Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

30 minutes ago, Apok said:

image.pngI w

I would like to personally thx Alpenwolf for a server where stuff like this can happen...PVP gazelle kill with a truck.

I am very glad you managed to achieve something.

However, this sort of behavior is not something the server really needs at the moment.

The Gazelle pilot appears to have been enjoying his first experience on the server (from the questions he was asking in text)

He promptly disconnected immediately after you proudly announced your truck "kill".

I think it is unlikely he will be motivated to return.

Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

Edited by =475FG= Dawger
  • Like 2

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

vor 47 Minuten schrieb Apok:

image.pngI w

I would like to personally thx Alpenwolf for a server where stuff like this can happen...PVP gazelle kill with a truck.

next orbat for REDfor - weaponize a ZIL-4104... 😉

Also.. as someone who was there in the AO, 10 clicks north, and we were outnumbered.. 4:1? - this is MVP status forever, your callsign from now on should be "THATsplash 1-1" :thumbsup:

And while of course we normally try to not kamikaze on things (which in A2G does not work anyway) - despite me not so lately getting rammed by a lot of things that then also disconnect or not... this one is not only valid and within the scope but also shows the potential of CA assets and that ground assets are not a shooting gallery when under human control, enriching the experience and making cognitive involvment necessary for the rotary loop.

Edited by rogorogo

11 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I am very glad you managed to achieve something.

However, this sort of behavior is not something the server really needs at the moment.

The Gazelle pilot appears to have been enjoying his first experience on the server (from the questions he was asking in text)

He promptly disconnected immediately after you proudly announced your truck "kill".

I think it is unlikely he will be motivated to return.

Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

How the hek im suppose to know whos new player?  Im sorry for the person leaving but lets not behave like this is against the rules. If I shot him with a tank then what? This is rare occurrence thats why I bragged. All we had was a frikin truck at the farp and mission was about to end. We needed farp to finish all objectives. You wiped everyhing we had there. Ill pause my playing I guess. You tell Red when we suppose to shoot with blanks.

Edited by Apok
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Apok said:

How the hek im suppose to know whos new player?  Im sorry for the person leaving but lets not behave like this is against the rules. If I shot him with a tank then what? This is rare occurrence thats why I bragged. All we had was a frikin truck at the farp and mission was about to end. We needed farp to finish all objectives. You wiped everyhing we had there. Ill pause my playing I guess. You tell Red when we suppose to shoot with blanks.

Shooting someone is not an issue.

What you did gives every appearance of a friendly intentionally griefing at the FARP, which is what the second helicopter that you rammed with the truck thought you were doing.

The server is suffering from severe lack of population. 10 people in the server is about tops lately.

This sort of behavior, while entirely within the rules, is not exactly conducive to trying to support a waning server population.

However, you are correct. It is within the rules, we were kicking your butt up and down the map, and when you can't beat someone in a supersonic fighter, suicide runs in a truck has proven highly effective.

Carry on.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Oh please, we got 2 objectives. Also you lost your farp but reclaimed it before we got comm tower and stopped us from wining. I cant spawn stuff with mi8 , drive tanks, and GCI alone, as you say low pop. Btw not being able to kill in fighter and being butt kicked... plz watch tacview. 

I understand your emotions but toughen up a bit, its a game.

Also mission needs crate cap. Not sure it has it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MMI_Grim said:

I guess if you have to play against 4 times the forces you get forced to asymmetric tactics. ^^

But I would also make it very clear that you are on a road rage trip so the other players dont suspect grieving.

Don't believe the "4 to 1" line too much. When I joined, Blue had 2 players who had just joined after the Reds had been busy for 2.5 hours with no opposition whatsoever. Blue was down to a very few ground forces and sides were even for the next 90 minutes or so. It wasn't until the last 45 minutes, when it was obvious the Reds were not going to close the deal, that the Reds began logging off and the side disparity developed.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

6 hours ago, Apok said:

Oh please, we got 2 objectives. Also you lost your farp but reclaimed it before we got comm tower and stopped us from wining. I cant spawn stuff with mi8 , drive tanks, and GCI alone, as you say low pop. Btw not being able to kill in fighter and being butt kicked... plz watch tacview. 

Careful what you ask for. This is the only fixed wing sortie you flew while I was in the server yesterday. It was my first sortie.

• Like 2

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

10 hours ago, Apok said:

What do you mean by crate cap?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

3 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

He means that the number of crates should be limited. 😉

It is limited in all the missions I've updated so far. Others will follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

This quest for "balance" or "fairness" is a bit ludicrous to me. Lets face it, it's a game and it's the GCI and ground war part that ticks off people the most. If one side has it going and the other doesn't, then you're in for a tough go. Air-to-air seem to enjoy themselves pretty much regardless of what's on the ground.

Choppers are different. From a "putting out creates" perspective I disagree with caps. I also disagree with with armament caps on the aircraft (quantity, not types). It's a game, let them do their part until the end. Keep them in the air, keep them productive and they'll stay in the game. Red should be out performing blue choppers by miles when it come to crate delivery. At When Mountains Cry a day or two ago, I put a Hawk site about 3 miles or so from one of the Blue lakes. By myself, climbing the mountain then down to the lake, I'm guessing maybe 15 miles at best, took me an hour a twenty minutes to complete in a Huey, not including ammo truck, Huey equipped with guns and half load of fuel. Don't believe me? You try it. SU25's or missile equipped Mi24's, or KA50's sweep in and take it all out without ever getting shot at by a piece of ground equipment.

It seems that Blue just works a little better together, more often. Add Mike-Delta to the mix and you've gotta really work to get past us. So instead of constantly asking for changes that will never end depending on who feels slighted today, Get in, get better, do the roles that are required at the moment rather than just the role you want to do, then it won't seem so one sided. I've never heard of the Blue side asking for crate caps.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 4:25 PM, Alpenwolf said:

It is limited in all the missions I've updated so far. Others will follow.

Red fixed wing pilots have mostly left the server. Dobs and I are flying Red a lot more often just to have someone to shoot at. Occasionally, if we spend a few hours seeding the server some Red Air will show up but it cannot be relied upon. I have no clue what could possibly bring them back.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

32 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

Red fixed wing pilots have mostly left the server. Dobs and I are flying Red a lot more often just to have someone to shoot at. Occasionally, if we spend a few hours seeding the server some Red Air will show up but it cannot be relied upon. I have no clue what could possibly bring them back.

The many restrictions, limitations, never using the same module/unit on both sides (for both IFF and "authenticity" reasons), the emphasis on using comms and rely on teamwork are all as one package of features (among other secondary features) a major aspect of this server, especially, years ago when I started hosting; Less servers back then and most were more or less following the same protocol. On top of that, including a "risky" module like Combined Arms and wrap most missions around it. And that's only due to the fact that the ground warfare is simply part of... war. Hence the various tournaments and encouraging players to get it and test it out. You know, hoping for developers to revisit the module one day and polish some of its surfaces.

I'm not saying other servers were/are bad or anything. That's everyone's different taste in things and the variety of servers these days gives everyone a place to be. For instance, you can't say Pizza is not tasty and frame that as a general opinion. It's your own taste. PERIOD! And those who have been around me for a while know how much I don't care about what others do or why they do it.

In DCS, I kind of found my place in the virtual world of sims/games and I wasn't even looking for one. Then I created my own niche with the MiG-21 and the F-5 being its main modules (after working for quite a while with ACG_IronJockel) hoping to attract enough players who share the same approach towards this great simulator. The best I might add! Yes, simulator, and I treat it as such and prefer to share it with only those who see it as such.

Over the last years of hosting I've always been adding and removing features or making things "harder" in the missions while paying attention to players' feedback. All that to get to a place where players can still have fun without getting bored with fanatic realism as some call it. I had to stop at some point and never push any further. I had to give up and give in many times and just as much players of the Cold War community had to as well. I couldn't implement everything I wanted and players couldn't agree on everything I had, so we ended up meeting in the middle. A common ground that I was trying to get to, where everyone (or most actually) is happy with what they got and able to live without some of the features they'd love to have (you can't have everything and please everyone, so I never bothered about the latter). And that's when the server's become what it is with the standard features it has.

Now, talking about bringing players back. I've always said this: One day there will be a new and a different generation of players in DCS that will certainly approach this simulator (or game?) differently. And quite often such a change scares off some OG's of not just DCS, but any game. It's like a company or a brand that is known for something and one day they change a few features to attract more customers (which is very legit from a product provider's point of view), so they end up gaining more and new followers/players/customers/etc. on the cost of losing older ones, who then end up reminiscing the good old days and wishing for things to go back to what they once were. Well, they're not 😉 That's the nature of things and DCS is just one example.

That being said, I'm never ever changing any of the major features of any of my missions to get anyone attracted to the server. I don't use social media and I'm not interested in having followers or numbers or likes or whatever is out there in that regard. I simply love DCS the way I do and had many players like me throughout the years with whom I've shared many beautiful and intense sessions. If I'm outdated or my missions don't attract the new waves of new DCS players, who think of my missions and server rules to be too tough or too whatever, so be it. And that's not me being stubborn, as some say, but simply me wanting to enjoy DCS the way I want to enjoy it. That's all there is to it, mate, and I understand your concern.

The server is still online and is still running. For how long? Who knows... That's something not very foreseeable.

God bless you all!
Fly safe!

• Like 7

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I think now that the horde has moved on this server has actually become more enjoyable lately. It is also getting better with the new Cold War modules. Empty is not good of course, but "full" also has certain downsides. 

*Edit*

23 players on at 20:30 UTC. Not bad, nothing to worry about.

Edited by Pilot Ike
  • Like 3

@crate cap
The Hawk sites are not a problem for me. Lots and lots of manpads are whats not much fun.
I think its quite ok to build a defence with focus, but just spaming out manpads and ammo trucks not so much.

Blue will always have advantages with an dedicated CGI in mike delta and dedicated sam truck in miccara. And thats ok, nothing to worry or do about.
Maybe sometimes something like that will come up for red.

EDIT: I fly both sides btw

EDIT2: Alpens server is by far the best for me.

Edited by MMI_Grim
  • Like 4

On 1/23/2022 at 9:15 PM, Alpenwolf said:

The many restrictions, limitations, never using the same module/unit on both sides (for both IFF and "authenticity" reasons), the emphasis on using comms and rely on teamwork are all as one package of features (among other secondary features) a major aspect of this server, especially, years ago when I started hosting; Less servers back then and most were more or less following the same protocol. On top of that, including a "risky" module like Combined Arms and wrap most missions around it. And that's only due to the fact that the ground warfare is simply part of... war. Hence the various tournaments and encouraging players to get it and test it out. You know, hoping for developers to revisit the module one day and polish some of its surfaces.

I'm not saying other servers were/are bad or anything. That's everyone's different taste in things and the variety of servers these days gives everyone a place to be. For instance, you can't say Pizza is not tasty and frame that as a general opinion. It's your own taste. PERIOD! And those who have been around me for a while know how much I don't care about what others do or why they do it.

In DCS, I kind of found my place in the virtual world of sims/games and I wasn't even looking for one. Then I created my own niche with the MiG-21 and the F-5 being its main modules (after working for quite a while with ACG_IronJockel) hoping to attract enough players who share the same approach towards this great simulator. The best I might add! Yes, simulator, and I treat it as such and prefer to share it with only those who see it as such.

Over the last years of hosting I've always been adding and removing features or making things "harder" in the missions while paying attention to players' feedback. All that to get to a place where players can still have fun without getting bored with fanatic realism as some call it. I had to stop at some point and never push any further. I had to give up and give in many times and just as much players of the Cold War community had to as well. I couldn't implement everything I wanted and players couldn't agree on everything I had, so we ended up meeting in the middle. A common ground that I was trying to get to, where everyone (or most actually) is happy with what they got and able to live without some of the features they'd love to have (you can't have everything and please everyone, so I never bothered about the latter). And that's when the server's become what it is with the standard features it has.

Now, talking about bringing players back. I've always said this: One day there will be a new and a different generation of players in DCS that will certainly approach this simulator (or game?) differently. And quite often such a change scares off some OG's of not just DCS, but any game. It's like a company or a brand that is known for something and one day they change a few features to attract more customers (which is very legit from a product provider's point of view), so they end up gaining more and new followers/players/customers/etc. on the cost of losing older ones, who then end up reminiscing the good old days and wishing for things to go back to what they once were. Well, they're not 😉 That's the nature of things and DCS is just one example.

That being said, I'm never ever changing any of the major features of any of my missions to get anyone attracted to the server. I don't use social media and I'm not interested in having followers or numbers or likes or whatever is out there in that regard. I simply love DCS the way I do and had many players like me throughout the years with whom I've shared many beautiful and intense sessions. If I'm outdated or my missions don't attract the new waves of new DCS players, who think of my missions and server rules to be too tough or too whatever, so be it. And that's not me being stubborn, as some say, but simply me wanting to enjoy DCS the way I want to enjoy it. That's all there is to it, mate, and I understand your concern.

The server is still online and is still running. For how long? Who knows... That's something not very foreseeable.

God bless you all!
Fly safe!

your server, your missions are the best for the last 5 /6 years as I am flying in it. keep it up

• Like 5

On 12/31/2021 at 4:43 PM, Alpenwolf said:

Fuel tanks at Nalchik in what mission? Phone Booth? If it's Phone Booth, well, you hardly travel any long distances to really need them. Nevertheless, you find them at the main airbase, Mineralnye Vody.

No need to speculate any further this pretty much sums it up. Why? To discriminate the blue side?

The channels for Viggen is still fugged up!

I dont understand why the f-16 aka mig killer is not here. Just limit the thing to aim 9Ls only. Remove all the pods, D-link and so on. 

Edited by Skyracer

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Skyracer:

No need to speculate any further this pretty much sums it up. Why? To discriminate the blue side?

The channels for Viggen is still fugged up!

I dont understand why the f-16 aka mig killer is not here. Just limit the thing to aim 9Ls only. Remove all the pods, D-link and so on. 

ahem.. are you ok?
What is the purpose of this unnecessary and inflammatory typing - showing not only quite the lack of basic manners but also blatantly ignoring simple facts.

The F-16 in DCS has - unlike the F-5 with incorrect components - the same problem the AJS-Viggen has (which i just blew up in 25 seconds ago btw.. before there is any more "us" vs "them") in being not an AJ-37.
DCS has a "somewhat F-16 C as a module, that is Block 25 to 52, with the very first plane of Block 25 having its service trials in mid 1984.

The Cold War F-16, or the "Mig-Killer" as you refer to (up to the 29A) as thought out by the "Light Figher Mafia Thinktank" a certain Mr Pierre Sprey claimed to be a major part of (both of which is only true to some gradient but still the most meritable claim of Mr Sprey at least) was the F-16 A and maybe B, that is Block 1 to 20.

Just because they look the same on the outside does not change the fact that they are VASTLY different airframe in capabilities, avionics, armaments, turbine, everything - including the AJS.

That is like comparing the Saab Draken of ye olden times with the flying antiques show of the Austrian airforce (until the Eurofighters that can only VFR and always be the used ones delivered as the stopgap until the fresh ones came off the line that will be paid for nonetheless.. but that is a different and quite fascinating story) - just because they look the same does not mean they are the same...
And any late 50s and 60s Draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaken pilot would have quite salivated about the gunsight optics and TC alone...

So please.. before making such divise blanket statment, educate yourself at least on Wikipedia level.
Alternatively there is a server where such toxicity and things like "meta" and other things are quite encouraged... but that is "Cold War" in name only...

And I am only typing this because I seem to remember that you have been told exactly this, about this module, by someone else before.. at least once.

• Like 2