Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

I'll add 2-4 Harriers to the mission Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed and see how it goes. It has late 90's sophisticated systems onboard but no BVR capabilities which is why it was added to the server in the first place with me being very reluctant about it.

As I always say; the Harrier and the Su-25T will be removed once an alternative is presented. Which is why they're not included in all missions. The Mi-24 will be the main attack helicopter and as such less Ka-50's will be available. The Ka-50 fits the 80's era so no problem with it really, unless it's a 70's or 60's scenario as it is the case in some missions where no Ka-50's are available, but the Mi-24 will be.

I believe work on the AH-1 will start once the Hind is released. Will also be added. So maybe the OH-58D (first flight - 1983) will be added here and there until the AH-1 arrives (depends on the AH-1's version).

... and so on and so forth...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Hey Alpenwolf can you check this?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=271064

That's exactly what I do. Or not?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Will do.

EDIT:

There have always been 2 x Saudi F-5's, buddy! You got me confused there because I was sure I had them added. Just checked and they are.

Ah ok, thanks I'll check em. Can there be more? Just curious. Since it's a PG mission it makes sense for more Saudi F-5s to be there.

Also for the Asian mission, along with South Korean F-5s, maybe Japanese F-86s would be an excellent addition. It sure sounds great for the upcoming Mariana Islands map! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

I remember your approach regarding the above.

The problem with mods is they force players to download them to be able to join the server as you know. So for that mission the server will be almost empty for several hours until it rotates. Can't do that. I'd upset a good number of people.

Ok understood, I think Razbam is actually making a proper module of the A-4M or A-4Q so maybe it could happen in the future! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

Ok understood, I think Razbam is actually making a proper module of the A-4M or A-4Q so maybe it could happen in the future! :)

And I shall welcome it right away.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

is there any information for Mission 19 about the logistic section on the captured airfield?

Not sure I understand what you mean, but if you press the F-10 key to view the map, you can then see which airbases are neutral, Red or Blue by clicking on them.

I think the question was whether helos can load troops and stuff at captured bases, and if so, where exactly.

I think the question was whether helos can load troops and stuff at captured bases, and if so, where exactly.

No they can't. Otherwise one helo could capture an airbase and move on to the next one and finish all 4 in less than an hour.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

One major strength of this server is its fairly balanced setting without using hilarious planesets that you see on other servers for balancing reasons.

Limiting weapons currently is very difficult for mission designers, I have learned.

Also, this F/A-18C we have in the sim is by far not an 1980s aircraft avionics-wise.

I'd be ok with the Harrier for Blue, as Red has the KA-50 due to missing alternatives for the red side, but as Alpenwolf said: Let's not start this discussion again. This server is good as it is.

Fully agree with Pilot Ike and Alpenwolf.

Let's keep these planes on until a suitable replacement arrive.

Alpenwolf, in regards of the communication issue that you have raised a few times, is there perhaps a way to limit the choices of com's and just stick to perhaps SRS? Or maybe the working DCS com's that we already have in the simulator?

Great work!

[DEVILS 666] NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know I'm going to get crap for this but... why is this a cold war server but it lacks certain cold war planes during certain missions that take place during a certain time period?

If you're doing a 1980's mission, can't you restrict the F-14 and F/A-18 to sparrow missiles?

AV8B Night Attack was introduced in 1989 as well, still a Cold War plane if you do missions between 1989 and 1991.

A lot of the mission dates show 1980 - which makes even the M2000 (1984) and MiG-29 (1982) anachronistic, though they're in there with heaters only. A-model Hornets and 14Bs would be appropriate for the mid-to-late 80s, but we don't have an A-model Hornet, we have a C with mid-00s avionics upgrades. Even if you limit it to Sparrows, it's so much more capable than an 80s F-18 it's not funny.

I really wish we had earlier teens, but we don't - probably the best blue fighter aircraft we'll see for the period will be the Mirage F1, F-14A (though that comes with problems of its own), F-8, and Phantom (if we ever actually get it). I don't see much chance of any devs sticking their necks out for A-model teens and they're such fundamentally different aircraft, they would need to be separate modules.

A lot of the mission dates show 1980 - which makes even the M2000 (1984) and MiG-29 (1982) anachronistic, though they're in there with heaters only. A-model Hornets and 14Bs would be appropriate for the mid-to-late 80s, but we don't have an A-model Hornet, we have a C with mid-00s avionics upgrades. Even if you limit it to Sparrows, it's so much more capable than an 80s F-18 it's not funny.

I really wish we had earlier teens, but we don't - probably the best blue fighter aircraft we'll see for the period will be the Mirage F1, F-14A (though that comes with problems of its own), F-8, and Phantom (if we ever actually get it). I don't see much chance of any devs sticking their necks out for A-model teens and they're such fundamentally different aircraft, they would need to be separate modules.

Well there are many other planes in the pipeline too that are appropriate like the A-7 Corsair and the Mirage III

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For "Swedish Delivery" I suggest implementation of EWR instead of AWACS. Although blue fighters and MAGIC were present, blue army aviation assets were constantly intercepted and slaughtered in the flat, rather coverless terrain yesterday.

In DCS, AWACS with a human operator is almost too powerful, F10 map gives away information that wouldn't have been available to operators in the Cold War.

For "Swedish Delivery" I suggest implementation of EWR instead of AWACS. Although blue fighters and MAGIC were present, blue army aviation assets were constantly intercepted and slaughtered in the flat, rather coverless terrain yesterday.

In DCS, AWACS with a human operator is almost too powerful, F10 map gives away information that wouldn't have been available to operators in the Cold War.

Good point. Will do.

EDIT:

Done.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Latest trend has been grabbing a dropped heavier armored vehicle, and drive it for the last part of the way and take over the airbases. The mission will be over in less then half the time.. like what happened on the Abu Dhabi mission yesterday. The bases should have some kind of defense for units like that, but still be easily to find when approached with aircraft or hilos for air to ground ops.

It is literally impossible to find a tank driving thru the streets of Abu Dhabi or forest sections on other maps.

3-4 well placed heavily armored tanks at neutral air bases would be a great solution. The Vulcans and Shilkas are pretty lousy against a human T72 or Abrams.

There was an incident 2 weeks back when a tank rolled in on Batumi airbase and started taking down Mig21’s while they were departing and taxying. That individual was proud of it and counted up to 30 planes down. This happened just an hour into the mission start.

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Latest trend has been grabbing a dropped heavier armored vehicle, and drive it for the last part of the way and take over the airbases. The mission will be over in less then half the time.. like what happened on the Abu Dhabi mission yesterday. The bases should have some kind of defense for units like that, but still be easily to find when approached with aircraft or hilos for air to ground ops.

It is literally impossible to find a tank driving thru the streets of Abu Dhabi or forest sections on other maps.

3-4 well placed heavily armored tanks at neutral air bases would be a great solution. The Vulcans and Shilkas are pretty lousy against a human T72 or Abrams.

There was an incident 2 weeks back when a tank rolled in on Batumi airbase and started taking down Mig21’s while they were departing and taxying. That individual was proud of it and counted up to 30 planes down. This happened just an hour into the mission start.

Either they're neutral or there are ground units holding them. Wouldn't really make it sense to have units at an airbase but it's not captured, but I understand your point. In fact, I figured someone will do exactly that some day.

I can only add tanks to the captured airbases to fortify the garrisons against ground units. But neutral airbases remain neutral I'm afraid, and there's no problem with someone driving a tank or an APC around. Combined Arms is a module one can really enjoy.

In the mission Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi, the airbases are very close from one another. So Combined Arms is issue there. I'll figure out something. Maybe troops insertion only in that mission.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

there's no problem with someone driving a tank or an APC around. Combined Arms is a module one can really enjoy.

Absolutely agree. Of course the aforementioned way of using tanks to snipe aircraft upon spawning is really ruining the game, but in general controlling ground forces would add tremendously to the simulation. It's a shame CA is placed very low on the priority list of ED.

Edited by Pilot Ike

Found a small error in The Desert Has Eyes. Twice when I've been Red Tac Commander, I've seen Blue attack Red EWR-4 but the message comes up that EWR-3 has been attacked.

Either they're neutral or there are ground units holding them. Wouldn't really make it sense to have units at an airbase but it's not captured, but I understand your point. In fact, I figured someone will do exactly that some day.

Ah, my secret is out: it's hella fun to drop an APC at one of the Abu Dhabi airfields and then drive it on the highway at 100 kph to go to the other airports. It's actually a very pretty drive along the water...

If you think it's a problem, it does make some sense to limit it so that only troops, not vehicles, can control an airbase.

I don't know if the F-14A or F-4E will ever come to fruition even though I badly hope they do. The MiG-23MLA seems to be developing still and possibly the Mirage F1 and F-8 are still being worked on as well. I have a feeling once these are out, they can probably shift the combat to late 70s, early 80s allowing the planes like Mirage 2K, MiG-29A, F-15 and F-14A to be in the missions as well. Although I agree, the F/A-18C (and possibly the F-16C too) even with limited weapons would be too modern simply due to its other capabilities that are modeled unlike the F-15 and MiG-29A FC3 models.

Found a small error in The Desert Has Eyes. Twice when I've been Red Tac Commander, I've seen Blue attack Red EWR-4 but the message comes up that EWR-3 has been attacked.

Checked it out and it's all good. Maybe you confused EWR-3 with -4?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Epic news, the Kfir is apparently coming to DCS as a paid module by a 3rd party dev. If so we're getting the following.....

Israel/Syria map

Mig-23

F-4

A-4 (Apparently Razbam)

Mirage III (Razbam again)

Kfir

Giving the perfect setting for an Arab Israeli conflict in the cold war!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]