Radar Elevation Axis Control Problem

In the controls -> axis commands section I tried to assign an axis for radar elevation control. It seems that assigning an axis for radar elevation controls how fast the indicator moves, not the actual location of the elevation.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

In the controls -> axis commands section I tried to assign an axis for radar elevation control. It seems that assigning an axis for radar elevation controls how fast the indicator moves, not the actual location of the elevation.

Apparently this is really how it works in the F/A-18. I couldn't verify, I just heard about it a long time ago when I was a little kid, when my county (Canada) had just bought a whole pile of the 18's (Which we call CF-18s).

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I was expecting something like the F-16 or Mirage 2000. The F-18 radar elevation control is a pain in the ass if that's how it really works.:doh:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

It should move the cone up and down when you scroll the wheel, or at least that is how it works in the real Hornet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I understand this, if you use a wheel as axis, I use the slider on my warthog and might as well assign it to a button since it has the same effect now. Since not everyone has an actual fa18 hotas or a scroll wheel (for which it would make more sense) it would be nice if both would be an option.

Referring to the real hornet doesn't realy help if you don't have the actual stick and throttle.

I understand this, if you use a wheel as axis, I use the slider on my warthog and might as well assign it to a button since it has the same effect now. Since not everyone has an actual fa18 hotas or a scroll wheel (for which it would make more sense) it would be nice if both would be an option.

Referring to the real hornet doesn't realy help if you don't have the actual stick and throttle.

+1.

Actually there is no HOTAS on the market that has a control that could be realistically used with the existing DCS assignment. Even the very expensive Throttletek replica appears to have a regular joystick axis that does not return to centre when released.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The Saitek X52 has at least one such scroll wheel AFAIK.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ahhh, so we would need a spring to return it to the center position. That makes more sense for the real controller. An option to make ours like F-16 radar elevation would be appreciated.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

+1.

Actually there is no HOTAS on the market that has a control that could be realistically used with the existing DCS assignment. Even the very expensive Throttletek replica appears to have a regular joystick axis that does not return to centre when released.

It actually worked quite well using the Y-axis on the mini-joystick on the TWCS throttle for it as that returns to centre, but now that I can use that for TDC I'll be re-mapping it.

+1 for being able to map this to a slider - I really want to use the pinky wheel on the TWCS throttle for this.

Would also like to see an alternative. I'm all for authenticity where it's practical, but control assignments that almost no one can use are a bit pointless.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

The Saitek X52 has at least one such scroll wheel AFAIK.

No it doesn't. The knobs have a center detent, but they don't return to center by themselves.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

No it doesn't. The knobs have a center detent, but they don't return to center by themselves.

They are not supposed to return to center. It's just an endless scroll wheel, which moves the radar elevation as long as it is beeing scrolled. If you scroll it fast, the elevation chagnes fast and if you scroll it slow, the elevation changes slowly. But there is no centering in any way. At least that's how i understand the radar elevtion scroll wheel on the Hornet. And from what I heard from a friend who uses the X52, there is exactly such a scroll wheel on the X52 throttle, which scrools into infinity.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

They are not supposed to return to center. It's just an endless scroll wheel, which moves the radar elevation as long as it is beeing scrolled. If you scroll it fast, the elevation chagnes fast and if you scroll it slow, the elevation changes slowly. But there is no centering in any way. At least that's how i understand the radar elevtion scroll wheel on the Hornet. And from what I heard from a friend who uses the X52, there is exactly such a scroll wheel on the X52 throttle, which scrools into infinity.

Unless I've misunderstood - that's not how it works in the game right now, it's only static when it's at the exact mid-point of the axis (which is basically impossible to set it to on a slider/pinky wheel axis - but works on something that returns to centre like a joystick), otherwise it's constantly scrolling up or down at varying speeds.

Nope.

An "infinite scroll" is an encoder, not a joystick axis. In the game you map it to keyboard/joystick buttons, not the axis controls. Every mouse scroll wheel is an encoder, and Saitek throttles have such scrolls.

The elevation axis control in the Hornet as it is coded right now, would work with an axis that returns to centre when released. So it has netural position in the center, and the more you deflect it, the faster radar elevation will change. Like a mini joystick, but one dimension only.

For now I mapped a big deadzone on the axis and set a big curve. That artificially makes the midpoint very large and allows for some degree of control. It's still not as good as the elevation axis on the Mirage 2000 or F-16.

That's weird, because the elevation axis control in the Hornet behaves differently for me. I mapped it to the slider on my Warthog throttle and when I use it, the elevation is only beeing changed while I'm moving the slider up or down. As soon as i stop moving the slider the radar elevation stops changing, but unlike in other airplanes (F-15, M2000, F-5), the radar elevation does move with the slider to mirror its position. Instead, the slider acts as a encoder, which feels super weird.

Or I'm imagining things. I will have to check when I'm home. I haven't used radar elevation much in the Hornet so far.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ahhh screw it. I gave up and mapped the elevation to the paddle on the TWCS throttle. The control is improved even if it is in the wrong place.

• 2 months later...

Most of us don't have enough axis controls anyway. I use the coolie switch (4-way hat) on my TM WH throttle for Radar Elevation and Radar mode.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• ED Team
Most of us don't have enough axis controls anyway. I use the coolie switch (4-way hat) on my TM WH throttle for Radar Elevation and Radar mode.

Actually, most of us have throttles with at least one knob, usually 2, coming to a total of 3-4 axes ON the throttle grip (not counting the throttle itself). The Warthog throttle is literally the only high end throttle with just a slew sensor. And not a single one has a self-centering axis that could simulate the one in real Hornet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the elevation mapped to a coollie hat on my Warthog throttle, but the elevation down button doesn't work. I have to use a key.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

• 4 months later...

I recently purchased the F/A-18C module and am setting my keymapping as I get more familiar with flying the Hornet.

Did anyone find a good solution for this?

Right now I have the radar elevation mapped to the dial on my TM TWCS and it keeps slipping off and going way up or down. I set a 10 deadzone and adjust the curve and the X (Y? - I've forgotten which) maximum. It works a little better but still is damn annoying.

I've read the solution to map it to the rudder paddles or to assign it to the hat, but the dial seems like the best/most intuitive solution.

Has anyone found a axis set-up that works well?

Edited by Kozure