Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

A New Mission Has Arrived!

Operation: Command & Conquer

CwtqMVk.jpg

* The mission will be added to the server's rotation on Saturday, the 12th of January, around 1800 zulu.

Situation:

* Mission lasts for 6 hours.

Red Airbases: Krymsk (main airbase), Gelendzhik, Novorossiysk, Anapa.

Blue Airbases: Krasnodar C (main airbase), Krasnodar P, Maykop.

Red has 40 BMP-2's combat ready, east of Krymsk and under your command, using Combined Arms, cmdr, while Blue has 40 Bradley's west of Krasnodar C.

The goal is to capture the enemy's main airbase by destroying his APC battalion, the garrison at the main airbase (Shilkas/Vulcans, Strelas/Chaparrals and T-72's/Abrams tanks - numbers unknown!) and then moving your own APC units to his airbase to capture it!

You can do the same to capture all secondary airbases as well.

Available Aircraft:

Red: MiG-21, MiG-15, L-39ZA, Ka-50, Mi-8.

Blue: F-5, F-86, AJS37, C-101CC (yes, the damage model, I know), SA342M, UH-1 and P-51's.

Weapon Restrictions:

There will be no all aspect AA missiles this time. No guided bombs/missiles/rockets.

* We'll see how this plays out. Maybe the weapon restrictions are too much. Fly the mission, please, and share your experience.

There are no waypoints. The main goal is to destroy the enemy's APC battalion and capture his main airbase or even all his airbases.

8 available cmdr (Combined Arms) slots for each coalition.

Command your ground units to move accordingly or drive them yourself.

Eliminate the enemy...

... and conquer!

EDIT:

The P-51's were added after a player had wished for. Couldn't see why not with such a simple scenario. 2 x P-51 slots available from Krasnodar C.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

@metzger:

The F-10 option was never avialable on the server. No idea how that seemed like it to you.

The PG map will be added. Maybe a mission or two, because most players don't have it.

For an Iraq-Iran scenario, the F-14 would be legit, you're right. But then the MiG-29 too. The server is based on the MiG-21 and the F-5. Adding the two would simply change the core scenario of this server. Still, I have some ideas on my mind! Can't say no more, so let's stop right there and not speculate :smilewink:

Hi Alpen,

Thanks for answer. I really don't know how I ended up with the impression that f-10 option is available, but I am happy it is not there :) as I said flew only once on the server but I follow it closely.

I understand f-14 case and I agree. In fact, I am not interested to flying it itself, just to have somewhat legit iran-iraq representation as it is probably the one we can replicate best in dcs based on the theaters and frames we have, it was just a thought, nothing else. Yes, mig-29A with restricted "E" missiles would also fit in such scenario, so is the also upcoming mig-23. Another point for the question why this is ignored by the server admins and we don't have it yet. But this is just an idea for future not at all a criticism for what you have already :)

How about having a mission or two without precision ground attackers so we can utilize a2g capabilities of f-5/l39/mig21 ? I know you still can, but it makes it sort of pointless when you can go with ka-50 or harrier and all it's sensors.

I want to also put my 2 cents on the weather -

I read on the thread that it is mostly clear due to visibility concerns but shitty cloudy/foggy weather should make it more interesting, mission has certain objective, one can use the weather as an advantage to achieve it, mission objective usually is not to find another fighter to have a dogfight but if it happens, well, clouds and weather are something you can't change irl and have to deal with it :) Thing also about the navigation and ils landing challenge in the bad weather, everyone can shoot missiles but let see how people will deal with mother nature ;)

Anyway, thanks for running this server, I really appreciate all server admins and the effort you guys put. Hope to see you in the air soon :)

EDIT:

Damn, the new mission looks good, can't wait to try it!

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys.

I am writing to you because I struggle to know where I am on the map. For example today I spawn in Beslan but Beslan airport was not showing on the map. It took me a while to be able to find it and I had to check on Google :music_whistling:

${1}

Any pointer?

Hi guys.

I am writing to you because I struggle to know where I am on the map. For example today I spawn in Beslan but Beslan airport was not showing on the map. It took me a while to be able to find it and I had to check on Google :music_whistling:

Any pointer?

When in full Fog of war, only neutral airbases will show by name.. for some reason.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The airport itself is visible if you know where it is, the problem is that the name doesn't appear and scale up like it does for the unoccupied fields. I believe this started somewhere during the 2.5 era and there is nothing we can do as users to change it with our individual settings.

I guess I just learned where the airports are after time. If you aren't familiar with the map I would recommend joining as Tac Commander before you hop in your aircraft and write down the grid for the base/FARP you will be using...and keep that list around for the next time that mission is up in rotation.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

@metzger:

The weather used to be an issue, but that has changed in some missions. Rain, heavy clouds, fog etc. were added.

The new mission features no strikers. I know, the Ka-50 is a beast, but the whole new mission is an experiment. We'll see how things go with the weapons. We'll see if helicopters are really needed or not. Maybe alter a thing or two. Time will tell.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

"C-101CC (yes, the damage model, I know)"

Can players be asked to go by the honour system at least and eject if they lose big parts of their airframe?

That would be a perfect world we live in!

You know, I'm just hoping for the next update (which should be next Wednesday) to include the fix for the C-101's damage model. I don't think they need to work for weeks on that.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

That would be a perfect world we live in!

You know, I'm just hoping for the next update (which should be next Wednesday) to include the fix for the C-101's damage model. I don't think they need to work for weeks on that.

I hope so, at least they are working on that unlike others :P

Are you working on the server Alpenwolf, because otherwise it might be down? Can anyone else confirm? It was running The Sukhumi City mission about six hours ago and was fine...

Multiplayer as Variable

The new mission sounds very exciting and dynamic, I'm eager to try it tomorrow. :thumbup:

Regarding the testing of the air to ground weapons restrictions, I am quite concerned about it though. While not familiar with all the missions currently running, this seems to be featuring the most difficult targets (MBTs, dispersed moving armored targets, IR SAMs...). Further problem is, that AI controlled BMP 2s are unrealistically dangerous even to fast jets.

I am quite sure, that if we use this setup to test the A/G weapons retrictions, the feedback will be negative, causing to disregard a very challenging and fun option in the future. In my opinion some of the older missions could be a much better candidate for this test.

The new mission sounds very exciting and dynamic, I'm eager to try it tomorrow. :thumbup:

Regarding the testing of the air to ground weapons restrictions, I am quite concerned about it though. While not familiar with all the missions currently running, this seems to be featuring the most difficult targets (MBTs, dispersed moving armored targets, IR SAMs...). Further problem is, that AI controlled BMP 2s are unrealistically dangerous even to fast jets.

I am quite sure, that if we use this setup to test the A/G weapons retrictions, the feedback will be negative, causing to disregard a very challenging and fun option in the future. In my opinion some of the older missions could be a much better candidate for this test.

Well, you should use your APC's to engage the enemy's APC's using the cmdr slot, or at least (and this is the better option) have one or two guys do that, while you fly your plane. The APC's would be busy firing at each other, while you strike from above. This should "force" players to cooperate and get on TS/SRS for that.

The tanks are only at the main airbases for both coalitions (not the secondary airbases, which are not top priority). The APC's can fire ATGM's to deal with the tanks. Maybe players should hop in the APC's once close from the enemy airbase instead of relying on AI to do that. Again, cooperate with other players and combine aerial and ground forces accordingly. This is the key! So, yeah! Maybe I am trying to force players to cooperate :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

They're a small team so it might take a little longer than say ED or HeatBlur. Anyway, don't want to turn this into a bashing thread.

Good point. If the fix is not released then I might take 'em all out of the missions. It's just frustrating to do that, when maybe a couple of days later the fix arrives. Feels like lots of work for almost nothing.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Are you working on the server Alpenwolf, because otherwise it might be down? Can anyone else confirm? It was running The Sukhumi City mission about six hours ago and was fine...

Was stuck in the snowstorm for hours before I got home. Only then I could put the server back online :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Was stuck in the snowstorm for hours before I got home. Only then I could put the server back online :smilewink:

Thanks Alpenwolf.

Multiplayer as Variable

Briefing image of the new mission, Command & Conquer:

* Note that APC's can cross the river, however at a low speed.

EDIT:

The C-101CC's were taken out of this mission to enable a better judgement of the scenario with the restricted weapons.

8oXQTG2.jpg

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Lots of players are online currently! I'd hate to ruin the party for them! I'll launch the new mission in 1-2 hours.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Is there somewhere a collection of the missions briefings ?

No, actually. I could add them to the second post of this thread. Will need some time for that, though.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

No, actually. I could add them to the second post of this thread. Will need some time for that, though.

That would be very cool indeed.

One other thing as well, could you please update the briefing images with newer screenshots? Some of those images are still from the old DCS 1.5!

I've been enjoying the server a lot! :thumbup:

So... flew the new mission yesterday with over 40 other players! Was really fun. And I have to say, I love the weapons restrictions. Scoring kills with R-60's felt really cool. They don't turn as good as the R-60M's and they are easily defeated. Was chasing a Viggen that was disoensing one flare a time while in afterburner. He easily defeated the first missile before the second one got him. FUN STUFF!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments