Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

1 hour ago, The_Tau said:

My concern is lack of comms with rest of guys. Sometimes it good to talk/coordinate with other guys. So one preset for ewr and another to talk to others 😛

Yeah, you got a point. I'll check it out.

• Thanks 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

4 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

The P-51's have their own freq. just like MiG-15's. So you suggest this to have them all work on the same freq.? Because the EWR for these two exceptional radio devices (MiG-15 and P-51) does work actually if that's your concern?

As well as Tau's point about comms, it's also worth noting that the need for a second EWR results in the "AWACS bogey dope" shortcut sometimes picking the 'wrong' station, which can be a hassle under time pressure.

As for the SAMs, I'm actually impressed how badly the Iglas performed. I would've thought they'd at least be close to the Stinger, but maybe not. For its own part the Stinger is impact-fuzed and will usually miss a beaming target (DCS netcode makes it look like they hit when they actually don't, it's more obvious when you're controlling the Stinger/Avenger yourself as the hit detection is clientside for the firer I believe), but they're quite dangerous if they catch you unaware.

• Like 1

Server News:

The new mission Last Man Standing will go online tonight after the current mission Mountain Peaks including the changes and adjustments that were made.

Hope to see more players this time and especially balanced teams. Also, those who were online the first time realised how vital teamwork is in this mission so prepare your SRS.

See you online!

• Like 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Had a hell of a lot of fun today, including one of the best fights I've ever had. Per request (skip to about 8:48 if you don't want to see my PVO brain forget how bombs work) -

If you want to download the Tacview snippet of this fight, click here. I got extremely lucky that none of Yuval's rounds hit anything important.

Other observations: earlier while flying the Viggen to help blue out, one of our Chaparrals fired twice at a MiG-21 vaguely in the same area as me. Naturally, both missiles tracked me instead (going completely the opposite direction) and one ran out of energy just 10m from my aircraft. There were a few friendly fire incidents (including a MiG-21 killing a 19... how...?) and a lot of chaos. The mission ended up timing out but I would argue red had reestablished the upper hand towards the end. Good fun, played a lot better this time around.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rossmum said:

Had a hell of a lot of fun today, including one of the best fights I've ever had. Per request (skip to about 8:48 if you don't want to see my PVO brain forget how bombs work) -

If you want to download the Tacview snippet of this fight, click here. I got extremely lucky that none of Yuval's rounds hit anything important.

Other observations: earlier while flying the Viggen to help blue out, one of our Chaparrals fired twice at a MiG-21 vaguely in the same area as me. Naturally, both missiles tracked me instead (going completely the opposite direction) and one ran out of energy just 10m from my aircraft. There were a few friendly fire incidents (including a MiG-21 killing a 19... how...?) and a lot of chaos. The mission ended up timing out but I would argue red had reestablished the upper hand towards the end. Good fun, played a lot better this time around.

Fan-freakin'-tastic!

Man, if that had been me they would've fired all AIM-9's and landed all rounds...

I know my luck -__-

Not saying it was luck that got you the kills. Of course not!

Well fought!

Top notch!

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

* Check here for today's MiG-15 vs F-86 event on the KOREA! 1952 server.

* As announced some days ago, work on a new mission featuring the Mariana Islands map has started:

- It will be an exceptional mission featuring modern jets and aircraft carriers. Pretty much like operation Tiberias.

- China and Russia vs USA, France (SA342Mistrals) and Sweden (AJS37's).

- There will be some weapons restrictions.

- Blue invades, Red defends.

- Amphibious operations included. Blue APC's (AVV-7) crossing the waters between two islands (10 km distance). Chinese Mi-24's must stop them!

- Russia supports China through its navy: Su-33's and Ka-50's.

- No Mi-8's, no UH-1's => No transport tasking.

- So far, no ET's and no AMRAAM's. Only Su-33's have access to ER's and F-14B's have access to Phoenixes. The rest will have access to R's, T's and AIM-7M's.

- R-73's included. AIM-9M's included.

Russian Forces: Su-33's and Ka-50's.

Chinese Forces: J-11's, MiG-29S' (Though as Russian units due to limits in the ME but with Chinese skin), Chengdu J-7 (MiG-21's) and Mi-24's.

US Forces: F-14B's, F-18C's, F-15C's (once a certain island is captured), AV-8B's and A-10C's (once a certain island is captured).

French Forces: SA342Mistrals tasked with covering American APC's crossing the waters. Which means they hunt Hinds and maybe Ka-50's if...

Swedish Forces: AJS37's.

- I might add the Su-25 or Su-25T.

- Also, I might add the M-2000C to the French forces.

More details will be shared soon. As for now, hone your "navy skills" and practice some takeoffs and landings on carriers. We don't want to have aircraft crashing into carriers wasting assets so practice now instead on the server, please.

• Like 6

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

vor 12 Stunden schrieb rossmum:

Really nice flying @rossmum, i was the first F-5 you splashed, we were not able to get a shot on you, even with 3 F-5's around. Before you committed to me, you were on the other F-5, but everytime i want to take a shot you moved into the sun, lucky boy 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dagger 2-2 said:

Will you be using SC or standard carriers for the new mission ?

2 x Super Carrier for Blue. 1 x Kuznetsov for Red.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

34 minutes ago, Dagger 2-2 said:

I assume the Kuznetsov will be the SC version though.

I'm not aware of any SC Kuznetsov. Unless you mean the 2017 (remake) Kuznetsov? In that case, yes. It simply looks way better with more details onboard.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

35 minutes ago, reichenwald said:

It can't be used by non SC owners though.

I know but I recon all the navy enthusiastic players have the SC carriers. We'll see...

• Like 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

9 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Server News:

* Check here for today's MiG-15 vs F-86 event on the KOREA! 1952 server.

* As announced some days ago, work on a new mission featuring the Mariana Islands map has started:

- It will be an exceptional mission featuring modern jets and aircraft carriers. Pretty much like operation Tiberias.

- China and Russia vs USA, France (SA342Mistrals) and Sweden (AJS37's).

- There will be some weapons restrictions.

- Blue invades, Red defends.

- Amphibious operations included. Blue APC's (AVV-7) crossing the waters between two islands (10 km distance). Chinese Mi-24's must stop them!

- Russia supports China through its navy: Su-33's and Ka-50's.

- No Mi-8's, no UH-1's => No transport tasking.

- So far, no ET's and no AMRAAM's. Only Su-33's have access to ER's and F-14B's have access to Phoenixes. The rest will have access to R's, T's and AIM-7M's.

- R-73's included. AIM-9M's included.

Russian Forces: Su-33's and Ka-50's.

Chinese Forces: J-11's, MiG-29S' (Though as Russian units due to limits in the ME but with Chinese skin), Chengdu J-7 (MiG-21's) and Mi-24's.

US Forces: F-14B's, F-18C's, F-15C's (once a certain island is captured), AV-8B's and A-10C's (once a certain island is captured).

French Forces: SA342Mistrals tasked with covering American APC's crossing the waters. Which means they hunt Hinds and maybe Ka-50's if...

Swedish Forces: AJS37's.

- I might add the Su-25 or Su-25T.

- Also, I might add the M-2000C to the French forces.

More details will be shared soon. As for now, hone your "navy skills" and practice some takeoffs and landings on carriers. We don't want to have aircraft crashing into carriers wasting assets so practice now instead on the server, please.

Got the part that AV8B’s will be activated ones an island is captured, but would it be possible to add a smaller amount of AV8B’s departing from Tarawa? Maritime ops are insanely fun 🙂

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

8 minutes ago, NELLUS said:

Got the part that AV8B’s will be activated ones an island is captured, but would it be possible to add a smaller amount of AV8B’s departing from Tarawa? Maritime ops are insanely fun 🙂

The "(once a certain island is captured)" stands next to the F-15C and A-10C. Not the AV-8B 😉

The Harrier can and will certainly spawn at an aircraft carrier. The other two can't, hence the later activation if certain islands are captured.

• Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

* Operation Last Man Standing:

- Less structures to destroy at the TA's (mainly the "big/bigger" ones).

- Added ammo trucks to many AAA's which were lacking the ability to rearm.

* The new mission featuring the Mariana Islands map is almost finished. Briefing and briefing images are being finalised. After that I'll need to run some tests. Unlike operation Tiberia cmdr is excluded. Only JTAC is allowed. The US American AVV-7's (Assault Amphibious Vehcile) are AI controlled. AA's and AAA's can be controlled by JTAC operators. That means a human driven SA-15/19 in the right hands can become tough for F-18C's to destroy. However, not many SA-15's/19's are available in the first place.

Note:

AA's and AAA's might become AI controlled if players start hiding them around which is possible. They're there to fight off the enemy and not hide in the forest until the mission's up to win it like that. So JTAC players keep that in mind, please. We'll see how the first round goes.

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Alpenwolf, any thoughts on the plan when the Mig-23 and Mirage F1 come in? Server has been really great lately. I know that each mission is designed around the F-5 and Mig-21 but seeing as the F-14 is a fan favorite in DCS, it could be really interesting to start adding in some later cold war servers.

My guess is that as people who play this server are cold war enthusiasts, they will probably buy the F1 and the Mig-23 when it comes out. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 3:17 PM, Enigma89 said:

Alpenwolf, any thoughts on the plan when the Mig-23 and Mirage F1 come in? Server has been really great lately. I know that each mission is designed around the F-5 and Mig-21 but seeing as the F-14 is a fan favorite in DCS, it could be really interesting to start adding in some later cold war servers.

My guess is that as people who play this server are cold war enthusiasts, they will probably buy the F1 and the Mig-23 when it comes out. 

The F-14 is already part of the server. The MiG-23 (Red) will surely be added as well as the F-1 (Blue). The MiG-29A will be a full fidelity module one day as confirmed by ED and is there already.

The only thing missing is the F-4 (Blue). Oh, yes! The Phantom what else!

All the above will be/is available. It's just that it always comes down to each and every mission separately regarding what modules will be/are included and if so how many slots and how many aircraft. Missions covering large areas such as Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed, Search & destroy, When The Mountain Cry, Open Range, etc. already have the MiG-29A and the F-14A and surely will have the MiG-23 and F-1 added to them even in bigger numbers and slots. Rule of the thumb is this: The more modern an aircraft is the less slots and units it has. The MiG-21 and the F-5 draw the zero line so to speak. Anything superior or inferior to them is in lesser numbers. The I-16 and the P-51D are way inferior, therefore, you see them in very limited numbers and missions. Just as it is with the other extreme with MiG-29A's and F-14A's as mentioned above.

The same applies to helicopters which is why you see more Gazelles than Hinds and way less Ka-50's these days.

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hi there Alpenwolf, first I'd like to thank you so much for the server. Having a server that focuses on teamwork, communication and combined arms is absolutely ace. By also focusing on Cold War tech, it makes the conflict much more tactile and crunchy instead of being a BVR missile slinging match, and for the ground the limitations on PGMs and the construction of targets give us a reason to use dumb weapons, which is rather rare in DCS! I've been having a great time in my Mi-8, Su-25, A-10A and doing GCI intercepts.

However one thing I find strange is your position against having a discord. I understand your objections about it with regards to wanting people to use SRS and not discord voice chat, but I think it would really help things if we had a text-only discord setup so that people interested in the server had a common area to hang out in, put out calls for more players, discuss airframes and tactics, and so on.

If you are still against it, would you be opposed to the creation of an unofficial DCS Cold War Discord?

4 hours ago, Xerxes17 said:

Hi there Alpenwolf, first I'd like to thank you so much for the server. Having a server that focuses on teamwork, communication and combined arms is absolutely ace. By also focusing on Cold War tech, it makes the conflict much more tactile and crunchy instead of being a BVR missile slinging match, and for the ground the limitations on PGMs and the construction of targets give us a reason to use dumb weapons, which is rather rare in DCS! I've been having a great time in my Mi-8, Su-25, A-10A and doing GCI intercepts.

However one thing I find strange is your position against having a discord. I understand your objections about it with regards to wanting people to use SRS and not discord voice chat, but I think it would really help things if we had a text-only discord setup so that people interested in the server had a common area to hang out in, put out calls for more players, discuss airframes and tactics, and so on.

If you are still against it, would you be opposed to the creation of an unofficial DCS Cold War Discord?

There is one already, not sure who runs it: https://discord.gg/rpeQ5Jjc

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 hours ago, Xerxes17 said:

Which is why there has always been a TeamSpeak channel where years ago when I had my own channel 10+ players where there every night. Then I decided to join my TS channel with that of the 104th so players have access to both servers (back in the day the 104th server was constantly top 3 on the servers' list).

... and then Discord happened and players started switching over because you can share images and videos and stuff. Because it was something new and people always rush to new things any time anywhere. And quickly players started talking bad and complaining about it. One of the big servers I know of had to shut down their Discord due to continuous complaints and unavoidable childish behaviour. And I'm supposed to leave TS and join the others?! Imagine the messages and complaints I'd be receiving as a Discord channel admin. I never ever had such experience with TS. Not once! It's all about team speak. Literally, team speak.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments