Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Good suggestion, maybe a limited number of units deployed at the same time (like Hawk and SA6 on most missions) would do the trick ? 

Getting chain killed with a jtac loaded in the back on Street Fight, which are very limited in that mission, gave me ptsd 😆

KUB and Hawk sites can be limited in the CTLD script as it is an option there. Other types of crates/units can allegedly be limited too. There is an option for that but I'm sure it never worked years ago so I stopped using it. I'll try and see what I can do, maybe it's been fixed some time in the past without my knowledge.

The JTAC is there to help find sneaky ground units hiding in buildings. Normally, a JTAC unit shouldn't be able to see through units but also normally ground vehicles wouldn't be hiding in buildings either. So the JTAC is there to counter cmdr operators who exploit things like that.

On a side note, I often see players flying the Hind solo. They instantly grab a Hind each and never bother to be the weapons operator for the other. I understand the itch for wanting to be the pilot yourself but maybe you could fly one sortie then swap seats in the next one with the other player. 4 eyes are better than 2 and Petrovich is Petrovich. Can't be as good as a human player. Just a suggestion.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

like I say, some sympathy with Crazy about the amount of units, but I feel there’s a bit of downplaying how much work went into putting that AD up. We started before he joined the server today and were still going when he left. Obviously it gets progressively harder as we have more time to work. A Huey will only do 90/100 knots, not 250-300kph like a hind/hip so any of those half way units take a bloody long time to put down, and if you don’t fly a direct straight line between one FARP and the other then it’s wasted effort. It was more than 1 hour, that’s for certain.

I’ve played this mission as Red plenty of times and managed to get infantry into the Enemy FARP, but it’s hard work killing the AD and dodging the fighters before you can do that. I feel like this complaint is largely based in the fact that two Hueys played a good defence, worked as a team and built out the AD around the enemy’s objective. We did nothing to further the winning of the Blue objective, because Hueys can’t really do that in Swedish Delivery. 

I get Crazy is irritated that the AD became impenetrable, which it did, after a couple of hours work, but that was our role as Hueys surely? The number he mentioned in game of a 2-3 stinger limit would be ridiculous. There’s one avenger defending that FARP with some AAA, and that’s child’s play for a hind. The only way blue can defend it is for AD to be placed where it “ambushes” attackers. Surely the server isn’t just a playground for Hinds to plink some 2 mile range SAMs with 3 mile range anti-tank missiles, sidestep some modest defence and win the day, Hueys and gazelles have to be able to grind out a win somehow. There’s no way you can defend that FARP out to three miles with 5 stingers. 

• Like 3

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

3 hours ago, Grievo said:

like I say, some sympathy with Crazy about the amount of units, but I feel there’s a bit of downplaying how much work went into putting that AD up. We started before he joined the server today and were still going when he left. Obviously it gets progressively harder as we have more time to work. A Huey will only do 90/100 knots, not 250-300kph like a hind/hip so any of those half way units take a bloody long time to put down, and if you don’t fly a direct straight line between one FARP and the other then it’s wasted effort. It was more than 1 hour, that’s for certain.

I’ve played this mission as Red plenty of times and managed to get infantry into the Enemy FARP, but it’s hard work killing the AD and dodging the fighters before you can do that. I feel like this complaint is largely based in the fact that two Hueys played a good defence, worked as a team and built out the AD around the enemy’s objective. We did nothing to further the winning of the Blue objective, because Hueys can’t really do that in Swedish Delivery. 

I get Crazy is irritated that the AD became impenetrable, which it did, after a couple of hours work, but that was our role as Hueys surely? The number he mentioned in game of a 2-3 stinger limit would be ridiculous. There’s one avenger defending that FARP with some AAA, and that’s child’s play for a hind. The only way blue can defend it is for AD to be placed where it “ambushes” attackers. Surely the server isn’t just a playground for Hinds to plink some 2 mile range SAMs with 3 mile range anti-tank missiles, sidestep some modest defence and win the day, Hueys and gazelles have to be able to grind out a win somehow. There’s no way you can defend that FARP out to three miles with 5 stingers. 

2 hours..... Grevio I timed it in Tacview. You spawned 4 stingers by "yourself", not including speeddog around the farp in less then 30 minutes. So the 2 of you can put up 8 easily around the farp in 30 minutes. So we are supposed to take out a farp that can spawn unlimited stingers that can potentially have 5-7 up before the first wave of red even gets there? That's not even including the avenger and vulcans already there, and then all of the air cover provided by jets...Lets not kid ourselves. The 2 hueys by themselves with light loads can put that out to easy, and make the entire farp basically immune from air attack with out any additional air support at all.

Edited by CrazyGman

21 minutes ago, CrazyGman said:

2 hours..... Grevio I timed it in Tacview you spawned 4 stingers by "yourself", not including speeddog in less then 30 minutes, so the 2 of you can put up 8 easily in 30 minutes. So we are supposed to take out a farp that can spawn unlimited stingers and have 4-5 up before the first wave of red even gets there? That not even including the avengers and vulcans already there, and then all of the air cover provided by jets...Lets not kid ourselves.

I'm sure you're right. I don't look at things like tacview with a stopwatch. I spent a couple of hours on that server this morning all of it on swedish delivery, give or take a bit of time if you want to, I don't mind, it's not going in a logbook. If I had planned the pattern and had a briefing with speedog before we went I'm sure we could bang out 10 units in an hour or less, but that's not how the server works, we were communicating by text chat because I couldn't understand him on SRS. I did eventually get into a rythym, pre-spawning the crates so I didn't have to land and could just hover and go, but initially I was mosying around, trying to see what was already there, what I'd put down already, and since I didn't have the tactical commander map view, trying not to place it all too close together or double up (you can see I placed the vulcans WNW of the farp too close together) and trying to think of what approaches the Hinds would be coming in at, and trying to place AD in a position where they wouldn't be seen until the enemy was in the "no escape zone". I even managed to shoot down a hind that was so tunnel visioned on looking for targets at the Farp he didn't see me hook behind him. I was just hoping you didn't hook around the North and come over the hill behind us. 

I get it's frustrating. I got sore a couple of posts back about getting whacked by ground units in Hold the Line... turns out I just didn't do a good job of placing defences. Red's issue in this mission wasn't our AD, it was that when I checked occasionally there was only one Hind operating for much of the time and so the sortie rate was super low, I've no idea what the Mi-8 was up to, never saw it. You could have come in high and had a better view and picked off the air defences, but you'd of been at risk from the fighters and that's what we wanted, to keep you out. I don't know what the jets were up to but I didn't see much of them. 

Anyway. We obviously aren't going to agree, my concessions to your point aren't enough and I'm not going to concede any more than I have to your frustrations. Alpenwolf has a talent for these things and I'm sure he'll make any adjustments he thinks it's necessary. Since it's not like Blue win this scenario time after time, I think it's fine as it is.

Edited by Grievo
Syntax

31 minutes ago, CrazyGman said:

2 hours..... Grevio I timed it in Tacview. You spawned 4 stingers by "yourself", not including speeddog around the farp in less then 30 minutes. So the 2 of you can put up 8 easily around the farp in 30 minutes. So we are supposed to take out a farp that can spawn unlimited stingers that can potentially have 5-7 up before the first wave of red even gets there? That's not even including the avenger and vulcans already there, and then all of the air cover provided by jets...Lets not kid ourselves. The 2 hueys by themselves with light loads can put that out to easy, and make the entire farp basically immune from air attack with out any additional air support at all.

It's not like there's always a team of transport helicopters doing that. It happens occasionally - which is good - and if, then see it as a challenge, otherwise let's just have stationary air defences with very few options for transport helictopers to keep things more monotone and doable.

I personally appreciate Mi-8 and UH-1 pilots doing that because it changes the dynamics of attacking that particular TA. And if you had some Mi-24 and/or Su-25 pilots coordinating their attacks with you... well... that's where the FUN is! And you know how often I preach about teamwork and using comms. It's not the Huey's fault it became so difficult for Red to strike the FARP. Besides, why fly directly towards the FARP? When there were Ka-50's available still in Swedish Delivery, I once attacked the FARP from the east! Completely unexpected and Blue didn't find me at all for a little over an hour striking their FARP from afar and I even made it back home. It just happens that your casual DCS player often goes for a head on collision with the enemy rather than flanking. So it's teamwork on one hand and patience on the other. Hard to get these two let alone both simultaneously in DCS or any other game! Still, I always aim for both in all my missions and always encourage players to do the same. One major reason why I started this server in the first place.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, Alpenwolf said:

It's not like there's always a team of transport helicopters doing that. It happens occasionally - which is good - and if, then see it as a challenge, otherwise let's just have stationary air defences with very few options for transport helictopers to keep things more monotone and doable.

I personally appreciate Mi-8 and UH-1 pilots doing that because it changes the dynamics of attacking that particular TA. And if you had some Mi-24 and/or Su-25 pilots coordinating their attacks with you... well... that's where the FUN is! And you know how often I preach about teamwork and using comms. It's not the Huey's fault it became so difficult for Red to strike the FARP. Besides, why fly directly towards the FARP? When there were Ka-50's available still in Swedish Delivery, I once attacked the FARP from the east! Completely unexpected and Blue didn't find me at all for a little over an hour striking their FARP from afar and I even made it back home. It just happens that your casual DCS player often goes for a head on collision with the enemy rather than flanking. So it's teamwork on one hand and patience on the other. Hard to get these two let alone both simultaneously in DCS or any other game! Still, I always aim for both in all my missions and always encourage players to do the same. One major reason why I started this server in the first place.

I'm for coordinated defense and varied tactics, and I did attack from different directions but from the north and east is pretty difficult because of how close the farp is to the hills to the east and north, you pop up over the hill and get engaged by The avenger or the M1's main gun and the vulcans which wouldn't be so bad but the blue EWR already detects you far out from the Farp so flying high is extremely difficult, most times I get shot down by    F-5s, Sadly the stingers are very difficult for petrovich to find, even spaming the direction he's looking in. And stingers are very hard to spot for any human player as well, i did manage to kill a handful, but the Hueys can put them up faster then we can find and kill them so it's not a matter of coordinating with players . I'm ok with having a handfull of stingers availible or if they were one shot by default, but there isn't much skill involved in grabbing 1 every 5-10 minutes in a Huey out from the farp and placing it 2-3 miles from the Farp at 20-30 degree intervals. Doing that a single huey can pretty much shut down attacks by Mi-24s and Su-25s

And that's my concern. 1 unit and player shouldn't be able to shut down an entire objective by itself with no counter and I feel that's pretty much what having unlimited stingers spawnable at the FARP does. Perhaps i'm wrong, but what would you suggest  to countering a single huey that can put up 4 stingers around the farp in the time it takes RED force to just spawn and get there, at the start of the mission, and then can continue spitting out stingers for the rest of the mission?

Edited by CrazyGman

2 hours ago, CrazyGman said:

I'm for coordinated defense and varied tactics, and I did attack from different directions but from the north and east is pretty difficult because of how close the farp is to the hills to the east and north, you pop up over the hill and get engaged by The avenger or the M1's main gun and the vulcans which wouldn't be so bad but the blue EWR already detects you far out from the Farp so flying high is extremely difficult, most times I get shot down by    F-5s, Sadly the stingers are very difficult for petrovich to find, even spaming the direction he's looking in. And stingers are very hard to spot for any human player as well, i did manage to kill a handful, but the Hueys can put them up faster then we can find and kill them so it's not a matter of coordinating with players . I'm ok with having a handfull of stingers availible or if they were one shot by default, but there isn't much skill involved in grabbing 1 every 5-10 minutes in a Huey out from the farp and placing it 2-3 miles from the Farp at 20-30 degree intervals. Doing that a single huey can pretty much shut down attacks by Mi-24s and Su-25s

And that's my concern. 1 unit and player shouldn't be able to shut down an entire objective by itself with no counter and I feel that's pretty much what having unlimited stingers spawnable at the FARP does. Perhaps i'm wrong, but what would you suggest  to countering a single huey that can put up 4 stingers around the farp in the time it takes RED force to just spawn and get there, at the start of the mission, and then can continue spitting out stingers for the rest of the mission?

Cries in Gazelle M 😖

You make a good point, but Mi8 dropping troops is a perfect counter to that tactic. Plus, in classic CA fashion their aim is godlike and can take down a Gazelle in a few shots or even a huey if unaware. Even though it's entirely possible for a Huey or Mi8 to spam AA units near the farp (which can be really annoying I concur) I'm pretty sure a couple uncontested Mi24, if not a single one, would obliterate the Farp in one sortie if the anti-air deployment wasn't there. I'd say it's a non issue when there is enough teamwork but can be a nightmare flying solo, which pretty much sums up the whole pvp experience imo.

I actually find the fact that a single Stinger or Igla dude can contest the capture more annoying, they sometimes don't appear on the map when using tactical commander or jtac slot and it can take a long time to find that single fucker, especially with the pathfinding being totally borked right now. But I think that the current state of CA won't make this fact change anytime soon. I also believe Hueys aren't able to load troops anymore for some reason.
In a perfect world, I'd rather have capture conditions be : 1) all hard units (tanks, apc, bmp, AAA,...) destroyed and 2) if team A remaining units or infantry in the area are in greater numbers than team B, then A captures.

Edited by ConkersBFD

2 hours ago, CrazyGman said:

Have an Mi-8 deploying a Shilka and he'll wipe out all stingers and Avengers on his own if not caught by enemy tanks. So again, teamwork. If others weren't contributing to the teamwork it's not your fault, however frustrating. You can only encourage them to do so.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

3 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Have an Mi-8 deploying a Shilka and he'll wipe out all stingers and Avengers on his own if not caught by enemy tanks. So again, teamwork. If others weren't contributing to the teamwork it's not your fault, however frustrating. You can only encourage them to do so.

Actually, with the Ka-50s gone, it might be better if the Abrams were replaced with M60s in Swedish Delivery? I think the Hinds ATGM struggle to destroy them, but I (Petrovich) could also have just been missing! 

31 minutes ago, Grievo said:

Actually, with the Ka-50s gone, it might be better if the Abrams were replaced with M60s in Swedish Delivery? I think the Hinds ATGM struggle to destroy them, but I (Petrovich) could also have just been missing! 

I believe it takes 2 ATGM to destroy an Abrams

1 hour ago, Grievo said:

Unfortunately M60 is not a driveable unit by players, which is the only reason the Abrams is the tank used on the server
I m sure Alpen would love to switch to the M60, given the chance, but it's not an option right now, given a *lot* of the CA gameplay happends in direct vehicle control.

38 minutes ago, ConkersBFD said:

I believe it takes 2 ATGM to destroy an Abrams

If they're well placed, yeah
I had situations where i hit the front turret plating and dealt no damage (that, or missed and can't see straight)
2 missiles from the side or back will take it out tho

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

I believe it's only 1 or 2 Abrams. And yes, Abrams will be removed from the server once M60's become accessible for players to drive.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

A NEW MISSION HAS ARRIVED!!!

Operation: Last Man Standing

Map: Syria - Cyprus

Important Notes:

1- Attacking all airbases is the objective!

2- KUB and Hawk sites are excluded.

3- SA-9 Strela's and Chaparrals instead of SA-13 Strela's and Avengers.

4- AAA's, the above mentioned IR SAM's and MANPAD's protect the airbases.

5- 2-4 IR SAM's/MANPAD's plus a number of AAA's, infantries and light APC's (neither BMP's of any kind nor Bradley's) at each airbase.

6- Mi-8's and UH-1's have no transport tasking! Use them as gunships.

Situation:

Red airbases: Cecitkale, Pinarbashi, Ercan, Kingsfield and a FARP -> must be activated
Blue airbases: Paphos, Akrotiri, Larnaca and Lakatamia

*** The mission lasts for 5 hours unless the objective is completed ***

The fight over Cyprus has begun!
Each coalition has 4 airbases (in addition, Red has a FARP that must be activated if they want to use it - see objectives). Red airbases are located at what is referred to as Turkish territory (except for the FARP) while Blue airbases are located at to what is referred to as Greek territory.

The objective is simple! Destroy vital structures at all 4 airbases of the enemy (the Red FARP is excluded) to ground his air force and thus gain air superiority over the area. See briefing images and read the objectives below to know what structures must be destroyed at what airbase.

RED Objectives:

All aircraft (helicopters included) are tasked with destroying vital structures at all 4 Blue airbases. There is one comms tower at each airbase that must be destroyed - see image. Check out other briefing images and study them carefully to know what structures must be destroyed, otherwise you might end up wasting ammunition on random buildings. Targets are marked by black circles.

Once a high percentage of marked structures is destroyed a message will appear on your screen to confirm the completion of that specific TA.

Mi-24's are primarily tasked with taking out air defences at the airbases. However, grab some S-24 rockets or bombs and destroy airbase structures at the TA's if you want to.

* Mi-8's are primarily tasked with taking out infantires and light APC's.

BLUE Objectives:

All aircraft (helicopters included) are tasked with destroying vital structures at all 4 Red airbases. There is one comms tower at each airbase that must be destroyed - see image. Check out other briefing images and study them carefully to know what structures must be destroyed, otherwise you might end up wasting ammunition on random buildings. Targets are marked by black circles.

Once a high percentage of marked structures is destroyed a message will appear on your screen to confirm the completion of that specific TA.

AJS37's:
In addition to destroying vital structures, perform SEAD to make striking easier, especially for helicopters.

AJS37's Waypoints:
1- Kingsfield airbase.
2- Ercan airbase.
3- Pinarbashi airbase.
4- Gecitkale airbase.

* SA342M's are primarily tasked with taking out air defences at the airbases.
* SA342L's are primarily tasked with hunting enemy helicopters.
* UH-1's are primarily tasked with taking out infantries and light APC's.

cyprus.png

Comms Tower.png

Paphos Airbase.png

Akrotiri airbase.png

Larnaca airbase.png

Lakatamia airbase.png

Gecitkale airbase.png

Pinarbashi airbase.png

Ercan airbase - 1.png

Ercan airbase - 2.png

Ercan airbase - 3.png

Kingsfield airbase.png

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 5

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

30 minutes ago, LoneS said:

Attacking airbases is the objective? Sweet!

Alpy did you destroy 3 A10A with vikhrs in the KA50 the other day on Fight Island mission? One of them was me 🙂 I shot a maverick at you but it missed 😞

Yes. 3 x A-10's, 1 x Gazelle, 1 x UH-1 and 2 x Abrams. I had to rearm and refuel at Qeshm Island airbase once. I even managed to get a lock on 2 different F-5's but they're so small and fast the Vikhr's missed them by 20-40 meters. If they only flew head on though. Now, imagine having Iglas in addition to the Vikhr's! That being said, I think I will force Ka-50's to have either Vikhr's or Iglas but never both at the same time. We'll see.

EDIT:

You were flying head on with me and I saw your Maverick in my Shkval TV coming at me. I notched, hugged the ground and ran away at 290+ kph while having your missile at my 9 o'clock. The tacview shows that the Maverick missed by 50+ meters which was very surprising to me. Good to know!

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

6 minutes ago, LoneS said:

ok ok ok stop boasting kiddo 😛

You have to know that the Maverick slows down constantly so by the time it got to you it was doing 400 to 500 km/h and if you were doing 290 plus like you said it becomes hard to catch you so no surprise. Good notch and speed I have to say which saved you. I think the hellfire is faster 🤔 so dont try this at home against Apaches kids 🤪

I didn't mean to but you pushed me 😉

Mate, you think I'd fear an Apache or any helicopter while flying my Ka-50?!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Just now, reichenwald said:

Do you think you'll do something similar with the Mi-24s R60s?

No, the Mi-24 will have access to both.

The Ka-50 is just about alright to be on the server. And only because of that I keep it very limited in numbers and only in 6 missions out of the currently 16 online missions.

Just now, LoneS said:

OHHH I hit a nerve there Alpy didn't I 😉

Yeah, you did 😉

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

1 hour ago, rossmum said:

New mission sounds really good, can't wait to try it out!

Got a night shift tonight so I'll put it online tomorrow. I can't risk not being around should anything be missing or go wrong.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

On 7/4/2021 at 2:28 AM, Alpenwolf said:

On a side note, I often see players flying the Hind solo. They instantly grab a Hind each and never bother to be the weapons operator for the other. I understand the itch for wanting to be the pilot yourself but maybe you could fly one sortie then swap seats in the next one with the other player. 4 eyes are better than 2 and Petrovich is Petrovich. Can't be as good as a human player. Just a suggestion.

FWIW - I had a bad experience a few days ago where someone manned the weapons operator spot, admitted they weren't on SRS (why would you join a multi-crew spot) and was not effective in the role at all. If you're not Gman or Tats, I'm not approving someone to join the weapons spot unless there's some chat beforehand.

Edited by batsoup

Offender Number 1 Charon:

grafik.png

Took off and imideatly started attacking friendly base. Only stopped after I shot him down

Offender Number 2 ElGato:

grafik.png

Did the same thing and only stopped once shot down by "friendlies".

Both flights accured directly after one another. As far as I can tell no F-5 was involved. As stated above this happend in the Phone Booth mission today

Edited by reichenwald
clarification
  • Like 2

Charon, ElGato and Phenomenon share the same "code" but have different IP addresses. I think it's the same guy who figured out a way to change his IP address. Anyways, it doesn't matter because he's banned for EVER and he could change whatever IP's or numbers he wants, it wont serve him at all. And by "for EVER", I literally mean for EVER! He could reach out to me in 50 years if planet earth is still around with me and him on it and the ban will still be there. That's how much I hate the parasites of this world!

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 5

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments