Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Server News:

Operation Search & Destroy:

- AIM-7M's were removed. AIM-7F's and AIM-9L's are still available. The latter's amount reduced by 25%.

NOTE:

Is there a script that forces F-14A pilots to have a human RIO otherwise they wont be able to fly? If there is, please let me know.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

3 hours ago, Pilot Ike said:

Can't you just substitute the F-14 with the Mirage 2000? That might be a better match for the MiG-29.

Idk, F14 requires much more skill to fly, while M2k flies itself. 

I feel that M2k would score much more kills than F14, by average pilots. M2k have better close range radar, Super 530s are arguably best semi active in its class and Magics are awesome dog fighting missiles

Edited by The_Tau

Server News:

Operation Sukhumi - The Beginning:

- Added 2 x MiG-21 slots.

- Added 2 x F-5 slots.

- Instead of 4 x P-51D slots at Sochi-Adler airbase it's now 2 x P-51D slots at Gudauta airbase.

- Added 4 x Shilkas at Sukhumi-Babushara airbase.

- Added 4 x Vulcans at Gudauta airbase.

- First briefing image updated.

Work on a new mission has started:

- Red operates from Sochi-Adler airbase.

- Blue operates from Maykop-Khanskaya airbase.

- Early Cold War stages - Similar units as the mission Sukhumi - The Beginning.

- Similar scenario to the old mission Whispers & Whistles with significant changes and updates included.

- Less focus on ground battles (Combined Arms). More on strike missions and aerial fights.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Hey there,

This might be slightly off topic, however I feel this is something that needs to be raised for the benefit of the CW community. As an Australian I can pretty much only play if I wish to wreck my sleep schedule and jump on the server around 3-6am for peak time traffic. This obviously makes it fustrating as I want to play with others but it would be at a compromise for my sanity and sleep cycle.  I have seen many fellow Australians and New Zealanders on the server during its peak times and even when its not so populated, so I know it isnt just me. 

I was thinking that If you were to make a discord for the server specifically, (like many other servers have done) It would be a good way to get into effective communication with others to show that there is intrest in playing at a specific time that may suit both parties. For example this could be done via a Nationality or Timezone role where people can "@" a role and alert members. Not only would it provide a benefit in these regards, but aswell as bringing all the pilots even closer and tightning up the community!

Just some food for thought,

Jazz

Edited by Jazz

18 hours ago, Pilot Ike said:

Can't you just substitute the F-14 with the Mirage 2000? That might be a better match for the MiG-29.

The 14 replaced the Mirage because the Mirage's fly-by-wire is absolute god tier and allows it to fly circles around every other aircraft on the server, without even trying. In terms of armament it's a pretty decent counterpart to the 29, but the FBW is just too good. The 29 can perform some reasonably similar feats but requires perfect airmanship to do it (and a very well dialled-in rudder axis), and none of the other aircraft can really follow what the Mirage can do, not even the 21.

The M2K when it was on the server was easy mode, even restricted to Magics only and could still fight comfortably when down to guns. The only real threat was if you got smacked by an unexpected head-on R-3R or if a MiG got very lucky with an R-60.

We really need the 23 and F1 😔

Edited by rossmum

6 hours ago, Jazz said:

Hey there,

This might be slightly off topic, however I feel this is something that needs to be raised for the benefit of the CW community. As an Australian I can pretty much only play if I wish to wreck my sleep schedule and jump on the server around 3-6am for peak time traffic. This obviously makes it fustrating as I want to play with others but it would be at a compromise for my sanity and sleep cycle.  I have seen many fellow Australians and New Zealanders on the server during its peak times and even when its not so populated, so I know it isnt just me. 

I was thinking that If you were to make a discord for the server specifically, (like many other servers have done) It would be a good way to get into effective communication with others to show that there is intrest in playing at a specific time that may suit both parties. For example this could be done via a Nationality or Timezone role where people can "@" a role and alert members. Not only would it provide a benefit in these regards, but aswell as bringing all the pilots even closer and tightning up the community!

Just some food for thought,

Jazz

Hey,

Discord has been discussed quite often here and my answer has always been no. From what I hear and gather from all those who use Discord it gets quite often ugly on comms with players lashing at each other, annoying others with off-topic matters and most of all it discourages the use of SRS. The latter being my own analysis on what effects Discord could have on the server/community. Every time I ask people why they don't use TeamSpeak the common answer is: "On TeamSpeak you can't share files, pictures, videos, etc."... among other features. Well, that's exactly the reason why it tends to be so toxic at times on Discord.

I use the TeamSpeak channel of the 104th squadron. And I had my own for about a month some years ago. Then I thought, why start a new channel if I could have a Cold War sub-channel where other players already meet. The 104th TeamSpeak channel has different lounges for different squadrons too. You could have your own sub-channel and call it whatever you want and you're instantly assigned as its admin so you could edit things and move players in or out if needed be. I could announce that here on the very first page of this thread if you want for others to see.

I'm always on TeamSpeak when online so if you want that or talk about other things just poke me.

On the other hand, if someone really feels the need for a Discord channel then please, go ahead and start one. In your case a special one for Australians and New Zealanders. And I could announce that too. Or start a Facebook group for it or whatever is out there for that matter. I myself keep away from all these social media platforms ever since they came out. The ED forums are the only place where I'm active and only for DCS purposes.

Don't get me wrong, please, it's just that I'm not really into Discord. And if I'd do that I'd have to dedicate more time for it monitoring everything and making sure it runs properly with no or less bad issues going on. And for that I frankly haven't got the time, mate.

The word is the TeamSpeak developers are going to release an update that will change a lot of things in it. I can only hope it doesn't turn into some Discord type of a thing.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation Homs:

- All MiG-21's start at Bassel Al-Assad airbase. However, they can RTB to Hama airbase and leave their aircraft at Hama. Only then reserve slots for the MiG-21's become available.

- Briefing and the first briefing image updated.

- Put most ground units in groups. Cmdr operators no longer need to assign waypoints for each and every unit separately.

Operation Fight Island:

- Put most ground units in groups. Cmdr operators no longer need to assign waypoints for each and every unit separately.

Operation Open Range:

- No more snow. It's autumn.

* Work on the new mission is almost done (a couple of days).

* Rework on operation When The Mountains Cry has started.

* Rework on operation Phone Booth will start after.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

1 hour ago, Alpenwolf said:

Server News:

That's positive and negative together. It initially reduces the workload, but it also makes ground units go crazy once you leave them as a driver, because they want to get back to their unit. You can't put them into good defensive positions that way, for example. I liked it better the other way, being able to control every ground unit individually.

Different issue: Did you make EWRs indestructible?

For Fight Island specifically it's a good move. You need a lot of things moving on that mission and unless someone very dedicated hops into the commander slot, the mission tends to turn into a bit of a mess as some units are moved up and others are left way back at the far end of the island.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:57 PM, Alpenwolf said:

A NEW MISSION HAS ARRIVED!!!

Operation: Sukhumi - The Beginning

* The mission will go online tonight around 1900 zulu. (In fact, it depends on whether we receive the update today or not)

* The mission features the early stages of the Cold War.

* Therefore, no IR SAM's and no SAM batteries.

* Dozens of AAA units including flak at the airbases instead.

* R-55's and GAR-8's only. Note that MiG-21's carry 2 x R-55's and only on the inner pylons.

* WWll tanks and APC's included.

* T-55's would be too much to handle, so instead Red has German tanks.

* Should we receive the update today, more Red WWll units will be added. Hopefully on time.

* No helicopters this time. Wish we had the Mi-2 or -4 or -6 and their Blue counterparts.

* I-16's and P-51's included in small numbers.

Situation:

Red airbases: Senaki-Kolkhi and Sukhumi-Babushara
Blue airbases: Sochi-Adler and Gudauta

World War ll has come to an end! The East and the West continue to lay more and more pressure and sanctions on each other. New war machines entering series production and the only question is, who will endure?

The city of Sukhumi connects vital highways alongside the coast line between the southern parts of the Caucasus region all the way to the northwestern parts of it. The two airbases of Gudauta (west of Sukhumi city) and Sukhumi-Babushara (east of Sukhumi city) are top priority airbases both coalitions seek to capture and hold. Red holds Sukhumi-Babushara airbase at mission's start while Blue holds Gudauta airbase. Red operates from Senaki-Kolkhi airbase mainly (only I-16's operate from Sukhumi-Babushara) while Blue operates from Sochi-Adler airbase.
All 4 airbases are protected by various AAA units including flak. No SAM's available. Tanks and APC's (WWll vehicles mainly) are evenly distributed alongside the coast line between Sukhumi-Baushara and Gudaua airbases.

* Winner is he who holds both Sukhumi-Babushara and Gudauta airbases!
* Helicopters are excluded from this mission.

Each coalition has two EWR's working on two different frequencies to match the different radio systems of the available aircraft. If an EWR is destroyed it is replaced by a new unit 5 minutes later. A total of 3 x EWR's per frequency, 6 per coalition.

NOTE:
If a GCI operator is available, make sure you contact him and provide your assistance to wherever help is needed the most.
Teamwork is the key so make sure you stay on comms with other players even if a GCI operator is not available.

Check out the radio frequencies for comms below.

=====================================================================================

RED Objectives:

Important Notes:

All aircraft (except for I-16's) operate from Senaki-Kolkhi airbase. That means pilots must always RTB to Senaki and park their aircraft safely (not on the runway!) before they leave the slot. Doing so saves the aircraft and makes it available again for tasking.

There are reserve slots for all aircraft at Sukhumi-Babushara airbase, however, no available aircraft yet (except for I-16's). That means if a pilot MUST land at Sukhumi airbase (low on fuel, damaged, etc.) the reserve slot becomes available should he land safely and park his aircraft (not on the runway!) before leaving the slot. In other words, that aircraft is transferred from Senaki-Kolkhi to Sukhumi-Babushara airbase.

Note that pilots MUST always RTB to Senaki to avoid landing at the hot and risky zone of Sukhumi but ONLY if they have to.

I-16's operate from Sukhumi-Babushara airbase ONLY! That means they must always RTB to Sukhumi.

R-55's are available and only 2 can be carried on the inner pylons of the MiG-21.
The enemy has GAR-8 missiles.

*******************************************************************************************************

Air superiority is the key!

Search and destroy enemy fighters around Sukhumi city! Once air superiority is gained, a small number of pilots is required to perform CAS and help our advancing ground units capture Gudauta airbase.

Make sure you coordinate your attacks with the GCI operator if available, otherwise with other pilots on comms.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Combined Arms:

The 2 cmdr slots are for players controlling ground units while being on SRS with each other and other players to coordinate their attacks.
You MUST be on SRS as a cmdr operator!
The JTAC slots are mainly for players who want to check out the situation quickly, provide GCI for a group of people or preferably everyone. In addition, you can use the JTAC slot to drive a ground unit. However, the latter requires you being on comms with cmdr operators to avoid confusion and/or causing problems to their attacks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequencies:

EWR / GCI: 124 MHz, channel 0 for MiG-21's. Channel 2 for MiG-19's.
EWR-MiG-15 (callsign: 15): 4.95 MHz (tuned in by default)

GCI operators focus mainly on aircraft operating on 124 MHz. MiG-15 pilots will have to stick with their EWR mainly and contact the GCI operator via teamchat and hope he manages to provide BRAA's for them on their frequency.
Working on 2 different frequencies can be stressing for the GCI operator so MiG-15's shouldn't expect him to reply. It's up to the operator.

=====================================================================================

BLUE Objectives:

Important Notes:

All aircraft operate from Sochi-Adler airbase. That means pilots must always RTB to Sochi and park their aircraft safely (not on the runway!) before they leave the slot. Doing so saves the aircraft and makes it available again for tasking.

There are reserve slots for all aircraft at Gudauta airbase, however, no available aircraft yet. That means if a pilot MUST land at Gudauta airbase (low on fuel, damaged, etc.) the reserve slot becomes available should he land safely and park his aircraft (not on the runway!) before leaving the slot. In other words, that aircraft is transferred from Sochi-Adler to Gudauta airbase.

Note that pilots MUST always RTB to Sochi to avoid landing at the hot and risky zone of Gudauta but ONLY if they have to.

GAR-8 missiles are available.
The enemy has R-55 missiles.

*******************************************************************************************************

Air superiority is the key!

Search and destroy enemy fighters around Sukhumi city! Once air superiority is gained, a small number of pilots is required to perform CAS and help our advancing ground units capture Sukhumi-Babushara airbase.

Make sure you coordinate your attacks with the GCI operator if available, otherwise with other pilots on comms.
Combined Arms:

The 2 cmdr slots are for players controlling ground units while being on SRS with each other and other players to coordinate their attacks.
You MUST be on SRS as a cmdr operator!
The JTAC slots are mainly for players who want to check out the situation quickly, provide GCI for a group of people or preferably everyone. In addition, you can use the JTAC slot to drive a ground unit. However, the latter requires you being on comms with cmdr operators to avoid confusion and/or causing problems to their attacks.
Frequencies:

EWR / GCI: 251 MHz - Callsign: Axeman
EWR for P-51's: 130 MHz, button A - Callsign: Mantis

GCI operators focus mainly on aircraft operating on 251 MHz. P-51 pilots will have to stick with their EWR mainly and contact the GCI operator via teamchat and hope he manages to provide BRAA's for them on their frequency.
Working on 2 different frequencies can be stressing for the GCI operator so P-51's shouldn't expect him to reply. It's up to the operator.

briefing image.png

sukhumi city.png

Awesome work alpen. This is the the sort of mission i've been waiting for no SAM, and i hope no guided munition aswell so only dumb bombs and rockets.

Oh just my opinion, your thought about discord is wrong, yes theres a bunch a people that discuss uneccesarry stuff but most of those happens on a popullar server like the official ED server and popullar multiplayer server.

Not many people are interested in CW server so you want have to many bad apples if you make one and i guarantee there will be less discussion so you wont missed any of them , and besides you can have mods to control the server and you can just checked discord see whats up and leave the rest to the mods.

20 hours ago, Pilot Ike said:

That's positive and negative together. It initially reduces the workload, but it also makes ground units go crazy once you leave them as a driver, because they want to get back to their unit. You can't put them into good defensive positions that way, for example. I liked it better the other way, being able to control every ground unit individually.

Different issue: Did you make EWRs indestructible?

I'm aware of that. However, the workload is becoming very tedious. You just need to adapt and not take a single unit too far away from its group. Besides, units are currently put in 2 and 4 units groups. Time will tell what's more appropriate.

EWR's are destructible still.

13 hours ago, ustio said:

Awesome work alpen. This is the the sort of mission i've been waiting for no SAM, and i hope no guided munition aswell so only dumb bombs and rockets.

Oh just my opinion, your thought about discord is wrong, yes theres a bunch a people that discuss uneccesarry stuff but most of those happens on a popullar server like the official ED server and popullar multiplayer server.

Not many people are interested in CW server so you want have to many bad apples if you make one and i guarantee there will be less discussion so you wont missed any of them , and besides you can have mods to control the server and you can just checked discord see whats up and leave the rest to the mods.

The workload that comes with Discord is yet another issue as I'm not familiar with it, regardless of how easy it is to get into it. Mods, monitoring, then this then that, etc. Every tiny little issue added to my to-do list is not tiny to me and certainly not this one. Maybe in time. Who knows. And I did say that TeamSpeak will eventually receive an update that will change lots of things to the extent it might push me into using yet another application. Not now though.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

As hilarious as the I-16 is, don't forget - you can add 109s as stand-ins for Czech Avia S-99s on red. A lot of European future NATO nations also still flew Spit IXs at the time. Looking forwards to trying out the new mission when I get home.

If only we had three factions as an option in DCS, there was also a particularly interesting engagement in the late 40s where RAF Spit 22s operating from Ramat David got bombed by Egyptian Spit IXs which also ended up tussling with Israeli Spit IXs... 🤣

8 hours ago, rossmum said:

As hilarious as the I-16 is, don't forget - you can add 109s as stand-ins for Czech Avia S-99s on red. A lot of European future NATO nations also still flew Spit IXs at the time. Looking forwards to trying out the new mission when I get home.

If only we had three factions as an option in DCS, there was also a particularly interesting engagement in the late 40s where RAF Spit 22s operating from Ramat David got bombed by Egyptian Spit IXs which also ended up tussling with Israeli Spit IXs... 🤣

The 109's are an option for sure. As confirmed by Kate, there will be no Soviet WWll planes any time soon.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

8 hours ago, ustio said:

Is there a reason why mig-19 doesn't get A2A missile in "Operation Sukhumi- The Beginning" ? It's basically Carbon copy of GAR-8?

Presumably because then the MiG-21s would use them all up, four at a time. The R-3S modification for the 19P also came quite late and wasn't all that common, and we don't have a PM to lob RS-2U beam riders at things.

17 hours ago, rossmum said:

Presumably because then the MiG-21s would use them all up, four at a time. The R-3S modification for the 19P also came quite late and wasn't all that common, and we don't have a PM to lob RS-2U beam riders at things.

+1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation Sukhumi - The Beginning:

- Instead of I-16's it's Bf-109's for Red. Doesn't look like anyone even owns the I-16.

- 2 x MiG-15 and 2 x F-86 slots were added. The number of the available aircraft didn't change though.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

2 hours ago, Brown Floyd said:

Found a bug on Street Fight: the first C-101 listed spawns in the air 3000 feet over the airfield.

Fixed. Thanks for reporting.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

11 hours ago, Mauritz said:

Which LOTATC version is the server running? unable to connect with 2.1.6

LotAtc doesn't work on the Cold War server so I stopped paying attention to it. I know that many people would love to have it but it's been such a pain in the ass and I can't figure out why it doesn't work. Frustrating.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hey, just curious if you have ever considered putting mods like the A4 Skyhawk on the server? This would ofcourse be once the airframe has had its EFM upgrade and handles more accurately and reasonable. I think it would be a great addition to the server and could contribute greatly to specific roles such as SEAD with the anti radiation and air to ground capabilities it carries. 

This could present certain difficulties to implement such content in the server. Everyone would have to have the mod downloaded and the correct version, aswell as making sure everyone knows what mod to get and how to get it etc. This raises the question of the possiblity of maybe a second Cold War server with mods enabled (similar to what Aerobatics Online has done). This is just a thought, and I think many could apprectiate it aswell. Would be awesome to see a PvP server with these bad boys in action. 

-Jazz

Edited by Jazz

49 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Hey, just curious if you have ever considered putting mods like the A4 Skyhawk on the server? This would ofcourse be once the airframe has had its EFM upgrade and handles more accurately and reasonable. I think it would be a great addition to the server and could contribute greatly to specific roles such as SEAD with the anti radiation and air to ground capabilities it carries. 

This could present certain difficulties to implement such content in the server. Everyone would have to have the mod downloaded and the correct version, aswell as making sure everyone knows what mod to get and how to get it etc. This raises the question of the possiblity of maybe a second Cold War server with mods enabled (similar to what Aerobatics Online has done). This is just a thought, and I think many could apprectiate it aswell. Would be awesome to see a PvP server with these bad boys in action. 

-Jazz

This has been discussed quite often and you've figured it out yourself; it would require every player to download the mod and be up to date with it. Can't do it. Having two servers would split the Cold War community in half or so. Besides, it's a lot of work and money involved in hosting another server. I run things in DCS alone and I honestly prefer it that way. Can't pour more hours into it.

Wasn't it confirmed by ED that the A-4 will eventually become a module? I think I've heard or read that some time ago. Can't be sure though.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments