DCS Crashing with EVGA 1080 GPU overclocked

ouseler

I just recently purchased a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 8GB GPU for my system. My prior GPU was a ZOTAC GTX 1050 4GB and for the most part, the exception of FPS stutter, ran DCS 2.5.0 quite well at lower settings.

After some tweaking in the A-10C control settings, I was able to get a very nice FPS with very good graphics on a med to high setting regime.

However, when I attempted to overclock the GPU, in any fashion, DCS 2.5.0 would either crash soon after launching or not start at all. Bring the GPU settings back to default and all is good.

Granted this is all based on my last occasion when I was able to get the FPS/Graphics I wanted and flew a mission with no problems. I may start it up again and get the stuttering back and have seen it before with the 1080.

What gives? Why can I not overclock the GPU?

System Spec are below.

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS

OC'ing never comes with a guarantee of success. You're pushing your hardware outside of it's operating regime and pressing up against component tolerances and voltage sensitivity etc.. In the first instance, make VERY small incremental tweaks to your OC profile. Hopefully you'll find a sweet spot that is stable.

I use to OC my graphics card but these days I just don't bother. I normally just push up the CPU frequency instead and find that gives more bang-for-buck than messing around with the GPU.

YMMV! Good luck!

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

the EVGA 1080 superclocked is already overclocked above the 1080 reference board.

so I wasn't surprised when mine didn't like to be pushed much further.

I have noticed that other games are stable with a higher overclock.

it must be the vram usage that does for DCS.

so just wind it in a bit.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I use to OC my graphics card but these days I just don't bother.

^^ Same for me.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

I believe I am having the same issue. I am a but of a super gaming computer noob. Mine is crashing on the Hormuz map a lot. So I am fine shutting down the overclock not sure where to go?

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5X- MB: Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX - RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s - HARD DRIVE: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5 - Corsair CX Series, CX750

If you have issues with your GPU overheating, use MSI afterburner (it’s free) and set a max temp for your GPU.

After all, do you want another 2 FPS, or a stable system?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.