Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

18 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

Is it just to look at the same area? What do you mean by that? I'd rather have no smoke and nothing really that could notify the enemy of the road base. So what exactly is the purpose of the smoke?

I.E when there is a road base in an area where the description I can create from the f-10 view could easily be mistaken depending on peoples interpretations. This can lead to people landing on roads only a few 100m away but getting stuck in the mud.

Smoke is not ideal, I agree a giant marker on your base is probably not the greatest idea. Ground vehicles have the option to launch an infinite amount of flares that last about 10 seconds and are easily visible to pilots within 10km. The ideal use is to get the pilot close and looking in the right direction then launch a few flares to easily confirm the exact position

57 minutes ago, CAPT_Kirkpatrick said:

I.E when there is a road base in an area where the description I can create from the f-10 view could easily be mistaken depending on peoples interpretations. This can lead to people landing on roads only a few 100m away but getting stuck in the mud.

Smoke is not ideal, I agree a giant marker on your base is probably not the greatest idea. Ground vehicles have the option to launch an infinite amount of flares that last about 10 seconds and are easily visible to pilots within 10km. The ideal use is to get the pilot close and looking in the right direction then launch a few flares to easily confirm the exact position

True. On the other hand, there are always units and some structures at road bases for exactly that purpose apart from enabling rearming and refueling of course. And a truck driving around could also drag attention while driving around with clouds of dust behind him. I know the casual DCS player, mate. Besides, I always write in the briefing that pilots must RTB to an airbase rather than the road base, except for the Viggens and only in the mission When The Mountains Cry where briefing images are attached showing the whereabouts of that particular road base. If a player however chooses to RTB to the road base then I'd expect him to be experienced enough to do so.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Have to agree with Kirk. I've lost a 21 airframe before because I had to make an emergency landing and time pressure left me guessing which of the two identical stretches of road was the base. I rolled to a stop about 5km along the same road, and with no engine, couldn't just taxi the remaining distance to refuel and then fly home.

41 minutes ago, Zachrix said:

The issue with a road base is people will do this: yes that is an RB-74 on a Viggen. We need that shit BALANCED 

283ef4cc61bcb53ffbdd0d7850d5bf87.png

I don't think it has to do anything with the road base itself, more likely that the weapons inventory have been bugged or the RB74 ticked by mistake. 

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

25 minutes ago, NELLUS said:

I don't think it has to do anything with the road base itself, more likely that the weapons inventory have been bugged or the RB74 ticked by mistake. 

Oh no, this was definitely no mistake, the warehouse on the road base does not account for RB-74s (Same thing occurred with FARPs and Harriers taking AIM9M). Later (my last sortie) I got killed by head-on by an RB-74 so all that is to be done is to warehouse the road base.

2 hours ago, Zachrix said:

Oh no, this was definitely no mistake, the warehouse on the road base does not account for RB-74s (Same thing occurred with FARPs and Harriers taking AIM9M). Later (my last sortie) I got killed by head-on by an RB-74 so all that is to be done is to warehouse the road base.

I see no issue 🙂 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zachrix said:

The warehouse at a Farp is fully controllable by the game architect. I’m sure this will be amended. 

Edited by NELLUS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Alpenwolf, I know it’s kinda early but do you already have some kind of concepts for the Mig23 in mind? Like roles, restrictions, count in general, replacing some of the others and so on?

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

15 hours ago, Conker4 said:

I see no issue 🙂 

You really wanna keep pushing, huh?! You know it's rear aspect only in all missions! Obviously it's some bug and you just couldn't resist exploiting yet another one! You think I've got nothing better to do other than going back to the ME just to clean behind you every now and then?!

Banned for a week. If the automatic unbanning doesn't work let me know via pm.

1 hour ago, Atelophobia said:

Alpenwolf, I know it’s kinda early but do you already have some kind of concepts for the Mig23 in mind? Like roles, restrictions, count in general, replacing some of the others and so on?

Future plans are plans I basically keep to myself. That's all I can say.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

A couple of things I need to know about the Viggen, please:

1- How many waypoints can be stored in its navigation system?

2- If placed on a road base, does it feel different when taking off or landing? I keep testing that in the MiG-21 and... well, the MiG-21 is shaky as hell even on runways! How is it with the Viggen?

3- Say you take 4 x Mavericks and 2 x RB-24/J missiles. How long must that road be?

4- If there is no junction or side roads to use for turning around, is that a problem?

Thanks in advance!

Another issue is operation Ossetia. Was it difficult for Blue strikers yesterday to take out the TA's? What were the major challenges? SAM's? Too many MiG's?

Again, thanks for all the replies. Truly appreciated and very helpful!

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

49 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

2- If placed on a road base, does it feel different when taking off or landing? I keep testing that in the MiG-21 and... well, the MiG-21 is shaky as hell even on runways! How is it with the Viggen?

3- Say you take 4 x Mavericks and 2 x RB-24/J missiles. How long must that road be?

4- If there is no junction or side roads to use for turning around, is that a problem?

Thanks in advance!

Another issue is operation Ossetia. Was it difficult for Blue strikers yesterday to take out the TA's? What were the major challenges? SAM's? Too many MiG's?

1) 9 normal navigation points, and also has take off base, landing base and alternative landing base (there are more waypoints but these are the normal navigational ones)

2) It is pretty drama free apart from keeping it straight down the road.

3) Unsure in meters, but zone 3 with a brake start can be as short as 1/3 or 1/2 of your typical runway like Kutaisi with a lighter, undraggy loadout (a full set of bombs is a lot drag)

4) Nope.

Edited by Sideburns

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Believe its about 1600ft for a viggen is recommended length
Viggen is quite stable typically  its best if we got a 3 lane road or atleast two lanes with a shoulder for landing, taking off the two lanes is fine typically 

about the ossetia mission id say a 50% of it was too many MiGs, a bit of it was poor planning from the pilots, and the rest was front line was too far back, the F-5s were back at the mountains most the mission and theres not much support to pull MiGs away, and lastly EWR coverage was acting up it was showing all of them then suddenly bunch of people all over disappear almost as if it was bugging out

Edited by GeneralMav24

If there are no junctions you can literally just reverse, or do a 3-point turn. The only real challenge with road basing is making sure you stay on the road (narrow ones especially), and avoiding trees/streetlamps on approach. Despite the generally bumpy ground handling, the 21 can roadbase pretty competently too, you can stop it in ~500m if you really want to. You do need a turnaround point or wide road for it though.

The problems I had with Ossetia a few hours ago:

• None of the objectives had been completed by the time I joined, and there was I think one other Viggen working at the same time as me.
  • I don't know where our fighters were. I occasionally merged with F-5s, but judging by comms, our guys were not keen on flying over the mountains with MiG-29s crawling in the valleys. I don't know if the F-14 really offsets the 29 in this environment, at least not until the 29's IRST is substantially more realistic. The safest bet for them would be to fly high in lookdown, but without a good human RIO, that isn't going to work well against small targets in the mountains.
  • With so few attackers, and I'm not sure if the other guy was on comms but they were very cluttered anyway, it's not too hard to intercept a lone intruder with no fighter cover. Red seemed to have their side of the mountains completely locked down. I only made it to the pumping station a handful of times and landed a single rocket strike on target, every other time I died to SHORAD or fighters. Attacking the targets covered by the Kub sites was pointless as I couldn't even get to the "safer" ones.

I feel like the bigger fighters are a bit overkill on this one, it might work better without them.

Edited by rossmum

10 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Thanks in advance!

Road ops:

The Viggen is one very capable road runner, as long as the wheels stay of the grass. Main problem are electricity poles, which are an issue for the wide winged plane. 

The road that you have made available for road operations on the Catch me if you can mission is sufficient for all load-outs. There is only need for a turnaround road junction, or another straight stretch after the Farp. This way the plane can land, stop for rearming, and continue straight ahead for takeoff.

Ossetia:

Great mission, still one of my favourites. 
I was that other Viggen working on waypoint 5 and 3. 
Yesterday was more of a learning curve on how to deploy bombs and rockets correctly. I’m sure that there will be a better result next time. 
It would be great if there was a roadbase half way, due to the distances. By distances I mean that one has to stay low in the valleys to avoid the 29’s, which makes the way to the target much longer than the assigned straight line.
I do also agree that this mission, and some other ones, should get rid of the F14 & Mig29, they are overkill. 

SAM’s were pretty active around the Kutaisi training airport, waypoint 3. Got at least 3 SA2 launches together with AAA’s ones I popped up for the bomb run, which is pretty realistic. I would keep the SAM’s as they are. 

Any chance on grouping the target 5 buildings bit closer together, or reduce by 2 buildings? 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Server News:

* Operation Swedish Delivery:

- Warehouse at the road base - Fixed.

* Operation Ossetia:

- Removed 1 x SAM SA-6 site northeast of Senaki-Kolkhi airbase.

- Refinery Buildings are now closer to one another.

- Instead of 8 x MiG-29A's it's now 6.

- Instead of 8 x F-14A's it's now 10.

- Road base added.

- Electricity poles and streetlamps removed (the trigger for removing trees seems bugged -> reported to ED).

- Not many trees around the road base so no worries there.

- Road base marked for all Blue players on the F10 map. However, it's meant for Viggen pilots mainly.

- Viggen's waypoint-6 is the road base.

- Make sure you park next to the road base buildings to rearm and refuel.

- 1 x Avenger, 2 x Humvees and infantries at the road base.

- Mission goes online again tonight around 1730 zulu.

* I've tested the road base in the MiG-21 with a fuel tank, missiles and rockets onboard and it worked. Was tough but doable. I recon the AJS37 should have it easier.

* Again, thanks for all the replies and feedback. Very helpful!

road base 1.png

road base 2.png

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

12 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

Server News:

* Operation Swedish Delivery:

- Warehouse at the road base - Fixed.

* Operation Ossetia:

- Removed 1 x SAM SA-6 site northeast of Senaki-Kolkhi airbase.

- Refinery Buildings are now closer to one another.

- Instead of 8 x MiG-29A's it's now 6.

- Instead of 8 x F-14A's it's now 10.

- Road base added.

- Electricity poles and streetlamps removed (the trigger for removing trees seems bugged -> reported to ED).

- Not many trees around the road base so no worries there.

- Road base marked for all Blue players on the F10 map. However, it's meant for Viggen pilots mainly.

- Viggen's waypoint-6 is the road base.

- Make sure you park next to the road base buildings to rearm and refuel.

- 1 x Avenger, 2 x Humvees and infantries at the road base.

- Mission goes online again tonight around 1730 zulu.

* I've tested the road base in the MiG-21 with a fuel tank, missiles and rockets onboard and it worked. Was tough but doable. I recon the AJS37 should have it easier.

* Again, thanks for all the replies and feedback. Very helpful!

road base 1.png

road base 2.png

Looking forward to it 🤩

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

21 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

You really wanna keep pushing, huh?! You know it's rear aspect only in all missions! Obviously it's some bug and you just couldn't resist exploiting yet another one! You think I've got nothing better to do other than going back to the ME just to clean behind you every now and then?!

Banned for a week. If the automatic unbanning doesn't work let me know via pm.

Future plans are plans I basically keep to myself. That's all I can say.

I would advice adding to the briefing the kinds of weapons that can be used so that its clear what can be used

@Alpenwolf

In a mission we are currently running, two people in an A-10A are deliberately destroying a number of friendly vehicles; I'll submit the Tacview file later, but two people, "Captain America" and "PEPE 1-1", are completely ignoring warnings and repeatedly machine gunning friendly UH-1Hs. The FARP was almost destroyed. I can't hide my frustration.

• Like 1

Phantom Forever

F-4EJ / F-4EJ Kai 1971-2021

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use DeepL Translate. Well, I can speak Japanese.