To be able to activate a Kub system you need:

• Kub Launcher

• Kub Radar

To be able to activate a Hawk system you need:

• Hawk Launcher

• Hawk Search Radar

• Hawk Track Radar

• Hawk PCP

So the double amount of flights are needed for similar system.

Is there anyway this can be equalized?

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just had a look on the Mi8 and Huey.

To be able to activate a Kub system you need:

• Kub Launcher

• Kub Radar

To be able to activate a Hawk system you need:

• Hawk Launcher

• Hawk Search Radar

• Hawk Track Radar

• Hawk PCP

So the double amount of flights are needed for similar system.

Is there anyway this can be equalized?

I'm afraid no. This is what the Hawk needs to work.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

By the way, is it at all possible to put rearm/refuel facilities at the two small airstrips north of Kutaisi, or maybe sink a FARP partway into the floor so a plane could taxi onto it to rearm?

I ask for entirely altruistic and not at all selfish reasons :D

It is the case in the mission Ossetia. Currently not included in the rotation.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Is there perhaps a way to start a new mission on a set time everyday?

This could be a time where most players start popping in to the server, which usually happens around 16-18 UTC on a daily basis?

The mission before this time would automatically end and a new mission would start, giving both sides a certain “gather the troops” hour.

The early daily missions usually have 1 - 4 players flying, which is great for training purposes, but can give an unfair head start to either side that can easily sabotage the remaining hours for the other side without them having any units to protect their strategic points.

[DEVILS] NELLUS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey @Alpenwolf

Here's another idea for a PG Map based mission for the Cold War btw

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-iran-iraq-war-f-5s-mig-21s-fought-standstill-25903

I've read similar articles here and there. It is a fact than even fighters don't head out to bulls to clash with other fighters. You don't win the war by dogfights. Air strikes are what is needed if at all and the fighters are mainly there to stop them. In DCS or maybe any other simulator it's different because of the fun factor attached to a game. And most players have more fun dogfighting one another rather than going after ground targets. I personally prefer the latter but that's just me.

Is there perhaps a way to start a new mission on a set time everyday?

This could be a time where most players start popping in to the server, which usually happens around 16-18 UTC on a daily basis?

The mission before this time would automatically end and a new mission would start, giving both sides a certain “gather the troops” hour.

The early daily missions usually have 1 - 4 players flying, which is great for training purposes, but can give an unfair head start to either side that can easily sabotage the remaining hours for the other side without them having any units to protect their strategic points.

[DEVILS] NELLUS

Recently you were upset of the sudden rotation of the server while Phone Booth was up and other players were complaining too. Now you want me to to somehow "automatically end a mission so that a new one can start"? And it's not 1-4 players during the day. Quite often these days it's 5-10. And I did say why the sudden rotation take place sometimes because it is a necessity as explained back then. I get your point though.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I've read similar articles here and there. It is a fact than even fighters don't head out to bulls to clash with other fighters. You don't win the war by dogfights. Air strikes are what is needed if at all and the fighters are mainly there to stop them. In DCS or maybe any other simulator it's different because of the fun factor attached to a game. And most players have more fun dogfighting one another rather than going after ground targets. I personally prefer the latter but that's just me.

Recently you were upset of the sudden rotation of the server while Phone Booth was up and other players were complaining too. Now you want me to to somehow "automatically end a mission so that a new one can start"? And it's not 1-4 players during the day. Quite often these days it's 5-10. And I did say why the sudden rotation take place sometimes because it is a necessity as explained back then. I get your point though.

Spontaneous rotation would upset anyone, but a set time rotation will be fruitful for both sides.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spontaneous rotation would upset anyone, but a set time rotation will be fruitful for both sides.

That would still have to happen suddenly in order to have a mission start around the time frame you mentioned if the current mission is in the middle of its time. What if there are 5-10 players or more having fun?

Again, I get your point and it's not doable because I tried to do it in the past. Unless I turn off the server and bring it back up in the evening when most players are available so that they are there at mission's start.

The missions run for a different amount of time which is why the rotation is always rotating in time itself so that missions running during the day end during the night. And sometimes the missions start on time. And sometimes they end during the day. It's all possible.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

- The mission When The Mountains Cry is out of the server's rotation.

- Instead, the mission Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed takes its place and will be online tonight around 18-19 zulu after the mission The Desert Has Eyes.

* Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed seems to be a tough match for both sides. No side ever won the battle. I might add some changes to it over the next days.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

That would still have to happen suddenly in order to have a mission start around the time frame you mentioned if the current mission is in the middle of its time. What if there are 5-10 players or more having fun?

Again, I get your point and it's not doable because I tried to do it in the past. Unless I turn off the server and bring it back up in the evening when most players are available so that they are there at mission's start.

The missions run for a different amount of time which is why the rotation is always rotating in time itself so that missions running during the day end during the night. And sometimes the missions start on time. And sometimes they end during the day. It's all possible.

Yea, the platform is pretty limiting in that aspect, so I get you.

Great move with the Sukhumi mission instead of Mountains Cry.

Edited by NELLUS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm afraid no. This is what the Hawk needs to work.

Hmmmm, well then, there should be compromise maybe. Huey should deliver 2 units rather than one in one flight. In real life, none of it is possible with huey. Sometimes, as you know by yourself it is hard to "draw" an optimum line between realism and play-ability. :)

Unfortunately the Hawk issue comes from the massive disparity in air defence, which was a real factor at the time anyway. With that said, Kub was typically attached to ground formations rather than used as a purely static defence - layered S-125/S-75 pairs for fixed defence at airbases, and then S-125s replacing Kub as the sling loaded option, could work maybe? I'm not sure which specific variants we have in DCS, but it should only outrange the Kub by 10 or so kilometres, and have about 10-20 less than the Hawk.

In tonight's The Desert Has Eyes, I ejected from my Frogfoot near Blue EWR-2 and then was able to record a couple of Red strikes from the ground level. I don't usually post videos, but I thought these were from an interesting perspective that you guys might enjoy.

SOMAN with a low-level Frogfoot run

LF_Pokri shooting a Grom

Hmmmm, well then, there should be compromise maybe. Huey should deliver 2 units rather than one in one flight. In real life, none of it is possible with huey. Sometimes, as you know by yourself it is hard to "draw" an optimum line between realism and play-ability. :)

I'll try and figure out something. The CTLD script was written by Ciribob so it's a bit of work to do in terms of researching it before I make any changes like that. Requires some time.

Hi, Alpenwolf. Seems that the SRS server is down; nobody can connect on either Blue or Red.

It's back online now. thanks for reporting!

The latest SRS updates have been causing the SRS server host to crash. Not sure why. No doubt Ciribob is working on it.

maybe you can add the M998 HMMWV Avenger on all the map ( as a transportable units for the hueys ) to remove the hole that the blue side have in term of sam defenses

You have the M-48 Chaparral instead which is way better.

On a side note, I believe with the Viggen and Harrier the Blues have a better chance of taking out SAM sites. So maybe that balances it out a bit. Still I'll try and figure out something for Blue. I know that the BlueFlag server enables deploying KUB sites for both Red and Blue. Not really something I approve of because I try to keep units in different coalitions all the time. For one reason it helps with the IFF issue.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I'll try and figure out something. The CTLD script was written by Ciribob so it's a bit of work to do in terms of researching it before I make any changes like that. Requires some time.

It's back online now. thanks for reporting!

The latest SRS updates have been causing the SRS server host to crash. Not sure why. No doubt Ciribob is working on it.

You have the M-48 Chaparral instead which is way better.

On a side note, I believe with the Viggen and Harrier the Blues have a better chance of taking out SAM sites. So maybe that balances it out a bit. Still I'll try and figure out something for Blue. I know that the BlueFlag server enables deploying KUB sites for both Red and Blue. Not really something I approve of because I try to keep units in different coalitions all the time. For one reason it helps with the IFF issue.

The chapparal is totally useless against all flying aircraft compared to the Avenger, the stinger are much more faster and more adapted to mid range air defense compared to the aim 9 of the chapparal, try to compare them, you will see, the chapparal is actually one of the worst SAM in the game

Edited by Pathfinder_50

[DEVILS]

The chapparal is totally useless against all flying aircraft compared to the Avenger, the stinger are much more faster and more adapted to mid range air defense compared to the aim 9 of the chapparal, try to compare them, you will see, the chapparal is actually one of the worst SAM in the game

This is the first time I hear that about the Chaparral!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Had to run some tests to check this, and indeed Chaparral is only a threat to slow moving and loitering aircraft (Helicopters, circling fixed wing)

Strela-10M > Avenger > Chaparral > Strela-1

Capability gap between Strela-10M & Avenger is not very big but Chaparral is miles behind.

Strela-1 is only a danger to Helicopters and only from rear aspect.