Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Suggestions for gameplay improvements

Hi all!

This is my first post on the forum so i would like to bring something new to the discussion.

I played a lot of times on "The deserts has eyes" mission and it feels like it's missing something, usually both sides manage to destroy all the ewrs on the map in the first couple hours, GCIs go basically blind and i feel like im flying without a purpose, so i would like to suggest some modifications that could make playing on that map more stimulating.

(this is just food for thought for us all to reflect upon)

This is what i thought about:

-Better defence of FARPs (which i think Alpenwolf already took care of)

-Including a couple of tanks on FARPs to discourage driving AAAs direcly in it

-Deployable advanced SAMs (Strela/Chaparrals) in the CTLD menu, maybe unlocked with an helo mission (crate delivery/ extraction of special forces teams that carry some sort of intellicenge exc.)

-Addition of more mission critical locations (FOBs,ammo depot exc..) to destroy after the EWRs are gone, in order to increase mission longevity

-Deployable EWRs AFTER the first four get destroyed, maybe unlocked with the usual delivery mission, to ensure at least some ease of gameplay for our poor GCIs

Thank you for your time, i hope AlpenWolf will consider these suggestions or maybe use them as cues for some new missions.

Hope you have a wonderful day, stay safe and healthy, see you in the server!! :pilotfly:

Welcome to the forums, Rigo! Was fun flying with you yesterday by the way :smilewink:

Some of your suggestions I have implemented already. Others sound good and will be done when time allows it. Once that happens I'll announce the changes added to the mission.

S!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Server News:

Changes added to the mission The Desert Has Eyes:

- Tanks added around the FARP's for better protection.

- Strela's and Avengers (IR SAM's) can now be deployed.

- Only 4 EWR's are available but now they're protected by IR's SAM's and AAA's.

- Additional objectives might be added.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Server News:

Changes added to the mission The Desert Has Eyes:

- Tanks added around the FARP's for better protection.

- Strela's and Avengers (IR SAM's) can now be deployed.

- Only 4 EWR's are available but now they're protected by IR's SAM's and AAA's.

- Additional objectives might be added.

These changes will definitely work out well!

There are 4 SU25’s on the “Swedish Delivery” mission.

Can that be even out with 2-4 A10’s on the Blue side?

Have a good one :thumbup:

NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For "The desert has eyes" today we would have needed more choppers (UH-1). I had five other eager helicopter pilots with me, but only one Huey was free.

So we flew Red for the first time (Su-25 mainly), and one of my mates wanted to fly some AA units with the Mi-8. He couldn't load any at the FARP though. There were many ground units destroyed already; is spawning crates linked to vehicles and/or structures at the FARP, i.e. when they are destroyed there are no crates anymore?

Edited by Pilot Ike

For "The desert has eyes" today we would have needed more choppers (UH-1). I had five other eager helicopter pilots with me, but only one Huey was free.

So we flew Red for the first time (Su-25 mainly), and one of my mates wanted to fly some AA units with the Mi-8. He couldn't load any at the FARP though. There were many ground units destroyed already; is spawning crates linked to vehicles and/or structures at the FARP, i.e. when they are destroyed there are no crates anymore?

Unfortunately yes. The building is actually small and hidden well and far away enough from harm. Looks like they were spamming rockets this time and hit it by mistake.

The mission is old and requires some updating as that has started already. I might need to move the FARP's a bit further from danger among other things.

Any chance we can swap R-60Ms for the R-3Ses on the road base L-39s in Catch Me If You Can, at least while the weapon restrictions are not in place? :yes:

I'm working on enabling rearming anyway.

About today's sortie:

The road is fine, one simply needs to taxi without any sudden stops or turns. Otherwise the plane would stop rolling.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

About today's sortie:

The road is fine, one simply needs to taxi without any sudden stops or turns. Otherwise the plane would stop rolling.

Yup, took me a few I tries but by the end I was a pro at it. There's always new things to learn in DCS!

In Search & Destroy, the Blue helicopters' available ATC (F5 from the comms menu) is only populated with OIKB (Bandar Abbas). They cannot contact FARP Dallas or Lar Airbase, even when the correct frequency is dialed up.

Edit: And the Mi-8s also cannot dial up their FARP from the F5 menu. Only Abu Musa Island (OIBA) or Shiraz.

Edited by Brown Floyd

In Search & Destroy, the Blue helicopters' available ATC (F5 from the comms menu) is only populated with OIKB (Bandar Abbas). They cannot contact FARP Dallas or Lar Airbase, even when the correct frequency is dialed up.

Edit: And the Mi-8s also cannot dial up their FARP from the F5 menu. Only Abu Musa Island (OIBA) or Shiraz.

I always have access to the ATC or the FARP's comms. Just tested it and works fine. Double check , please.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

In "search and destroy" a message popped up saying "blue holds fasa town" even though there were neither red or blue units on the point.

I'll check it out.

Hello guys. ka 50 in the desert, a map of the bay. Do not arm in general. This is normal?

What mission?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

In "search and destroy" a message popped up saying "blue holds fasa town" even though there were neither red or blue units on the point.

Yes that’s what happened. But as you jumped out we found another ground unit at the lake, the 15min count down started and the Blue side won. The strange thing was that there still was a Red unit there but the area had turn Blue.

Five points was really great today, have always flown it from the Red side but tried out the A10. Not sure if the A10’s are supposed to start in the air? Would be great if half of them started on the ground.

NELLUS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes that’s what happened. But as you jumped out we found another ground unit at the lake, the 15min count down started and the Blue side won. The strange thing was that there still was a Red unit there but the area had turn Blue.

Five points was really great today, have always flown it from the Red side but tried out the A10. Not sure if the A10’s are supposed to start in the air? Would be great if half of them started on the ground.

NELLUS

The script is fine, just checked it out. That Red vehcile must've been outside the zone then entered it again after Blue had already captured it or some similar scenario. So blue won, huh?

All units should start on the ground. I'll fix that.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

The script is fine, just checked it out. That Red vehcile must've been outside the zone then entered it again after Blue had already captured it or some similar scenario. So blue won, huh?

All units should start on the ground. I'll fix that.

Yes Blue won, but it was not a fair play thing. The mission rolled over from the night and what all the Blues had to do was to keep the area clean from Hilo's.

We need to have another Rumble like the other evening hehe :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

там где есть 2 ка 50 и 2 Ми 8. взлетают с площадки.Ка 50 нельзя вооружить не каким видом оружия.

Because the logistic unit was destroyed.

Seems like Blue really enjoys harassing Red bases which are not part of any objective. I know Red does that too sometimes, but Blue does it more frequently. Let's rather stick with the objectives.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Seems like Blue really enjoys harassing Red bases which are not part of any objective. I know Red does that too sometimes, but Blue does it more frequently. Let's rather stick with the objectives.

Is there maybe a way of locating the supply vehicles and objects in some kind of bunker, just to give them protection from strafers and sabotage missions?

[DEVILS 666] NELLUS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there maybe a way of locating the supply vehicles and objects in some kind of bunker, just to give them protection from strafers and sabotage missions?

[DEVILS 666] NELLUS

Unfortunately, no. I'll figure out something.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

- Strela-13's and Chaparral's are now available for deployment in most missions for Mi-8's and UH-1's instead of Strela-9's and Avengers.

- The FARP's in Phone Booth and Sail Ahoy! were replaced by single helipads to avoid having helicopters spawning on top of each other. More missions will be fixed.

- For the missions running for 8 hours plus a script is being tested to allow restarting the server every x hours while saving all data.

- The script should help players finish the missions even if they should go on for days.

- Work on a new mission in the Persian Gulf map is almost done. Featuring Mi-8's and UH-1's sling loading crates to activate MiG-29A's and M-2000C's.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Really? You surely have your data, but for the times I flew on the server or played MAGIC, and being a Blue-only pilot (except for that one time when not enough Hueys / Gazelles were available), I never saw blue pilots attack the FARP or airbases, as they were far too busy with air combat mostly. I rather feel it's Red that constantly harrasses the blue FARPs.

Great server news by the way! Thank you!