Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

I've always considered this situation an unfortunate balance of bugs. We appreciate your efforts trying to balance @Alpenwolf, thank you for trying suggestions.

8 hours ago, rossmum said:

Also, update: regardless what the patchnotes say, the issue persists. RIP.

If there is a RIP here it is the MiG21's broken RWR lock indications to others and radar overperformance issues that have been seemingly ignored since formally posted months ago (and there are earlier comments on these issues also ignored or overlooked). Most players are blissfully unaware of these MiG21 advantages as it is not as obvious in game or in tacview as the Viggen's speed bug. The availability of the unrealistic ASP pipper, that tracks targets, is also questionable. In the mean time the F5 has RWR functionality missing and the jet nozzle scheduling bug are still present. The Viggen speed and damage issues have shown improvement with the recent patches and show some hope of being resolved (and also HB were fairly honest and didn't say the recent patched fixed the issue, but were tweaks they could do while busy finishing the F14 and Forrestal).

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Viggen

• Updates to sidewinder pylon drag coefficients. (DCS changelog)

Also in the past I can't confirm but I'm sure that they have mentioned that the Viggen has a damage model, but the visual damage can desync and not have a visual damage model that correctly represents what the damage should be and again I think it was the case the visual model was too delicate/aggressive compared to the actual damage.

Hope the fact that the drag on the pylons have been fixed means that they are looking into fixing the drag and power values. 1450+-50kph soon TM hopefully and a good acceleration curve, not the 5g acceleration to 1.3mach then you hit a brick wall we have now.

Just now, LoneS said:

I know you hate these question but I'll ask 🙂

how many F-1 slots will blue have? will it replace any blue aircraft?

4-6 slots will be the standard. I'm leaning towards 6 though. Bigger missions will have 8-10 slots.

In some missions the F-1 will be added without removing anything from the Blue roster. However, if I add 6+ slots then I think (not sure yet) it will be on the cost of removing 2-4 F-5 slots to avoid imbalance. But these are just ideas so far. We'll see.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, pmiceli said:

Alpenwolf,

Any chance we can get Show Transmitter Name enabled on the SRS server? This will show who is talking on the SRS overlay and would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Question: not sure if this has been brought up before but can there be at least one mission where only the A-4 Skyhawk among mods is allowed? The latest update of this aircraft is splendid and has a proper EFM (I believe it's still a beta release) but my god is it realistic!

Screen_181124_100629.png

Edited by carss

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

5 hours ago, carss said:

Question: not sure if this has been brought up before but can there be at least one mission where only the A-4 Skyhawk among mods is allowed? The latest update of this aircraft is splendid and has a proper EFM (I believe it's still a beta release) but my god is it realistic!

Has been discussed many times, try the search function 🙂

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

6 hours ago, carss said:

Screen_181124_100629.png

My man, carss! Long time, mate.

And as you know, this has been discussed multiple times, mainly with you years ago 😉

Check out FAQ number 9 here.

And again, sorry to disappoint you, but if ED or third parties don't care about (or maybe just can't for whatever reasons) making it a module then it's on them, despite the A-4 being one hell of a Cold War plane. Shame. Waiting on the F-4 too among many other modules.

Every module we get is either way too modern and probably hasn't seen battle in real life or way too old; WWll. anything in between seems forgotten or neglected. Take the MiG-21 for instance. Why the bis version?! Why not some good old MiG-21 version that actually saw war in Vietnam, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, etc.? Why not have the F-16A or B for instance? How about the AH-64A? F-15A? F-18A? Get the picture? It seems as if they always push towards the most modern version they can get their hands on, when older versions saw more wartime and quite often in many different regions across the globe.

... So they're working on the Eurofighter -__-

Again, some too modern aircraft with ZERO wartime (thank God for that). As a mission designer, you're always looking for assets and aircraft that can suit a certain era, and have them all included to either try and replicate an actual skirmish that once took place, or come up with a fictive scenario but still based on what was used back in the day. And as a player you'd appreciate that, I dare presume. Why? Because it's like you're reliving some epic battle you might've read or watched a movie about. Pretty much as it is in some other video games featuring WWll stuff or Vietnam, etc.

The focus here, however, seems to always be on modules, their textures, how realistic the cockpit looks like, how the systems work, etc. which is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but they seem to neglect the outside world, which is the world outside the "cockpit". The very ambience you fly in and everything dynamic in it. Or is it dynamic? So where does the Eurofighter fit in all this really? Or am I just some annoying DCS player who is very finicky about everything while the majority of players is not? Maybe I am... I think, I am 😉

• Like 4

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

On 8/1/2021 at 6:31 AM, Alpenwolf said:

And as you know, this has been discussed multiple times, mainly with you years ago 😉

And again, sorry to disappoint you, but if ED or third parties don't care about (or maybe just can't for whatever reasons) making it a module then it's on them, despite the A-4 being one hell of a Cold War plane. Shame. Waiting on the F-4 too among many other modules.

Every module we get is either way too modern and probably hasn't seen battle in real life or way too old; WWll. anything in between seems forgotten or neglected. Take the MiG-21 for instance. Why the bis version?! Why not some good old MiG-21 version that actually saw war in Vietnam, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, etc.? Why not have the F-16A or B for instance? How about the AH-64A? F-15A? F-18A? Get the picture? It seems as if they always push towards the most modern version they can get their hands on, when older versions saw more wartime and quite often in many different regions across the globe.

Again, some too modern aircraft with ZERO wartime (thank God for that). As a mission designer, you're always looking for assets and aircraft that can suit a certain era, and have them all included to either try and replicate an actual skirmish that once took place, or come up with a fictive scenario but still based on what was used back in the day. And as a player you'd appreciate that, I dare presume. Why? Because it's like you're reliving some epic battle you might've read or watched a movie about. Pretty much as it is in some other video games featuring WWll stuff or Vietnam, etc.

The focus here, however, seems to always be on modules, their textures, how realistic the cockpit looks like, how the systems work, etc. which is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but they seem to neglect the outside world, which is the world outside the "cockpit". The very ambience you fly in and everything dynamic in it. Or is it dynamic? So where does the Eurofighter fit in all this really? Or am I just some annoying DCS player who is very finicky about everything while the majority of players is not? Maybe I am... I think, I am 😉

Hey Alpenwolf, yeah you're right and I do wholly understand your point of view. Now I did speak to (I can't exactly remember) was it Chizh or Nineline asked them if they would integrate the A-4 into DCS as an asset, they said they'd gladly do it and they just need the yes from the main creators and they'd work with them. Now on the off chance that this happens just out of curiosity? Would you then maybe consider including it? Because then it won't break integrity nor would people have to download it

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

On 8/1/2021 at 1:31 PM, Alpenwolf said:

Take the MiG-21 for instance. Why the bis version?! Why not some good old MiG-21 version that actually saw war in Vietnam, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, etc.? Why not have the F-16A or B for instance? How about the AH-64A? F-15A? F-18A? Get the picture? It seems as if they always push towards the most modern version they can get their hands on, when older versions saw more wartime and quite often in many different regions across the globe.

I can answer this specific question. The Leatherneck lead developer at the time of the Mig21BIS development was an active duty Serbian fighter pilot. The MiGs he flew were of the Mig21 BIS variant, at the time he flew on that type they were already old and mostly obsolete but still in service since they were the most common fighter type that Yugoslavia operated and that Serbia and the other nations who formed after the breakup of Yugoslavia inherited. (I'm not sure about Serbia, but for example Croatia still operates a few BIS Migs that are operational) It's not always about what they want to develop, but what they have access to. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

3 hours ago, carss said:

Hey Alpenwolf, yeah you're right and I do wholly understand your point of view. Now I did speak to (I can't exactly remember) was it Chizh or Nineline asked them if they would integrate the A-4 into DCS as an asset, they said they'd gladly do it and they just need the yes from the main creators and they'd work with them. Now on the off chance that this happens just out of curiosity? Would you then maybe consider including it? Because then it won't break integrity nor would people have to download it

In that case, yes! Everyone would have it by default and no additional constant monitoring of that mod is required.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I can answer this specific question. The Leatherneck lead developer at the time of the Mig21BIS development was an active duty Serbian fighter pilot. The MiGs he flew were of the Mig21 BIS variant, at the time he flew on that type they were already old and mostly obsolete but still in service since they were the most common fighter type that Yugoslavia operated and that Serbia and the other nations who formed after the breakup of Yugoslavia inherited. (I'm not sure about Serbia, but for example Croatia still operates a few BIS Migs that are operational) It's not always about what they want to develop, but what they have access to. 

Thanks for the explanation. Although, I do doubt it applies to all the other modules I mentioned as an example 😉

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

@Alpenwolf Please correct me if I'm wrong but TrueGrit's lead developer is (or was, not sure about that) an active duty German Airforce fighter pilot who flew on....you guessed it the Eurofighter Typhoon type 😉

But I digress, I get where you're coming form and the fact of the matter is that most players will always want to get their hands on the latest and the best. It's understandable. I don't mind it, and I think that it's even skewed in our favor since we are still getting some great "oldies" in the pipeline. In fact most of the new modules in development are indeed cold war aircraft. The Mirage F1, the Mig23, Mig29A, the Crusader F-8, the A-7 Corsiar, the A-6 Intruder, etc. 

In fact I was extremely surprised that we are even getting a Typhoon, or that an AH64D is in development. If anything I would argue that these "newer" aircraft are the exception and not the rule where DCS is concerned. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

@Alpenwolf Please correct me if I'm wrong but TrueGrit's lead developer is (or was, not sure about that) an active duty German Airforce fighter pilot who flew on....you guessed it the Eurofighter Typhoon type 😉

But I digress, I get where you're coming form and the fact of the matter is that most players will always want to get their hands on the latest and the best. It's understandable. I don't mind it, and I think that it's even skewed in our favor since we are still getting some great "oldies" in the pipeline. In fact most of the new modules in development are indeed cold war aircraft. The Mirage F1, the Mig23, Mig29A, the Crusader F-8, the A-7 Corsiar, the A-6 Intruder, etc. 

In fact I was extremely surprised that we are even getting a Typhoon, or that an AH64D is in development. If anything I would argue that these "newer" aircraft are the exception and not the rule where DCS is concerned. 

Yeah, you're right about TrueGrit. And maybe I exaggerated a bit. I told you, I'm finicky 😉

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

To answer your first part, yes the lead guy at Truegrit was a Luftwaffe weapons instructor who first flew German F-4 Phantoms (still hoping for a Phreaking Phantom!) and then the Typhoon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

vor 1 Stunde schrieb carss:

To answer your first part, yes the lead guy at Truegrit was a Luftwaffe weapons instructor who first flew German F-4 Phantoms (still hoping for a Phreaking Phantom!) and then the Typhoon

"He" has also a name, Gero Fin(c)ke, and at the end of his service career was also a little more than "just" an instructor and pilot on both airframes.
He is also not the lead dev, but more the GM/rel equity holder - and he partnered as their PR project has seemingly gotten them some project(s)/contract(s) TrueGrit was gestated for and was after in the first place.

(Also would like to see and early Phantom, and looking forward to the a mid belly Lightning, not that it would matter but so I can utterly fail in more modules).

Edited by rogorogo

Am 1.8.2021 um 13:31 schrieb Alpenwolf:

There is a lot of relevance in what was typed here, and a lot that would need to be typed as addendum...
But given what core Eagle's approach to CM is and how they implement it - and what in result the median outline of those still interacting in this forum is, it is better left hinted.
Otherwise it might just be lost to time, like vanishing in a black hole, without a hint of a trace.. or warning.

Moreso since the early CW era is the one most suitable for DCS MP given its current technical state, functionality and participants, while modern struggles even more to represent the integrated nature and focus of most modules due to chaotic (the systemic descriptive term) participation than it is already the case with some early CW era modules (GCI dependent interceptors fe).

But maybe we should notice that "some" cohesive padding effort in terrains and module mapping erawise seems to be given thought to, lately. 
As seems to be the case in for franchise/market production suitability.
And somewhat finally in global standardization (technical, outline, approach, codeconcept) franchisewise and some (very) rudimentary form of knowledge management.
It only took a decade, and a change in ownership (which in itself is more fleeting in its goals than most would assume due to its very own relevant factors and winds of change soon™).

Short bug report (unrelated):
"Mountain Peaks" mission. Status message of target showed Blue Coms towers active that were destroyed (towers and most surrounding assets, some AA still up that was NOT relevant accordng to briefing), so maybe a trigger failed or some other lua bug.

Edited by rogorogo

50 minutes ago, rogorogo said:

"He" has also a name, Gero Fin(c)ke, and at the end of his service career was also a little more than "just" an instructor and pilot on both airframes.
He is also not the lead dev, but more the GM/rel equity holder - and he partnered as their PR project has seemingly gotten them some project(s)/contract(s) TrueGrit was gestated for and was after in the first place.

(Also would like to see and early Phantom, and looking forward to the a mid belly Lightning, not that it would matter but so I can utterly fail in more modules).

What is the A mid belly Lightning?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

vor 24 Minuten schrieb carss:

What is the A mid belly Lightning?

"Mid era evolution Lighting", noticeable by the "fat belly" (airframe extension) that remained an identifying feature until the last evolution of the airframe, even if the truly British and wonderfully weird missile hardpoints were not present/mounted/removed.

2 minutes ago, rogorogo said:

"Mid era evolution Lighting", noticeable by the "fat belly" (airframe extension) that remained an identifying feature until the last evolution of the airframe, even if the truly British and wonderfully weird missile hardpoints were not present/mounted/removed.

Well I believe Razbam is actually working on an EE Lightning so there's that, not sure if it's the one you want

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

vor 53 Minuten schrieb carss:

Well I believe Razbam is actually working on an EE Lightning so there's that, not sure if it's the one you want

It is, look at the WIP pictures - any of those it "is" Mk-wise and "could represent" loadout-wise would fit nicely to pad out the earlier Cold War era.

That the full fidelity Mig-29 will be most likely an "A" is also good news (another "pilot's plane" that flies for that era instead of a Sega-Nintendo-clicky-frame).

Edited by rogorogo

21 hours ago, carss said:

It won't, as the A-4 guys have made it clear that they intend to keep it as a free, community-led project without signing anything over to ED or any other official party. IIRC one of the team passed away during development and so the already decided-upon position became basically set in stone to honour their wishes. It's unfortunate for us multiplayer creatures, but it is what it is.

18 hours ago, Lurker said:

Funnily enough though, all the aircraft you have mention apart from the MiG's will be their late in production and service life variants, so in part we will always get the latest of an aircraft in DCS, rather than what they were in initial production or early in their service lives. The A-6E, A-7E and F-8J which realistically are all out of the Rolling Thunder timeframe, with both the 6E/7E being out of Vietnam completely. So no, we still don't have a realistic complete set of aircraft for any timeframe. Heck even our current F-14A doesn't fit within any coldwar scenario. 

• Like 2

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

1 hour ago, Gunslinger22 said:

Funnily enough though, all the aircraft you have mention apart from the MiG's will be their late in production and service life variants, so in part we will always get the latest of an aircraft in DCS, rather than what they were in initial production or early in their service lives. The A-6E, A-7E and F-8J which realistically are all out of the Rolling Thunder timeframe, with both the 6E/7E being out of Vietnam completely. So no, we still don't have a realistic complete set of aircraft for any timeframe. Heck even our current F-14A doesn't fit within any coldwar scenario. 

All of the aircraft above were developed and served during the years of the so called "Cold War" conflict. Just because we are not getting specific variants that were active in specific conflicts, such as the above mentioned Rolling Thunder timeframe, doesn't mean that they weren't in active service until 1991. Most "cold war gone hot" scenarios are fictional anyway, so while yeah I agree you wouldn't be able to say simulate Rolling Thunder (let's forget for a moment that we don't even have a Vietnam map) there are still a multitude of theoretical fictional scenarios you could design and populate with those modules. 

Edited by Lurker