Recent Wardthog quality?

Hi All,

I recently lost Win10 contact with my Warthog Stick that was purchased in 2011. I opened it to lubricate the ball joint and and something went wrong.... rip.

I'm debating buying another TM Warthog setup but was wondering how the new Warthogs have been holding up? I know that TM will be coming out with an F/A-18 stick but not sure if it's a stand alone or has an option to come with a throttle..... my throttle still works for the most part but I'm sure it's days are numbered.

Any thoughts to offer?

SlapStik

TM Warthog #1547, TM TPR Pedals, TM MFD pack & TIR4

I just got a new warthog stick off of amazon for f18 last week. The stiction problem is definitely there straight out of the box. My old t16000m feels noticeably smoother. Regreased with 767A, which certainly helped a lot, but I can still feel a bit of it in the pitch axis. Good enough for now until VKB or Virpil has their desktop gimbal in stock again...

Hi All,

I recently lost Win10 contact with my Warthog Stick that was purchased in 2011. I opened it to lubricate the ball joint and and something went wrong.... rip.

I'm debating buying another TM Warthog setup but was wondering how the new Warthogs have been holding up? I know that TM will be coming out with an F/A-18 stick but not sure if it's a stand alone or has an option to come with a throttle..... my throttle still works for the most part but I'm sure it's days are numbered.

Any thoughts to offer?

The stick PCB has a small electronic fuse. It stops the PCB burning with static discharge (can happen if you handle it).

It should be on the lower left (if i remember correctly) if you got the underside of the stick facing you.

On mine it got triggered and had the same problem as you, what I did was shunt it with a small copper wire (1/2mm length) since I didnt want to bother with sourcing the correct part.

Maybe you should try that before throwing your stick away?

Proud owner of DCS: FC3, A-10C Warthog, F-14A/B Tomcat, F-5E Tiger, Mig21bis Fishbed, Mirage 2000C, Nevada Test Site, Normandy, Ka-50 Black Shark, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst, FW 190 D-9 Dora, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D Mustang Combined Arms, Hawk T.1A, L-39 Albatros, NS 430 Nav System, F-86F Sabre, MiG-15bis, AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL, F/A-18C Hornet, Yak-52 and the mighty AJS-37 Viggen! :music_whistling:

Thanks for your feedback SilentWarrior! Interesting point you make and it is a good possibility especially since I cannot see any physical damage to the wiring or other components. I'll take a look and see if I can save my stick.....

Thanks again!

SlapStik

So, I removed the base but have no idea which is the electronic breaker that may be bad.... Anyone out there see anything that may help bring the stick back to life?

IMG_2082_zpsyix3ssvh.jpg

SlapStik

So, I removed the base but have no idea which is the electronic breaker that may be bad.... Anyone out there see anything that may help bring the stick back to life?

IMG_2082_zpsyix3ssvh.jpg

Ok, I don't know where the fuse is. But I do notice nothing is attached to the left ground post. There should be a ground wire to that screw (one marked with the sharpie) just like the right one.

I would also check the wiring leading to the PS2 connector as well. You might have pinched it.

I checked the stick and the ground, from the factory, is attached to the center screw under the main cable, hard to see but it's there. I'm pretty sure that I flattened 2 wires when I reassembled incorrectly after lubing the knuckle so good chance that is it. The wires were intact but clearly marked or flattened in one area. Thanks for the response!

SlapStik

Here is a picture after I took it apart again and tried to fix my mistake, kinda hard to tell but 2 wires have flat marks on them and one is the ground.

IMG_2081_zpskzxok4uo.jpg

SlapStik

You can also upgrade the WH stick to a force sensing stick. The less moving parts the better. I had the stiction problem among other issues with the one I got in 2011, that’s why I own a couple warthogs. Anyways, once I upgraded my WH stick to force sensing so there is no movement, the stick has worked wonders. So that is an option. It’s pretty expensive though.

You can also upgrade the WH stick to a force sensing stick. The less moving parts the better. I had the stiction problem among other issues with the one I got in 2011, that’s why I own a couple warthogs. Anyways, once I upgraded my WH stick to force sensing so there is no movement, the stick has worked wonders. So that is an option. It’s pretty expensive though.

Interesting, I had done that on a Cougar I owned prior to moving to the Warthog....... definitely took some getting use to!

I went ahead and ordered a new TM Warthog HOTAS since mine was aging and had other issues including the throttle but thanks to all for your feedback!

SlapStik