Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

There is an apron on Ramat David that has some steel pipes lying across it, one of the F-5s spawn directly on top of that resulting in a nasty surprise upon entering the cockpit.

So it's a Syria map issue? Might wanna report that to Ugra Media with the exact parking lot then. I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm back at my PC.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Server News:

* Operation Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi is back online.

* Operation When The Mountains Cry is offline.

Operation Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi:

- Helicopters on both sides were moved to FARP's closer to the bullseye.

- Red FARP is 30 km east of bulls.

- Blue FARP is 25 km southwest of bulls.

- All aircraft and weapons are limited!

- Instead of 4 neutral airbases at mission's start (that must be captured), each coalition holds 1 airbase.

- Red holds Abu Dhabi International Airport.

- Blue holds Al Dhafra AB.

- Sas Al-Nakheel and Al-Bateen Airports are neutral at mission's start.

- Multiple APC's of different types are available for both coalitions around the city of Abu Dhabi.

- Tanks removed.

- AAA's and SAM sites are the only AA crates that can be deployed. No IR SAM's.

- MiG-29A's and M-2000C's removed.

- Further changes are quite possible...

Updated briefing's image:

3hwUZwK.jpg

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

for the servers with the MiG 29s and F-14s the 29s need to get some R60s or at least the option to take the R27S.

2 R27Rs aren't going to cut it against the much better radar and jamming of the F-14 and the fact that it can take 7 Aim-7s, and Aim9Ls for head on shots

Six, not seven. Two on the glove pylons, four under the tunnel... still a decent amount but to be honest they're not invincible. R-27T is not really all that great - they're easily spoofed by flares, Jester will see the launch even if he shouldn't because of the limitations of the AI, and rolling IRST-only is a very, very stupid way to use the aircraft. Fly high and fast and try to avoid 1v1 head on trades. The 29 with 27Rs performs a lot better than people give credit for, especially against something without fancy JHMCS to make its life easier.

Fighting Mig29s on this server makes me want a high-fidelity F-15A.

Yep, we need more A-teens. I would've taken a 16A over the 16C bl. 50 every single time. Maybe one day. :cry:

Edited by rossmum

In the mission Open Range the MiG-29A takes off from Nalchik. The other MiG's take off from Vody. Therefore, R-60M's are available at Nalchik for the fulcrums. Now, if a MiG-21 or an L-39 decides to fly from Vody to Nalchik just to grab R-60M's, then fly northwest to bulls (somewhere between Vody and Maykop) then it's on them. And I've never seen anyone doing it. It's a long ride just to grab R-60M's. However, in the mission Search & Destroy all Red airplanes take off from Shiraz International airbase. There are no other airbases in that part of the map. So R-60M's must stay out of the warehouses, otherwise MiG-21's would grab them immediately. The MiG-29A's used to take off from Kerman airbase, 360 km northeast of bulls. They had R-60M's but the distance was too much to fly, especially if they needed to RTB and grab more missiles. Nonetheless, the 2 x R-27's are really underestimated. Only a few days ago, Blue ran out of Tomcats, while Red still had 5 Fulcrums. And to balance the odds, Red has 16 x MiG-29A's, while Blue has 12 x F-14B's at mission's start.

rossmum's idea of adding the R-27T's sounds good. I might give it a shot there, while maybe giving Blue 16 x F-14B's instead of 12.

NOTE:

The mission Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed also has Fulcrums and Tomcats taking off from other airbases than what the rest of the aircraft use. Which is why R-60M's are available in that mission too. That gives us a total of 3 missions (out of 30 Cold War missions) featuring these advanced jets.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

- The SA342Mistrals were removed from a number of missions. More to follow.

- Briefings adjusted in some missions.

- In operation Search & Destroy a total of 32 x R-27T's were added.

- In operation Search & Destroy 16 x Tomcats instead of 12.

- The briefings of ALL missions can now be viewed in the second and third posts of this thread.

- Rework of The Desert Has Eyes has been resumed.

- Operation Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi is the first PG mission to limit all aircraft numbers.

- The mission will go online tonight.

- Here are some of the new changes in case you missed them.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Six, not seven. Two on the glove pylons, four under the tunnel... still a decent amount but to be honest they're not invincible. R-27T is not really all that great - they're easily spoofed by flares, Jester will see the launch even if he shouldn't because of the limitations of the AI, and rolling IRST-only is a very, very stupid way to use the aircraft. Fly high and fast and try to avoid 1v1 head on trades. The 29 with 27Rs performs a lot better than people give credit for, especially against something without fancy JHMCS to make its life easier.

Yep, we need more A-teens. I would've taken a 16A over the 16C bl. 50 every single time. Maybe one day. :cry:

Sorry your right it is 6, don't know why I had 7 stuck in my head.

The R27 T does give us a good option when attacking the F-5, and F-14s. The F-5s can be taken out with stealth without wasting the limited 2 stations we can put R-27s on. With the R27R unless I'm rear aspect to him and way within the no escape zone, he has plenty of time to react and defeat the missile. For the F-14 even if jester reacts to a missile launch, he reacts to pretty much any type of launch even if the missile is way off and not targeting the F-14 so without a RWR alarm to back it up, a lot of players will ignore it or react too late.

Either that or the Aim 9L should be locked on the F-14s

This guy gets it.

Northrop F-5E TIGER II

Intel i7-9700k @ 5.0 GHz | GTX 3070 | 32 GB | HTC VIVE PRO 2
Virpil T50 CM2 base + CM2 grip | CM2 Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV

This guy gets it.

Agreed... Really wish they would have done a block 15 OCU which would essentially be the early A cockpit with provisions for Mavericks, Penguin, and AMRAAMs, so it would still be competitive in the modern environment though not the killer the block 52 is, but all those weapons could be restricted on Cold War, and it would basically be just a block 15.

rossmum's idea of adding the R-27T's sounds good. I might give it a shot there, while maybe giving Blue 16 x F-14B's instead of 12.

Not quite what I was getting at - people ask for the 27T now and then because of the "IRST stealth" meme. In reality (well, in DCS too) they're not really intended for that and unless your target is totally unaware, which a Jester-crewed F-14 won't be, they're easily defeated. At that point you're sacrificing one or both of your R-27Rs for them, and still have four empty pylons for short-range IR missiles.

Life would be a lot easier if the 29 could use the R-60 in DCS, but unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon. I guess one possible solution is just to make S&D a lone all-aspect mission, even while the rest of the rotation is rear only? That might confuse people who aren't aware of what a briefing is, though :joystick:

As for R-27R vs F-5 - it can be defeated but I've had reasonably good results with it. Failing that you can always gun him. Gunning a Tomcat is a much riskier proposition, though.

Life would be a lot easier if the 29 could use the R-60 in DCS, but unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon.

Wait a minute, the Fulcrum can't use the standard R-60? The 9.12 and 9.12A should both be capable of firing the regular R-60 (albeit in boresight mode only), though I'd have to consult my books to verify this. I remember reading about the R-60M being integrated with the Shchel-3UM helmet-mounted sight (this works as intended in-game), but with no R-60Ms on the server that's of little concern.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Server News:

* Operation Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi is back online.

* Operation When The Mountains Cry is offline.

Operation Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi:

- Helicopters on both sides were moved to FARP's closer to the bullseye.

- Red FARP is 30 km east of bulls.

- Blue FARP is 25 km southwest of bulls.

- All aircraft and weapons are limited!

- Instead of 4 neutral airbases at mission's start (that must be captured), each coalition holds 1 airbase.

- Red holds Abu Dhabi International Airport.

- Blue holds Al Dhafra AB.

- Sas Al-Nakheel and Al-Bateen Airports are neutral at mission's start.

- Multiple APC's of different types are available for both coalitions around the city of Abu Dhabi.

- Tanks removed.

- AAA's and SAM sites are the only AA crates that can be deployed. No IR SAM's.

- MiG-29A's and M-2000C's removed.

- Further changes are quite possible...

Updated briefing's image:

3hwUZwK.jpg

Yesterdays mission was ton of fun, did Gci work and CA.. another 2 weeks and I will get green light from the Doc to wear VR again.

The best part was that Hilo’s didn't have to fly that far to get to the action. Win went to the Red.

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not quite what I was getting at - people ask for the 27T now and then because of the "IRST stealth" meme. In reality (well, in DCS too) they're not really intended for that and unless your target is totally unaware, which a Jester-crewed F-14 won't be, they're easily defeated. At that point you're sacrificing one or both of your R-27Rs for them, and still have four empty pylons for short-range IR missiles.

Life would be a lot easier if the 29 could use the R-60 in DCS, but unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon. I guess one possible solution is just to make S&D a lone all-aspect mission, even while the rest of the rotation is rear only? That might confuse people who aren't aware of what a briefing is, though :joystick:

As for R-27R vs F-5 - it can be defeated but I've had reasonably good results with it. Failing that you can always gun him. Gunning a Tomcat is a much riskier proposition, though.

All aspect just for the sake of the Fulcrum? I don't think so.

I've added the R-27T's because in the Search & Destroy mission players really need to cover long distances to get to the action to then fire the 2 x R-27R's and maybe not get 1 kill. It starts to get frustrating after a while, I guess.

I'm aware that the T missiles are easily defeated. And just because Jester is going to call them doesn't mean you wont be able to shoot down any Tomcats. You just need to close the range a bit more or fire it head on when the F-14 pilot is expecting you to go for guns, etc.

As always, we try it out and then decide on whether to keep them or not.

... another 2 weeks and I will get green light from the Doc to wear VR again.

What?! What's refraining you from doing that if I may ask?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

What?! What's refraining you from doing that if I may ask?

Been doing MMA bit too long and my nose has taken an occasional beating, so it was about time to fix it. I’m not allowed to wear anything heavy on my face, just until the initial healing has been done.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Been doing MMA bit too long and my nose has taken an occasional beating, so it was about time to fix it. I’m not allowed to wear anything heavy on my face, just until the initial healing has been done.

MMA, he says. So you can't wait for Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje I take it? I'm on fire for that fight! Why do you think I have a mission called Fight Island? :smilewink:

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

MMA, he says. So you can't wait for Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje I take it? I'm on fire for that fight! Why do you think I have a mission called Fight Island? :smilewink:

Khabib is an absolute Machine!! Will be epic :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ehh i've gunned them both. The tomcat is easier, it's a much bigger target. Yeah you can dominate the F-5 with power but man is it a slippery tiny bugger.Makes snap shooting it in a knife fight more tricky then you might think.

Is the R60m really much better then the R60? In my experience with both in the 21 i find the M only marginally better at defeating flares, and thats really the only difference I can tell between the 2. They are both all aspect. I know i've killed players head on with the R60.

Edited by CrazyGman

They are both all aspect. I know i've killed players head on with the R60.

No longer true, at least not since the most recent Fishbed rework. You can get tone on an afterburning F-5 that is approaching you head-on, but even assuming you launch the missile at the earliest possible moment it won't connect. This is why Alpen reinstated the R-60 in his missions but deliberately left out the R-60M, which does retain limited all-aspect capability. This goes in line with mission rules on CW - no all-aspect IR missiles are allowed.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

No longer true, at least not since the most recent Fishbed rework. You can get tone on an afterburning F-5 that is approaching you head-on, but even assuming you launch the missile at the earliest possible moment it won't connect. This is why Alpen reinstated the R-60 in his missions but deliberately left out the R-60M, which does retain limited all-aspect capability. This goes in line with mission rules on CW - no all-aspect IR missiles are allowed.

Sure you can. Cut your speed as you approach head on and it will connect. R60m behaves the same, too much speed and it will miss head on.

Also if no all aspect then why do tomcats get the Aim-9L? It's definetly all aspect. I got killed head on with it yesterday, and I just tested it myself head on flying the tomcat

Edited by CrazyGman

Ehh i've gunned them both. The tomcat is easier, it's a much bigger target. Yeah you can dominate the F-5 with power but man is it a slippery tiny bugger.Makes snap shooting it in a knife fight more tricky then you might think.

Is the R60m really much better then the R60? In my experience with both in the 21 i find the M only marginally better at defeating flares, and thats really the only difference I can tell between the 2. They are both all aspect. I know i've killed players head on with the R60.

The problem is that if you miss the 14, it will dominate you with both power and sustained turn performance. I would rather gunfight an F-5 any day of the week, they're relatively easy prey and once you figure out the ballistics on the GSh-23 it's not too bad. At best they can roll and jink around, so just hold your shot until they get tired of it or begin a sustained turn. Less experienced F-5 pilots are pretty easily conned into trying to keep up with a radius fight, which won't end well for them.

R-60 should no longer be able to turn enough to hit a head-on target unless they voluntarily fly into it. It had marginal all-aspect capability to begin with, now it should have none. I've yet to see one track a closing target since the patch.

Was a good run with the rear aspect missiles..

What do you all say about heading back to all aspect?

I'm in favour of keeping it this way.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation Search & Destroy:

- All aircraft are limited in numbers.

- Cmdr operators have access to more ground units, including FARP garrison vehicles.

- Weather slightly changed; Less clouds, less dust, warm but not too hot -> December.

- Mission will go online tonight.

* All missions will slowly have limited aircraft. The weapons are already limited in all missions as you know.

Updated briefing image for operation Search & Destroy:

7qq2jps.png

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments