Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Are all the modules involved in my missions able to carry rear aspect missiles? I thought the Harrier for example can only mount Aim-9m's. I don't own the module, but that's what I was told about it. I don't own the Viggen, nor the F-5 so I can only rely on what those who do tell me.

If i remember correctly, not all of your missions involve those new aircraft. Can't load up DCS at the moment to check those.

"Cold War" modules all aspect missiles:

AIM-9P5 (F5E)

RB-74/AIM-9L (Viggen)

R-60M (MiG21 - in my experience at least in DCS, RL might differ)

Maybe someone knows more about the other modules.

Are all the modules involved in my missions able to carry rear aspect missiles? I thought the Harrier for example can only mount Aim-9m's. I don't own the module, but that's what I was told about it. I don't own the Viggen, nor the F-5 so I can only rely on what those who do tell me.

This is correct, Harrier is AIM-9M/CAP-9M only, thats the only one I can help with.

Aside from being an unnecessary complication, I don't think loadout restrictions will change the style of the fighting on the server. Most of the kills I inflict/observe/suffer are indeed undetected missile shots, must often to the rear quarter, and come from one player's failure to observe the other, whether getting jumped outright or one loses visual in a turn. Even with the "all-aspect" AIM-9P5 of the F5 I almost never fire it from anywhere but behind an opponent. I don't see loadout restrictions changing this, and when I want turning gunfights in jets there are excellent Korean era servers. Of course, plenty of kills are inflicted on unsuspecting aircraft there too. Essentially my point is that in the visual arena we play in, I think gaining sight/keeping sight will continue to be the greatest determining factor in who flies home.

Additionally I wouldn't want to see the strike planes defanged, it is already hard enough to get anyone to focus on the ground objectives.

That said, nothing personal at all against anyone, just a contrasting opinion; everyone has their own thing. Cheers all and thanks as always to Alpenwolf for keeping the server so fun and engaging and being involved with the community.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Could there actually been a time in RL where the mig21 and the f5 with only rear aspect missiles. If yes then I think atleast a couple of the missions should be like that. Also why don't we just give it a trial, you never know we all might like

As much as I like the idea of having rear aspect missiles only, but the fact remains that you can't have that for all modules. Just like others here have confirmed that. Crippling the Su-25's is not an option. Players wouldn't find it incentive to go on a strike mission without AA missiles for self defence. The R-60 of the MiG-21 behaves differently than that of the L-39 and Su-25. Different developers, so different missile behaviour! Even if both the Su-25 and L-39 were made by ED.

The idea is not easy to implement. But should it be the case one day, I'd love to test i out. Apart from that, most kills do not take place head on.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

My flight group is available, if you want, to perform comparative tests with the other modules if you are interested, we fly on all

[sIGPIC]2RGT DCS WORLD ITALIA[/sIGPIC]

DIAVOLO 1-1 | 2RGT OBERST

2RGT DCS Gruppo Volo Italiano

Canale Youtube: 2RGT OBERST

Facebook: DCS World Italia - 2RGT -

Canale Twitch: 2RGT OBERST

LIVE!

The idea is not easy to implement. But should it be the case one day, I'd love to test i out. Apart from that, most kills do not take place head on.

Nice! That head on thing might be only my own experience especially in the F5. But be aware that as soon as you don't fly alone tactics change a lot with all aspect missiles.

This was just an idea for a server that stands out and has nothing that compares to it.

My flight group is available, if you want, to perform comparative tests with the other modules if you are interested, we fly on all

What a great offer!

Consider the following mission idea:

RED:

Mig-15

Mig-19

Mig-21 (no r-60m)

L-39ZA (no r-60m)

BLUE:

P-51D

F-86

Viggen (no Rb-74, no mavericks, no BK-90)

F-5E (no Aim-9P5)

Blue team would be on the offensive, targeting red SA-2/SA-3 and EWR sites with old school wild weasel missions (rockets/dumb bombs only).

Once SAMs are down, AI B-52s could spawn in to attack different targets.

Also blue could attack soft, area targets (concentration of trucks, tents, light buildings) defended by light AAA.

No guided A/G weapons! :)

RED: obviously, defend the objectives and intercept B-52s

Possible side mission: destroy rebel ground targets (insurgents),

Would be great to know which module has what missiles. Thanks, my friend :thumbup:

RED:

Mig-15

Mig-19

Mig-21 (no r-60m)

L-39ZA (no r-60m)

BLUE:

P-51D

F-86

F-5E (no Aim-9P5)

Blue team would be on the offensive, targeting red SA-2/SA-3 and EWR sites with old school wild weasel missions (rockets/dumb bombs only).

Also blue could attack soft, area targets (concentration of trucks, tents, light buildings) defended by light AAA.

Sounds good! Currently working on a mission though, so it'll be some time before I start working on yet another one. But I'll add the P-51D to the mission being developed currently. Simply because the scenario I have kinda allows it, and you asked for it :smilewink:

The mission Open Range features B-52's. The missions Ossetia and Supervision have a scenario of Blue attacking and Red defending, so that's there already, as you might know.

The mission I'm working on currently will feature no Froggies nor Harriers anyway, so I'll consider your idea of limiting the AA weaponary.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

RED:

Mig-15

Mig-19

Mig-21 (no r-60m)

L-39ZA (no r-60m)

BLUE:

P-51D

F-86

F-5E (no Aim-9P5)

Yeah, some missions with early Cold War settings like this would be a great addition. Especially with early and eneffective SAM sites like the SA-2! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

sounds a bit Nato favored, since R60M are allready crappy enough compared to the Aim9p

and the alternative R3S isnt much better obviously

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

sounds a bit Nato favored, since R60M are allready crappy enough compared to the Aim9p

and the alternative R3S isnt much better obviously

This change will only be added to the new mission, buddy. If it's really so crappy, then things will go back to normal. Let's just test it out.

By the way, good to see you're still around, mein Lieber :thumbup:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Originally Posted by HWasp

quote:

RED:

Mig-15

Mig-19

Mig-21 (no r-60m)

L-39ZA (no r-60m)

BLUE:

P-51D

F-86

F-5E (no Aim-9P5)

unquote.

I dont know if You own the module but the L39 R3 and R60 missiles are very different to the mig21 ones.

The r3 is usefull against only non manuvering targets. Even to lunch it You cant pull more than 1,5 g yourself.

The R60 on the L39 is rear aspect only (not all aspect as on Mig21)with very pitifull range

So L39 should retain the R60

I dont know if You own the module but the L39 R3 and R60 missiles are very different to the mig21 ones.

The r3 is usefull against only non manuvering targets. Even to lunch it You cant pull more than 1,5 g yourself.

The R60 on the L39 is rear aspect only (not all aspect as on Mig21)with very pitifull range

So L39 should retain the R60

I'm aware of that about the L-39. I fly the module quite often. The new mission will have these restrictions upon release. If things go bad, we go back to normal. Plain and simple.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Sounds good! Currently working on a mission though, so it'll be some time before I start working on yet another one. But I'll add the P-51D to the mission being developed currently. Simply because the scenario I have kinda allows it, and you asked for it :smilewink:

The mission Open Range features B-52's. The missions Ossetia and Supervision have a scenario of Blue attacking and Red defending, so that's there already, as you might know.

The mission I'm working on currently will feature no Froggies nor Harriers anyway, so I'll consider your idea of limiting the AA weaponary.

Awesome! Thank you! Looking forward to the new mission :joystick:

Regarding the C-101, I have seen some vids on youtube showing, that it is basically unkillable right now due to some damage modeling problems. Didn't test it yet though...

Edited by HWasp

Alpenwolf, wanted to say great server. I really enjoy the older generation of aircraft that forces a more manual flying and fighting approach.

Good to hear new missions are in development, a mission with older gen heat seekers encouraging guns only would be really neat.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

If we're going to go rear aspect only, instead of limited all aspect, go all the way.

AIM-9B and R-3S only. (Maybe RS-2US and R-55 for MiG for the lolz)

Limit the AWACS, either have down time in their availability or replace them with ground EWR (easier to hide from w/ terrain)

Just my opinion of course, do whatever you think is best Alpenwolf, that is certainly working well so far :thumbup:

... Limit the AWACS, either have down time in their availability or replace them with ground EWR (easier to hide from w/ terrain)

AWACS sucks anyway. If I'd limit that, it'd be aweful. So it is limited initially :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hi Alpenwolf,

Your server looks very nice, thank you for running it. I flew only once but plan is to start using it more often once I find a f-5 wingman to practice and fly with. Also currently working on the Fishbet so I can be aware of it capabilities as well.

I have a question tho - Do you consider removing own Icon from the F-10 map ? It is really braking the realism and removes the need of navigation skills from the pilots,which is a big part of flying. I can say as being part of 39th VFS, that in SQs Korea server, removing the F-10 map nav worked well.

Another thing me personally don't like is the added too modern aircraft in the missions, like mystral, ka-50, harrier, a10a, I am not sure if su25T is included as well. Those have very accurate A2G capabilities in comparison to the main frames Tiger and fishbed and makes the use of them for A2G pointless.

Also, do you consider adding a mission in PG map to kind a reproduce Iran-Iraq war ? We have plenty of birds matching this war and I am surprised it is ignored in the MP servers. We have F-5, 21, F-14A is coming, F-4 is coming, UH1, Mi-8, Su-25, l39 and all of them are pretty much matching the correct variants too.

This all is just my 2cents. Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

as far as i know, the f10 map doesn't show your position ... so you need to navigate with your onboard tools

and about the f14: a decision has been made that this will not be available on the server, regardless of the setting

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

as far as i know, the f10 map doesn't show your position ... so you need to navigate with your onboard tools

and about the f14: a decision has been made that this will not be available on the server, regardless of the setting

I am not sure why I thought F-10 map was there, good to hear I was wrong and it is not.

As for the f-14, I read most of the thread so I am aware for the current missions and I totally agree. I was saying for the future consideration of replicating iran-iraq war fighters in PG map.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@metzger:

The F-10 option was never avialable on the server. No idea how that seemed like it to you.

The PG map will be added. Maybe a mission or two, because most players don't have it.

For an Iraq-Iran scenario, the F-14 would be legit, you're right. But then the MiG-29 too. The server is based on the MiG-21 and the F-5. Adding the two would simply change the core scenario of this server. Still, I have some ideas on my mind! Can't say no more, so let's stop right there and not speculate :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments