019

52611_1564899213.jpg

All the above being said, with a little bit of mucking about with the FA-18C.lua and the common_bombs.lua you can have the 4x(6xmk-82's) and 1x(4xmk-82's) loadout, it's a little bit funky in operation so you can't drop all 28 in one string but you can still drop all 28 bombs.

Edited by launchedsquid

I know other developers do it differently, the US Navy never launched an F-14 with 6 AIM-54's other then in tests as far as I'm aware but HeatBlur are making loadouts like that available, it's just how they want to do it.

The F-14A SAC from 1977 shows a 6x AIM-54 loadout for the Fleet Air Defence profile and the ability to carry 6x AIM-54 was part of the F-14's design specification.

Adding potentially 28 Mk-82's (4x6 on the wings + 3+1 center line) to the F/A-18C is very different i.e. you are asking for a loadout that AFAIK was never tested/approved.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Everything I ever read has said that the US Navy didn't launch F-14's with 6 x AIM-54's because they couldn't land back on the carrier with that loadout and would have to jettison some of them when they get back to the boat.

F-14A_Tomcat_SAC_-_April_1977 also shows that Deck launched intercept was no AIM-54's at all.

Infact, on second reading it seems to indirectly support the claim that the F-14 can't land back on the boat with 6 Aim-54's.

Max landing weight arrested is 51,830lbs

Fleet A. D. landing weight is 52,637lbs

It could dump a further 807lbs and be on the max weight but it would only have 2,141lbs according to that document, reducing that further to 1,334lbs with the threat of bolters and finding the tanker, that would be risky.

Do you know of anything that shows a Tomcat launching from the carrier with 6 AIM-54's other then a test, an actual US Navy fleet mission? I've never seen anything that said they did but quite a bit that suggests they didn't, although not explicitly saying they didn't.

Edited by launchedsquid

Everything I ever read has said that the US Navy didn't launch F-14's with 6 x AIM-54's because they couldn't land back on the carrier with that loadout and would have to jettison some of them when they get back to the boat.

F-14A_Tomcat_SAC_-_April_1977 also shows that Deck launched intercept was no AIM-54's at all.

Infact, on second reading it seems to indirectly support the claim that the F-14 can't land back on the boat with 6 Aim-54's.

Max landing weight arrested is 51,830lbs

Fleet A. D. landing weight is 52,637lbs

It could dump a further 807lbs and be on the max weight but it would only have 2,141lbs according to that document, reducing that further to 1,334lbs with the threat of bolters and finding the tanker, that would be risky.

Do you know of anything that shows a Tomcat launching from the carrier with 6 AIM-54's other then a test, an actual US Navy fleet mission? I've never seen anything that said they did but quite a bit that suggests they didn't, although not explicitly saying they didn't.

Just like you said, with 6 AIM-54 they would have been too heavy to land on the boat.

Just because they didn‘t use that loadout (in „peacetime“) doesn‘t mean they couldn‘t use it. My understanding is the F-14 was built to get 6 Phoenix up against those bombers and missiles.

But I‘ve never seen or read anything about Hornets with 28 bombs (sadly ????) so that‘s another story.

vCVW-17 / VF-74