Mid air refueling wish list

Akula

We all know how tricky and hard it is to learn Mid air refueling and what makes it even tougher is the tanker taking away the basket just because you've flown a little too far away from it. Then you gotta get in mega close again just to get the tanker to release the basket AGAIN.

Honestly ED, is it too much to ask to just make the tanker release the basket and LEAVE IT THERE until you've said good bye????

If you're trying to "simulate" real life then I'll add that NO boom operator or "basket deployer" would retract the basket or boom just because you've flown a little too far away, ESPECIALLY if you are in training and learning it all.

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

Best to learn formation flying first I guess.

Try this - it's a small training mission I created for myself to learn a bit of formation flying. You can change the waypoints to make it more challenging, this is just close formation 101 - you will get points according to your distance. Try to get more points each time you fly the mission to get better.

Training L02D - Formation - Close.miz

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Lol this is tougher.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

Yeah it is, but if you know how to confidently fly a formation it should not happen to you to drift too far away from the tanker, this is my point.

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Well regardless, the tanker should not be retracting the boom or basket every single time you drift a little too far. That's the main point and IRL pilots in training aren't restricted like this. It's a game thing, I get it but it should be changed.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

Well regardless, the tanker should not be retracting the boom or basket every single time you drift a little too far. That's the main point and IRL pilots in training aren't restricted like this. It's a game thing, I get it but it should be changed.

Agree 196% minimum! I almost punched my display when tried to refuel because that damn hose was retracted so many times. With KC-130 I could not even get close enough for them to release it.

Maybe I should try in higher altitude because at 5000ft the tanker hops and bounces like a rabies infected bunny.

• 2 weeks later...
Agree 196% minimum! I almost punched my display when tried to refuel because that damn hose was retracted so many times. With KC-130 I could not even get close enough for them to release it.

Maybe I should try in higher altitude because at 5000ft the tanker hops and bounces like a rabies infected bunny.

Set the tanker to fly at <altitude> Above Sea Level, not Above Ground Level.

Actually, the main point is that you are drifting too far.

It only happens when the tanker gets the impression you are moving away. Stay close, and you'll not see any weird behaviour.

So, as was stated, first, get really good at flying in formation. Forget tanking, and just stick close to the tanker to get used to how you need to use your control inputs to stick close consistently.

When you have that down, get the basket deployed, and start trying the more difficult bit.

Actually, the main point is that you are drifting too far.

It only happens when the tanker gets the impression you are moving away. Stay close, and you'll not see any weird behaviour.

So, as was stated, first, get really good at flying in formation. Forget tanking, and just stick close to the tanker to get used to how you need to use your control inputs to stick close consistently.

When you have that down, get the basket deployed, and start trying the more difficult bit.

Make sure you can stay in formation even in turns, because you'll need to turn with the tanker while refuelling.

As a starter - Use the Il-76 - it has a long hose with plenty of play once you connect, and is the easiest to refuel from. It's also pretty forgiving about sending you back to pre-contact.

Set it to fly right across the map in a straight line @ 3000m & at 150 km/h slower than the maximum speed you can get it to accept in the ME.

Once you can fly with it straight, you can try slower and with turns.

It's not how you'll end up doing it, but it will let you have a long straight attempt at getting close & the extra speed will mean you're in a better range for the throttle and will slow a bit faster while you practice sitting in close by the tanker.

Just practice flying formation with the aircraft and once you can hold a position, make that position right behind the basket, and then creep forward until you connect.

You can't have any more speed relative to the tanker than you can get rid of before you run out of play on the hose, and the more aggressively you're trying to bleed speed, the more likely you are to move up or down relative to the tanker and end up in a PIO or to lose speed and fall backwards off the hose.

If you're going to miss the basket (maybe the probe is just a bit too low and you're only a foot behind it), don't chase it, slow down a tiny bit, wait till the basket's in front of you again and fly formation with the tanker so that the drogue happens to be in front of the probe, and move forward.

I find refueling ridiculously easy. You should at least be able to match speed and fly formation

In what way is that helpful advice ?

Cheers.