Question about ECM

TBear

Wording in the manual isn't 100% clear but I believe it does only emit when a threat is detected:

"XMIT. System detects and displays threats and then uses active electronic attack."

Yes..thats why I asked.

Also, are there keybindings to the varous ecm modes? I cant find them.

There's no keybindings.

You select the ECM modes with a knob behind the stick:

Main 3 modes are:

STBY: Standby. ECM is on but not functioning

REC: ECM will detect threats but not emit

XMIT (as said before): Will (I believe) emit only when it detects a threat

So when it is implemented, it is a smart ECM system that detects radars, and jams when it detects it should. It's not implemented yet though. There is a section on the ECM in RedKite's countermeasures systems video on youtube.

"Fighter pilots have ice in their veins. They don't have emotions. They think, anticipate. They know that fear and other concerns cloud your mind from what's going on and what you should be involved in." -Buzz Aldrin

I really wish the manual would say these things.

the manual isn't some kind of wiki that is updated on the fly, expect information to be not completely up to date. for example, when they wrote the manual it's fairly obvious they werent expecting the aim-7 to make it into ea.

i find it logical that something as complicated and relatively non-missioncritical as ecm would not take development priority over more core systems like radar, iff, and tgp that are already competing for development time.

Edited by probad

Given it will be silent until a threat is detected is there any time you would not have it turned on when in hostile air space IRL

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

yes, before you have been detected, otherwise you will give away your position and/or presence, additionally some weapons have "home on jam" feature which will zone in on your singnals.

Depends on the type of jamming. Continuous noise jamming sure, but if it uses deception techniques (would be amazing if this was modeled) then you really want to be using it at all times.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
it is not yet functional
After two years of waiting, it is quite frustrating. :mad:

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

• 3 months later...

No

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

• 2 weeks later...