Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Server News:

First, I need to apologise to you all for keeping you in the dark. The server has never gone offline like that since day one of hosting, but I had to do it.

I was at my father's for a while. And yes, my wife gave birth to my third child recently. And yes, I'm currently upgrading the server and updating the missions. However, all that has nothing to do with the server going offline. It's not like the server runs on a steam engine and requires me to feed it with wood constantly, but it was impossible while joggling with the baby with the other hand.

... It's something else and of no importance to you, but of a high value to me.

That led me to rethink the issue with having a co-admin, especially, with more missions, events, tournaments, etc. coming to the server. I had a co-admin years ago when I started out, then was better off working alone, then had/have one or two who could have access to the server just in case, but they're not available often enough.
Once I have a co-admin I'll let you know.

Trust me, I'd rather have the server go back online right now, but it might take another week. Hopefully, less.

Meanwhile, show Enigma some support or not, up to you, just don't get distracted by some individuals on both sides or anywhere else.

God bless and safe flying!

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

On 12/4/2021 at 1:29 PM, rogorogo said:

sidenote:
also because this is the "Cold War Server" - so the pylon limitation for the Viggen, especially if done for fuselage pylons for the RB-24 for represents the AJ-37 Viggen of the Cold War.
The AJS-37 Viggen was a livecycle iteration done after the Cold War more or less representing a "super" model - and we only have AJ(S) variants, otherwise we would have the 30mm in the nose of the Fighter Variants (JA-37) available.
But they are an entirely different airframe, they just look the same.

So again, this is feasible, as it is to have EARLY 29's (A) and F-14s, moreso since we can still hope that next to the EE-Lightning, and maybe one day finally an F-4 that can be made suitable that the full fidelity 29 might be an "A" instead of a "C"(S).

As for the rest.. I am sometimes inclined to shake my head about how persistently people want to ignore the obvious.
The "why" of certain plattforms being used wrong is down to people and the likeliness of their preferences. Where they "come from", where they "go to", what they "think" (or not think rather).

Catering to that in any way shape or form will achieve nothing while eroding the experience environment of the playfield for everyone else.
That would be a mistake, not because I think that (no one cares what I think and no one should) but because that is simply how things are. Not good or bad, not black or white, just "are" by factual discovery. 
Unless popularity, or populism rather is what is to be solely cared about - but then one would have to run honed social media channels catering to the lowest denominator, have a "posse" of fake-friendly fake-concerned guerilla seed proxies and message spin surrogates.
All to seek - as an adult of voting age - the adorment of ones ego by the underage and the intellectually minor.

Which  - unless I am severly mistaken - seems not to be the case.

But should be an admonishment to some of the populace acting willfully, wantingly, selectively ignorant elsewhere achieving nothing but validation of mechanics applied ever since the dawn of time, just in contemporary media tools. 

What a babbling wad of useless goop…. Do you get paid by the word?

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Congrats and don't worry!

I enjoyed flying MiG-19Ps on your server and while I'd love to see it back soon, real life always comes 51149234099x before a game like DCS.

Running/maintain a server is a ton of work and I am just happy (and often amazed) that people are willing to do it given the limited tools most games provide for server admins/mission makers.

The early/mid Cold War is really one of the most exciting parts of DCS and I hope to see it get more attention from players/devs in the near future.

Edited by Parabe11um
  • Like 1

Congratulations, and also amazed you had only yourself as a one man act keeping the server running most this time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Server News:

*** The server goes back online today, Saturday, 11.12.2021, around 1900 zulu ***

Operation When The Mountains Cry will start the show and it's currently the only mission with a complete remake, which will be implemented in all missions over the upcoming days and weeks.
Note that you might not notice these changes, but from my perspective as a mission designer they are huge.

GCI, Combined Arms and LotATC:

As you know, I always try to emphasise the importance of the Combined Arms module being involved in almost all my missions. I'd rather have players control the ground units to have things as dynamic as it can get rather than AI. And I always encourage purchasing the module (Note: ZERO profit in it for me, other than having players control the ground warfare), so we can have more players involved in the ground game.
The downside of the module is that the GCI operator is provided with highly accurate and without any delays precise information. That mostly affects aerial units, especially, helicopters and strikers. You'd think you're undetected flying behind a mountain or in a valley, but the enemy's GCI operator sees you on the F10 map.
Note that the Combined Arms module wasn't designed to be used as a GCI tool in the first place, therefore, LotATC is now added to the server and should be used as such. Besides, LotATC is way more realistic and I might tune things in it in the future or change certain settings.

LotATC:

2 x slots per side and you can only use it if you're not flying. In addition, there's a password needed for those who want to do GCI. Reach out to me here via pm or on TS for that matter. I could name ca. 10 players who do GCI out of the top of my head, and they'll probably be the first to receive the passwords from me.

Whether it's going to stay at 2 x slots per side or whether the password is really needed or not, only time will tell. Your feedback is as always very vital.

In the updated mission When The Mountains Cry, all aerial units are hidden on the F10 map! That means Combined Arms users will only be able to see ground units and ground assets only. They're busy enough with the ground warfare and those of you who have been doing both simultaneously know how stressing it can be. How is this going to affect comms or the progress in the mission? Again, only time will tell and your feedback is once more very much appreciated and needed.

Other missions haven't been changed in that regard yet. We'll have to see how it plays out first.

SRS and The MiG-15 Comms' Issue:

Poor MiG-15 pilots have always been working alone on their radio frequency while being unable to contact any other pilots due to differences in the radio systems. I could enable the radio expansion for all to operate freely and I did that once, but that caused a bit of chaos and players ended up operating of different frequencies. Therefore, the radio expansion will only be enabled for MiG-15 players only. However, that requires the players themselves to do the following:

- Go to Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts path.
- Find the DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua file and save a backup somewhere.
- Copy and paste the file below to your Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts path.
- Do NOT change the filename.

You should now have a Virtual Radio (Expansion Radio) available in SRS when flying the MiG-15. This radio can be tuned to all frequencies between 116.000 and 399.975 in the VHF and UHF Band.

Here's the file you'd need for that purpose:
DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua

* Note that every time ED releases an update for DCS, the file is overwritten and you'll have to repeat the procedure of copying and pasting the file again.

--------------------------------------
Operation When The Mountains Cry:

- All radio frequencies have been optimised and added to the briefing.
- In addition, the orange circles on the F10 map contain further information in that regard.
- The warehouses have been adjusted.
- Added specific lua files and triggers.

Note that other essential changes are mainly to help things perform better.

Beacons are still bugged and don't work on ED's dedicated servers. I filed a report a while ago and I can only hope they fix the issue, so I can set up beacons for both sides and in all missions to help with better navigation. Fingers crossed!

* A co-admin is found, I hope. Hopefully, I can announce that soon.

* Special thanks to =475FG= Dawger for helping me out and testing multiple things with me. Bless you, mate!

Thank you all for your patience!
Alpenwolf

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 10

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, Alpenwolf said:

Server News:

*** The server goes back online today, Saturday, 11.12.2021, around 1900 zulu ***

Operation When The Mountains Cry will start the show and it's currently the only mission with a complete remake, that will be applied to all missions over the upcoming days and weeks.
Note that you might not notice these changes, but from my perspective as a mission designer they are huge.

GCI, Combined Arms and LotATC:

As you know, I always try to emphasise the importance of the Combined Arms module being involved in almost all my missions. I'd rather have players control the ground units to have things as dynamic as it can get rather than AI. And I always encourage purchasing the module (Note: ZERO profit in it for me, other than having players control the ground warfare), so we can have more players involved in the ground game.
The downside of the module is that the GCI operator is provided with highly accurate and without any delays precise information. That mostly affects aerial units, especially, Helicopters and strikers. You'd think you're undetected flying behind a mountain or in a valley, but the enemy's GCI operator sees you on the F10 map.
Note that the Combined Arms module wasn't designed to be used as a GCI tool in the first place, therefore, LotATC is now added to the server and should be used as such. Besides, LotATC is way more realistic and I might tune things in it in the future or change certain settings.

LotATC:

2 x slots per side and you can only use it if you're not flying. In addition, there's a password needed for those who want to do GCI. Reach out to me here via pm or on TS for that matter. I could name ca. 10 players who do GCI out of the top of my head, and they'll probably be the first to receive the passwords from me.

Whether it's going to stay at 2 x slots per side or whether the password is really needed or not, only time will tell. Your feedback is as always very vital.

In the updated mission When The Mountains Cry, all aerial units are hidden on the F10 map! That means Combined Arms users will only be able to see ground units and ground assets only. They're busy enough with the ground warfare and those of you who have been doing both simultaneously know how stressing it can be. How is this going to affect comms or the progress in the mission? Again, only time will tell and your feedback is once more very much appreciated and needed.

Other missions haven't been changed in that regard yet. We'll have to see how it plays out first.

SRS and The MiG-15 Comms' Issue:

Poor MiG-15 pilots have always been working alone on their radio frequency while being unable to contact any other pilots due to differences in the radio systems. I could enable the radio expansion for all to operate freely and I did that once, but that caused a bit of chaos and players ended up operating of different frequencies. Therefore, the radio expansion will only be enabled for MiG-15 players only. However, that requires the players themselves to do the following:

- Go to Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts path.
- Find the DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua file and save a backup somewhere.
- Copy and paste the file below to your Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts path.
- Do NOT change the filename.

You should now have a Virtual Radio (Expansion Radio) available in SRS when flying the MiG-15. This radio can be tuned to all frequencies between 116.000 and 399.975 in the VHF and UHF Band.

Here's the file you'd need for that purpose:
DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua

* Note that every time ED releases an update for DCS, the file is overwritten and you'll have to repeat the procedure of copying and pasting the file again.

--------------------------------------
Operation When The Mountains Cry:

- All radio frequencies have been optimised and added to the briefing.
- In addition, the orange circles on the F10 map contain further information in that regard.
- The warehouses have been adjusted.
- Added specific lua files and triggers.

Note that other essential changes are mainly to help things perform better.

Beacons are still bugged and don't work on ED's dedicated servers. I filed a report a while ago and I can only hope they fix the issue, so I can set up beacons for both sides and in all missions to help with better navigation. Fingers crossed!

* A co-admin is found, I hope. Hopefully, I can announce that soon.

* Special thanks to =475FG= Dawger for helping me out and testing multiple things with me. Bless you, mate!

Thank you all for your patience!
Alpenwolf

With LotATC coming onboard, I would suggest the use of server side licenses. This would allow folks to use LotATC without paying for the license. Of course, the server side licenses would need to be paid for, so we need to either directly donate the licenses or send Alpenwolf the money to obtain them. 4 GCI slots would mean 4 licenses needed. The 475th will pledge to buy one for the server if Alpenwolf decides to go this route.

• Like 3

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

2 hours ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

With LotATC coming onboard, I would suggest the use of server side licenses. This would allow folks to use LotATC without paying for the license. Of course, the server side licenses would need to be paid for, so we need to either directly donate the licenses or send Alpenwolf the money to obtain them. 4 GCI slots would mean 4 licenses needed. The 475th will pledge to buy one for the server if Alpenwolf decides to go this route.

I for one will be happy to purchase a license, I’ve offered this over a year ago, but due to technical issues Alpenwolf was unable to get LotATC to work correctly. 
This will make my life simpler, I’ve already got LotATC and will be your first GCI tonight. 
Get the word out and let’s make this server populated with like minded members of the DCS family. 

QS

Mike-Delta

A moto from my regiment (Quis Separabit)
"Who shall separate us" 

• Like 3

Welcome back!

🙂

The changes are great.

I bought CA in the sale soly for your server. Looking forward to use it when I get the grasp of it. 🙂

I appreciate your work! 

EDIT

Do I get it right that Alpen needs a normal client licence for a "open" LotATC slot on his server? 

If so I would happily provide one on behalf of [_FLAPS_].

Edited by MMI_Grim
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

Sounds good to me.

4 hours ago, MMI_Grim said:

Welcome back!

🙂

The changes are great.

I bought CA in the sale soly for your server. Looking forward to use it when I get the grasp of it. 🙂

I appreciate your work! 

EDIT

Do I get it right that Alpen needs a normal client licence for a "open" LotATC slot on his server? 

If so I would happily provide one on behalf of [_FLAPS_].

No worries, mate. I'll get one myself 😉

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments