Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Maybe I am missing something, but which server setting could affect the RWR?

I think it might be something to do with the Two Towns mission. Had a quick look again last night when the In the Mountains mission was running and it was there in my cockpit.

Reference the bad behaviour I have played many hours on this server and have very very rarely experienced it. I think because it's styled as ultra-realistic it doesn't appeal as much to the problem children as hence I've rarely witnessed team killing it's usually friendly fire/mistaken identity I've witnessed which as Aplenwolf mentions is a fact of life in real war situations. Great server as always, hopefully the prats will stay away and let the rest of us have a good time.

The weapons' restriction thing is mainly to change the routine and get players to use all kinds of weapons. Here you get to work on different strategies while using less sophisticated weapons. Comparing the R-60M with the R-60 shows how players are less likely to score the same amount of kills, which proves that the restriction applies. Same thing with the AIM-9P5 and the RB-74, etc. Comparing those with their predecessors shows the exact same results. I believe many make the mistake of comparing different weapons of different manufacturers with their various variants.

All planes, all cars, all vehicles, machines, electric devices, etc. have advantages and disadvantages over their counterparts. We can't just start trimming them down to get "balance" and please everyone, or so I believe.

Thanks for the response Alenwolf! Sounds good :)

I had thought the whole reason the restriction was made was for balance but I misunderstood.

... I think you are limiting the player base for no reason...

Including all types of Aircraft available on the Cold War server in every mission wouldn't be much creative regarding mission editing. The variety in the missions' scenarios and leaving out some airplanes here and there is for the sake of offering some change while keeping in mind that the MiG-21 and the F-5 are the backbone of every mission. Years ago it was almost the Fishbed and the Tiger only and in big numbers too. Now other types of aircraft are available on the DCS market that I saw fit to include so I did.

And more to come...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Alpen, is possible to get more announcements when the server is about to change mission. Because getting when its one minute left is a bit late.

My suggestion is during the last hour the players will have a warnings at 60,30,15,10,5 minutes left instead of just one minutes left.

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

Alpen, is possible to get more announcements when the server is about to change mission. Because getting when its one minute left is a bit late.

My suggestion is during the last hour the players will have a warnings at 60,30,15,10,5 minutes left instead of just one minutes left.

60 and 1 min are there already. I'll include the 30 min now and upload later. The problem is players would start leaving earlier and the next mission would have no one to fly. It simply kills the server.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Server News:

1. All missions have now a "Mission ends in 30 minutes" warning message included to fill the gap between the "1 hour" and "1 minute" warning messages.

2. MiG-19's in the mission Two Towns have the SPO-2 RWR enabled.

3. All weapons (except for the nuke bombs) in all missions will soon be enabled.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

3. All weapons (except for the nuke bombs) in all missions will soon be enabled.

Wow, this is great! I've been wanting to shoot the R-3R on the server. It's all-aspect, but short range and you have to be heads-down in the cockpit to use it so I think it'll be pretty balanced. A nice change of pace from loading up with all R-60s.

Thanks!

I think there's a bug with static objects not loading. I've noticed in "When The Mountains Cry" and "Ossetia" that the water towers and pump stations are missing.

Speaking of static objects and all weapons, have you considered using offsite warehouses to supply the airfields with the more advanced weapons? That way a team could limit their opponents effectiveness by reducing the number of weapons such as R-60M, AIM-9P5 to the initial level at the airfield.

Might give incentive for more air to ground attack and cover.

I think there's a bug with static objects not loading. I've noticed in "When The Mountains Cry" and "Ossetia" that the water towers and pump stations are missing.

Speaking of static objects and all weapons, have you considered using offsite warehouses to supply the airfields with the more advanced weapons? That way a team could limit their opponents effectiveness by reducing the number of weapons such as R-60M, AIM-9P5 to the initial level at the airfield.

Might give incentive for more air to ground attack and cover.

The bug regarding the static objects is an old issue in DCS. And it doesn't effect everyone as far as I know.

Limiting weapons in general has always been a feature I've always been interested in. The way you describe it is a bit similar to what we have in BlueFlag. There the scenario is completely different and much more incentive for helicopter pilots to fly cargo sorties to resupply their airbases. In the time limited missions I have players are mostly interested in dogfights rather than anything else. Helicopter missions are not a thing I see often on the Cold War server. Although, I do try to involve them somehow but only a small number of players are interested in flying helicopters here. However, I did notice 3 Gazelle pilots yesterday and 1 UH-1 pilot in the mission When The Mountains Cry. That was something!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I have out of curiosity started a poll on google form. With two questions regarding the missions.

1. Which is your favorite mission?
  2. Which is your least favorite mission?

The poll can be found here

https://forms.gle/L1oaatvEjVUrrK5V7

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

Server News:

1. All missions have now a "Mission ends in 30 minutes" warning message included to fill the gap between the "1 hour" and "1 minute" warning messages.

2. MiG-19's in the mission Two Towns have the SPO-2 RWR enabled.

For #3: Does this mean we will no longer have any missions with restricted weapons? Just curious as this was my favourite (especially during the water stations/lake mission) or will you have two sets of all the missions - one set with restricted weapons and the other set with full weapons?

For #3: Does this mean we will no longer have any missions with restricted weapons? Just curious as this was my favourite (especially during the water stations/lake mission) or will you have two sets of all the missions - one set with restricted weapons and the other set with full weapons?

Players will have access to all weapons (except for nuke bombs) in all missions for 2-3 weeks max. Havoc mode on! You know, breaking the routine...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I have out of curiosity started a poll on google form. With two questions regarding the missions.

1. Which is your favorite mission?
  2. Which is your least favorite mission?

The poll can be found here

https://forms.gle/L1oaatvEjVUrrK5V7

:thumbup:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hello

Last week was pretty busy for us, we had to ship some "stuff" over to IRAN. But i was very glad and disponented about the upcoming changes to the server. Happy that we can dominate the filthy americans with r-60m. Disappointed that they were not implemented yet. I have therefore written a poem to Mr. Alpenwolf to speed up the process.

He protecc

He attac

But most importently i want my r-60M back

Supreme leader

Players will have access to all weapons (except for nuke bombs) in all missions for 2-3 weeks max. Havoc mode on! You know, breaking the routine...

I played Catch Me If You Can earlier and noticed that AIM9P5s are not available - are they still restricted?

Northrop F-5E TIGER II

Intel i7-9700k @ 5.0 GHz | GTX 3070 | 32 GB | HTC VIVE PRO 2
Virpil T50 CM2 base + CM2 grip | CM2 Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV

I played Catch Me If You Can earlier and noticed that AIM9P5s are not available - are they still restricted?

Plz read the text in bold words.

Edited by Skyracer

Server News:

All missions now run without any weapons' restrictions, except for the nuke bombs.

Enjoy!

YES!

yeah so why do the reds get R-60Ms but we don't get Rb74s or AIM-9P5s?

In the restricted missions, the MiG-21's should only be getting R-60's. Not R-60M's. Both are all aspect but the M's are much better. The response to this is shown below:

The weapons' restriction thing is mainly to change the routine and get players to use all kinds of weapons. Here you get to work on different strategies while using less sophisticated weapons. Comparing the R-60M with the R-60 shows how players are less likely to score the same amount of kills, which proves that the restriction applies. Same thing with the AIM-9P5 and the RB-74, etc. Comparing those with their predecessors shows the exact same results. I believe many make the mistake of comparing different weapons of different manufacturers with their various variants.

All planes, all cars, all vehicles, machines, electric devices, etc. have advantages and disadvantages over their counterparts. We can't just start trimming them down to get "balance" and please everyone, or so I believe.

Now if the reds are actually getting R-60M's and the blues are not getting AIM-9P5's, then that's a whole different story.