Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Yeah, you totally misread that, I'm not pushing for any balance, I think that's rather Lazyseal's point in this discussion. I'm more for historical accuracy, but still acknowledging certain limitations set by DCS that require compromise here and there. I'm not going to repeat all this, I think I explained my point well enough, it's all there.

Understood. And as he said we lack lots of assets so historical accuracy is currently impossible, hence the compromise here and there as you know and mention yourself.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Correction for my past statement. Mi-24P can take 8 ATGMs it seems.

Yup.

shturm_grand.jpg

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

That's what this thread is for. You can share your thoughts regarding the missions or the server any time you want. And no, you're not annoying me with it.

The R-73's shouldn't be there. That's my bad.

The R-60M's should only be at Maykop and only because 2 x R-27's vs 6 x AIM-7F's is simply not fair. So I add the R-60M's and now the F-14 is having the disadvantage. And to counter that I then would need to add the AIM-9L's. That would piss off the Fulcrum (maybe) so the R-73's are the answer. However, the R-73's are way better than the 9L's. I knew this was going to happen. It was only a matter of time until players started realising how fair or unfair things are. And now you figured the thing out with the ships. You see why I was always against adding 4+ gen planes to the server? I gave it a try for months now (and still do) to kind of - as I always say - break the routine. You know, spice it up. New challenges. And I might keep it that way for a little while longer. In fact, a new mission is in the making (Syria map) and might have MiG-29's and F-14B's. The latter taking off from the Stennis. But then again, the problem is with the weapons.

The R-73's will be removed from Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed.

I'll try and figure out something for the anti-ship objective.

Lazzyseal is already testing the missile.

I actually really enjoy having the tomcat and the MiG 29s in the mix on some missions (course the 29 is my favorite plane so I'm a bit biased) I do think the limited numbers are important and I think letting the Mig 29's take R27R and R60m, while the tomcats get there sparrows, and aim 9L can work, just have a few less CATS then 29s to balance it out, since the MiGs have less range and less radar guided missles. It does mean that there is a chance that the misson can snowball a bit but even with 3rd gen planes that can still be the case.

@ _Firefly and P61:

I read the posts on the Mi-24P thread and yes, we know already she can carry 8 ATGM's. The thing is, that doesn't mean the DCS Mi-24P is surely going to carry 8 too. Just like the DCS Ka-50 when released no air-to-air capabilities and still nothing. And only after 10 years or so they're finally working on it. So let's wait and see if it's 4 or 8 missiles, multicrew or not, etc.

@ CrazyGman:

That's an old post you replied to and things have changed quite a bit ever since :P

The R-73's were removed long time ago. The MiG-29 is included in 3 missions and only in 1 without R-60M's because it shares the same airbase as the MiG-21. The Tomcats have their AIM-9L's and in 1 mission the AIM-7M's already. More will follow. Furthermore, it's mostly more MiG-29's than F-14's and in "small" numbers only.

@ ustio:

I rarely fly any Blue planes so I'll have to investigate and see what you're talking about, but I think I know what you mean.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Calling the 21's visibility bad, wash your mouth out young man. Better rear vis than the F-5 by far, just get used to the MiG dance to keep track of people as they pass behind the canopy bow :lol:

Compared to the F-5 it is. Just stating facts. Doesn't mean I'm not comfortable in my MiG-21. And I love the periscope! That thing saved my life countless times. I didn't mean to insult my favourtie plane ever, how could I :)

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Seems like the server is offline/has some problems, not showing up in the list.

Server's back up.

The latest patch seems to cause a lot of crashes. It's the sixth crash so far...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

The latest patch seems to cause a lot of crashes. It's the sixth crash so far...

I had a lot of troubles yesterday trying to enter the server, DCS crashed 4 times before i could enter. Great move on the limited airframes Alpen, it gives a lot of meaning to surviving and repairing our war horses.

• ED Translators

Server's back up.

Try to disable "Windows error reporting service" on server machine. So far works on server I've tried that, no more crashes, but I'm not sure they will not appear..

AKA LazzySeal

Try to disable "Windows error reporting service" on server machine. So far works on server I've tried that, no more crashes, but I'm not sure they will not appear..

I tried that yesterday and still the server crashed today 15 minutes into the mission Open Range. Very weird. I sent a report to ED with a log file attached.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

@ ustio:

I rarely fly any Blue planes so I'll have to investigate and see what you're talking about, but I think I know what you mean.

most airfield in russia(north of caucacus) doesn't have TACAN. Which makes it difficult for blue plane to Navigate if you don't know the map.

Adding portable TACAN would help a bit

most airfield in russia(north of caucacus) doesn't have TACAN. Which makes it difficult for blue plane to Navigate if you don't know the map.

Adding portable TACAN would help a bit

C'mon man! You have a compass, you have a map, you even have the shining sun. What do you need more to navigate? :smilewink:

• Like 1

Server News:

There was a hotfix today for Open Beta that seems to have fixed the server's crashing issue. It also includes the fixing for the exaggerated reflection of moonlight. I will put the mission One Night in Arabia tomorrow to see how that goes. Hopefully spotting at close ranges becomes easier that way and hard at far distances. The way it's supposed to be, I believe.

* The warehouses are fine :)

EDIT:

The Su-25's were also fixed.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hey alpen, what do you think about adding Rapier (used also by Iran) or Roland SAM systems for Blue, seeing how bad hawk system is (and 4 crates required?!, lol, i flew with my buddy in Mi8 one time and managed to deploy 4 Sa6 sites in the same time...). They are NATO equipment and were historically used in Cold war, so I think they can be nice addition to game.

Secondly, I total agree with SRS mandatory thing. Frankly I would add GIANT welcome msg in briefing and when you spawn, greeting you and screaming at you that SRS is mandatory and you will be kicked if you dont have it. While this policy will hurt some numbers, I think its necessary. Your amazing server is the most hardcore open-for-all server in DCS, so having SRS being mandatory should reflect that. I also noticed, that while sometimes there is noone on it, other times its one of the most popular servers, competing with BlueFlag or GS servers, which is much better than 95% of other servers. I would say that this indication alone is that you Alphen found jackpot of mission design many people were looking for. Maybe adding second frequency for "other languages" (Mainly thinking of russian) is all whats needed to fix the problem for now.

When it comes to Fighter to Fighter F-14 datalink

I think I figured out why this doesn't work on the Cold War server. I did some testing with Fenrir using the Cold War server mission, and we couldn't get F2F working until I created a group of Tomcats in the same unit. So UNIT 1 of 2 for example. That allowed us to use F2F even without the SATNAV (as it should). I haven't checked Blug Flag mission out to see if their Tomcats are part of the same group or something, but I'm going to guess they are.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...mp#post7131056

@The_Tau

Thanks for the kind words.

I always say this: I'm not competing with other servers. In fact, throughout my years in DCS I learned things from servers like the good old 104th_Phoenix, BuddySpike (BlueFlag) and TAW. I reached out to the admins and had some help in the beginning in the ME and still do from different users on ED's forums. It's good to see servers with different setups out there. The WWll guys seem to be doing well too. And I couldn't resist the second the MiG-21 was released, hence the CW server. So I don't see it as a competition. I'm doing my own thing and happy to do it regardless of how many servers are out there.

The idea with the SAM units you talked about sounds good. However, I rarely see Red planes harassing Blue FARP's as much as Blue does it for Red. And by the way that's allowed before any discussions erupt :smilewink: And how could Blue resist while having fast strikers such as the Viggen and sometimes Harrier? I added the SAM SA-15 Tor (mainly around Red FARP's) to strengthen the defence line against such sudden and blitz-like attacks. And I see that quite often while doing GCI. So there's that reason for adding the Tor. Not sure why the SAM units you talked about are necessary though. Maybe I'm overlooking something?

I'll check out the CTLD script again and see if it's possible for the Hawk crates to be reduced down to 2. If someone knows already how to do it, please let me know.

I don't own the F-14, so you guys need to test that issue with the F-to-F datalink. Test it well, please, before I make any changes in the missions.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

The mission Two Towns seems to cause problems still. Last night the server crashed 2 hours into the mission with 45+ players online. This morning I put the mission online again and it ran flawlessly. A total of 18 players joined. No idea why a mission crashes a server only when many players join when other missions don't have that problem. About 2 weeks ago we had ca. 50 players in a Syria mission and still the server ran without any problems. I'm afraid I'll have to remove Two Towns once and for all. One of my favourites -_-

As you know, UH-1's need 4 crates to set up a Hawk site, while Mi-8's 2 crates only for a KUB site. Just had a chat with Ciribob and he says it's impossible to reduce the 4 crates to 2 because that's how the Hawk is built as we know. I changed a couple of lines trying to "cheat" around it using 2 crates only and still it didn't work. Tried other lines and that simply didn't spawn anything. Ciribob's only solution to the problem is allowing KUB sites for both Red and Blue. Well, you know where I stand on that. Sorry, UH-1 pilots.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

The idea with the SAM units you talked about sounds good. However, I rarely see Red planes harassing Blue FARP's as much as Blue does it for Red. And by the way that's allowed before any discussions erupt :smilewink: And how could Blue resist while having fast strikers such as the Viggen and sometimes Harrier? I added the SAM SA-15 Tor (mainly around Red FARP's) to strengthen the defence line against such sudden and blitz-like attacks. And I see that quite often while doing GCI. So there's that reason for adding the Tor. Not sure why the SAM units you talked about are necessary though. Maybe I'm overlooking something?

It's possible that Blue strikers actually go for Red FARPS with A2G ordnance, but as a Blue helicopter pilot I can say with all certainty that Red MiGs also harrass Blue FARPs very frequently, the only difference being that they almost never carry A2G weapons. They do however attack the FARP installations with guns quite often and of course hunt down the helicopters, so there is no difference between Red and Blue there.

So now Red has the SA-15 Tor SAM system to defend the FARPs. It's a very late CW SAM system, but well... fine with me. 12km range according to Wikipedia. Maybe the SA-8 (10km range and more mid-CW) would be more fitting?

Server News:

As you know, UH-1's need 4 crates to set up a Hawk site, while Mi-8's 2 crates only for a KUB site. Just had a chat with Ciribob and he says it's impossible to reduce the 4 crates to 2 because that's how the Hawk is built as we know. I changed a couple of lines trying to "cheat" around it using 2 crates only and still it didn't work. Tried other lines and that simply didn't spawn anything. Ciribob's only solution to the problem is allowing KUB sites for both Red and Blue. Well, you know where I stand on that. Sorry, UH-1 pilots.

That's why The_Tau suggested to add the Rapier or the Roland SAM system to give Blue helicopter pilots something easier/faster to work with. As you know the Huey is slower than the Mi-8, so it already is at a disadvantage, and when you look at the four vs. two crates issue, it's even more significant. Rapier and Roland have ranges around 6km according to Wikipedia, so they are inferior in that regard to the SA-6, SA-8 and SA-15. I'm just mentioning this to take away the fear that Blue would get any unfair advantage when adding these systems.

The SA-15 is mid 70's. Even the SA-19 (Tunguska) is around that time. Excluding both (mainly the Tunguska) is because they're difficult to defeat. However, that's not an argument one might say. "It's not Red's fault they have such good air defences", right? Well, I was hoping all these years for the bloody F-4 to arrive eventually and with that Blue would have some SEAD capabilities and then add the Tor and/or maybe other SAM units. Which is why I was reluctant to add the "heavy" SAM units.

Forget about Wiki though, the ranges in DCS is what matters. I'll have to run some tests and see how the SA-8 behaves compared to the SA-15. But you also and everyone who's interested can run quick tests like that. The more feedback the better.

The A-7 is on the way. By that I mean it's going to be available before the F-4, I think, and it has SEAD capabilities (AGM-45 Shrikes - latest versions can also carry the AGM-88). And then I'll spice it up a bit with SAM units.

I'm adding the Su-25T back in many missions as announced last week. The actual reason is because Red needs some proper CAS aircraft. I'm aware of its SEAD capabilities too. However, I only give it 12 -MPU missiles to emphasize its CAS role. So adding the Rapier and/or Roland might be alright after all if the the Su-25T's HARM missiles are increased in numbers.

Anyways, testing is the key. The more people test the more appropriately I can add these units to the missions and see how they fit.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

The SA-15 is mid 70's. Even the SA-19 (Tunguska) is around that time.

No way. Look at introduction into active service dates, not when development started. SA-15 and SA-19 are definitely mid-1980s systems, and even then they were only introduced in small numbers, so their impact on your missions should be weighed extra-critically - also with the severe limitations of non-existing Blue SEAD capability on your server.

Excluding both (mainly the Tunguska) is because they're difficult to defeat. However, that's not an argument one might say. "It's not Red's fault they have such good air defences", right?
Right, but again, these are mid-80s SAMs. Given what we have as planes, helicopters and ground units on your server, they don't really fit into your scheme. I know it's difficult to work with what DCS offers you as a mission builder, but you get into a vicious circle if you stray from history and try to balance unhistorically here, there and everywhere. My suggestion: Take away the Harrier, emphasize that the DCS MiG-21 has a (totally unrealistic) CCIP pipper and can in fact drop bombs very well, and there you go - the field is historically balanced - no need for a uber SA-15/19.

Forget about Wiki though, the ranges in DCS is what matters. I'll have to run some tests and see how the SA-8 behaves compared to the SA-15. But you also and everyone who's interested can run quick tests like that. The more feedback the better.

Will do :thumbup:

Houston, we have a problem - server is down, I repeat, server is down!

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U