Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

That tells a lot about the player base.

While it could be, and probably is, the player's inclination towards a challenge, it could also be the quality of monitor / display. Having an expensive IPS or VA display will give great black reproduction and contrast. A lot of cheaper TN monitors are probably not so good in this respect and it would make night mission less enjoyable. Not sure how VR fares in this regard, but I would hope give their cost they are good quality displays.

Not that this should stop there being night missions, more challenge :) Spotting an afterburner in the darkness is something else.

Edited by Sideburns
Typo correction

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

While it could be, and probably is, the player's inclination towards a challenge, it could also be the quality of monitor / display. Having an expensive IPS or VA display will give great black reproduction and contrast. A lot of cheaper TN monitors are probably not so good in this respect and it would make night mission less enjoyable. Not sure how VR fares in this regard, but I would hope give their cost they are good quality displays.

Not that this should stop there being night missions, more challenge :) Spotting an afterburner in the darkness is something else.

Yeah right.... 90% of the players can't fly on instruments and never tried an instrument approach and many doesn't even know what that is. Let aside doing more complex task like shooting or dropping a bomb. It will be the same with weather even when/if implemented better.

I remember similar discussion on assetto corsa forums, people cried for rain and weather. Then finally they implemented it in ACC and no body used it. Abd one of the devs said it in a discussion something like that, "everyone was screaming for weather and rain in the forums, now we made it and put a lot o effort to make it good now the.moment it starts raining, server become empty".

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A few weeks ago, we did have one mission of Prince of Persia where we as Red had taken five of the airfields and were desperately trying to capture the final one as the sun was setting. We were unsuccessful, but it was still a great experience. However, that was definitely the exception; all other PoP endgames have been quiet as people leave when it gets dark.

One possibility is to have one of the newer style missions start an hour or so before sunrise. It would add a new wrinkle to the "Helicopter Land Rush" part of the mission if they had to do it in darkness, but then the sun would come up and the rest of the mission would be just like normal.

Just a heads up, there are no SAM’s/AAA on the Prince of Persia mission.

Units appear after a base has been taken over.

[DEVILS] NELLUS

Just checked, everything is fine. And units should appear when a base is captured. No problem here either.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Maybe I found myself in DCS matrix.. flew first around the Red Farp, then of to the main Red Airbase and landed there. Did some wheelies on the apron in the Viggen and left the Stimulator.

Yes, the units appeared when base capturing.

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Catch Me If You Can was the first to have 2 hours of the mission's time at sunset and after. Immediately players started to leave the server and I remember at one time it dropped from 30+ players down to 10 or something. Various complaints were posted here so I had to change that. I mean, even now some players still leave the mission towards the end.

Cowards :mad:

Syria map finally announced! Time to start brainstorming mission ideas! :D

Modern, unfortunately - so urban clutter stutter hell like PG is. :cry:

Yeah right.... 90% of the players can't fly on instruments and never tried an instrument approach and many doesn't even know what that is. Let aside doing more complex task like shooting or dropping a bomb. It will be the same with weather even when/if implemented better.

I remember similar discussion on assetto corsa forums, people cried for rain and weather. Then finally they implemented it in ACC and no body used it. Abd one of the devs said it in a discussion something like that, "everyone was screaming for weather and rain in the forums, now we made it and put a lot o effort to make it good now the.moment it starts raining, server become empty".

Unless the airfield lights are off, you don't even need to know how to do an instrument approach. The last few times I played the evening version of Catch Me If You Can I was heading home to Gelendzhik in near total darkness (as the moon hadn't risen yet) following the lights from the coastal road, then spotting the airfield lights and following them in. I get that not everyone has the "bush pilot but in a jet" mentality I've somehow developed, but really, it's not difficult.

The only hard part of that mission was spotting things - because people STILL insisted on flying as low as possible, so radar was useless. I had hoped the darkness and fear of unseen terrain would force them higher, but all it did was push them out over the water instead.

A few weeks ago, we did have one mission of Prince of Persia where we as Red had taken five of the airfields and were desperately trying to capture the final one as the sun was setting. We were unsuccessful, but it was still a great experience. However, that was definitely the exception; all other PoP endgames have been quiet as people leave when it gets dark.

One possibility is to have one of the newer style missions start an hour or so before sunrise. It would add a new wrinkle to the "Helicopter Land Rush" part of the mission if they had to do it in darkness, but then the sun would come up and the rest of the mission would be just like normal.

Night and lighting at night in DCS is shit. Especially in VR.

I agree. There is no need to fly on instruments even so yes, I can fly on instruments if I would feel a need to learn but lets face it - you don't need it. Just try to fly on instruments on Prince of Persia and you will be sitting duck in a minute. And it is even less important in Georgia cause you can fly just by looking at the terrain recognizing it. I know for my self I need only IAS and AOA for landings. No, even AOA is not needed :D .

Weather in DCS is worthless piece of shit and it is just eating up FPS. Why? Because clouds are not synchronized in MP and can be unfair to a player that hides in a cloud. Hiding in a cloud is currently bullshit tactic.

Cowards :mad:

Modern, unfortunately - so urban clutter stutter hell like PG is. :cry:

Unless the airfield lights are off, you don't even need to know how to do an instrument approach. The last few times I played the evening version of Catch Me If You Can I was heading home to Gelendzhik in near total darkness (as the moon hadn't risen yet) following the lights from the coastal road, then spotting the airfield lights and following them in. I get that not everyone has the "bush pilot but in a jet" mentality I've somehow developed, but really, it's not difficult.

The only hard part of that mission was spotting things - because people STILL insisted on flying as low as possible, so radar was useless. I had hoped the darkness and fear of unseen terrain would force them higher, but all it did was push them out over the water instead.

Again, night and lighting in DCS is shitty, especially in VR and it is torture of looking at it. Why would we spend time on shitty things in our lives if we don't have to :D ?

Again, night and lighting in DCS is shitty, especially in VR and it is torture of looking at it. Why would we spend time on shitty things in our lives if we don't have to :D ?
So you are from the guys that when the dark comes,.just quits ? - Cowards!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think this would be a great idea Brown, Hilos are usually the first ones on the scene ayway :thumbup:

Metzger can then get his Night sky chasing if he so desperately wants it. ps.Tolovay is the last one you want to meet up there, so be kind.

Personally I think air to air operations are way more fun with some kind of sunlight.

The overcast addition on Ship Ahoj was a great touch Alpenwolf, viz down to 6km’s would also be a nice addition, just like you did on the Abu Dhabi mission. Cant remember the name of the other mission you had it on, but the bullseye was situated above the cloud base where you could only see the mountain tops.

[DEVILS] NELLUS

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

... I had hoped the darkness and fear of unseen terrain would force them higher, but all it did was push them out over the water instead.

I had hoped the same. Instead players went mad at me :(

... Hiding in a cloud is currently bullshit tactic.

Really?! Damn! I should never hide in the clouds flying my Su-25 then :music_whistling:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

So you are from the guys that when the dark comes,.just quits ? - Cowards!

Haha, another geek from another dimension who is safe behind a keyboard calling us cowards :megalol:. Come and say it to my face in person :D.

Haha, try to read and understand what I wrote :D . When sun goes below horizon, I QUIT because DCS AT NIGHT IN VR IS S.H.I.T.Y. I don't know which word you don't understand.

So please Mr. judge Knowsitall, will you be my sponsor and get mi the highest VR tech avaliable in the market so I can't have to look through shity mosquito net in oculus rift? No? Than stop complaining and get a life. :pain:

I had hoped the same. Instead players went mad at me :(

Really?! Damn! I should never hide in the clouds flying my Su-25 then :music_whistling:

Alpenwolf, no truly. :D My point is, what you I guess did not understand. Clouds are pointless in missions and are only makeup like whore has a lipstick in a pocket.

Btw, how did you fell rocket from last friday in vicinity of of Sukhumi? Feels good ha :D ?

Alpenwolf, no truly. :D My point is, what you I guess did not understand. Clouds are pointless in missions and are only makeup like whore has a lipstick in a pocket.

Btw, how did you fell rocket from last friday in vicinity of of Sukhumi? Feels good ha :D ?

So I'm a pointless whore with lipstick now?!

Kidding :smilewink:

Are you referring to the incident where a Harrier shot down my Mi-8? Well, I did get my revenge with that BMP-2 still. Combined Arms is really underestimated in DCS. Nothing's deadlier than a ground unit used by a player. Especially AA unit with a player who understands when to fire and when to hide. Driving around in the trees. Hiding behind buildings. That's a nightmare even for the A-10C!

The mission I'm working on right now is mostly about Combined Arms, Close Air Support and helicopter operations. The nuke bombs might be included and the mission might also feature anti-ship operations for both coalitions. The elements included in the scenario I have must "make sense" first before they are added to the mission.

Alright, enough teasing...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Haha, another geek from another dimension who is safe behind a keyboard calling us cowards :megalol:. Come and say it to my face in person :D.

Haha, try to read and understand what I wrote :D . When sun goes below horizon, I QUIT because DCS AT NIGHT IN VR IS S.H.I.T.Y. I don't know which word you don't understand.

So please Mr. judge Knowsitall, will you be my sponsor and get mi the highest VR tech avaliable in the market so I can't have to look through shity mosquito net in oculus rift? No? Than stop complaining and get a life. :pain:

Not quite sure why you involve irl here at all when we are speaking only about dcs so take it easy.

Speaking about dcs, we already met multiple times in the server and from what I see, if Alpenwolf introduce some sort of limited lives, you ain't be flying very long before run out of lives :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

... if Alpenwolf introduce some sort of limited lives...

I'd happily do it. The only available script for that (at least the one I'm aware of) is that of Ciribob. I tested it multiple times and it includes many other features that I'd rather not have. Taking those out would corrupt the script. So rewriting the script would be the solution but would also require a ton amount of work for someone like me with little .lua experience. I could do it but it would cost me time that I don't have. Can't invest more time in DCS.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Any chance to get the Viggen cluster bomb BK90 on all missions, since it is part of the standard weapon arsenal.

I'll check it out.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

No argument there from me! I don't think the Ka-50 or the Su-25T should be on the server, at least not with Vikhrs.

Additionally, the AV-8B in DCS is an early 2000s version. The biggest problem* with the Harrier is the HUD-integrated RWR: it far surpasses anything else on the server and can hunt down MiGs just from their radars. And since it's "hardwired" into the plane, you can't disable the functionality like with the weapons. But it is what it is...

*Well, aside from the unrealistic effectiveness of the Sidearm, but that's a Razbam/ED problem that will never change.