[NO BUG] NWS H issue and rudder input

BoneDust

After landing on the carrier (Stennis) the NWS H will not stay active. You need to hold the button and it will still be only intermittently activated. In addition, the left rudder input causes the jet to turn right (opposite direction) intermittently.

Using simulation settings

single player

Mission was created using mission editor

Persian theatre.

Edited by BoneDust

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

After landing on the carrier (Stennis) the NWS H will not stay active. You need to hold the button and it will still be only intermittently activated. In addition, the left rudder input causes the jet to turn right (opposite direction) intermittently.

single player

Persian theatre.

This happens with me to.

CH PRO Pedals.

single player

Persian theatre.

Im new to the Hornet so keep that in mind but I never seen where the NWS H stays on. I've always had to hold NWS button for high gain. Could be intentional, could be a bug!

As for as the rudder issue, the only time I've noticed something like that was because of NWS H after rudder input. For instance, I am pushing left rudder, then I push NWS H button, the jet will straighten out then slowly start turning right. It will correctly work after releasing all inputs, then holding NWS H, then use rudder input. Give that a try and see if it works.

Windows 10 64 bit, Intel i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz, 16 gb G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2800mhz ram, Asus Prime Z270-A mobo, EVGA RTX 2070, 240gb SSD,500gb Samsung 850 evo SSD,500gb HDD, Warthog stick, TWCS throttle,, Thrustmaster T-flight Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5

Echoing Ryno1217.

This happens when you already have rudder deflected prior to activating NWS HI. What I do is release all pressure on rudder first prior to activating NWS HI and then rudder input to which direction you want to turn.

i7 9700k@5.0 Ghz, 32gb DDR4-3200, Maximus XI Formula, Asus Strix GTX 1080ti, 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Graphite Black, Wheelstandpro Warthog Deluxe V2, TrackIR 5 Pro. ROG Swift PG278Q 2560x1440, 12" Eyoyo LCD 1366x768 for TM Cougar MFDs.

Echoing Ryno1217.

This happens when you already have rudder deflected prior to activating NWS HI. What I do is release all pressure on rudder first prior to activating NWS HI and then rudder input to which direction you want to turn.

Much better wording than mine! Thanks

Windows 10 64 bit, Intel i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz, 16 gb G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2800mhz ram, Asus Prime Z270-A mobo, EVGA RTX 2070, 240gb SSD,500gb Samsung 850 evo SSD,500gb HDD, Warthog stick, TWCS throttle,, Thrustmaster T-flight Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5

Anti-skid is always off when I start on the Carrier and it works fine. The problem is after landing, but I will check the anti-skid to see if that cures the problem...thanks.

I have tried releasing pressure off the nose wheel, but it doesn't work after landing or getting to certain points on the carrier (random really)

It has always acted this way for me.

Edited by BoneDust

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Had that happen to me as well, thanks for the info with the AS.

Edited by mhe
Being silly

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Anti-skid is always off when I start on the Carrier and it works fine. The problem is after landing, but I will check the anti-skid to see if that cures the problem...thanks.

I think I was wrong about the anti-skid actually. Did some take-off and traps just there and NWS HI would engage with anti-skid off. I did have an issue before where NWS HI wouldn't engage and I was sliding around on the carrier when trying to move to the catapult area. Flicking the anti-skid switch on seemed to fix it but must've been something else going on - probably I dropped the launch bar by accident as that definitely prevents you from going into NWS HI per NATOPS:

2.10.2 If the launch bar is extended, nosewheel steering is disengaged, however, the low mode may be engaged by pressing and holding the nosewheel steering button.

I've also noticed that if you taxi with wings folded it automatically locks to NWS HI (which confused me initially), but then I read somewhere that this is exactly how it is supposed to work. I thought it was in the EA manual, but just did a search and can't find it there.

8700k, 1080Ti, 16GB 3200 RAM, Warthog Hotas, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution

It's working how it's intended. Low gain NWS is activated with the pinky button and stays on with wings down and locked and launch bar up. High gain can only be momentarily activated with the pinky button depressed.

With wings unlocked high gain NWS can be activated and left on with a single press of the pinky button. You can go back to no NWS with a single press of the paddle switch.

NATOPS:

2.10.2 Nosewheel Steering System. The nosewheel steering system is a combination shimmy

damper and dual mode steering system. It is electrically controlled by two switches on the stick grip

and hydromechanically operated through inputs from the rudder pedals and flight control computers.

With the flight control computers operating, momentarily pressing the nosewheel steering button

activates and engages nosewheel steering in the low mode (±16°) and NWS is displayed on the HUD.

Holding the nosewheel steering button pressed selects the high mode (±75°) and NWS HI is displayed

on the HUD. With the wing handle unlocked and nosewheel steering in the low mode, pressing the

nosewheel steering button causes the nosewheel steering to go to the high mode where it remains

without holding the button pressed. Momentarily pressing the autopilot disengage switch (paddle

switch) disengages nosewheel steering until reengaged by the nosewheel steering button. If the launch

bar is extended, nosewheel steering is disengaged, however, the low mode may be engaged by pressing

and holding the nosewheel steering button. On the ground, nosewheel steering is disengaged when

power is removed from the aircraft. Nosewheel steering is also disengaged with weight off the nose gear.

During landing, nosewheel steering is automatically engaged in the low mode with weight on the nose

gear.

NOTE

Reversion of NWSHI to NWS (low gain) occurs within 4 to 60 seconds

after touchdown due to LGCU BIT. NWSHI can be reselected.

If the high mode is desired during taxi, press and hold the nosewheel steering button. If the

nosewheel steering system fails, NWS and FCS are displayed on the DDI as cautions, the MASTER

CAUTION light comes on, and the NWS or NWS HI display is removed from the HUD. When failed,

the nosewheel steering system reverts to a free swivelling mode.

NOTE

With a channel 2 or 4 FCS failure, normal nosewheel steering is lost.

Emergency HI gain steering can be regained by pulling the failed

channel circuit breaker, unlocking the wings, and pressing the

nosewheel steering button. When the emergency HI gain NWS mode is

entered, NWS indications may not be displayed on the HUD. If

pressing the NWS button results in an FCS caution and single X in

the powered channel, emergency HI gain is not available.

Yes, NWS H will stay locked if your wings are folded. If wings extended then you need to hold the button down. I discovered this tonight...cheers

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png