Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

1 hour ago, rossmum said:

Checking in to say I'm not dead, just overworked 😬 Right now I have maybe 1-2 days a week I can even be online around server prime time and that's subject to other commitments as well right now. Hopefully I can shift some hours around and get back into it, I'm so rusted up I can barely fly in a straight li... ok, I can fly even less straight than I already did.

I'm aware of your full time job and good for you. Don't force yourself into "coming back" or whatever in that regard. You'd only disapprove of DCS more and more if you'd force yourself back into it. We all have enough of something at some point and need a break, so enjoy it.

I told you long time ago before becoming a co-admin that you can never ever allow this to stress you out. It must never feel like a job or something compulsive, otherwise you end up refraining from anything remotely attached to DCS even more, let alone running the administrative stuff and playing DCS yourself.

Stay safe and God bless you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Server News:

Operation Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed kicks off this Saturday, 11.06.2022, around 1800 zulu.

Mission's change log:
- All SA342M's were replaced by AH-64's.
- SA342Mistrals remain.

• Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

To ALL

New tanks to play with...

Type-59 and the Cheiftain.  Finally we can have a good fight with propper tanks. I see a lot of the issues have been fixed, lets see what else is broken..

Happy hunting..

Mike-Delta

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkMD said:

To ALL

New tanks to play with...

Type-59 and the Cheiftain.  Finally we can have a good fight with propper tanks. I see a lot of the issues have been fixed, lets see what else is broken..

Happy hunting..

Mike-Delta

Yeah, I just finished reading the change log of today's update. Very good news for the Combined Arms enthusiasts among us.

Server News:

Right now the server's locked with a password. I need to cycle through the missions first to make sure they all work well. In addition, I need to make sure the R-60M is disabled and Hinds have no access to it. Some missions will have the R-60M's included and Mistrals will be added to counter that. Change logs will be announced. We'll see how it goes with R-60M's added to the game (for Hinds only) and if enough players fly the Mistral.

• Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

6 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Yeah, I just finished reading the change log of today's update. Very good news for the Combined Arms enthusiasts among us.

Server News:

Right now the server's locked with a password. I need to cycle through the missions first to make sure they all work well. In addition, I need to make sure the R-60M is disabled and Hinds have no access to it. Some missions will have the R-60M's included and Mistrals will be added to counter that. Change logs will be announced. We'll see how it goes with R-60M's added to the game (for Hinds only) and if enough players fly the Mistral.

Give Avengers crates where you put R-60M's in. There will always be empty Mistral slots, and a line up for Hind slots.

9 hours ago, Miccara said:

Give Avengers crates where you put R-60M's in. There will always be empty Mistral slots, and a line up for Hind slots.

That's why I wrote this in the very post you quoted:

"We'll see how it goes with R-60M's added to the game (for Hinds only) and if enough players fly the Mistral."

Patience, my love 😉 It's only 2 Hind slots in most missions, so it's not like Blue aircraft will start falling down from the sky so conspicuously. Let's just see how it goes before adding or removing anything.

On a side note, the Chaparral is way more dangerous than the Avenger. It has a much better range, not as easy to defeat and way less smoke, so you hardly see any missiles flying towards you. I was in the Su-25 the other day and literally looking towards where I knew Chaparrals are waiting for me and still didn't see the missile launch. You can survive an Avenger shot if you're hit and even RTB, but not a Chaparral one. That's my experience with it. Other players have reported the same if you ask around. That being said, you'd want the Chaparrals to stay. However, I'll remove them together with all SA-9's and put Strelas and Avengers back in the game. In time.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Reminder:

SRS and The MiG-15 Comms' Issue:

MiG-15 players have always been working alone on their radio frequency while being unable to contact any other pilots due to differences in the radio systems. I could enable the radio expansion for all to operate freely and I did that once, but that caused a bit of chaos and players ended up operating on different frequencies. Therefore, the radio expansion will only be enabled for MiG-15 players only. However, that requires the players themselves to do the following:

- Go to Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts path.
- Find the DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua file and save a backup somewhere.
- Copy and paste the file below to your Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts path.
- Do NOT change the filename.

You should now have a Virtual Radio (Expanded Radio) available in SRS when flying the MiG-15. This radio can be tuned to all frequencies between 116.000 and 399.975 in the VHF and UHF Band.

Here's the file you'd need for that purpose:
DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone(1).lua

* Note that every time ED releases an update for DCS, the file is overwritten and you'll have to repeat the procedure of copying and pasting the file again.

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

@Alpenwolf Did a already take a look at the new SA map from razbam? Any ideas regarding a mission for this map? I know it’s a new map with likely not many players, but I am just interested. 

Edited by Max Thunder
12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

1 hour ago, Max Thunder said:

@Alpenwolf Did a already take a look at the new SA map from razbam? Any ideas regarding a mission for this map? I knew it’s a new map with likely not many players, but I am just interested. 

I personally don't own the map and currently not planning on doing so. I doubt enough players have it and just from asking around most seem to not even want to buy it at all.

It really looks good, but two major factors seem to push players away: Way too much water (and that's just the nature of it), and barely enough airbases to build missions around (and that's also the nature of it). I think for helicopter servers it can be great where a mission designer can put FARP's almost anywhere he wishes.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

14 minutes ago, Max Thunder said:

Thanks, any ideas when the next mission with the A4 Skyhawk will start? Asking because I discovered this great plane yesterday and now can’t wait to test in in one of your missions.

I was just about to make some announcements in that regard. Stay tuned, please. Need to finish something first.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

- Operation Search & Destroy (PG map) kicks off next Friday, 17.06.2022, around 1830 zulu. (MiG-29A's and F-14A's featured)
- Operation Arab-Israeli-War (Syria map) kicks off next Saturday, 18.06.2022, around 1800 zulu. (A-4 mod featured)
- Operation Clash of Eras (Syria map) kicks off next Sunday, 19.05.2022, around 1800 zulu. (Ka-50's and AH-64's featured)

* Search & Destroy change log:
- Added R-60M's to Hinds.
- Replaced all SA342M's with AH-64's, limited to 8 x Hellfires.
- Added SA342Mistrals.
- Added some Drawings on the F10 map.

* Arab-Israeli-War change log:
- Replaced T-55's and M60's with T-72's and Merkavas.
- The destruction of 75% of whatever assets at the TA's for Blue will be enough for the completion of the objectives.

* Clash of Eras change log:
- With modules from WWll and early CW being featured on both sides, comms has been an issue. Therefore, the SRS radio expansion is enabled. Players have access to all frequencies.

Note that these changes are not permanent and apply only for these missions on the aforementioned dates.
The lack of Gazelle players and generally Cold War suited Blue helicopters has been a thing for years. Waiting on the AH-1 might go on for God only knows how long. Therefore, the addition of the AH-64 here and there from time to time is hopefully tolerated. Just like having the AV-8B or the M-2000 back in the day when we had fewer modules than now. And you know how much I'd like to go as accurately as possible when designing missions, especially events, but instead, I end up dealing with the reality of things and accept lacking so much for a pure Cold War scenario, hence the presence of some "improper" features or modules in some missions.

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hey @Alpenwolf

Is it just me or the When the mountains cry is a bit one sided with Red having 7 BMPs vs 2 Bradleys (I know that Bradley is way better but you need 1 BMP to kill objective and Blue on the ground has nothing to stop it), having both Ka50s and Hinds vs Gazelle with 4 missiles and same distances to cover. 

Red can comfortably defend all their objectives and attack most Blue in the same time

Maybe replace Bradley/BMP combo with BTR 82 vs LAV? they have much smaller ammo storage so they would need to rearm much more often and they could be deployed in better parity. 

5 hours ago, The_Tau said:

Hey @Alpenwolf

Is it just me or the When the mountains cry is a bit one sided with Red having 7 BMPs vs 2 Bradleys (I know that Bradley is way better but you need 1 BMP to kill objective and Blue on the ground has nothing to stop it), having both Ka50s and Hinds vs Gazelle with 4 missiles and same distances to cover. 

Red can comfortably defend all their objectives and attack most Blue in the same time

Maybe replace Bradley/BMP combo with BTR 82 vs LAV? they have much smaller ammo storage so they would need to rearm much more often and they could be deployed in better parity. 

The BTR-80 vs LAV-25 idea is a good one. I'll implement that the next time I upgrade the mission, which should be soon enough as I'm going to include a lua script Apok just finished working on.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

All missions will soon include a lua script to enable the following:

- Upon spawning, the mission's time and the remaining hours/minutes are shown. Example for a 4 hours mission: "Mission started 2h and 12min ago. 1h and 48min left."
- Upon spawning, players are notified of the objectives' status.
- Teamkilling is announced to the affected coalition. Example: "Alpenwolf in a MiG-21 shot down rossmum in a Su-25!".
- Players switching back and forth between Red and Blue will be warned. The message is for all to see.
- Scoring 5 aerial kills rewards the player with ace status, which is then announced for all to see.
- Other minor options are currently off. Some will be enabled in some missions where they are needed.
- As of now the script is enabled in the mission The Desert Has Eyes. More missions to follow.

Special thanks to Apok for his tremendous help with writing the script and even offering more than needed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I'm still whining about When Mountains Cry 🙂 Don't enjoy this one.

2 Dog slow A10's on the blue side, 4 SU25's on Red
2 KA50's - - - give us Apaches (nobody flies the Gazelle)
2 C101's vs 4 L39's

I'm done, just venting. Move along.

10 hours ago, Miccara said:

I'm still whining about When Mountains Cry 🙂 Don't enjoy this one.

2 Dog slow A10's on the blue side, 4 SU25's on Red
2 KA50's - - - give us Apaches (nobody flies the Gazelle)
2 C101's vs 4 L39's

I'm done, just venting. Move along.

Work on a lua script that will enable vital features will be a tremendous asset to help with a few things to improve certain aspects in the missions. One example is moving A-10's to road bases and create a "virtual" warehouse for them to RTB to. That will be implemented in all the missions where A-10's have to travel long distances. I used to do that years ago until FC3 was bugged once and placing FC3 planes on road bases wasn't possible. That's not an issue any more and with the lua script I'm talking about I'll add more features while at it.

You have 6 Viggens and 2 A-10's vs 4 Su-25's.

There will be votes where players can have a say on whether a module should be added or removed. Working on something in that regard that is almost ready. Bear with me, please.

I hardly see anyone flying the trainer jets and if, it's mostly L-39's. You never see 4 vs 2 flying around. Not an issue really.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

On 6/12/2022 at 2:37 PM, Alpenwolf said:

Server News:

- Operation Search & Destroy (PG map) kicks off next Friday, 17.06.2022, around 1830 zulu. (MiG-29A's and F-14A's featured)
- Operation Arab-Israeli-War (Syria map) kicks off next Saturday, 18.06.2022, around 1800 zulu. (A-4 mod featured)
- Operation Clash of Eras (Syria map) kicks off next Sunday, 19.05.2022, around 1800 zulu. (Ka-50's and AH-64's featured)

* Search & Destroy change log:
- Replaced all SA342M's with AH-64's, limited to 8 x Hellfires.
- Added SA342Mistrals.

* Arab-Israeli-War change log:
- Replaced T-55's and M60's with T-72's and Merkavas.
- The destruction of 75% of whatever assets at the TA's for Blue will be enough for the completion of the objectives.

* Clash of Eras change log:
- With modules from WWll and early CW being featured on both sides, comms has been an issue. Therefore, the SRS radio expansion is enabled. Players have access to all frequencies.

Note that these changes are not permanent and apply only for these missions on the aforementioned dates.
The lack of Gazelle players and generally Cold War suited Blue helicopters has been a thing for years. Waiting on the AH-1 might go on for God only knows how long. Therefore, the addition of the AH-64 here and there from time to time is hopefully tolerated. Just like having the AV-8B or the M-2000 back in the day when we had fewer modules than now. And you know how much I'd like to go as accurately as possible when designing missions, especially events, but instead, I end up dealing with the reality of things and accept lacking so much for a pure Cold War scenario, hence the presence of some "improper" features or modules in some missions.

Woops, now we will see Hind dominate the sky 😄
is that for real ? Hind is super powerful compare to other helicopter in ColdWar server already, giving R-60M would be really a challenge for bluefor

2 hours ago, Raviar said:

Woops, now we will see Hind dominate the sky 😄
is that for real ? Hind is super powerful compare to other helicopter in ColdWar server already, giving R-60M would be really a challenge for bluefor

I think everybody is exaggerating a bit with the Hind becoming some game changer due to its R-60M's. It's 2 slots only in most missions, and to counter that I've added the Mistral and even the Apache to some missions to help the general Blue helicopters situation.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

4 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

I think everybody is exaggerating a bit with the Hind becoming some game changer due to its R-60M's. It's 2 slots only in most missions, and to counter that I've added the Mistral and even the Apache to some missions to help the general Blue helicopters situation.

Let us put out Avengers. We already can't see any Helos on the maps. Give us dependable ground anti-air we can control.

11 minutes ago, Miccara said:

Let us put out Avengers. We already can't see any Helos on the maps. Give us dependable ground anti-air we can control.

MANPAD's are good enough against helis, don't you think?

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

4 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

In missions with R-60M's on Hinds, perhaps they should be visible on radar.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

5 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

In missions with R-60M's on Hinds, perhaps they should be visible on radar.

I really thought about it and also making Mistrals visible. I'm yet to see these Hinds "dominating" Blue fighters though. So far they have access to R-60M's in event missions only. We had that last weekend in Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed. Blue won it and hardly any Hinds got any aerial kills with R-60M's. I think no kills at all, but maybe someone can correct me on that. Let's see how it goes first. I'm adding the Mistrals and even the AH-64 to these events to counter that.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

I really thought about it and also making Mistrals visible. I'm yet to see these Hinds "dominating" Blue fighters though. So far they have access to R-60M's in event missions only. We had that last weekend in Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed. Blue won it and hardly any Hinds got any aerial kills with R-60M's. I think no kills at all, but maybe someone can correct me on that. Let's see how it goes first. I'm adding the Mistrals and even the AH-64 to these events to counter that.

I am not too concerned with whether or not the A/A capability of the Hind will result in unbalance.

However, hiding helicopters from radar is extremely unrealistic as they are extremely good radar reflectors. So, the reason to do it is a concession to their vulnerability from attack by fixed wing aircraft.

If they can shoot back, they should be visible on radar. Otherwise, they are, effectively, highly mobile SAM batteries.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

20 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I am not too concerned with whether or not the A/A capability of the Hind will result in unbalance.

However, hiding helicopters from radar is extremely unrealistic as they are extremely good radar reflectors. So, the reason to do it is a concession to their vulnerability from attack by fixed wing aircraft.

If they can shoot back, they should be visible on radar. Otherwise, they are, effectively, highly mobile SAM batteries.

The human operator can't see them, but your EWR's will provide you with BRAA if they're not too low where a GCI operator would still be able to see them and that's the issue here. CA is way too overpowered.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments